WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Kate UK yikes hope you heal quickly..
    I went grocery shopping and got home and put it away.. going to rest up and then tackle making the bed and cleaning up my bedroom..
    I am enjoying the weekend but do miss the beach and family...
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did some training games on the Wii. The plan for tomorrow is to do some Dressed Up Drills

SuziQ
    – ammonia gets rid of the perspiration stains? Even if the shirt/whatever has gone thru the dryer?

The Wii told me this morning that I achieved my goal before the deadline. So what did I do? I rewarded myself with a piece of chocolate cake. But on the good side…I only had half the cake and through the rest away. Why did I do that? I wasn’t really hungry for it.

Made the chocolate pudding pie for tonight then took a walk to Food Lion because I forgot to get tomatoes for tonight (last night). I don’t have the tomato slicer so I’ll probably just use a knife.

Did a load of laundry, made yogurt and let it drain overnight so put that in the refrig, made some hard boiled eggs. Then fed my starter.

Starter update: very very little activity. Well, the one and only time I saw some activity was when I used the whole wheat flour so this time I used ½ ww and ½ unbleached AP flour. We’ll see what happens, but I’m not holding my breath. The King Arthur starter is supposed to be here today and I can’t wait.

Woke up with a bit of dizziness. Noticed that it really happens only when I put my head down so I’m wondering if it has something to do with my sinuses. The weather has changed.

M – glad you were able to get away for the weekend. Something wonderful for you. Many times it’s so relaxing just to do very little. Those pics look awesome

Ken & Lynette are coming over tonight. I have to say, Lynette being VERY overweight she just likes to sit around. In one sense I can understand it, she’s tired after working. But she won’t be working today. I do have something that I can work on. I usually make hats for the soup kitchen while I’m at the Green Room, but I haven’t been there in so long.

Barbara
    – we do close off the bedrooms. Why he chooses to mark them is beyond me. We got him when he was only a few weeks old and had him neutered at the time the vet recommended it (I don’t remember exactly how old he was). Speaking of neutering a cat, Jessica did one on Friday (poor cat). I must have missed that search bar, thanks for pointing it out

Kate UK
    – ouch! Hope it all goes away real soon

Ginny OH
    – I never thought of this, but the lady who runs our bowling league was saying how this lady gave her trophies that her late husband had earned. They took the plaque off and put one on for another person. Maybe you can do something like that? Now I’m so sorry I got rid of a lot of trophies from the kids

If you have a hard time finding bleach, during the summertime get this stuff called “chlorinating solution”. You’ll find it in pool stores. The active ingredient in it is bleach (sodium hypochlorite)! At the start of this pandemic finding bleach was like finding gold, but there were tons and tons of this. People didn’t buy it because it doesn’t say “bleach”. But that’s what it is!

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    hmm not taking my post?
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: pooches down drive in am, dozen bulbs to Tracie, Post Office, Mini Pet Mart, Grocery Outlet, Freddie’s.
    Bonus: relieved Joe of lifting duties: watering Stinky, dogs, break down 35 lb bag of kibble,
    Get to do: get outside chores done before livestreaming church, take pics of car, BB&B, type up ABN update form and addendum, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    6: focus on healthy choices: smoothie for breakfast, veggie and cheese tray for dinner, resistance training or weights.
    What a satisfying day. Got the pooches down the drive first thing, pulled a little salal from the clearing, spotted another tree-ling to liberate, barbered two giant ferns, weeded another 3 ft of flowerbed, ran errands. Vitamins still not arrived, but same brand/formula on sale (?!?) at Freddies so got 3. After two days in the car felt good to move the ol’ bod.

