WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,277 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka - we are going light minty blue/green like the sheets for our wall paint in October. I've had blue as my secondary colourway for years. My accent colour is pink. Otherwise my neutral is usually grey in recent years, but I haven't got much grey here, just a rug. We are going to have the frames on the glass dividing double doors a dark grey. We still haven't decided whether to have the picture rail and door the same grey, or the same colour as the walls. Plus what we do with the fire surround. I hate making decisions like that. The painter said he would do a bit to show us. :*

Very windy, rainy. But better than a heatwave. Haven't been running for nearly 2 weeks. :'( First too hot, then I was sick, now too windy! The waves were crashing over the promenade yesterday.

Sending thoughts winging to the fire ladies! <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,999 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Machka - we are going light minty blue/green like the sheets for our wall paint in October. I've had blue as my secondary colourway for years. My accent colour is pink. Otherwise my neutral is usually grey in recent years, but I haven't got much grey here, just a rug. We are going to have the frames on the glass dividing double doors a dark grey. We still haven't decided whether to have the picture rail and door the same grey, or the same colour as the walls. Plus what we do with the fire surround. I hate making decisions like that. The painter said he would do a bit to show us. :*

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Lovely!

My places have been shades of tan/taupe & brown with blue and green accents. Kind of beachy. :)

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbara crying is very therapeutic at times. let the downpour begin.

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Barbara - Worrying about a loved one's health is so much harder than being the sufferer. :s My memories of our last trip to Mexico are quite happy, but DH was traumatised by my Montezuma's Revenge. Love to you both. I think eyes are especially worrying. Please do have a good cry. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,999 Member
    Options
    Saturday -- we attempted to load Zwift but for some reason it wasn't keen on loading. So I walked on the treadmill instead.

Distance: 6.03 km
    Moving Time: 1:04:12
    Pace: 10:38/km
    Perceived Exertion: Easy

Probably only 250 calories ... it takes time and effort to get the calorie burn up!

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Faye - I guesstimated the 10 feet turn test and did it in 6 seconds. When I actually measured it afterwards it was over 12 feet. I am deducting half a second. :D 5.5 secs.

Expecting my Waitrose delivery after lunch. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies.

It’s official. I have been logging in to MFP for one year! I know I am a newbie in comparison to many of us among this group, but it feels good to have one year under my belt.

I will say the past two months have been difficult for me. I have gotten out of some of my healthy habits and need to reign myself back in. It is very different working remote. When I was going to the office I had to make sure my meals were planned and packed. At home I have free reign. So I have decided I will dedicate an area in my refrigerator as my “lunch box” and will go back to packing up my next day’s work meals and snacks in that area. I am also committing to taking two 15-minute breaks during my workday and getting some additional steps in.

I got the bill for my “big” (lol) electrical repair. I wish I would have checked things out, but it was worth the $65 to have someone check everything out for me. Especially since I have an “experimental” circuit breaker. I am not looking forward to the day I have to replace it. For now, it’s fine and should be ok for the next year or two.

Barbara – So sorry to hear about Joe’s eye! And, the stress of coordinating care and prescriptions. As Karen stated, it is good to have a good cry. I think that’s why women live longer than men – we allow ourselves to release both positive and negative feelings through our eyes. I have been known to cry over a heart-felt commercial!

Faye – Regarding the moth being a friend or a foe, I believe all things have both natures in them. The moth is a friend when it’s outside. It’s a pollinator, it eats smaller bugs, and it’s beautiful to look at. That same moth, if it were to come inside and lay eggs, would be foe.

Kim – Every time I read a story about those in charge at the camp I just shake my head. I would never ask someone to do something I would not do myself.

Lisa – I am so glad you have found your retirement rhythm.

Heather – Edie is adorable in her football uniform! She is growing up so quickly!

Beth – I chuckled over “fall is in the air”. Here in SFL fall does not arrive until the end of October! Which means we will be in the high 70’s to low 80s. I will say I miss fall and spring the most. I certainly do not miss Old Man Winter!!

