August 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic You should try the pack with Stella. Tippy seems to enjoy it. I put bottled water in it, so she carried our water. Glad you had a nice relaxing day and found the falls.

@Faebert Thank you and good for you getting in a long run in the heat.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options

@teresa502 good job also. What is the release and recover? I need to do more rolling.

It’s a virtual class through my workplace fitness center. The lady who teaches it is a runner and it’s designed to do after a run to release those knots and tight areas. She covered rolling a tennis ball under the foot, used the foam roller on the legs and some other general stretching. I’m really bad about stretching properly after a run. It’s easier if someone tells me what to do!

BTW I loved your hiking pictures from earlier in the week. I haven’t had time to comment on everyone’s posts but I’ve been hitting the like and inspiring buttons a lot in this group!
  • Teresa502
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary -yes you are getting “the” look! Lol. Good job!

@quilteryoyo - love the fur babies!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Hahaha @ContraryMaryMary . He was not pleased, was he? Great job in overcoming him at the end.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Here's a photo from the finish of the Xterra yesterday. You can see the guy I passed in the last 200m is not best pleased. We chatted after - I thanked him for giving me something to chase in the final couple of kilometres and apologised for pipping him at the end. He was most complimentary and said I was "very strong" but I can see now he wasn't that happy.
    2oo4dvtbr7ze.jpeg

That's one of the benefits of racing, right?
    I always used runners finishing ahead of me as motivation to train better.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo AAAAWWWWWW CUTE PUPPY!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Here's a photo from the finish of the Xterra yesterday. You can see the guy I passed in the last 200m is not best pleased. We chatted after - I thanked him for giving me something to chase in the final couple of kilometres and apologised for pipping him at the end. He was most complimentary and said I was "very strong" but I can see now he wasn't that happy.
    2oo4dvtbr7ze.jpeg

Yeah, it can be disappointing to get passed in the last 200m. But if he is smart it will motivate him to train harder. :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - adorable puppies. I too would not have a Husky for various reasons not least of which is that they wouldn't do well in our heat here. You really should consider a Vizsla! They are one of the fastest dogs and can run for miles and miles (Greyhounds are faster but don't have the endurance). They are also easy to train because they are very smart but you definitely have to keep them busy/tired!
    @ContraryMaryMary - fantastic race and yep that guy was not happy with you!
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    08/01 - 2.55 miles
    08/02 - Rest Day
    08/03 - 2.44 miles
    08/04 - 0 miles
    08/05 - 0 miles
    08/06 - 0 miles
    08/07 - 0 miles
    08/08 - 5.73 miles (run/walk)
    08/09 - 3.42 miles

Thought I was going to have to abort the 3 miler today due to the foot hurting. Once I started running, it felt much better. Took it at an easy pace. Foot is better much still hurts.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August Goal: 55 miles

8/1 3.00
    8/2 off
    8/3 4.00
    8/4 off
    8/5 3.00
    8/6 off
    8/7 4.00
    8/8 off
    8/9 2.50

Total 16.50

Re: dreams....I have too many recurring dreams to mention, but I did have a dream 3 days ago where I was asking if anyone here (and specifically @skippygirlsmom ) had heard from @Stoshew71 , then suddenly a new challenge appeared that he started.

exercise.png

Upcoming and current races:

D-Backs Virtual Run Against Cancer on 10/17 (which would have been my son's 43rd birthday....)
    https://raceroster.com/events/2020/27903/2020-d-backs-virtual-race-against-cancer

Big Island Challenge (virtually run 110 miles from Hilo to Kona by 9/27)

uxSIKHu.jpguxSIm10.png
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I often have dreams about school, not doing my homework, not ready for a test, not being in class for a long time, etc.
    Got my 5 mile run in today.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Tippy is a good looking dog, and that puppy is ADORABLE!!

@ContraryMaryMary great pic, and that guy learned his lesson I think.

@PastorVincent glad you got your plumbing fixed. Plumbing is one of the hardest household maintenance jobs there is! Great job finishing 14 miles!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Great race!!!

@quilteryoyo What a cute puppy!

I was supposed to run 8 yesterday. It hasn’t really gotten below about 72 here any recent evenings, so it was about that temp and 94% humidity when I got out to run yesterday morning. I ran 6 but was then so drained from the increasing temps, so I ended up walking the last 2 miles.

Also, gotta NSV: I’ve slowly been losing the extra weight I’ve been carrying, and I had to buy some new clothes this weekend because some of my others are now too big! Just don’t tell my husband that I snuck some running clothes into that as well...😉
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @Contrary_MaryM I think it means that one day you will be rich, but decide you do not want the money and give it all to me.

@marisap2010 what is NSV? Congrats on the need for clothes! :)
  • Teresa502
    Options
    I got out at day break this morning and ran 4 miles. It was 64F with 94% humidity but it was beautiful seeing the moon and watching the sun come up.

@PastorVincent - NSV= non-scale victory (smaller clothing sizes, lower blood pressure, etc.)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo such a cute puppy. i fostered a couch potato husky. i enjoy them but like malamutes-little more chill...but only a little
    @Contrary_MaryM lol. totally getting a look. i usually pass people at the end. seeing the finish line helps me find that little bit that i didn't think i had.
    @PastorVincent i felt like he was still dreaming.
    @AlphaHowls i hope you feel better soon.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    08/01/20 :::: 1.3 :::: 1.3
    08/02/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 2.9
    08/03/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 6.0
    08/04/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 11.0
    08/05/20 :::: 4.1 :::: 15.1
    08/06/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 18.3
    08/07/20 :::: 2.5 :::: 20.8
    08/08/20 :::: 6.8 :::: 27.6
    08/09/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 30.7
    08/10/20 :::: 3.7 :::: 34.3

Good morning and happy new week. It's a hot one again. We're headed to 90 degrees today and for the next couple of days, which calls for early morning running. Well, my early being 7 am which is not that early I realize. This is really my last week of summer break so after this week I will probably have to move that earlier. I met a friend at the lake - she is someone I work out with but don't often run with other than speedwork, and she was telling me about a foot injury last night so I expected a shorter, slower run. Turns out she is one of those people who is all business and just kind of runs full out all the time, so the pace was more aggressive to start than I normally would do on a daily run. I did my best to keep up and then she was fading a bit in the second half. By then I was warmed up and thinking if we're running this fast I'm going to just finish it out at the same pace. So my usual two lake loop was faster than normal (Strava tells me it was PR but I don't think that's accurate). I think this week's speedwork is a tempo run so I may just call that done.

I had seen a few of my regular running buddies out there so after we finished and my friend left to get to work, I circled back and finished up with them at our usual more leisurely chatty pace. It made me think about whether I should be trying to push my pace up a little on my daily runs. My coach is definitely of the philosophy that you don't worry about pace except during speedwork, and even then it's not the numbers but the effort, so I try not t o get too hung up. But I think I've been drifting to a slower and slower average pace.