Terri “marmite” :noway: :lol: Bacon, yes. Marmite noooo! :love: the daringtolivefully.com affirmations.
    Lisa what kind of chipper/shredder do you use? Joe is proceeding especially carefully with his meds. He made a chart with columns for each rx (6 drops 2 pills 1 ointment) and rows for the number of doses/day, then enters the time taken when he does. I’m delighted. In the past he’s been somewhat “resistant of treatment” but he really wants to give the meds every chance to work. Where are you able to buy ammonia? It’s off the shelves here, a friend of a friend said it’s been banned from consumer products due “hazardous nature.”
    Welcome back Ginny in OH, you were missed.
    SuziQ any before and after pics of your rearranged space?
    Faye so sorry to hear your friend’s stubborn resistance. Maybe the magic she needs is an activity she loves to do, like swimming or dancing? Reminds me that I cannot “exercise” away the pounds without choosing healthier food and portions.
    Machka “multitasking” :laugh: Fascinating “how weather travels” link. We could use the rain, but alas, the Chetco effect (wind from hot inland instead of normal cool ocean) is here for the next 4 days.
    Allie great news about Homer, good luck with Home Depot!
    Annie your path to pushups inspires me. I’ll get out SWSY and the weights today. Wrestling with a 35 lb bag of kibble yesterday showed me how I need to build strength, especially so long as Joe is forbidden to lift more than 5 lbs.
    Rebecca who wouldn’t want to get one of your creative, artistic, chatty, loving letters? Well done! Your mom must have been beautiful!
    Rita sorry hanging out with the 28 yr olds is making your dh sad about his age. There are so many things I’m grateful for at 70 that are different than where I was when I was 28. First is being married to Joe. Second is being financially stable while retired. Think I’m a little nicer too ;)
    Katla what you said to Faye. Truth that.
    Michele Sorry your cat is marking the guest bed. Can you close off the room? How old was he when he was neutered? Tunebat has many songs. Do you see a search window? If not... perhaps adjust your browser's security settings?tmk0k43rdkfb.jpg

Betsy is your DH sad because death is closer at 80 than in the 70s?
    Barbie :love: the pooch pic!
    Pip where are those trails? Is it some kind of bmx or bike park?
    Julie what a good friend you are. What is an IRM?

Chetco effect heat forecast, makes everyone edgy with fire danger extreme. Better sleep soon so I can get outside chores done early.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 5 weigh: 5, steps>5491=6805 vits=4.5 log=5 CI<CO=3 CI<250<CO=1 Tumble & Shadow 5=3 mfp=5 outside=3 up hill=4
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx= dance= clean 30 mins=.5
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=1 play= sew=

That park is .7mi from where we live, it’s called Woodward Park. Yes there’s are bike trails where u can go box biking
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Faye: I am also an Elvis fan. I saw him perform live at the Memorial Colosseum in Portland, MANY years ago. There was a carnival atmosphere in the building, but the music was good. :star:

Rebecca: Letter writing is a wonderful thing. :flowerforyou:

Betsy in NW WA: I am also comfortable in my own skin. DH & I are both in our 70’s. He has a number of autoimmune problems and spends most of his time at home. I’ve become the “gofor.” Go for groceries, go for medicine at the pharmacy . . . :ohwell:

Barbie: Beautiful dog! Ours is getting up there in age and has some health issues, but he is still happy & enjoying life. :smiley:

Machka: I love the windy link. Thank you!!! I’m glad you had a lovely visit you’re your DSIL. What a beautiful site!!! :star:

SuziQ: I miss my yoga classes. The exercise is healthy and enjoyable, and my fellow classmates were/are a great group. DH is afraid for me to go to yoga class because I might bring something home to him, so I’m stuck for now. :ohwell:

Barbara: “There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home . . .” Dorothy, from the Wizard of OZ. Welcome HOME!!! :bigsmile:

Kate UK: I’m so sorry about your broken wrist. I’ve done that two times in separate falls on unseen ice. The good news is that both wrists healed and don’t cause me ongoing serious discomfort. I do feel them, but it isn’t bad. I hope you heal well and quickly. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I’m happy to know you have good places to ride your bikes. What is box biking? :huh:

