Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Wrong answers ONLY!

Options

Replies

• FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    That's what all of us old folks think! ๐Ÿคช
    ( I can say that because I'm older than most of you ๐Ÿ˜‰)
    Could it be that we try too hard and some of us just don't have and will NEVER have that naturally Adonis or Venus figure that some are so fortunate to be born with? Beyoches!!! ๐Ÿคฌ

So my years of dancing and beating up my body doing 27 years of renovations has finally
    Come back to haunt me.
    I had been having foot pain for about a year, so bad that I almost couldn't wear my Wedding shoes or dance for my Wedding/Vow Renewal in January. The Podiatrist told me that she had never seen such degeneration in someone so young (โ˜บ๏ธ). I have lost all cartilage tissue on my big toe and every step i take is literally bone on bone. Well today I got a taste of what's to come and was in horrible pain and couldn't walk without crying in pain. There are no real promising treatments other than steroid injections or surgery, which doesn't have high success rates and I'd most likely would have to have repeat surgeries once started. The fear of someday not being able to dance or even scarier...walk, has me panicked.
    What can I do for optimism and how much more research into surgical options shall I pursue?

Sorry on "meds" right now and a little too serious I guess because now I'm sitting here laughing at myself! ๐Ÿคฃ
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,829 Member
    Options
    *fist bump* Hugs from unknown internet guys would likely not be appreciated, will leave that to the unknown internet gals.
    What can I do for optimism and how much more research into surgical options shall I pursue?

Another term for optimism is being sunny. For that, you have two options: move to someplace super-sunny (like the Sahara desert), or binge watch "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." For researching surgical options, more information is (almost) always a good thing, but there are two warning signs you've overdone it: if your research into foot treatment somehow develops into nose jobs (WebMD is famous for leading amateur medical researchers down weird paths), or if you're using a laptop to continue searching options while on the hospital bed being wheeled down towards the operating room (OR). If you find yourself in one of these situations, stop, close your laptop, and hum the theme song from "Sunny" all the way to the OR.

Plans rarely equal results. You can plan a list of chores to accomplish on a day off, then spend the day binge watching TV. You can plan how to spend an upcoming bonus, all the bills you'll pay; then the check arrives, and it's spent, and you wonder where it disappeared. Why is it so hard to follow through on plans?
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Sorry on "meds" right now and a little too serious I guess because now I'm sitting here laughing at myself! ๐Ÿคฃ

Being a little too serious in my answer but would bone fusion work? I can't imagine what you're going through. ๐Ÿฅบ

nossmf wrote: ยป

Plans rarely equal results. You can plan a list of chores to accomplish on a day off, then spend the day binge watching TV. You can plan how to spend an upcoming bonus, all the bills you'll pay; then the check arrives, and it's spent, and you wonder where it disappeared. Why is it so hard to follow through on plans?

If it was meant to be it'd be, ya know. If God wanted me to get chores done I wouldn't have stumbled across the remote. Life's to short to live by plans and when I die no one is going to come to my funeral and give a speech about how my house was always cleaned and how I was good with money. Hopefully they'll be able to tell great stories of the mess I was. So maybe you should be asking yourself instead if you should start writing your next book as a self help to living your best life cause it seems like you have it mastered. ๐Ÿ˜‚

How is it when I was younger I could drink all night and bounce back the next day but now I have a glass (or 2) of wine and I've got a hangover before I even get to bed that same night. After all this time, and practice, shouldn't I be able to handle more not less?
  • nossmf
    Options
    Have you ever heard the term "aging like fine wine?" Did you realize alcohol becomes more potent over time? This is the source of your problems. You think because you have only 1-2 glasses you are drinking less, when in fact the alcohol you are drinking is far more potent now than when you were younger, so effectively you are actually drinking MORE now in those 1-2 glasses than you used to do consume in dozens of glasses. The greatest alcoholic from a thousand years ago would be reeling from even sniffing today's drinks, where you would be completely unable to become drunk using the weak swill they drank back then.

Some foods I hated as a child are now among my favorites; some foods I loved as a kid, I now despise. I'm still me...why the change in food preferences?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Options
    When we are children it's only natural and expected that we refuse to eat something whether or not it actually tastes good why else would we sit at the dinner table for hours refusing to clean our plate of vegetables? As we become older and more wise and actually understand what we're putting in our bodies we tend to eat better however most of us rebel and our adult voice tells us screw it...You only live once!! And then we eat those things we loved as a child then pay for it later whether in the bathroom or on the scale. I say "heck with it all ... I want cookies!"

