WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Suzi, I like the mask with window, I thought of that right away and heard early that they existed for hearing impaired (for lip-reading). We had a large meeting in July, in an amphitheater rather than in a room. One of the colleagues lowered his mask just an instant to show a smile (as we don't meet and haven't seen one another since at least March) and I did the same. It seemed very warm.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Sharon, oh wow for the key episode.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @AuntiBk I decided to work in the public sector rather than the private cause I had thought they were less money-grubbing. (Also, in France, state-financed schools tend to be the better more elitist schools, so: better students.) I'm not at all convinced I was right about that. (though I'm not sure it's better in the private sector). We could conceivably have a class action with hundreds of teachers, or more if we spread to different sectors.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Godmomkim I used to occasionally make zucchini crust pizza
    with old moosewood cookbook recipe. it was a success.

HOUSEWORK I have never been a clean freak but seemed to more or less keep up till about 50 or so. Now it's a struggle. I think it's partly much increased professional business (I've had to put much more into work these past years), and mental exhaustion in a way, coming - partly -from work stress issues.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    COUNTING NUMBERS OBSESSIVELY my dad was a statistician and was always counting. he would talk about how much things cost a lot which is not very much appreciated. Like when we'd eat out as a family at the end he's say who cost the most! And when he had a 2 year hiatus in early 60s between his long career and a very late last job in his mid sixties, we would go for longish walks sometimes and once he went on his own and he counted stuff: 4 hours, 37 telephone poles, and so on. I work in the arts and find numbers a sometimes comforting counterbalance to the unquantifiable aspects of the art world.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Heather I'm sorry you had to go through all that stress, and glad things are looking better.

DISHWASHERS I was fine without one but now I regret not having one. my kitchen is miniscule and it would be hard to find a place even for a mini-one.
  • bananasandoranges
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Machka, I am catching, up. I am sorry about your nose issues (and operation?). I hope this operation helps and you recover well and speedily.

BMI is now up to 25.1 today. :( I used to weigh daily but don't weight self much anymore. My underwear felt tight and so I weighed self. :/ My motivation on WL is so low. I go for walks but they are no longer brisk. I'm not binging (I used to at times from some time in teens to early 30s), but rather sedentary - much mores since COVID and our 2 month strict police-controlled confinement in France (we could only go out to get exercise 1h 1x per day, equipped with self-authorization form).

The weather has been mostly stunning for months.

I finished work for 1 major legal case and my lawyer did an awesome job.
    In addition to that I had to spend 2 days working on responding to a letter by a superior in one of my 3 schools.
    I consulted my file and saw she had put in a letter severely criticising me (like-pre-disciplinary), with many lies. I had much proof of the "inexactitude" of her letter, so had to dig up emails and documents and scan and number and explain them. For example, she said I didn't accept the days the school asked me to teach, but I totally did, and have proof in writing. The school gave the info orally or on a post-it but I always recapped it by a mail (thank goodness).
    I sent 78 page registered letter to the RH director, who's such a dishonest guy, with a soft, sweet voice acting buddy buddy with all the teachers.

Since I'm a leader in requesting our rights be respected AND we have a new director, they've clearly been out to get me. The middle people like my supervisor are presumably praised for making life difficult for me.

The highly dishonest RH director is supposed to be the reference for defending our rights if we have a problem. That is a big joke. I can contact an outside organisation, but it takes so much time too.

Supposed to be doing an online academic writing class. I forgot it yesterday so will aim to do it today. Zoom + private writing sessions with check ins with class leaders. I got yesterday's synopsis and it seems good.

I have to follow up on some rental apartment stuff too; little electrical thing to get fixed- I hope I can find someone to do it properly: oner burner in the built-in stove gets short circuits. I hope it's fixable without taking out the whole thing (major work). Otherwise I'll have to change it and have work done and that'll be a lot of follow up and at least a few weeks rent lost (to add to 4 months rent lost due to loss during covid crisis). And find a new renter, the lovely renter over the past year is leaving. it's a small pretty furnished studio so the average rental time is about a year or so (from 5 months to 2.5 years).
    Ah and there's a water damage issue that's not big but managing it is complex related to insurance. Long story.