Forest Park in Portland features miles of trails that are used by bicycle riders, hikers, and horseback riders. With so many different users, courtesy in a must. They are very specific about picking up after your dogs & horses. The poop has to be carried away by you and disposed of outside of the park. I have hiked on some of the trails, but not extensively. The Audubon Society is just across the road, and they also have lovely trails for walkers. No dogs or horses are allowed there unless it is a service animal such as a Seeing Eye Dog. I have hiked trails within the Audubon Society grounds with my cousin, but have not hiked in Forrest Park.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,952 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Good morning all:

Sorting out things can be tough. Have all of these things from kids that they have left. Some I am able to toss. Each of the boys have some trophies/awards that are individual (recognition they earned in a sport, etc). Don't really want to toss them, but they don't want a pen and pencil set for desks, etc. After mulling over them yesterday while working on basement, I think I will removed the name plates on a few of them (most improved, senior recognition-things that have their actual name on them) and put them in a smaller frame and give them to them for Christmas. Then what they do with them after that is up to them. No idea what to do with the High School letter jackets that cost so much!

Ju
    Enjoy your Sunday all,

Ginny in Ohio

I say keep the letter jackets- I think that is something they will really want and treasure later on.

Debbie
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @auntiebk Barbara IRM oops ! sorry that's French for MRI! Sounds like you are taking good care of yourself.

@LisainAR it's true most of us can't manage overdoing it much as we get older.

@spikeyhair (((Kate))) I'm so sorry you fell. I hope it is not too serious nor painful and that you recover well and quickly.

@ginnytez Nice to "see" you!
    Can you make a box for each of the kids, and possibly keep it for them for a while?
    My sister tossed out some of my/our old drawings, poems, etc, and other stuff from childhood when my mom was ageing and being resettled and I really regretted not having them, though I had trouble finding space for everything and keeping it with me post college, early adult years.
    The letter jackets sound like cute vintage stuff. Probably have a value 2nd hand if they don't want them. If there are only a few things kind of a shame to toss them but if it's a ton I can understand the need to sort. If you have a place like attic or cellar where they won't be damaged can you just keep some?
    Safety during vacation:
    Like for Machka, we were also encouraged to travel in France this summer. Some places had discounts but no state funded travel here! too bad! that would have been a good idea. Inland places, more remote places were apparently busier than usual and beachside places did very well too apparently.
    Would you feel comfortable going away to a very safe place for a weekend? For me it was pretty much now or never. I had not been away since last October, and the fall is usually chock full of work for me, no time to get away. Who knows what the future will bring. I really need to get away. I live in a nice 2room city place with balcony and work at home quite a bit so being at home is, at present, almost like being at work. : (
    I was at a hotel room 11 nights alone or 7 nights staying with friends (over a good month) . I was able to get a COVID test before going to stay with one friend who's 65 (and as it turns out seems to very probably have prostate cancer) and in a less contaminated area. Do you feel comfortable staying with friends or family or renting a studio apartment somewhere? Lots of people have used confinement time and situation to fix up their homes, like you are doing.
    I was at friends' and the 1st is pretty confined so it seemed there was not too much risk of catching anything from him, then the 2nd couple are also reasonably confined. At the last hotel they had really good hygiene. On trip advisor or booking.com there are often comments (and questions) about whether there were special COVID measures. I really didn't choose on that basis but on overall comments and Evaluations, which includes cleanliness. This last place seemed quite up to snuff. they had a special plastified card informing Covid measures. She said they weren't cleaning the room and making the bed between the 2 nights, which seemed very reasonable to me. But she was wearing a mask and they had special measures, like asking us to open windows when we left. The garden was very spacious, so it was very easy to keep distance from everyone, (and still chat some) and we all have to wear masks (in France) when in shared inside spaces now (other than personal homes).

@Machka9 sounds great!
    Ideal travel situation, offhand: also quiet but lively little village, w accessibility to a few shops and a few restaurants and coffee shops, a beach and lovely walks, a little house with a garden big enough for a couple of lounge chairs and outside tables, travelling with one very good travel partner (ideally significant other, but I don't have one at present, so a great friend could do), having own bedroom if not with significant other, and meeting up with a few old friends or family members maybe 1 or 2 times (not too much) at homes or at simple eateries or for walks or coffees from time to time during the days (but not too much), and meeting or chatting with a few new people, just lightly to learn a little bit about local culture or information, and taking in a cultural thing or two here and there (but not too much) and some relaxing time to rest, stargaze, be lazy, admidst the meals, walks, little swims, visits. We had this swim about 400m and back in a lake - perfect for me, and another beach day at the sea which was a pretty warm 22° water. Pleasant weather: like mid-seventies for hanging out, 70 for walking and 80ish for swimming.... looking at sunsets and sunrises most days and possibly swimming at sunrise and sunset...not much rain....seeing some shooting stars at night on lawn chairs...tasty simple, fresh, healthy food without too much work, homemade simple (like salads, steamed food, grilled, easy) or eat out simple-ish.(sophisticated, skilled seasonings is ok by me).

@diamonique2 Welcome!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I think at 80 years old, it may be the fleetingness of life that may be upsetting. With an ex-boyfriend's 94-year-old dad he had me on the phone for a long time some years ago, like 45 min (and we were not close) one time asking me what I thought happened after we died, since he had already lost most of the people around his own age, his spouse, his siblings...). He said he didn't think we went up into a spaceship into the sky when we died, and I didn't and don't have a strong belief in heaven, reincarnation or another afterlife.(with all respect for those who do!).I said (following Thich NhatHahn's teachings at the time, who I often listened to at that time) that I thought all the things we did in this life continued to echo on, but he was understandably unsatisfied with that, and wanted to know what would happen to him.

My brother is not a big believer but his wife is and they agreed that it is comforting (according to studies) to believe in something, whether true or not.

I think I was slightly uneasy at 30 (or maybe 29?) and didn't like 40 nor 50 much, those first few weeks. but then I get past it and sink my teeth right into the decade, sooner or later! I think from maybe age 40 to 55 or so, I avoided telling people my age, but now I tell them pretty easily without worry, except sometimes not to young thesis student friends too much, though I don't hide it. Many, many of my colleagues are my age or older. Since my hair looks young-ish and my face is probably fairly normal or possibly slightly young (depending on who you are comparing with), people may think I'm slightly younger, so it's nice to tell them I'm older, and have been around the block a few times...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I of course went to walk and to café (noisy cause I went there at lunch time instead of early in day! not my fave!) I have not cleaned an iota yet!
    I have bought food though! yay!

ok bringing the bar down. at least 15 minutes cleaning today! (rather than 60 minimum)

Read and wrote a few work emails. I have 2 work meetings next week. one Tuesday evening, and one Friday at mystery time. that gives a good bit of time to do other pressing stuff this week.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Faye: I am also an Elvis fan. I saw him perform live at the Memorial Colosseum in Portland, MANY years ago. There was a carnival atmosphere in the building, but the music was good. :star:

Rebecca: Letter writing is a wonderful thing. :flowerforyou:

Betsy in NW WA: I am also comfortable in my own skin. DH & I are both in our 70’s. He has a number of autoimmune problems and spends most of his time at home. I’ve become the “gofor.” Go for groceries, go for medicine at the pharmacy . . . :ohwell:

Barbie: Beautiful dog! Ours is getting up there in age and has some health issues, but he is still happy & enjoying life. :smiley:

Machka: I love the windy link. Thank you!!! I’m glad you had a lovely visit you’re your DSIL. What a beautiful site!!! :star:

