WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Morning again ladies
    I didnt sleep much at all last night/ this morning and smartened up and moved to the back sleeping porch that my dad used to use.. this way lm not right above party central and my SIL can fall asleep watching a loud movie that kept me awake after she fell alseep.. this is the quiet corner..
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Here's a fun fact: Rosie the mini schnauzer is kind of a chub I think and I looked on the dog food bag to make sure I wasn't giving her too much. Looks like for a 12# dog, who sleeps 90% of her waking day, she needs 300 calories a day, which is what we were feeding her. WOW! Anyhow I did a little detective work and realize even though we don't give the dogs people treats other than a few nibbles of fruit or veggies I might be snacking on, they still get tooth cleaning chews 2 or 3 times a week at 50 calories per chew, plus their Omega 3 treats are around 20 calories each. Will ask the vet more about it.

Let's see.... if dogs need 25% to 40% (depending on how active they are) of their body weight in calories, if humans used the same formula, I'd be needing around 5000 calories per day just to maintain 160 lbs. Amazing, isn't it?

Lanette B)
    Sunny SW WA State
    If any of you tried to follow what I posted earlier about how much a dog should eat, I had only had 2 cups of coffee. I mean to state that they need 25 to 40 calories per pound! Where % came in, who knows, lol. Apologies

So that would only put me at 4000 calories per day to maintain 160 lbs. I wish :p

Again, I repeat, good gravy! :)

Early this morning (like at 4 am) I took my coffee cup and sat out on the deck, enjoyed the cool air and saw 2 shooting stars in the space of about 5 minutes. Likely the Perseids Meteor Shower. Nifty.

Then at around 5:15 am, when I had the little dog out and it was just starting to get light, I saw the Spacex Starlink satellite train whizzing nearly overhead in the high southern sky.

Lanette B)
    Got my walk in, watered the garden, picked the Aronia berries. My DH is out mowing while the oven door is still relatively closed. :#

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    When we first moved to our new house in1959 we had a washer/mangle combo. I can remember it steaming up the kitchen. We also had a spin dryer which used to travel across the floor.
    Then (.....drum roll.....) my mother bought a Hoover Keymatic on HP. (Hire purchase) It was fiendishly expensive, but state of the art. You programmed it by inserting a square plastic plate that had different notches in it on each side. Height of sophistication!
    Unfortunately, as you can see from the screenshot, the drum was mounted at an angle (stupid design) which meant it was inherently unstable and the ball bearings kept wearing out. The repair man had to come out frequently. Our proud purchase was a liability.

9bn9mbwmsjk7.jpg

I haven't had a dryer for years. I hang my washing up in the utility room on a wooden airer on a pulley. I finish it off by laying it over the chairs in the dining room to air. Not elegant, but cheap! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    Hhhhh
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Morning 🌄 Ladies
    Im awake and had my tea,and shake and now but yikes barely any sleep.. im to old for that.. going to take a nap sometime today...
    But its great to see my nephew...

same here but no nap-I can never nap, no matter how little sleep I get.
    We were part of the rolling blackouts last night- no power for 3 hrs or something like that. Son said it was 107 yesterday- drank regular tea too late in the evening so, even with taking the pills(had to take them twice)I finally got to sleep sometime between 2:30 and 3AM, then MIL called me at 8:30 to tell me her tv's weren't working, couldn't get back to sleep so got up, fed all the cats(they heard me on the phone so figured I was awake so time to eat) and got the dishes done from last night. It wasn't as bad as I thought with her calling- for some reason, the atomic clock that is supposed to set its self said it was 7:30 instead of 8:30 but I didn't realize what time it really was until I was already up. She then called back to say, dont wake Frank up, the tv's are working now. I am sure it was the cable box/tv' had to reset after the power being out.
    Having my tea and waiting for DH to get ready so we can figure out what we are going to do- looks like we will make the rounds at the grocery stores(we have four we go to, check for bargains, plan out the meals for the week)
    Need to get back before it gets too hot- not supposed to be as hot today but getting hotter with Tuesday the highest.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Faye ... I'm particularly fond of your #5 on DH list .... :D

5 Years From Now Question ... there's a covid-19 meme floating around (that I can't find right now) that reads "we can safely say that everyone that gave an answer to the question 'where do you see yourself in 5 years' was WRONG!"

Beth

now I need to go back and check her list!!!
    Many could be accurate here, depending on the day (and my mood, and how much he is irritating me) ;)

Debbie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I took one of my photos and sized and colored it to that of my GGM and overlayed it (using transparency at 50%) on my GGM and the results were amazing! All our facial features are very close.
    v3y41qetkdjf.jpg
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Burned my thousand calories building 25 feet of fence - the final bit we needed to feel we aren't looking down on the neighbors. Not that anyone's moved in, which is baffling, but pleasing, nonetheless.

Re: wringers on washers:

I rolled my sister's left arm up all the way to her elbow in the wringer at the laundromat before Mama heard her having a cat fit and rescued her. We both wanted to see if it would come out as flat as the wet towels did.

