July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    @QuirkyJules Welcome and great question:

I am a weak runner ( hip stress fracture so I had to find another exercise) who was told no running for 12 weeks. I had just lost 20 lbs starting last fall and was was not going to not exercise. Got a Peloton since I was told I could ride low impact. My cardio output is much higher on the bike but I am now back to slow running and walking and love them both, great cross training each of them. And yoga/stretching and rolling. Now I just have to really focus on strength to improve my running and protect my bones.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited July 2020
    07/03: 3.1
    07/04: 2

I will start my 10K training tomorrow, so hopefully I will reach my 40 miles goal.

exercise.png
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    July Goal: 30 miles

7/2: 3.3 mile walk
    7/4: 4.7 mile walk

July Miles To Date: 8 miles

Did a 69 mile bike ride yesterday....not too hard just too long. That was a nice cross train B)

@mbaker566 That scavenger hunt looks like fun....any idea how long the runs are? Wonder if I could do it?

@rheddmobile Sorry about your knee - hope the exercises help. Love the cartoon!

@Tramboman If eating was cross-training, I am winning!!!!

@quilteryoyo great run.....hard on a treadmill but better than the heat of summer!

@Elise4270 Ouch....you need more than an aspirin....heal fast!

@katharmonic Beautiful hike....what elevation is that....looks really challenging!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    7/1 – 0 rest day
    7/2 – 5
    7/3 - 8
    7/4 - 6

19 of 110 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July
    ISS Virtual 5K in July
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – Sept
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach 65% there!
  • skippygirlsmom
    @elise4270 ouch!!
  • QuirkyJules
    QuirkyJules Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks all for the warm welcome and the responses about cross-training. It is really interesting to me to hear the different answers about what constitutes cross-training for different people....I do like the "anything active but not running" version myself as I think it helps me not take it all too seriously or overthink whether I’m doing the “right” exercise. I tend to be overly serious about enough things in life as it is!

Yesterday was cross-training for me - took my two dogs on a hilly 10 mile morning walk, then in the evening did another 4 miles of walking on my own. Sometimes I also bicycle for cross-training but longest rides so far are about 25 miles and I try to find the flattest courses I can because I'm terrified of losing speed uphill and falling over. I’m happy to hear there are some other folks on this thread who ride, too.

Today I was breaking in a new pair of shoes and also aiming to do a long-ish run. Ended up doing a 10k which is on the longer side for me at this point and I was happy with my new shoe springy step. Which brings me to another question actually - I’ve heard about rotating different shoes….do people have multiple pairs of the same model that they rotate, or is there a more deliberate strategy using different models? So far I only have worried about trail running shoes vs road shoes but I’m wondering if my near-retirement road shoes still have a purpose other than backups once the new kicks are fully broken in.

Last month I counted walking miles towards my distance goal at 75% - that percentage was based on a rough example of the relative effort/calorie burn for walking versus running and probably is way oversimplified - but this month I'd like to achieve the 100 mile goal only counting runs. Since I only really ran 62 miles last month (and walked 107 miles), 100 miles of running is a big step up for me.

7/1 2.2 mi
    7/2 7.5 mi
    7/3 0.0 mi - XT 14 mi walking
    7/4 6.2 mi
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    No run for me today. Saturday's are usually rest days and tomorrow will be my long run.

@QuirkyJules For cross training I do yoga. And I also walk my dogs.

@hamsterwheel6 Yes you and @rhedmobile and I are the same age. I think @katharmonic may be too.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »

@hamsterwheel6 Yes you and @rhedmobile and I are the same age. I think @katharmonic may be too.

Yes, I'm right there too. We've got a little club!

@Elise4270 so sorry about your knee. That looks painful.

@rheddmobile so glad you felt encouraged about your knee and good job getting the whole 4 miles in for the 4th.
    @bearly63 those peaks are at about 3900 and 4600 ft elevation. And your name reminds me that there is a lot of bear activity being reported in that area. One group we passed on the hike asked us if we were the "bear people" - I guess a group had been camping and the bear tried to raid their camp. We had bear spray at the ready but luckily did not see any. (It sounds like one particular bear has been getting very bold and a lot of sightings/encounters are being reported)

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/20 :::: 2.6 :::: 2.6
    07/02/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 7.6
    07/03/20 :::: 0.9 :::: 8.5
    07/04/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 10.3

I was certainly in no mood to go out and run today after yesterday's long hike. I slept in and lazed around all morning, feeling very content to move as little as possible. Finally mid-afternoon I realized I had better get out and run because I made plans for the evening and wouldn't want to run after that. So I went out 3:30 pm when it was 90 degrees out and suffered through a short run to get it done.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Did anyone look at the air quality this morning? I can only assume it’s fireworks related since it seems to cluster in major cities and be worst starting around midnight last night, clearing up as the day goes on which is the opposite of the way pollution usually works. Memphis was rated dark red, I thought all the stuff in the air this morning was fog but I guess it was particulates! Des Moines, Iowa was rated so unhealthy that I looked at the news to see if they had some sort of forest fire!
    ydesgintejis.png

Anyway it’s a lifting day for me so I am staying indoors. The last time I ran during an air quality alert it felt awful.
  • skippygirlsmom
    7/1 – 0 rest day
    7/2 – 5
    7/3 - 8
    7/4 - 6
    7/5 - 4

23 of 110 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer - done
    Big Foot Wild Thangs Trail Race 5K/10K – June 20 on the trails…all together like a real race - done
    Run 4 on the 4th – Virtual 4 miles on 4th of July
    ISS Virtual 5K in July
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June – Sept
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon – October – postponed from April
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach 65% there!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    5 miles today were supposed to be at a higher HR, but just couldn't keep at that intensity. :(

exercise.png