Yvonne – I so agree with your Uncle Mike. I am also very glad Charlie and I took trips and vacations and did not wait for retirement. Since he passed when I was 45 (there was a 19-year gap between us) I would not have had all of those fond memories and experiences. I still laugh over some of our escapades!

Tina – I have been baking too much too! For me it’s a soothing and predictable process. I am lucky because I have a neighbor who will take my baking off of my hands. I am now baking healthier things. I made a nice batch of Molasses Bran muffins this past week.

Michele – It sounds like you are enjoying your job. It’s my thought I will need to find something to keep me busy when I retire. I want to travel the country and I am looking into various crafts I can sell while on the road. I have know a few people in my past who traveled the fair circuit and were able to finance their travels from the selling of various crafts and products.

Masks – I have 15 masks! Yes, 15 of them. I always carry at least two and have a back up in the car. As mentioned earlier in the month people are now developing mask mouth (gum disease). The professionals believe it’s because those who wear masks, especially for long periods, are not hydrating enough and thereby have a back up of bacteria in their mouths. I would think, based upon their findings, masks have a build up of that bacteria which causes them to smell. I change mine frequently, if I have to wear for a period of time. I am also making sure I hydrate whenever I can.

Tracey – HR, at least in the States, has been in the business of protecting the company from lawsuits. Yes, I can go to them for benefits assistance, but would never go to them for any management-type of issue. I usually deal with those on my own and or work with a manager as best as I can. I left one of my jobs because I tried to go through the ranks and when nothing was done – I started my own business which was something I had wanted to do. Eventually decided working for myself wasn’t what I wanted and I dove back in to the corporate world where I will remain until I retire. I just keep telling myself it’s work, it’s not life. What happens there stays there. I am thankful I am currently employed by a decent group, but always remember it’s a business and a business is not going to cry over me.

Katla – Reading about your challenges with the RV has me thinking about my own retirement. I do want to travel the country and have thought about purchasing an RV when that time comes. But I waver back and forth between an RV or a travel van. I think the van would be easier to handle but comes at a price with lack of space. It is an ever going back and forth with me. We plan, G laughs. I have quite a bit of time to decide and resided in the fact I will make that decision when the time comes.

Gloves and such – Due to the high level of cases all of our stores have people cleaning and sanitizing every cart and high touch area such as doors constantly. Every store has someone sanitizing carts as they come into the store. Even Costco. I keep sanitizer clipped to a belt loop and no longer carry a purse. My purse is a small reusable bag that can be sanitized. My hands are sanitized before I open the car, after the bags are placed in my car, etc. My hands are washed as soon as I walk in the door. It’s funny I do not think about it anymore – it’s just part of my being. But, I am also one who has had a bottle of sanitizer clipped to the outside of her purse for about 20 years plus. I have always been a little neurotic when it comes to my hands and public places.

Lanette – Sorry to hear about Rosie’s teeth. The groomer should have known better……even our own dentists tell us to use “soft” brushes.

Vicki – Glad to hear the hives are sleeping.

Allie – I am glad you had a good time with Homer. You gave him a good day.

Kylia – It almost sounds like there needs to be a family meeting and expectations need to be laid out. I think Machka has a great idea….maybe it’s time to hire outside of the family.

Great news on the storms front (there were two). Florida is officially out of the cones of concern. We will get some wind and rain from Laura. We will not see any effects from Marco. It’s sad because both are expected to land around Louisiana. Those poor folks cannot catch a break!

It’s off to the races for me. So many things to do around the house. I really do not feel like doing any of them! I did schedule next Thursday and Friday off. I want to get ahead of things so I can enjoy the long weekend!

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,069 Member
    Options
    (((Barbara)))
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie – I hope the news is good with Homer, and the situation gets better with Faith.

Kylia – I’m sorry people are letting you down, it’s so stressful when they’re also family. Is it possible for you to get a job elsewhere and let them deal with it without you? Might change a few minds as to what’s important. Just a thought. No worries about venting, sometimes we must.

Barbara – the business with Joe’s eye sounds horribly stressful. Hope he’s more comfortable now, and well done for him getting seen—it must have hurt like stink.