My place is a mess. I don't know why I let it go. Cleaning for an hour makes me feel so much saner.

Today is a new day.
    1)going out for a slow walk (better than nothing) and maybe stop for coffee at a café (1h or so max)
    2) 5 min meditation (5 min)
    3) touching the earth (1 min)
    4) an hour housework (1h)
    5) follow up on insurance and electricity stuff for apartment, and put up an ad for the apartment (1-2h)
    6) work on application for continuing ed (1h at least)
    7) see if I can switch osteopath appointment (5 min)
    8) go to online writing class (6 hours max)
    9) pick up vegetables (bought neighbour's part in weekly organic veggie delivery, during her summer vacation)(30 min to walk there-5 min, find the place, chat, etc not be rushed)
    10) work on art work at least (30 min)
    yikes that's a lot ! Not a lot of hours: 10h11 minutes from 8 am to 8pm...leaving a couple of hours for rest, meals and unexpected, but I get off track sometimes. I think I'm less focused w age.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    h.gifa.gifp.gifp.gify.gifempty.gifb.gifi.gifr.gift.gifh.gifd.gifa.gify.gifempty.gifempty.gif
    e.gifv.gife.gifl.gify.gifn.gif

>>>
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Been MIA just skimming HEATHER so glad DH is ok worrying though. We both loved Three Billboards DH said he didn’t think he’d enjoy it but he did.
    Woody Harrelson seems to be popping up in loads of stuff lately Used to love him in Cheers years ago
    Think I’m in one of those lockdown lows😢

Stay safe

Kate UK ❤️
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Kate I have no idea why, but your post reminded me of @wildhorsewendy . She used to be on this thread, you may recall. When she got into a funk she fasted/nearly fasted for several days, immersed herself in projects, allowed herself to be introspective, and came out re-centered and energized on the other side of it. It was a personal retreat. I am not quite disciplined enough to pull it off, but it seemed so clean and life-affirming.

(((Hugs to you, Kate)))

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Evelyn - Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Evelyn - Have a fabulous birthday! :D<3:flowerforyou:

I'm dressed and primped and ready to set off for my lunch date. I did ALL my exercises, so, with the walking, I will have at least 900 exercise calories to spend on my pizza. :p
    DH is feeling quite a bit better. His neck is still sore and the bump he gave himself on the head has obviously dislodged some of those pesky crystals in the ear that give you vertigo. The last time he had it, very badly then, I performed the Epley Manoeuvre on him and it was solved in seconds. If it is still the same tomorrow I will do it again.
    I followed the video of the two doctors and went through the diagnostic test first. Right now it only happens when he turns his head quickly.
    He managed 300 calories on the recumbent bike this morning.

My friend is on the train. <3

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Evelyn - Happy birthday to you!
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Heather - Glad to hear DH made it home and is doing OK. I hope you're able to get that outside table, enjoy a wonderful pizza and time with your friend.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Evie - Happy Birthday!

Another scorching day ahead - small chance of rain, but only 25%. Supposed to rain tomorrow, and they won't try to set concrete in the rain, so I'm hoping they get it together and get my dang fence posts in this morning. I'm not holding out much hope. So far, fairly unimpressed.

Just a normal day ahead for me - write a little, work out, water the trees, garden and flowers, maybe do a little sanding on a wooden piece that Corey cut out for me over the weekend. Try to get everything done by noon so I can stay in the A/C during the worst of the afternoon. I've sloooowwwly inched the ambient temperature inside the house up to 79-80 degrees. Not too bad, as long as you don't do it abruptly. Should save a bit on the energy bills.

Later,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Viv Don't worry about keeping up. You know we love it whenever you drop in. Sorry about your sister-in-law and about Logan…. (((Hugs)))

Lisa Good for you edging that thermostat up! I am going to follow suit. How are you standing the humidity, though?

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Today, Kirby is off work. the guy is going to pick up the scooter and take it to California to my sister's business. today I am not going to take the train home, I'm going to ride back home. then Kirby is going to pack it up and put it in a box to FedEx it to my sisters business. he already packed 2 bikes. his e-bike won't fit in the box.