WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I wonder who I should call near me about Project Linus. I have one hospital in mind. I’ll contact them next week and see whether we’re a match. I like to knit more than I like to crochet. What sort of dimensions do you recommend?

Tracey: Good luck with your car. I hope there is an easy fix to get you back on the road and feeling confident that you’ll be able get where you want to go with no worries. :star:

I saw one of our good neighbors helping another get up the the ramp from the docks and get home. R was likely fishing for much of the day and tired. I hope he’s okay.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    Rrrrr
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It's another cool autumn day, but looks a little brighter today. We have had to bring on the heating for an hour morning and evening this week. Hoping to be able to get out for a walk with DH if it stays dry.

Today I did a dance aerobics workout after my morning meditation. I don't recommend mixing meditation and exercise at the same time 😂 Their purposes are completely at odds with one another.

Lanette: The West Coast isn't called Wild Atlantic Way for nothing!!! It takes the brunt of the weather that you send us. 😂
    Michele: When I first started using that site there where no ads at all, but I suppose that they have to fund these sites somehow. 😒 that your plans to see PJ have been postponed.
    Pip: Your apartment has a warm cosy feel to it, and looks very spacious. I love that rocker.
    Yvonne: Welsh Rarebit is a bit like a toastie grilled without the top slice of bread. I add a little marmite to mine, although I don't eat it very often these days.
    Lisa: Glad to hear that there is progress with the VA.
    Rebecca: 😍 The sheet music paintings. It sure doesn't hurt to do a bit of positive shmoosing. People seem to respond to it.

I will go to our local shops for Sunday roast, bread and the paper just before lunch when it's quiet. Maybe get into the garden to tidy it up after the winds.

I plan to work on my crochet. Doing a freestyle cardigan which will be useful as the cold weather comes in. Also working on another one using squares of different sizes in white and shades of turquoise.

Time for a short indoor walk then breakfast.
    7de9ua8i52xo.png
    ☘️ Terri

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    NEED ADVISE My bestie has decided to try once again to lose weight after her visit to the heart doc. She wants a folding treadmill suitable for walking. She has one knee replaced and is over by 80-100 lbs. I used to keep her thinner with biking and walking, but neither she nor I can bike and she cannot walk far because of lung damage from last year having double pneumonia. She also cannot stand the heat or much cold, so indoors it is for her. She refuses to do my leg lifts or my sashay walk. "After all what does a skinny butt broad know about weight loss?" Her words! She has had 20 different walking exercise machines and she wants something small and foldable that doesn't take up much room. We are headed out to look at one local sports store. Any and all input is appreciated. Stair steppers bother her fake knee, so they are out. She asked my advice and I told her I know nothing as I don't and never have used machines except in physical therapy, however, I do know some ladies that are a gold mine of info on walking machines for weight loss.

Treadmills have a weight limit. Be sure to find one that includes her current weight.

Small and foldable might not work because it might not take her weight.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    NEED ADVISE My bestie has decided to try once again to lose weight after her visit to the heart doc. She wants a folding treadmill suitable for walking. She has one knee replaced and is over by 80-100 lbs. I used to keep her thinner with biking and walking, but neither she nor I can bike and she cannot walk far because of lung damage from last year having double pneumonia. She also cannot stand the heat or much cold, so indoors it is for her. She refuses to do my leg lifts or my sashay walk. "After all what does a skinny butt broad know about weight loss?" Her words! She has had 20 different walking exercise machines and she wants something small and foldable that doesn't take up much room. We are headed out to look at one local sports store. Any and all input is appreciated. Stair steppers bother her fake knee, so they are out. She asked my advice and I told her I know nothing as I don't and never have used machines except in physical therapy, however, I do know some ladies that are a gold mine of info on walking machines for weight loss.

Treadmills have a weight limit. Be sure to find one that includes her current weight.

Small and foldable might not work because it might not take her weight.

For example, if you look at NordicTrack Treadmills, you'll see the Performance Specs.
    https://www.nordictrackfitness.com.au/product/t-series-treadmills/89/nordictrack-t70-treadmill/10537/details

In the case of this one, the T70, you'll see it has a 130kg (287 lbs) User Weight Capacity. It is not recommended for someone heavier than that.

