August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @quilteryoyo - stay awesome!!
  • deraffemikey06
    deraffemikey06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Date Miles Cum mi
    8/1 8.59 8.59
    8/2 17.2 25.79
    8/3 8.66 34.45
    8/4 8.63 43.08
    8/5 8.57 51.65
    wuapetbgisah.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Anyone ever done a duathalon? I got a race company email today and they are doing their triathlon and duathalon virtually this year.

It sounds fun and I checked and can use my indoor bike. I figured it would probably take me 2 hours to complete.

It's a:
    1 mile run
    12 mile bike
    5k run

I did one a few years back (July 22, 2018). It was 3K, 22K, 3K. Total time 1:40:12. It was 6 months after IT band/bursitis surgery and I wasn't 100%. Times were 19:21, 56:21, 21:55 respectively. Being my first, I was not efficient in the transition and didn't really worry about it. I did train, alternating runs and cycling and did 2 mock trials. I'd do it again.

ETA subtracted 12 minutes I forgot to stop my watch. And here's the actual recap.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Teresa502 race recap of my first Duathlon

The drive up
    I was forced into listening to the end of an audio book on the 1.5 hour drive to OKC by Carl G. Jung. As if I'm not neurotic enough, and i already understand human behaviour, and need not further complex insight on the shortcomings of the human psyche. But I was slightly entertained when I shared some of these shortcomings and behaviours, enough to chuckle.
    I only wish it had been in German. Hahaha! (Because I know about a 100 words in German, and the time could have been better spent training my ear.)

Packet pick up
    Walk in bicycle shoppe and ask Eric (dh, oh he gets an upgrade from nameless dh here), "did you get your helmet?" See, I had just turned the water off in a shower when he said "I'm ready, I'll be in the truck". I literally was standing soaking wet, naked, in the shower. With this, i didn't have the thought to go through the "did dh remember " list. His answer, "oh *kitten*. i forgot my helmet". Bike store has helmets. These, unfortunately were for the wealthy elite cyclist at 289 USD. BikeOne (shameless plug. Love these guys) in OKC had them a bit less. And Eric claimed he didn't really like the helmet he owns. So yes definitely pick something you like. Bontager 120USD.

Checked into hotel. Eric's bank card had had been compromised the week before. So its had been canceled. It was also the one he use to book the room. Wish I had gone into check in with him. Apparently the employee at the front desk had to call to have it verified that payment was made and got into an argument with the lady on the other end who hung up on him. And i thought i was the only one with workplace drama.

Lunch-uneventful at panera bread. Drove the race course. Went to mass. I do have a blasphemous complaint about mass. Their jesus looked like a desperate house wife.

Met @seanevan10 and the family for Mexican food. We owe them dinner now. (We owe everyone dinner).

race morning
    Up in plenty of time to make setting up the transition, and absent pre race meeting. Park away from the crowd for easy exit and I ask Eric "did you get your shoes?" The reply? Well it's all a string of kittens here. Back to the hotel.

The actual race.
    Run 3k

Out and back nice long hills and the return is more down than up. Nice. i can do down. Average pace 10:22 correction 10:03. I had started my watch too early.

Bike 22.5k
    I think it took me 2-3 minutes in transition. The first 3-4 miles I was rather aggressive. It was also the hilly part of the course. Figured each hill was probably the last... by miles 5-6 I caught a second wind and the course flattened out, i was able to rid a faster. Miles 8,9,10 I second guessed my existence and questioned the ability of my genetic make up to complete, participate, or survive such events without injury. Miles 11-14. I don't know. My *kitten* hurt, my knee hurt, my hip hurts. My brain had checked out over the stupidity it sensed in an unnecessary physical demand as this. Average speed 14.8mph, 4.07min/mile

Run 3k again.
    The race was winning. I was beat. Ran walked the first bit let my legs uncramp and figure out how to walk once again. There was no pain. Bike muscles were spent, not running muscles. Average pace 11:22

I placed 2nd in my AG, have not checked to see if there were only 2 or 3 of us..yet. I think I'm sunburned. Ate panera again. They messed up my order. Instead of 1 steak arugula sandwich, I had 2. I did happily eat both of them. I had a nap an am hungry again. I think this was more effort than a half.

I had fun and had a cool number written on my arm and my calf. It was almost as cool as a tattoo.

