WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    M in Oz I thought when I retired I would have all day for fun and my time. It turns out I don't know how I ever had time to work. I was once like you and 5-6 hours a night was considered a great night. Happy Anniversary and love your wedding photos! That looks like a fun and memorable wedding.

What a great story! I love the rustic cabin off the grid part. I lived in a rustic cabin I built for 15 years and 10 years was off the grid. I never had a phone there other than a duplex radio phone. The dutch oven part brings the smell of Shepard's sourdough bread to my senses.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Did Leslie Sanson 5 Mega Miles DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump video. Still need to look on uTube to find one

Faye – that sounds reasonable to me. No, keep it private. If you go public, who knows what weirdo will join?

Coffee
    – my hubby likes key lime pie. I take a can of sweetened condensed milk, a drop or two of green food coloring and a tub of whipped topping. Mix them all together and pour in (I used a prepared one) pie shell and refrigerate. Oh, add lime juice. I usually add some of the “true lime” stuff. You can add the lemon food color, but it just seems that people associate lime with green. Like I love golden beets. Yet, all the stores only carry the red beets because people associate beets with red.

Tracey – what Pete has, I’d never heard of. Makes me almost afraid to go to the bathroom…lol To me, one of the biggest worries would be that it might happen at any time. Seems that even coughing or sneezing can bring it out. Yikes! When someone tells you not to cough or sneeze, that’s usually when you want to cough.

Had to run to Food Lion to get Vince milk. Good thing I’m an early riser. To his credit, he did text me before I left work yesterday. I just didn’t look at my phone. Now I’ll try to make it a habit to always look at it.

Regarding the sourdough starter – it’s still not rising. I looked on the Internet, some places tell you to drain off the hooch, others say that mixing it in is fine. I did mix mine in. The other thing I could think of is that I keep my flour in the freezer so I don’t get bugs in it (especially the whole wheat that I’ll use and Vince will have as long as I don’t tell him it’s in something). Maybe the flour was too cold when I added it? I think today when I feed it, first I’ll let the flour come to room temp. My water is at room temp and I’m using bottled water.

Made hard boiled some eggs in the IP. Yes, that is my new kick. I love how even fresh eggs peel so easily.

I usually get up around 6.

I’m thinking that I’ll take a pedometer with me to work one day just out of curiosity to see how many steps I get in.

M – happy anniversary

Michele NC
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    From SuziQ: It sounds like your marriage is much like what Charlie and I had together. If one was not busy, the other picked up the slack. It worked very well for us. Honestly, we both had the same habits, we both liked a clean, organized home, both of us cooked, work ethic, etc. We also had those much needed discussions well before we moved in together. Even when we bought this place we agreed ahead of time neither one would try and talk the other in to a place one of us may “love”. We would discuss each place and when both of us felt like it was home it would be the one we would buy.

SuziQ -

More than once you've mentioned your memories of Charlie and I thought he was much like Corey. We discuss everything into the ground, but when it's time to do the next thing (like buy this place), we both know it, and we make the mutual decision quite quickly--or at least it seems quick to others. On another note, I didn't realize until I "retired" how grubby around the edges my house had become - it's been a pleasure putting things to rights. It also helps when I wear my glasses.

:smiley:

My marriage to Corey feels like my reward for surviving my previous marriage of 28 years, and his reward for surviving 17 years with his first wife (also named Lisa, for those who don't know the story).

:)

Machka
    -
    Happy anniversary! Hope you have time to celebrate.

Yes, I'm in bed by 9, which if I go to sleep immediately, snags me about 7 hours of sleep - seldom actually works out that way, according to my Fitbit, but I usually get at least six. Once a week, an unexpected nap sneaks up on me and seems to sort out the mild sleep deficit.

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    michele- my starter took almost 4 weeks of babysitting, mostly on the counter before it was usable starter. and even then I wasn't really happy with the level of sour-ness - now about a year into it, I feel like it has a level of sour-ness that is in the finished product a just a bit of a bite. and I am happy.

I have only made Key Lime Pie a couple of times, but what a South Floridian calles Key Lime Pie would have to have a custard made with real key limes, I believe. SuziQ ???

Kim in N. CA
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    MACHKA ~ Happy Anniversary! We will celebrate our 51st this coming week.

• Faetta
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Leslie Sanson 5 Mega Miles DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump video. Still need to look on uTube to find one

Faye – that sounds reasonable to me. No, keep it private. If you go public, who knows what weirdo will join?

Michele, Hahaha! We are two peas out of the same pod. I wasn't thinking WEIRDOS as much as guys joining ignoring the women restriction. Yes, guys know DIY, but honestly, some of them grate on my nerves. I want this to be what us older females have made work. There may be better ways, but I am a stubborn old broad that loves DIY and seeing what other women do for themselves. I don't care about the guy's way with his selection of 10,000 tools.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Kim CA – that’s so good to hear that it took quite a while for your starter. Makes me feel like not so much of a failure.

Michele NC
    Who is off to the pool
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,607 Member
    Options
    I tell u what, it’s been a month now since retirement and it still hasn’t sunk in. I am loving not having to wake up at 3:30 every weekday and living my life in bike gear and sports bras.
  • Faetta
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    I tell u what, it’s been a month now since retirement and it still hasn’t sunk in. I am loving not having to wake up at 3:30 every weekday and living my life in bike gear and sports bras.