Tina – Baking is a stress-reliever for me, as well. In February and then March, as the virus was ramping up and work was getting more and more stressful, I was baking every weekend—mostly cookies. That would be one of the reasons my highest weight ever showed up on the scale by the end of March. Corey’s co-workers enjoyed every Monday for weeks on end, as I sent whatever survived to work with him.

SuziQ – Loved the frogs and the sunrise… Your statement was quite profound regarding business – “always remember it’s a business and a business is not going to cry over me.” I’ve also always been a little neurotic about hands – I never push open a public bathroom door with my hands, I always use a paper towel – and HATE bathrooms with no paper, only air dryers. I use one foot to flush any non-automatic toilet, etc. etc. I can’t use hand sanitizer, as the ingredients crack my skin open, but I wash my hands a lot. Corey and I tried living in a pull-behind camper/trailer (neither one of us was willing to drive a large RV) and hated it, even with it parked and plugged in. It was OK for a little while, but long-term wasn’t a good thing. Survived over a winter in the desert living in it and gave up. Tiny house living is not in our future.

Love,
    Lisa
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Re: Traveling and when – I’m so done with travel in general that I’m more than happy to be here at home. I travel in different ways now. There is so much to build, to change, to explore in this place we've found, I’m not sure I’ll ever get it all built, changed, and seen.

Re: My own rhythms in retirement - Corey seems to feel the same way about just being here, but I also see the tiredness in his eyes as he knows that it’s going to be another 11 years until he can stop working for good. He’s nine years younger than I am, for those who don’t know.

I could not be “retired” if it wasn’t for his complete support, and look forward to getting my Social Security benefit at the first possible moment (15 months from now) so that there is some other funding coming in and some of the pressure is off for him. I ran the figures, and if I waited until full benefit at age 67, I would even out at 77, and then would receive significantly more, of course, over the remainder of my life. However, since no one in my family has yet survived that long, it makes little sense to wait. With my benefit, we should be able to pay off the house in 2023, and that will take even more pressure off him.

Taking care of him and this place (and myself, so I can do those things) is my job now, as far as I’m concerned. He deserves to have as few worries as possible.

He had to work today, bless him. He deserves both weekend days off, but they will keep breaking stuff that he then has to fix, and sometimes it just can't get fixed on a weekday. It's time and a half, which is great for our budget, but means he'll have to get a lot of relaxing in tomorrow. Can't believe Labor Day is around the corner! It's not a holiday for him - they get only four paid holidays off - July 4, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day. Hard to argue with people who appreciate what he does, pay him well, and give him a truck to drive. We are exceedingly fortunate people and do not take these things for granted.

Beautiful cool morning, another harbinger of Fall, and am looking forward to the season changing.

Dawn is breaking, time to get the clothes out on the line, and then get on the elliptical. Then more brush cutting--that was yesterday's yard work and I got maybe a quarter of the trees trimmed. Lots more to do this morning. Had to wait on the brush cutting until I could get an elbow strap--couldn't lift the battery chain saw with my elbow pinging. If I played tennis, it would be tennis elbow, but I actually did the minor damage while I was hoeing grass out around the hibiscus. After a couple months of ouch, it was time to support that elbow a bit so it can heal. I haven't let it stop me, but it is annoying.

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Kylia Glad you didn't delete your post. Relieving stress by sharing with others is healthy, not whinny. Thank you for sharing.
  • Faetta
    Options
    SuzieQ Glad that moth is a good one helping nature. We have moths that kill trees and other vegetation. I am not disturbed about spiders building webs around my doors. My bestie gets all crazy about spider webs. I showed her one of my webs that was filled with dead flies. "Better in the web than my house," I say. She is a homewrecker in a spider's opinion.
  • Faetta
    Options
    Barbara Sorry to hear about Joe's eyes. I occasionally have pain and it helps to hold a warm bag on it. You can buy those microwaveable bags just made for the eyes. I use my regular buckwheat filled bag and the heat helps get the nerves soothed.