Is it just me or do we all seem to lose our sweet tooth as we get older? I can't handle many sweets like i used to, just gross to me! This actually makes no sense because I know for a fact that my Mama lives on sweets and in her home you will always find cookies, candy on display and easily accessible. This lady has never had high blood sugar and literally weighs 115 lbs.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Have you ever played Dungeons & Dragons? It's a fantasy game, where each player generates a fictional character which they role-play through adventures set forth by a single Dungeon Master. Each character is given random levels of each stat (strength, health, intelligence, etc) by the roll of dice.

How is this relevant to your question? At birth, when the doctor takes the child aside from the mother to the corner of the room, we all think it's just to weigh, measure and clean the child. In reality, the doctor is rolling dice to determine the baby's stats before returning the child to the mother to raise. Some people are lucky to get high rolls at birth, which carry with them throughout their life...your mother's resistance to absorbing calories is one of these.

So why are some of us able to change over a lifetime, while others remain the same? At certain significant milestones in life, we level up from putting forth effort to gain experience. The nearest medical facility is notified to secretly re-roll one or more of our stats. Sometimes this improves us to become stronger, fitter, smarter; sometimes it worsens us to lose resistance to calories, or require more sleep. But don't fear: keep moving towards the next life checkpoint, and you can reroll once more (such as becoming a grandmother may reawaken love of chocolate for example).

Last night my house lost power for 2 hours following dinner. By candlelight we passed the time playing a board game as a family. If you lose electricity for hours at a time, what is your preferred way to pass the time?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Options
    Exactly that! ๐Ÿ˜
    However that isn't the name of the game... So my favorite thing to do during a blackout is to put on a scary mask ... like Our Ex President for example, and peep into my neighbor's window and get ideas from them on how to pass the time. All I've really learned from this however, is how to scream bloody murder, Run and hide, dial 911 and cauk (MFP won't allow correct spelling) ๐Ÿ™„ a gun! ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I guess my most valuable idea/ lesson and answer to you would be to pass the time by running like a banchee to avoid getting shot at! ๐Ÿ˜ฐ

I noticed that more and more people are wearing their side arm in a holster these days, kinda like the Old West. This makes me quite uncomfortable as I was a victim of an abduction and shooting some years ago my mind plays tricks on me and I'm always expecting someone to pull out their gun and start shooting. How can I avoid these negative thoughts and learn to be calm and stay positive? Also, I had been cleared for my Conceal/Carry after extensive training with firearms, however have avoided applying as I still have a very hard time around guns, even after placing third out of 87 on all my shooting (from a 22 all the way up to a machine gun! My instructor says I'm a Natural with a 44-cal. Magnum revolver ๐Ÿ˜Ž). Should I pursue this or just join the folks from the Old West and wear my gun in plain sight? Maybe a thigh holster๐Ÿค”
    I'd have to wear a really short skirt or one with a slit up the side no? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,562 Member
    Options
    I think the only way to stay calm and positive is to move somewhere where there is fewer guns. Say Canada, for example. ๐Ÿ˜˜ Then on power outage nights youโ€™d also get to see families playing board games, couples dancing by candlelight, and neighbours drinking together around an outdoor fire when you peeked in on them. Youโ€™d probably get invitations to participate too!

But if you do so, youโ€™ll have to forgo your dreams of thigh holsters with miniskirts unless you want to store a nerf or a water gun in it.

Gas prices are out of control here and are expected to rise again. How can I make extra money to pay for it? I tried giving them my first born child but they didnโ€™t want him because he eats too much.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I'm afraid in the current economy, earning extra money is a losing proposition, between inflation plus taxes. You're far better off, instead of earning more, is to learn to spend less. Find out which of your bills is your largest expense, and then cut it out. For most of us, that's our mortgage/rent. (Unless you're like my family with four teens/young adults, in which case food is the highest.) By saving all that mortgage/rent money, you can afford to pay for gas, which is a good thing now, as you'll be living in your car and driving from one temporary shelter bridge/park to another each night. (By not buying any more food, my family still lives in our house and can afford to drive to the other side of town, looking for grocery store chains we can wear our ex-President masks to avoid recognition while we procure our necessary groceries.)

Two days ago it was 90 degrees (32C), and my wife/daughter complained of being too hot. Last night we got 6" (15 cm) of snow, and now my wife/daughter are complaining about being too cold. How can I help them to stop the complaining about the temperature?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Options
    Move to LA where it's 78* nearly everyday. ( Was when I lived there anyway). I'd definitely check out Skid Row which is a great place to raise a family and a great neighborhood and the great thing about it is that with the great steady temps, you can pick a nice alley or doorway and camp out whenever it suits your fancy. In the case of Global warming at an extreme... Try convincing your Wife to move to Equador where it's stays in the 70s year round. If any of you are vegetarian, I'd suggest you keep a good supply of Vinegar to soak your fruits and vegetables, if not... Plan on keeping a lot of Pazidol handy. ๐Ÿชฑ๐Ÿ˜ฌ Or not... Maybe you can turn a parasite or two into family pets! I hear they become very attached and you'll have a friend for life.

I have been noticing a lot of Moths lately and they discust me! I do everything possible to keep the place closed up and airtight yet I will kill a minimum of 10 Moths every night as they for some reason like to land on me while I'm sleeping. This is the grossest thing to me and it drives me nuts!๐Ÿฅด How do they get in and how can I get rid of them once and for all?
    Side note:. My Husband calls me a hardened Moth Assassin ๐Ÿคฃ
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of moths is easy. Havenโ€™t you heard the old saying, โ€œdrawn to something like moths to a flameโ€?
    Just wait until your neighbors go to sleep. Set their house on fire, and all the moths will go over there. Put your ear plugs in (why must fire sirens be so loud) and prepare for a good nights sleep. Most people will want to alternate neighbors. I myself always prefer the idiot neighbors next doorโ€”the one who watered his lawn today, even though itโ€™s been rainy and wet all month so far and we have a 40% chance of rain tonight and a 90% chance of rain tomorrow.

Iโ€™ve been trying to double my calories while I recover from surgery. Itโ€™s been so hard to do without just adding a big piece of cake with ice cream. How do you raise your calories in a reasonably healthy way?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Options
    Raise my calories? ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    Healthy way???
    Well, let's see ๐Ÿค”
    How about we start with the food pyramid that we were always told was healthy ...
    Bottom of the pyramid is grains ๐ŸŒพ so I would probably have some Pasta and Bread ๐Ÿ,๐Ÿœ๐Ÿฅ–๐Ÿž๐Ÿฅ cake and cookies ๐ŸŽ‚ ๐Ÿช ๐Ÿช and pancakes๐Ÿฅž
    Next row would be vegetables,
    Corn ๐ŸŒฝ is a vegetable and so are potatoes ๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿฅ”๐Ÿ 
    Next to Vegetables is Fruit,
    Any fruit pie ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ‘will suffice or fruit on cheesecake even better!! ๐Ÿฐ
    Next row Dairy,
    I'd drink lots of whole milk ๐Ÿฅ› eat ice cream ๐Ÿจ๐Ÿง๐Ÿฆ and what is a great meal if not covered in melted cheese? ๐Ÿง€
    The other side is Meat & Poultry,
    Lots of burgers ๐Ÿ”, hot dogs ๐ŸŒญ fried chicken ๐Ÿ— bacon ๐Ÿฅ“and Mmmmm...yummy steak ๐Ÿฅฉ
    Or better yet... I can combine all categories on the food pyramid and just eat pizza ๐Ÿ• and dessert pizza ๐Ÿ˜‹
    Hmmmm... Now I'm feeling a bit famished. Time to add some healthy calories ๐Ÿคค

With life so busy and so many road blocks and set backs I've lately been neglecting my health and forgetting to eat or making bad choices when I want to grab something easy and inexpensive. We are living in an RV temporarily as we renovate with no space for real food prep or cooking and I tend to get lazy when working and find myself going backwards to the days when I'd starve myself fat! How can I get out of this funk I'm in and treat my body better when it comes to nutrition and exercise when I have no time during the day?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    No time during the day?
    Well, use the time during the night!

Exercise can take place any time - you have heard of the saying Burn the midnight oil ๐Ÿ›ข - well, adapt it and burn the midnight calories!
    And after running ๐Ÿƒโ€โ™‚๏ธ a few miles and doing 100 push ups, ๐Ÿ’ช, you can spend rest of night batching up meals.