What job did you work at that you were in bike gear and sports bras? That sounds ideal to me if I could still ride a bike. I am thinking about a 3 wheeler.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    Yeah Pip! I live my life in exercise clothes and no bra. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Machka!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Pip: It sounds like you had a good, long walk. I hope the air quality was good and you’re not experiencing smoke from the fires. :star:

Barbie: Your comment on flu shots makes me want to find out whether DH can have them. I’ll send a message to our doctor for each of us. :flowerforyou:

Machka: You have an interesting sleep cycle. One upon a time I was a night owl and stayed up for the late-night talk shows. Then commuting to work required getting up early to beat the morning traffic rush. Now I’m retired—no commuter worries. I watch the TV shows I have recorded and toddle off to bed when I’m ready. Retirement has a few perks. :bigsmile: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! What a fabulous story about how you met and fell in love. :heart:

Heather: Good job watching the weather for your 5K and getting home before the rain started. As to being a dirty girl, good on you! IMHO, too much hand sanitizing can make our immune systems weak and wide-open targets for the next virus that comes along. :star:

Michele: I hope your sourdough gets up and going. I know you can order starter from Bob’s Red Mill if you choose to do it. They’ll send it along with instructions for best results. King Arthur may also have something you can order. I think it will need to be dry to meet post office regulations. That is a supposition on my part. In your situation, I would look at the possibilities online and choose which one I prefer. :flowerforyou:

Kim: You are a generous soul to be willing to take in “friends of friends.” Amazing! :heart:

Regarding health and immunity from viruses, if there is a flu shot available, I will take it. DH has loads of auto-immune problems and I don’t want to become one of them. I plan to send a note to our doctor and ask whether a flu shot is available for each/either of us, and whether it is a good thing for DH.

Riding lesson today!!!! Yay! I can’t believe I get to ride two weeks in a row. My teacher is usually too busy for more than once a month. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Carol - happy anniversary to you and your DH - 51 is quite an accomplishment!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Kim,
    Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and your community.

Yes, real Key limes although I have been know to buy Key lime juice from time to time. Some people make it with a meringue but thats a no no for most. Real whipped cream on top for me. Now I'm craving Key Lime pie.....LOL.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,894 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Dr. Katie: I hope your DH’s cataract surgery goes very well. :flowerforyou:

Rita: I have been my own science project. I was on “the pill” in the early days of our marriage. It was a disaster for me. DH & I had a fight over it. He threw the pills into the toilet and I flushed it. After that I used barrier methods of birth control until the blessing of “the change” came along. That wasn’t much fun. I am not a fan of hormone replacement therapy. :noway: After “the change,” I had some bone density problems—two broken wrists caused by separate falls on unseen ice. It was then that I was put on alondrate for bone health support. So far, it is a good strategy for me. I take the once a week version rather than the daily version. Good luck working through things until you find your comfortable spot. :heart:

Rita—new subject.: I’d like your advice about an extended RV trip. Our son wants us to drive across the country to visit his family. He thinks we can do it in the Bounder. DH refuses to fly anywhere and he is not inclined toward driving the Bounder across the country. Our Bounder is a near twin to yours. Do you think it is a sensible idea to drive it that far? I am developing a plan B and I doubt DH will be a fan of that either. My plan B is to drive to his sister’s place in Eastern Oregon in the Bounder, and DH could stay in the Bounder with the dog while I fly to VA to see our DS and his wonderful family. Would you drive your Bounder across the country & back? It would be a VERY long roundtrip in my thinking.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Katla, thanks for your thoughts on hormone therapy! I’m going to keep experimenting till I find a happy place!

On the Bounder, mine is a 1999 with very low mileage. The thing was almost new when we got it 3 years ago. If yours is in good condition, I would definitely take it cross country. Plan on at least a more nth. It will depend how far/long you drive each day and if you stop to sightsee along the way. We took out time and enjoyed the different scenery along the way. More comfortable and less stress if you take your time and enjoy a little of each state you go through. You will enjoy it and so will your DH.

Good luck!

RV Rita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,894 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Rita – I want the best of both worlds….road travel and a home base. I keep thinking along the lines of a small cottage with a decent shed/garage. Between the pension Charlie left me and SSI I should be able to swing it, but not living in SFL where everything is getting more expensive by the day.

Hugs to all,
    SuziQ – SFL

key limes we have them in stores here. I made a Keto key lime mouse with them that came out awesome!

RV living we wanted the same thing but wanted to travel until we found a place we would be comfortable in. Instead of buying something, we found our place here at the park as a permanent home base for the last 2 years and as long as the ranger doesn’t get in trouble (being a state park) we can stay. We have a rental unit and DH works for our housing costs doing maintenance and making signs for the park. Not our original plan but is working awesomely for us.

There are tiny houses that can be easily moved from one place to another. Some RV parks allow full time campers and have monthly fees. We have had tiny houses in our campground that were simply traveling until they found a permanent home they liked. (These are difficult to drive around though. Most had truck drivers towing them with a big rig and a CDL license).

Once you get started, there are many choices. Start with the RV then look around for your permanent spot! Hosting is always an option for longer term stays. Not a difficult job. Some are paid along with the free sites/water/electric/sewer/trash.

Good luck and have fun!

RV Rita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    M in Oz,
    ok that would scare me! I have a phobia regarding anything spider related....💖! 😁
    💖Rebecca

It's incentive to vacuum the ceilings!
    Um, friend you are brave beyond measure. I remember most each and every spider I have come across, inside my homes, because they have been burned in my memory. As a child I would just scream and run.😂 As a rational person I don't scream anymore, but I do yell for husband and he comes running!
    💖Rebecca
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,279 Member
    Options
    I was delighted to see the other day that our pharmacy is offering free flu jabs. Getting to the doctors is such a pain, but a walk in pharmacy jab sounds much easier. It is just at the top of our road, so, if they are busy, I can come back. It's not until the middle of September though. :(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx