July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I had not heard of that scavenger hunt. I sounds like fun. I'll have to consider that. It didn't really say when it starts. Is it now and you get the details when you sign up?

@kgirlhart Great run in those conditions.

• moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I had not heard of that scavenger hunt. I sounds like fun. I'll have to consider that. It didn't really say when it starts. Is it now and you get the details when you sign up?

@kgirlhart Great run in those conditions.

it started june 8th and will go till sept 16th according to the schedule
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7/1 – 0 rest days
    7/2 – 5

5 of 110 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July
    ISS Virtual 5K in July
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – Sept
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach 50% there!
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    I_Want_A_Donut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 3.27 miles
    7/2 - 2.18 miles

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @I_Want_A_Donut welcome!
    Hi @smcinto
    @ContraryMaryMary that is quite a story. Smart cat. I have lots of bunnies every year in my yard, my older dog just wanted to play with them and chase them as they got older. My new guy is a herding dog and loses his crap when he sees one out the window. After he chases it out of the yard he will pace for 15 minutes waiting to see if it comes back.
    @Avidkeo glad the calf is feeling better
    @eleanorhawkins what are these weird runs you speak about ha ha.
    @kgirlhart the humidity has been stupid here, I look like I got out of the shower before I get to 2 miles.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I did work on the limbs again today, but there wasn't as much tugging and pulling and climbing as there was yesterday. So, after we finished, I did do a treadmill run because it was just too hot to run outside. Plan called for a Long Interval Run - long being 3 minutes. LOL 10 minutes easy, 4 x (3 minutes hard/2 minutes easy), 5 minutes easy. I ran 3 miles and walked one. On the board for July!

exercise.png

I chose the shark because I'm feeling a little fierce today. But, it's so muted in the background, it's more stealthy than fierce. I can go with that.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So running storytime...

I was on the way back from my normal route, plodding along at "are we done yet" level of pace when this black cat comes trotting out holding a bunny in its mouth. It notices me and drops the bunny, and backs off a few steps. The bunny shakes its head and looks around like it was think "how in the world did I get here?" The bunny looked unharmed and I just kept plodding along so not sure how that story ended.

So you cat people, what do you think happened there? This is not a cat I know, just some random black cat and I was still at least a mile from home.

No idea what the cat was thinking. Sadly the bunny probably died later. I used to volunteer for a wild animal rehab and in early summer people were always bringing in only-slightly-the-worse-for-wear baby bunnies which looked fine, except for a little slobber from a dog or cat, which would linger a few hours then kick off. Bunnies are very susceptible to stress and like to just up and die for no apparent reason after being handled roughly. Since bunnies are the wild animal equivalent of a Happy Meal, they seem to be designed to go into a sort of torpor and die so they don’t suffer when being eaten.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Great run @quilteryoyo!

Great job on your challenge @rheddmobile! I love the comic. Sorry that your knee is still giving you problems.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Great run @quilteryoyo!

Great job on your challenge @rheddmobile! I love the comic. Sorry that your knee is still giving you problems.

Totally! I hope you turn these comics into a coffee table book some day!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Race Report! Final mile in the Virtual Timed Mile Challenge!

I feel like whoever at the local running shop decided to organize a speedwork challenge starting June 1 and ending July 1, in Memphis, must not have lived here very long! Normally I spend July trying to motivate myself to run at all while trying very hard not to die of heat stroke. The first of July is generally almost as hot as it gets here. Twice in a row I have gotten to the point of total cooling system malfunction - shivers with my hair standing on end - at the July 4th 5k race. And to add injury to insult, this past month my sore knee has been getting progressively worse, not better, so I wasn’t really doing any of the recommended training. But having embarked upon this challenge I wanted to finish it. The ostensible goal was to improve the time of a single timed mile as much as possible in a month, tested three times, at two week intervals. My personal goal - not to go backwards! I just wanted my third and final mile to be faster than my first mile.

Did I pull it off? Once again, my husband made a little comic about the challenge. (I’m getting spoiled - these little comics partly make up for missing out on real races.)

uj9h2kzian8g.png
    9qr477zizw8m.png
    4lksgqpm3hin.png

(Note - we had to swap to morning runs in the middle of the challenge because of the curfew.)

So there you have it. My final time did best my initial time, by three whole seconds! But according to a table about the effect of dewpoint on pace, 75% dew point equates to about a 4.5% to 6% slower pace, which means that our final 8:30 was equivalent to a pace 23 to 31 seconds faster. So, if the weather had been the same conditions as on the initial run, we might have run as fast as 7.59 - which is very close to my mile PR pace of 7:58.

I rested for three days leading up to this run in hopes that my knee would stop being ouchy, and ended up limping the next day. Not a good sign. I am definitely done with hard running for a while.

This is awesome. Your hubby is fabulous and talented. And great running too!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @QuirkyJules!

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @QuirkyJules!

...and you posed a good question.
    In the winter, I train with resistance bands and do yoga.
    In the good weather, I play golf and trout fish.
    I suppose that technically, neither really qualifies as cross training.
    I am pretty good at eating as well, which is definitely NOT good cross training.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi all, rest day for me yesterday so a little late to the party but I’m in for 75 miles (poss 80) in July. Going to continue alternating running and home circuits.

I’m off the mark today with 10k (6.2m). Glorious weather and a good pace.

July total: 6.2m
    July goal: 75m

June: 78m
    May: 80 m
    April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

What does cross training mean to you? What do you look for/avoid when choosing something and what do you feel works well?

A fair question and it's open to all to ask or respond. I think we did a what is your cross training question last month or perhaps the previous month. But not a why do you do what you do.

I don't get to answer. I'm a broken nonrunner.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/20 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    07/02/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 7.6

5 miles of hill repeats this morning. We started early but it was muggy and miserable. It got to 90 today so I was glad I got a run out of the way in the morning unlike my recent habits.

I'm off for another long hike tomorrow. Hoping to get my run in at some point during the hike maybe? I'm not excited about the probability that I'm looking at another 11 pm run after a 10-12 hour hike.

So that's what I'm doing for cross-training right now - hiking. I'm doing it for fun and spending time with friends outdoors, but also training for Spartan races when and if they happen again.

In case I don't have a chance to post for a couple of days, I hope everyone has a good 4th of Jul weekend. Hope there will be some fun to be had despite no events or crowds.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @rheddmobile So sorry that your knee is causing you so much problems. I hope your self care works and you're back to normal soon. Great job on your run and beating your starting mile time. But, if I read the cartoon right, didn't you beat your initial time by 9 seconds, not just 3?

@QuirkyJules Welcome! For me, cross training should be something that isn't putting the same continual stress on your legs as running does, but is still aerobic. I love tennis, so I do that a lot.