WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a dryer for years. I hang my washing up in the utility room on a wooden airer on a pulley. I finish it off by laying it over the chairs in the dining room to air. Not elegant, but cheap! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather - how long does it take towels and bedspreads/quilts to dry?

Lanette B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Are you planning to grow some Aronia berry plants in your garden? If you try it, I'll certainly be interested in your results & opinions. Learning about something new is exciting even though I don't have land space available to try growing them. I'm happy enough with my three blueberry bushes. This year they've been producing a lot of berries and keeping me busy picking them. :star:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lanette: Are you planning to grow some Aronia berry plants in your garden? If you try it, I'll certainly be interested in your results & opinions. Learning about something new is exciting even though I don't have land space available to try growing them. I'm happy enough with my three blueberry bushes. This year they've been producing a lot of berries and keeping me busy picking them. :star:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Katla, - we are just going to stick with the volunteer bush we have. I've been picking and putting them in the freezer and have well over half a pound already, still plenty on the bush which should ripen quickly with our hot coming days.

I hope to end up with a pound of them. They are quite small, and I've read just 25 per day gives a great boost of antioxidants, so I should have enough to last for a long time.

I'm afraid my gardening helper can't do much anymore like dig holes to plant bushes. I'm lucky in that I have a friend who brought me a giant pail of blueberries from her garden and I'll reciprocate with tomatoes and apples in a few weeks.

Glad your blueberry bushes are doing well!! Nothing like them <3

Lanette B)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lanette: You made me curious. What are Aronia berries? I haven’t heard of them before. Enquiring minds—(mine for sure) are curious. :huh:

Heather: What an amazing piece of clothes washing equipment. It looks functional. I am curious about the mangle. I don’t think I’ve seen one. Is it like a big wringer, but with heat? :star:

Debbie in Napa Valley: I’m sorry to hear that you had rolling blackouts last night. You must be exhausted. :heart:

Allie: Happy you found a quiet place to get some needed rest. :heart:

We’ve made the grocery rounds this morning, already. Now we’re at home and it is 85F, with predictions of 100F by 4pm this afternoon. We have morning sun & a functional air conditioner. By this afternoon we should be in the shade. There is already a nice breeze. We did our shopping early to avoid afternoon heat & crowds. Both grocery stores in town have early morning hours for seniors. It helps!!! :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Thanks-
    For now I am doing good- not tired at all. We went shopping got some amazing deals on some filet mignon, 4lbs for $26.(usually 15per pound), mushrooms- one pound for .99 which is an amazing deal. Will make a big salad with home grown tomatoes,cucumbers and peppers in it. Will eat what ever I want and not worry about calories- it is 4:30PM and I have only eating 50cal so far. DH will have rice with his, most likely son and his girlfriend will too. I would bake me a potato but used the last of them for potato salad yesterday to go with our BLT's.(had bread for the first time and was not impressed with it- I will pick up some really good bread for next time- now that the tomatoes are coming on and that is my favorite sandwich, I don't want to waste calories on just so-so bread. Husband liked it.
    Time to get dinner going- getting hungry now.

This blackout was just a few hours- not that big of a deal to me - cooled down by taking a cold shower.
    Last October when we had all the fires, we were without power for about a week- I was
    sheltered in place up at the church camp. Was supposed to be there to clean for two days- a week up there with no power/cell service/etc and not knowing how close the fires were, if my parents place was ok(it got within 1000 FEET of their home- warped the roof of the greenhouses) . A few hours is no big thing after that. It will happen again- they already let us know-

Debbie

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,575 Member
    Options
    Uuuuu
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Zwift bike trainer- 1hr 18min 56sec, 11amph, 161mhr, technical issues, 14.53mi= 1066c
    Apple Watch- didn’t record right

Total cal 1066
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    My scale came today so I started the sourdough. Sure hope it comes out OK

Than finished all the x-stitching on the picture I’m making. Still have to do the shading and the outlining. But I did find a frame that I think it will fit into.

Faye – one thing you have to say for Rea, she has some good recipes if you need something rich for a gift. Otherwise, some things I wonder if you can make substitutions. OK, it won’t taste the same. But I many times wonder if you can use, say, milk instead of all the cream or a lower cal piece of meat. Do you really need all that pasta, can you substitute shirataki noodles? I honestly don’t know. But most of her recipes are good, just not very diet friendly. I just wish there was a cooking show for lower cal foods and substitutions.

Looks like my next project will be another good cleaning.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,928 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a dryer for years. I hang my washing up in the utility room on a wooden airer on a pulley. I finish it off by laying it over the chairs in the dining room to air. Not elegant, but cheap! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather - how long does it take towels and bedspreads/quilts to dry?

Lanette B)

I also hang dry everything, including towels and sheets (haven't used bedspreads in decades!).

If possible, wash them before noon, hang them outside for several hours, and then bring them in to finish them in front of the split system ... and then fold and put away the next day.

If it is a particularly rainy winter, I just hang them on a drying rack in front of the split system. They're usually done by the next day.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Wwwww
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😁
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    😴
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    B) just to page 50
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,928 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Weekend Exercise

Saturday -- walked to watch a field hockey game (see p. 59)

Sunday -- rainy so exercised indoors.

Rowing - 5 minutes

Walking on Zwift
    Distance: 5.61km
    Moving Time: 1:02:59
    Elapsed Time: 1:03:43 
    Pace: 11:14/km

Zwift Image of "me"
    39zozzyh742p.png

Machka in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    SuzieQ Part of my phobia about destroyed clothes is I was attacked when I was 6 by a large dog and my pants got all ripped up before my dad shot it. I wasn't hurt physically, but emotionally I still have scars. I was attacked again in my young 20's and the dog tore my jeans bad and I still have scars on my legs and one arm that I put up as it jumped for my throat. Luckily the owner came out at that time and yelled and the dog immediately sat. Something about torn denim that makes me cringe. I did and still do like cutoff jean shorts with a frayed edge, but I always stitch about 1/4 " above the cut so I can control the fray and clip it to make a nice fuzzy edge. I hate big strings hanging down and uneven fray and worse cut so short the pockets are hanging down. One of my friend's grandaughters was wearing shorts like that and I said, "Damn girl that dog did some serious damage." I had to explain my statement to the puzzled girl. She was proud she had paid $60 for those Goodwill rejects.

Faye
    PWN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,726 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Slept wonderful and having my tea. And enjoying sitting with my SIL and nephew and brother