WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    I still dry most clothes on hangers strung on the shower curtain rod and have a wooden expandable drying rack stuck away for emergencies.

Lanette B)
    Sunny SW WA State

I have to hang dry everything ... no dryer. :)

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Personally, I'm mentally toying with the thought of uncertainty - and why humans are so uncomfortable with it as a species. Just cogitating.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I think I'm fortunate in a way that I have (like you) moved a lot, lived in a lot of different places and conditions, gone to school in different places, and worked in different places. I think all of that makes dealing with uncertainty a little bit easier.

Machka in Oz

It's a good call, Machka - When an interviewer would ask, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" I would have to lie like a rug. Like you, looking ahead was always pretty much a useless exercise. Now I'm trying to figure out how to plan ahead when I've never actually done that before! :smiley:
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    PIP ~ Does your coffee have the Irish Cream in it? :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    I was determined not to work on anything like homework or on my other project today.

Relaxing morning
    Scones and jam for breakfast

And then we went to a pair of hockey games!! Field hockey, not ice ... quite different. Our son and daughter-in-law were playing ... him in the first game, her in the second.

It was my first time really watching field hockey, and definitely the first time in person. Once we found a place to sit, out of the way of other people, I just relaxed and watched the game. We went inside shortly after the second game started and found a table and chairs near a viewing window and our son came in, joined us and we talked while watching his wife play. I found the whole thing surprisingly relaxing and nice. I didn't have to think about my list of things to do, or dealing with anything ... I could just watch and/or chat.

I guess it's kind of like when we used to go to the symphony or a play at the theatre and maybe that's why I like the symphony or plays. Once we're there, I can just sit and enjoy. And that's something I don't get much of a chance to do. Unfortunately the symphony and plays won't be up and running again for a while.

This evening, I've been catching up on stuff that I let go during the mad rush of doing Assignment 1 ... and shortly I'll go to bed and read a novel for a bit.

Machka in rainy Tas
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    1948Peachy wrote: »

Damn straight skippy!

I should try Irish Cream. I have been partial to C & J's brandy with my poor girls mocha, but maybe I need to broaden my horizons. I have an unopened bottle of Grand Marnier from last Christmas. I wonder if it would go good in coffee.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Personally, I'm mentally toying with the thought of uncertainty - and why humans are so uncomfortable with it as a species. Just cogitating.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I think I'm fortunate in a way that I have (like you) moved a lot, lived in a lot of different places and conditions, gone to school in different places, and worked in different places. I think all of that makes dealing with uncertainty a little bit easier.

Machka in Oz

It's a good call, Machka - When an interviewer would ask, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" I would have to lie like a rug. Like you, looking ahead was always pretty much a useless exercise. Now I'm trying to figure out how to plan ahead when I've never actually done that before! :smiley:

Oh yeah ... I've come up with all kinds of exciting stories of where I saw myself in 5 years!!

For a well-established family organisation who had a lot of long-term employees, I'd gush about how much I liked the city and how I wanted to find an organisation where I could be comfortable for years to come.

For a place that only hired temporary staff (their HR needs were taken care of by employment agencies), I would emphasise that I would like to remain with with their organisation but that I was also interested in pursuing further education (on my own time) to increase my opportunities within the organisation.

But each time I felt like saying to the person, "Seriously ... where do YOU see yourself in 5 years?" :lol:

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Faye ~ DH = Dear Husband or Damn Husband....LOL Whichever you like! :)

😂😂 this could be dependent on the day or even hour as to which it is.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Faye ... I'm particularly fond of your #5 on DH list .... :D

5 Years From Now Question ... there's a covid-19 meme floating around (that I can't find right now) that reads "we can safely say that everyone that gave an answer to the question 'where do you see yourself in 5 years' was WRONG!"

Beth

• joesgal90
    joesgal90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Joesgal ~ I live in Marietta, GA. Hope you continue to come and visit us here.

Carol in GA

Thank you!