Sleep ๐Ÿ˜ด is so over rated.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    According to some people pillows should be replaced every 12 months. What nonsense!
    They can last a lifetime if you take care of them.

What are some tips to care for them over a human life span?
  • nossmf
    Options
    Making anything last longer is less about the care you give once it's yours, but more about the quality of construction before it ever becomes yours. Haven't you ever heard the term, "they don't make this like they used to?" It's because the old versions invariably last longer. (My first cell phone lasted 15 years; my current one needs replacing after less than a year. True story.) So, if you want your pillow to last a lifetime, stay away from the ones being peddled in stores today which have been poorly constructed and are doomed to die within 12 months. Instead, use the pillow our ancient ancestors used: a rock. Now, we aren't barbarians who just grab any old rock; we are sophisticated people, who can be choosy which rock to use. I suggest basalt, treated with a grinder to smooth out the edges where your head will lie. If you travel a lot and need a durable, light-weight version, then it's hard to beat the strength-to-weight ratio of volcanic rock, with all the built-in gas bubbles. It is a little more on the expensive side, however, so there is that.

My workplace is grilling hamburgers in the parking lot today. Why do hamburgers grilled by amateurs always taste better than hamburgers produced by restaurants?
  • Cat0703a
    Cat0703a Posts: 17,562 Member
    Options
    Itโ€™s a combination of low expectations and the โ€œbest things in life are freeโ€. Your expectations are high at a restaurant where you pay an arm and a leg and sometimes your first born. However, your expectations of your colleagues, who Iโ€™m going to assume are the amateurs doing the grilling, are quite low. Therefore tasty burgers! I hope you had two!

After giggling again at the bonnet tale in another post it made me think of having to dress up for Easter with my sister, pastel dresses with little white straw hats and aprons. What fashion trend did you participate in (or were forced to participate in) that you regret or look back at with โ€œwhat the heck was I thinkingโ€?
  • nossmf
    Options
    (Yes, I did have two burgers. Greasy, diet-busting, and totally worth it!)

As a teen growing up, my family was a fan of the Star Trek: Next Generation series. In one infamous episode, the mother of one of the main characters is slated to get married on-ship. Per her planet's custom, all attendees, including groom and bride, are supposed to be naked, to show that they are entering the marriage with nothing to hide, love me for who I am. Fast forward to the day I got married, and this episode flashed through my mind as I took the time to meticulously prepare my military uniform, with all the shiny pins and ribbons, shining my shoes, pressing my pants. All that effort could have been avoided if I'd simply insisted we follow that Star Trek wedding custom. Missed opportunity.

Everything I need to know about how to be a decent member of society, I learned from watching Star Trek. What show/movie has given you the most lessons about how you want to be?
  • Generic_Excuse
    Generic_Excuse Posts: 607 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    As a comedy lover I'm not sure I've taken away too many life lessons from shows or movies unless it was not to take things so seriously. And if I subconsciously did I'm sure they aren't the best. The only thing I'd say that I maybe took lessons away from as a kid was maybe after school specials like Full House but as an adult its very over dramatic and cringe worthy. But suppose I function decent enough as member or society so... ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

I don't enjoy chocolate or ice-cream. I've never had much of a sweet tooth and find most chocolates to taste pretty.. fake (idk how to explain that better) and ice-cream is too cold and too sweet for me. So then WHY do I have cravings for these too foods every once in a blue moon? It's easily ignored because they're not items readily available in my house but I don't even like them so why is my brain like "ya know what would be great right now" for food I don't enjoy eating?
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    Options
    My body tells me the same thing sometimes ...could it be the hypoglycemia? Or Maybe we're just not sweet enough and our bodies are telling us to sweeten the pot for our prospective suitors. ๐Ÿ˜‹

I have no will-power so tend to never have sweets or "bad for me" snacks readily available at home, so I can avoid my weaknesses. It would be nice to every once in awhile have goodies available for guests, how can I achieve this with my lack of restraint and the fact that I cave to my cravings? ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Get your dog to lick them all.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to eat them after that - but what your guests don't know won't hurt them. ;)

I just have one little dog. But I know people with 2 or 3 dogs.

How does one decide how many dogs to have?