ETA tldr- bold text silly. (And correct my malfunctioning fingers)

2nd in AG because everyone else in my AG was sleeping in on this fine Sunday morning. :wink:

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 From what I quickly read through earlier we dont enter time for transition. I need to go back and read now that I have time
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    August Goal: 55 miles

8/1 3.00
    8/2 off
    8/3 4.00
    8/4 off
    8/5 3.00

Total 10.00

@elise4270 I heard this Moth Radio story about a year after Steve's death. I posted about it on FB, and to my surprise got a "Sad" reaction from.....Steve. (His widow also kept and occasionally used his phone, and had mistakenly used it to respond to my post....). You have to listen to the story to know how profound a thing that was... but it strangely brought me comfort at a bad time.
    https://themoth.org/stories/carry-him-shoulder-high.
    @quilteryoyo Happy Birthday, youngster!

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,968 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I agree. BBQ was the right choice. :smile:

@marisap2010 Hugs to you. I hope you stay safe and well. Sounds like you are making good choices given the situation.
  • deraffemikey06
    deraffemikey06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever done a duathalon? I got a race company email today and they are doing their triathlon and duathalon virtually this year.

It sounds fun and I checked and can use my indoor bike. I figured it would probably take me 2 hours to complete.

It's a:
    1 mile run
    12 mile bike
    5k run

@RunsOnEspresso I've never done one before but it sounds like fun. I'd say go for it! :)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 rest
    8-2 7k easy
    8-3 rest
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 7k moderate
    8-6 7k easy

August Total: 28k
    August Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k

2020 Total through July: 1236k / 176.5k per month

Mostly cloudy and upper 50s F today. Was content to start out slow, as legs were a little tight. But as they loosened up, began picking up the pace to finish at an overall easy.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    got a new running plan. it doesn't use intervals too much and focus on hills and time on the feet. the end goal is to be able to do a 50k. there are a few still on the calendar about the time i'll be done with the plan. we'll see how it goes. starts monday
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    got a new running plan. it doesn't use intervals too much and focus on hills and time on the feet. the end goal is to be able to do a 50k. there are a few still on the calendar about the time i'll be done with the plan. we'll see how it goes. starts monday

I was going to attempt a 50k in January. I ended up removing myself from the list because I'm not confident covid will be controlled by then. I've got a plan that I might start still.

Or theres a 52k in March. A much harder course though.

Good luck with your new plan! Which one is it? Link?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

I was going to attempt a 50k in January. I ended up removing myself from the list because I'm not confident covid will be controlled by then. I've got a plan that I might start still.

i just stumbled across it when i was reading an article and noticed they had training plans
    linky link
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So far have gotten 5k every other day, knee slowly improving. Almost back to a normal pace. I have really lost a lot of fitness the past month though.

Re: horses in the drive through - during the 70s, Germantown TN prided itself on having more horses per capita than any other similarly-sized town in America. There were even horse speed limit signs! A couple of years ago they put the horse signs back up for the anniversary of Germantown’s founding, but most of the stables have moved further out now.

It also probably didn’t hurt that this was back when all teenagers had jobs, and everyone working at McD’s was only a couple of years older than we were.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

i just stumbled across it when i was reading an article and noticed they had training plans
    linky link

Nice. I may look at that one a little closer. I thought it was the same one I had at first.
    I tore mine out of Women's Running but it's 16 weeks to first 50k.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I am so glad to hear you had a good day! Birthday calories don't count - correct! That's what you all told me on my birthday!

Yesterday, I got new trail shoes and my water bottle with a filter finally came (after a mixup with amazon misdelivering it and then replacing it - i love their customer service, but I don't love the founder/ owner) and the scrunchies that my ex husband's neice makes came! They're great! My hair never listens and I hate when I can feel it falling out of it's bun when I run but these seem to hold it in place. And they're not expensive. And they are handmade and by buying them I know where my money is going - so that's nice.

After work, we went to the park /trail. It was a good day.

I've added fish and eggs back into my diet for the health benefits - neither seem to be causing me issues. Okay, let's be honest - I never stopped eating eggs since going vegan. So I was never technically vegan. I don't know what I am now - only vegetables, fish, eggs. Rarely fish. Very rarely. Rarely eggs, but often enough that I need to buy them each week. This is probably not important.....

I'm very excited about the new shoes - I sized up so I can avoid more black toenails. I thought I had already sized up enough but apparently not. The fit is great - they feel snug and secure but with plenty of space. Here's an interesting thing - I think the drop must be very close to zero because when I put them on I felt like I was going to fall over. They are so different from my road runners! I hope they work well - I am SO excited to take them out on a test drive this weekend!

2tjwaevv8gu5.jpg
    4b5m73cg85t2.jpg
    6unld1x3jq92.jpg
    bh9abez4ldtb.jpg