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have a bright, bright sunshiny day and no plan for the day so far. It is currently 8:01 AM. I hope to put some fun into the day.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Machka in Oz

Oh yeah ... I've come up with all kinds of exciting stories of where I saw myself in 5 years!!

For a well-established family organisation who had a lot of long-term employees, I'd gush about how much I liked the city and how I wanted to find an organisation where I could be comfortable for years to come.

For a place that only hired temporary staff (their HR needs were taken care of by employment agencies), I would emphasise that I would like to remain with their organisation but that I was also interested in pursuing further education (on my own time) to increase my opportunities within the organisation.

But each time I felt like saying to the person, "Seriously ... where do YOU see yourself in 5 years?" :lol:

M in Oz

Love those ... my stock answer became, "I've lived a lot of my life moving and changing. Now I'm finally ready to find the last company I will ever work for - and I hope it's yours," and then go into rhapsodies on how wonderful they were, and how I could see myself helping drive the company to greater heights, blah, blah, blah...

I hadn't seen the COVID-19 answer to the question, but it's kind of hilarious. :smiley:

Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Damn straight skippy!

I should try Irish Cream. I have been partial to C & J's brandy with my poor girls mocha, but maybe I need to broaden my horizons. I have an unopened bottle of Grand Marnier from last Christmas. I wonder if it would go good in coffee.

Doesn’t hurt, give it a shot
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Faye ... I'm particularly fond of your #5 on DH list .... :D

5 Years From Now Question ... there's a covid-19 meme floating around (that I can't find right now) that reads "we can safely say that everyone that gave an answer to the question 'where do you see yourself in 5 years' was WRONG!"

Beth

Beth I offer 54 choices and you pick #5 hahaha!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rita: Your clothes line is great! I am so impressed that I showed it to DH. He was impressed, too. :star:

I’ve been looking for something like it because mine is on its last leg and we’ve been bandaid fixing it to keep it going. Haven’t had luck. DH will just have to build one for me!

RvRita
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Lanette - my Grandmother was born in 1913 and passed in 2009. She often told stories about riding in the horse and buggy. There were two that I think about. She met my Grandfather when she boarded at his parents place to teach at the one room school. She actually had a little crush on his brother who had been taking her back and forth to town to catch the train. One weekend there was a sick horse so my Grandfather ended up taking her to town instead of his brother, she said “and that was that”.
    The other was when they had to get the horse and buggy to go to get the doctor who was needed because her brother was ill. The doctor came back and operated to remove his appendix on the dining room table.

I was born in 1968 and both my mother and Grandmother used a wringer washer until the early 80’s. I’ve hung my fair share of laundry on the line in winter.

My cousin had a dog that kept getting bigger and bigger. She couldn’t figure out what was going on, turned out that the scoop they were using for the food was 1 cup bigger than they thought it was. They changed the scoop and all was well.

I’ve read and skimmed through. I am going to leave in just a couple minutes to go get my Grands and we are leaving for our sleepover at Auntie’s. I don’t know who is more excited the Grands or my youngest and her husband. He built a tire swing on their new property for the kids because Michaela asked for it on the day they moved in. They moved in one month ago today.

Have a great day everyone
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! I can't stand it any longer. I just have to ask and risk being the thread dummy. At least two of you refer to your husband as DH. Is this just coincidence that they have the same initials or is this an internet code for the husband?

Curious Faye USA
    49 years a widow
    Faye ~ DH = Dear Husband or Damn Husband....LOL Whichever you like! :)

My DH say that and when I told him what it meant said we should use DM to be politically correct! Lol

Darling/Damned Mate=DM

I was talking to my high school best friend in Australia now and using DH. She asked and thought it was the funniest thing!

RV Rita
  • Faetta
    edited August 2020
    Options
    "Binding Bras and Billowing Bloomers" Saying from my American Indian/Sinti Gypsy Grandmother. Sashaying my old "kitten" out to walk.... later lovelies ...
    DF = Della Faye or Dizzy Female your choice
    hcrx6bf1pwck.png