Treadmills will also have a speed. If the person just wants it for walking, the speed is probably not an issue. However if the person is training for a marathon, the speed is important. In this case, the t70 has a 0-20 KPH Speed

This is a Proform: https://www.proformfitness.com.au/product/power-and-performance/41/proform-power-595i/11583/details

Scroll down to Tech Specs and you'll see this one has a 1 - 20kph speed like the NordicTrack but it is engineered to carry 125kg (276 lbs)

In addition, if the person is going to run, she'll have to check the length of the tread belt. This particular one advertises as "The extended 140cm length is long enough to let you stretch out your stride, and the huge 51cm width provides you with loads of comfortable elbow room." which would be appealing features.

So those are a few of the things to check.

I'd advise comparing several different models, look at the reviews, and get the highest quality one which fits her specifications that she can afford.

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Barbara - so glad Joe's procedure is done, hope the healing proceeds carefully and successfully. We turn most of the branches we take down into mulch for the orchard and the flower beds, but we do burn quite a bit.

The washer's in motion with Corey's work clothes while he sleeps in, bless him. He didn't get home last night until 6:30, another 13-hour day. Last weekend, he walked in the laundry room while I was putting ammonia in the washload for his clothes, and was shocked at the scent - Laughing, I asked him how he thought I got all that grease and ground-in dirt out of his work clothes. Back to the old saying about how sausages are made, best not to see how the wash gets accomplished, just be grateful that it's done!
    :smiley:

No plans for the "three-day" weekend. Placed in quotes because it certainly doesn't matter to me, and Corey doesn't get Labor Day off. The winter holiday season is quite slow for them (it's a landscaping company), so he will get those three holidays, but spring/summer/fall are all busy times. Wonder if they will have their Christmas dinner at the country club again this year?

Time to get some writing and reading done before the sun comes up, when it will be time to get the clothes out on the line and start the rest of my day.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Bbbb
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    SuzieQ I have tried for years to get her to walk in place but she is so stubborn. I keep reminding her that she hasn't stayed with any machine or routine for more than a few weeks.

Barbara She had an elliptical that I recommended. She used it for about 3 weeks and her weight hadn't changed so she said it was junk and gave it away. Yes, my eye is always drawn to that kind of art.

M in OZ Thanks, great point! This was one of my points to her and also what she found out yesterday at the sports shop.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    projectlinusoregon.org/index.html

Katla
    This is the link to the Project Linus website for Portland/Vancouver. It has a means to contact the chapter, a list of drop off sites, and guidelines for materials and sizes. They will have answers to your questions.

<3 Barbie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Since I am the last of five generations of my families one weak-eyed women .....
    2jy7klenrpzg.jpg
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Finished rearranging my bedroom..And, just made the best hummus in my NutriBullet. Food Network's recipe. So much cheaper and healthier making my own. No more waiting for BOGO sales. LOL.
  • Katla49
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Terri: I’m thinking that you’re missing out on the fact that we’re South of you. Surely your bad weather comes from Canada & the North Atlantic. As the world turns, perhaps your bad weather comes from Norway. :wink:

Faye: Seniors in our area have often been mall walkers in the early morning before the stores open. I have no idea whether they are open to mall walkers during this CoVID mess. I would recommend that your friend looks for a stationary bike that she can keep inside her home. It would likely be easier on her knees than walking on the concrete floor of a mall. As winter comes along, it would be weather proof. She could ride, watch TV and knit or crochet all at once. :star:

Lisa: We have no plans for the 3 day weekend, either. :ohwell:

Barbie: Thank you for the project Linus link. I’ll look at it & see what it involves. :star:

• Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Terri: I’m thinking that you’re missing out on the fact that we’re South of you. Surely your bad weather comes from Canada & the North Atlantic. As the world turns, perhaps your bad weather comes from Norway. :wink:

You can see how weather travels from here:

https://www.windy.com/?46.869,-36.543,3

It looks like Ireland is getting the residue from hurricane Laura.

M in Oz

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Options
    Machka:

Thanks for the hurricane link. It makes sense that Ireland could rotate into the remains of it.

Katla