July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Ouch @elise4270! Hope it isn't quite as painful as last time!

What does cross training mean to you? What do you look for/avoid when choosing something and what do you feel works well?
    @QuirkyJules - For me cross training means anything that helps the rest of my body be strong to support my running. I was doing strength trying long before I became a runner so I continued with that as my cross training. While there was some lower body strengthening (glutes and hamstrings) the focus has been more on core strength and upper body. Having strong legs is most important for running but having a strong core and upper body also helps with breathing, form and stabilizing your body. I also like swimming and aqua jogging, hiking, fun fitness classes, etc. - anything that gets me moving!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    July Goal-I dunno

7/1 rest
    7/2 3.10

Total: 3.10

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png

@elise4270:
    My friend Kapali Lyon translated it for me....but he says you may need an XL to fit it all-English to Hawaiian is never a "word to word" affair:
    ʻO ka ikaika me ke ahonui o ke kanaka holo a mamao, ʻo ia ka hopena o nā ʻāʻumeʻume āna i lanakila aʻe ai, ma loko paha a ma waho paha o ke kāmaʻa holo.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @HonuNui IZ was a Hawaiian small. I've gained weight and feel like I use his clothes! We did, er I did aloha ka manini for Alex's funeral. It was beautiful. I love the Hawaiian language.

Translation for all
    The strength and endurance of the distance runner is the result of any race he has won, whether in or out of the running shoe.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    Wow @Elise4270 ! That knee really is swollen! Hope it starts feeling better soon!

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    0703-8k, total-8k goal-80k

It rained all night yesterday so this morning's run was cool and quiet, if a bit humid. Had 8 nice kms to kick off the month.

@Elise4270 That looks painful! Will try to send some healing vibes your way.

@QuirkyJules Welcome to the thread! For me, cross training is any exercise that's not running. So lifting, cycling, rock climbing, the whole nine yards. All training is good training. I'm working on becoming a more rounded athlete/person, and different training strengthens you up in different ways, so I'm in a bit of "everything goes" mindset.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Oh no, @Elise4270! Big hugs to you as you heal!

Welcome to all of the newbies!

@QuirkyJules My husband and I like to hike, and I do strength training to mix it up from running in order to stay strong.

I took a few days off in conjunction with the holiday to give myself some mental rest. Some people at work have been acting like infants lately, so I need a break from them! For July 1-2, I had a total of 4 miles, plus strength training and rowing at the gym yesterday. I am about to head out for 4-5 miles before a bbq later today.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    07/01 - 4.5 miles
    07/03 - 8.0 miles

July Total: 12.5/75 miles
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    07/03: 3.1

I was not able to run the last two days. Yesterday for some odd reason I had a knee pain. Today is gone, but still prevented me of running the last two days. My ideal goal is 60 miles, but realistically I may do just 40 miles. I'm setting my goal to 50 miles hoping that I can reach that goal. Good luck everyone and have a wonderful holiday weekend (if you are in the US)

exercise.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @QuirkyJules For me, cross-training is anything that doesn’t wear out the same parts of me that tend to get stress and repetitive motion injuries from running, so I can still do it on a day that is a rest day from running. Bonus if it strengthens me for running or hits a part of my body that running doesn’t benefit. So, for example, right now plyometrics are out because they make my knee injury worse, but stationary bike is in. Weight training is in. Pushups and other core work. Some kinds of dancing. Swimming is ideal but I don’t have access to a pool at the moment.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman Glad the back is doing better. I'd love to see that video. :lol:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7/1 – 0 rest days
    7/2 – 5
    7/3 - 8

13 of 110 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July
    ISS Virtual 5K in July
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – Sept
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach 65% there!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Five hot miles this morning! Also, I’m doing a plank challenge with my SRTT group, so I’m hoping to improve on that over the next month.

7/1: 2
    7/2: 2
    7/3: 5

9/100 miles
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    My literally broken leg.
    @Avidkeo it'll be a month before x-rays. This one includes bone cemet.
    y1mbgtiv153f.jpg
    Someone bring me asprin and an ice pack.

Ohhh ouch! Sorry late reply, been in the car all day.

Happy 4th July to the Americans!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Going for 30 miles again this month

04/07 2.30 miles

exercise.png