Laundry on the line:

We lived in Black Eagle, Montana, in 1965 or so, the year I started kindergarten, and I remember Mama standing my father's work pants in the corner, frozen stiff from "drying" on the clothesline outside. It was always the first sign that we were about to head south to Texas so he could find work for the winter.

Random thoughts and memories all DAY today, don't know what's up with that... but, I made bread this morning for the week, finished the laundry, finished the fence with Corey, and I'm... well, done. Time to chill out and watch some crap TV, get some crochet done...

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Just been watching 'Disobedience' - a film set in the North London Orthodox Jewish community. With Rachel Weisz. Very good. I have always taken a great interest in the Jewish religion, maybe because I was very close to our Jewish lodger, who partly brought me up. She taught me Yiddish and lots of customs. The film is about the difficulty of being lesbian in such a community. It was well done.

In an hour I'll be watching the rerun of the first series of 'The Bridge'. I saw it the first time, but now my Swedish is much better and, because of the series, we drove over that bridge on my 70th birthday last year on the cruise. :D In the film the body is lying half way across, but the actual border is much nearer the Danish side and there is no line on the border. It will be interesting to see it again with my familiarity with the Scandinavian cultures. When I saw it last I hadn't even been there, except for passing through Sweden once on my way to Finland. Now I know Scandinavia well. :D

Faye - Great likeness! Strong woman.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The bridge, last October, but without the body on it!
    gjuusb05i8fp.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Options
    Don't open while eating! Just my ouchies!
    zua00ixnlxt1.jpg

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: You made me curious. What are Aronia berries? I haven’t heard of them before. Enquiring minds—(mine for sure) are curious. :huh:

Heather: What an amazing piece of clothes washing equipment. It looks functional. I am curious about the mangle. I don’t think I’ve seen one. Is it like a big wringer, but with heat? :star:

Debbie in Napa Valley: I’m sorry to hear that you had rolling blackouts last night. You must be exhausted. :heart:

Allie: Happy you found a quiet place to get some needed rest. :heart:

We’ve made the grocery rounds this morning, already. Now we’re at home and it is 85F, with predictions of 100F by 4pm this afternoon. We have morning sun & a functional air conditioner. By this afternoon we should be in the shade. There is already a nice breeze. We did our shopping early to avoid afternoon heat & crowds. Both grocery stores in town have early morning hours for seniors. It helps!!! :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    I had a nap and feel so much better... my nephew has had some family issues through his life and his friends ,father and son took him in when his stepfather kicked him out.. so he is close with them
    I am not a prude or and enjoy friends and parties .but my brother was riding me telling me times have changed and its ok to have memories but ,we are dealing with 20 somethings that like to party and im more than welcome to come up and enjoy but have to learn to go with the flow...
    I have lifetime use of the place but you remember the last time i was up here that i left early because he was on my a-s..
    Since it is tax free here i ordered groceries at Walmart up here and will pick them up early afternoon tomorrow to take home..
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Lanette: You made me curious. What are Aronia berries? I haven’t heard of them before. Enquiring minds—(mine for sure) are curious. :huh:

We’ve made the grocery rounds this morning, already. Now we’re at home and it is 85F, with predictions of 100F by 4pm this afternoon. We have morning sun & a functional air conditioner. By this afternoon we should be in the shade. There is already a nice breeze. We did our shopping early to avoid afternoon heat & crowds. Both grocery stores in town have early morning hours for seniors. It helps!!! :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Katla - a link on Aronia berries: https://aroniaberry.net/ Our bush just came up "volunteer" a couple years ago after a bird decided to eat a berry somewhere in the neighborhood and deposit it among the little evergreen shrubs in a flowerbed. They aren't sweet or tasty like blueberries, the birds like them when they are dark purple though so I have the bush covered with netting. I add them to oatmeal or just munch them plain and pucker up, lol.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where it's a sunny 89 degrees with a IV Index of 7. Here's a cool website for figuring out UV Index, at least here in the States:
    https://www.epa.gov/sunsafety/uv-index-1
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Heather I get nervous just looking at that bridge. Interestingly, I, my mother, grandmother, and great grandmother all were about the same height, weight, and all had inverted triangle builds. High arched narrow feet about the same length 9-10.

Lisa Black Eagle, Montana Isn't that part of Great Falls? I did a trek following the Missouri River back when I lived and worked in Montana in the 1970s. I wintered in the Bitterroot. I like the way you burn calories! The arm in the wringer makes me cringe. Having bushy hair, small boobs, and wearing tight tops gave me a wringer accident-free record. I used it to roll deer hides after tanning when not washing. It was so great for doing filthy jeans. Clean soft jeans could stand on their own after work.

Michele Yes, Ree loves her butter. You would think she was a dairy farmer instead of a beef rancher. She is a bit heavy with things like cream and fatty meats also. She is a bad influence on me because I am now eating ice cream daily and occasionally have to bake brownies. When my FDH (Fake Dear Husband) lived next door I had a valid reason for baking brownies. He loved my brandy spiked cherry laced brownies and I liked playing wife on occasion. Now it is just unnecessary and foolish.

1343 hours and Umpqua espresso ice cream time ... yippee
    Faye - gray-haired bank walking river woman
    along the river where the mighty sturgeon still swim

9evwwxwj6aix.png