August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 It's genetic. There's a gene for it. Not everyone that has the gene gets celiac disease though. A lot of nordic, Italian and Irish people have it. They have theories about what triggers the gene but nothing for sure. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 It's genetic. There's a gene for it. Not everyone that has the gene gets celiac disease though. A lot of nordic, Italian and Irish people have it. They have theories about what triggers the gene but nothing for sure. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Heh, that's interesting! We are portuguese and native american. The remainder is a mix. I just try to stay away from the doctor, so when I know something ails the women in my family and I start showing symptoms of the same, I do what they do until that stops working (and I need surgery), etc.

So far now troubles at work today. Here's to hoping this trend continues.

Really looking forward to tomorrow's run in the new shoes, but I'm sure when I wake up I'll feel much like you did this morning, @RunsOnEspresso

@katharmonic August is starting out low and slow for me too - I think that will change after the Vertigo challenge next week - I'll be exhausted and recovering again soon, convincing myself that I'm never running again :)

Good job, @deraffemikey06 ! You're killing it!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Heh, that's interesting! We are portuguese and native american. The remainder is a mix. I just try to stay away from the doctor, so when I know something ails the women in my family and I start showing symptoms of the same, I do what they do until that stops working (and I need surgery), etc.

Really looking forward to tomorrow's run in the new shoes, but I'm sure when I wake up I'll feel much like you did this morning, @RunsOnEspresso

@katharmonic August is starting out low and slow for me too - I think that will change after the Vertigo challenge next week - I'll be exhausted and recovering again soon, convincing myself that I'm never running again :)

Looking forward to your shoe review, they are a really good-looking shoe but several reviewers have said the narrow heel feels unstable. Which seems odd to me since when I am trail running on uneven ground I spend most of my time on my toes, the heels don’t really figure into stability for me I don’t think.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I have never seen a cicada emerge from his shell. I actually saw a dead cicada yesterday on the sidewalk during my run and was thinking about how often we used to find the empty shells when I was a kid and how even though I still see the occasional cicada (and hear them a lot) I can't remember the last time I saw an empty shell.

@AlphaHowls So sorry about the poison ivy. That does not sound fun. Hope it clears up soon.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I was thinking that too! One the phrases I post all the time in my instagram stories is "Running is dancing is running is dancing is running..." Especially on trails. That's part of why I love them. Just bouncing around from incline to descent to tree root to big rock to little rock to "Ohhh better not fall that way...." I've never really considered my heels... I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

@AlphaHowls I am so sorry! I have doctored both my kids through awful poison ivy! I've never gotten it. I'm convinced that I am immune. I've been right in it and never had it. But I'm sorry you are experiencing it! One thing I do for my kids - and you probably already know about these things - is basically give them a bath in food. Whole milk, oatmeal, baking soda, and honey. It seems to really help.

@rheddmobile that is awesome about the cicada!
  • deraffemikey06
    deraffemikey06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    8/1 17.17 miles (was that poison ivy?)
    8/2 26.29 miles, 825 Days on the run (looks like poison ivy)
    8/3 17.01 miles (wow! It was poison ivy!)
    8/4 15.22 miles (God Help Me! It is poison ivy!)
    8/5 13.37 miles (Poison ivy is trying to kill me)
    8/6 13.49 miles (Poison ivy really itches and is painful!)
    8/7 18.14 miles, 830 Days on the run (In case you did not notice, I came in contact with poison ivy, both legs, both arms, and my stomach)

Doing my best not to have a mental and emotional meltdown...

@AlphaHowls Hopefully the poison ivy goes away quickly.

Great runs so far this month. Crazy to think you could run so many miles already this month. Great job!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Well I did it....bought a used Nordictrack treadmill from a guy off Facebook. It was in very good condition, and was a very good price, so I loaded it in my truck and now we'll see how much it gets used. With this August heat, I'm thinking quite a bit B);)

I understand they make a great place to hang laundry from. ;)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls So sorry about the poison ivy. That does not sound fun. Hope it clears up soon.

Way yuck. I spent an entire summer once covered in the stuff as I was battling to remove it from my backyard. Not pleasant!

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    I am behind, as usual and will come back to catch up but saw this article and thought of @katharmonic and nose breathing/running with a mouthful of water.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Run felt good until nearing the end. Florida summer heat is no bueno when you're heat/sun sensitive.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Good article @shanaber. I might have to try to nose breath to find my easy pace. I have never been able to figure that out 😃
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls Hope you make a speedy recovery.