SuziQ: I miss my yoga classes. The exercise is healthy and enjoyable, and my fellow classmates were/are a great group. DH is afraid for me to go to yoga class because I might bring something home to him, so I’m stuck for now. :ohwell:

Barbara: “There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home . . .” Dorothy, from the Wizard of OZ. Welcome HOME!!! :bigsmile:

Kate UK: I’m so sorry about your broken wrist. I’ve done that two times in separate falls on unseen ice. The good news is that both wrists healed and don’t cause me ongoing serious discomfort. I do feel them, but it isn’t bad. I hope you heal well and quickly. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I’m happy to know you have good places to ride your bikes. What is box biking? :huh:

Forest Park in Portland features miles of trails that are used by bicycle riders, hikers, and horseback riders. With so many different users, courtesy in a must. They are very specific about picking up after your dogs & horses. The poop has to be carried away by you and disposed of outside of the park. I have hiked on some of the trails, but not extensively. The Audubon Society is just across the road, and they also have lovely trails for walkers. No dogs or horses are allowed there unless it is a service animal such as a Seeing Eye Dog. I have hiked trails within the Audubon Society grounds with my cousin, but have not hiked in Forrest Park.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Auto correct did that, I meant bmx.. we do t ride our bikes in that , we jog or walk it with yogi. When the dog trailer comes we will b riding. We are more road bikers. Never do dirt trail riding
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🙋
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    Kate,
    so sorry to hear about your fall and your broken wrist.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    M in Oz Ideal Vacation Mine would be going to the Us Virgin Islands and doing early morning beach bikini workouts with all the fit women there, however, I would sit on the beach and visit with the Iguanas when they do their yoga headstands on their paddleboards.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Kate UK - HOW AWFUL! :# Hope it heals quickly. <3

Had a nice long chat with my friend on the phone. <3

I was a bit upset with DH for his plans for meeting friend/daughters inside restaurants. He knows how I feel and has decided to be wary. He has trouble with being assertive and saying exactly what he wants. He is now resolved to set the boundaries. I hope he does. :# I hope he will only meet them outside. They have been mixing.
    I have made a lot of sacrifices to stay safe. I think he understands.

If he mixes I will separate myself.

Done a lot of language videos today. :D Love it! I can't wait for a vaccine so I can get abroad.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    KATE My goodness such a bad fall. I sure hope you heal quickly and don't fall again. Falling is so scary.
  • bananasandoranges
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon
    in france with massive increases in testing here we are having 8-9000 new cases per day, with about 20 passings per day, which makes about 0.2% rate, for those who catch it.still double the flu.

I just checked on worldometer and actually the population growth freaked me out much more! 220,000 person overall population growth on the planet daily! 80million population growth per year! 140 person increase per minute! That seems worse!

I'm not to blame with my 0 children! Maybe all those freaky lessons on world population in 4th grade curriculum did their job!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Diamonique – welcome

Ginny – I’d give the boys their jackets. Let them decide if they would like to keep them or not

Speaking of going away: I hope that Jess has Thanksgiving out in Iowa. Not sure when she’s going to be home, but I really don’t want to have to cook for Thanksgiving AND for Christmas. And I know Jess doesn’t like to go out. Not that there are that many places open, anyway. I’d just like to get away…

Went in the pool, got started making salads, etc. for dinner. I just like to have things prepared in advance.

I think I’ve pretty well decided that I won’t be going back to the Spa of Hickory where I took the extremepump class. To me, they weren’t real clean before so I have no reason to believe they will be in the future. Oh, they may be right now, but as time goes on I can see where they would get lax. Also, I was never crazy about the cleanliness (or lack of it) at the Y. I only took the deep water class there. If I dropped my watch, say, on the floor, it bothered me to have to touch the floor to pick it up. I think a lot of that is because they had so many young people there who weren’t concerned about cleanliness. There was hair on the floor, etc. So I don’t see myself returning there any time soon.

RV Rita – lovely grands

Michele NC