• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Well back from visiting Bev and June,such a lovely visit and she is a house away from Tom and Elena so of course Alfie had to go for a quick visit.. and I got to see Homers haircut..
    He looks adorable and is so much happier...
    It turned out to be nice day..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Pip – does the bike just have that one holder for a water bottle? I can’t see, there might be one on the other side.

The perfect vacation? A cruise and then stay in a Caribbean Hotel with all the amenities

Faye – Vince had some of his intestine removed quite a few years ago. He always asks if he gets a discount because they don’t have to go as far…no response.

Maria NYC
    – welcome

Yvonne
    – I’m so jealous of you having your sourdough starter. Since mine is in Ohio (thank you FedEx) Vince doesn’t think I’ll get it until Wednesday. Boo! I’m so looking forward to getting it. I’m so fed up with trying to get the starter going and not succeeding.

Mahjongg tonight!

Michele NC

Kirby thinks it has two. But funny thing is, we don’t drink water while we ride.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Pppp
  • jjlbrick
    jjlbrick Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well I had a goal for Labor Day I didn’t get there. The last couple weeks I’ve eaten more than I should exercised less. I did lose weight just slower I’ve lost 30.8 lbs I’m 2.1 lbs from where I wanted to be. When I made that goal I knew it was ambitious. I lost 6 And change lbs in August. took a weeks vacation ate out every day.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: pooches down drive in am, cleared desk paperwork, weeded another section of flowerbed
    Bonus: made coleslaw, Zoom chat with Barb, marked possible pet memorial site.
    Get to do: get outside chores before it gets hot, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, type up ABN update form and addendum, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    8: notice what you do well today, no matter how small:

Katla, aha!
    Julie your breakfast “salad” sounds yummy!
    Welcome @swan57. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale? Please don’t worry about being a downer, there are broad shoulders and wise women here.
    SuziQ Stunning orchids!
    Carol Joe’s able to manage the pain with Advil, thank goodness, and continues to be grateful for the improved vision. Keeping good thoughts for reduced pressure at Friday’s followup. Straw won’t start to work until the tied end dissolves, perhaps by six weeks :{
    Heather, moi aussi, j’ai perdu le nord. Merci mille fois.
    Rori Halelujah for Mary S and your DB’s Medicaid. ‘Boutdamtime for both. So sorry to hear foot is still hurting. Understand keeping off of it long enough for it to heal hasn’t been an option. Hoping Mary S’s presence will help.
    Welcome @joanneaggesen1 ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale? Brava for sticking to your guns and for putting the hours saved from commuting to such good purpose.
    Kim your letter jacket story made me smile 
    Faye hoping the prep is easy and the procedure goes smoothly.
    Pip that’s not far enough away. Do you and Kirby have an exit strategy/escape plan? Just today, Joe was bemoaning the fact that he hasn’t felt well enough to load the trailer and van with camping and emergency supplies in case we have to bug out. So far there are no fires nearby but we remember the Chetco Bar Fire here the year we moved in, and last years fires just to the north. Praying for rain.
    Welcome @shawtyLatina Maria from Harlem! A number of us are “shawties” with troubled knees. My knees feel better when I walk regularly, coach Ken says “motion is lotion.” There are lots of Leslie Sansome youtube videos that would work in a small apartment. Good luck!
    Yvonne I’m so with you about the post office. Just sayin’.
    Rebecca Amen to the Panda! :lol:
    Welcome @jjlbrick and congratulations on taking 30.8 lbs off. Well done! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?

Hot hot hot here today, up to 100 outside and indoors felt like an oven. Glad I got the pooches down the drive and did a little weeding before 10:30. Wind just shifted to be from the ocean and it’s nice and cool. Forecast to shift back and temps to 100 the next two days, then back to normal Thursday.

Pandemic: afraid this winter will be bad, cold weather causing a spike, raging cabin fever, SADD, changes to family traditions and get togethers. It’s going to be hard to remember to be kind and keep smiling. Would be happy to be mistaken!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 7, weigh: 7, steps>5491=3264 vits=6.5 log=7 CI<CO=5 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble & Shadow 5=5 mfp=7 outside=6 up hill=7
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=.5
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=2 play= sew=
  • pipcd34
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: pooches down drive in am, cleared desk paperwork, weeded another section of flowerbed
    Bonus: made coleslaw, Zoom chat with Barb, marked possible pet memorial site.
    Get to do: get outside chores before it gets hot, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, type up ABN update form and addendum, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: call Progressive adjuster,
    Self Care September
    8: notice what you do well today, no matter how small:

Katla, aha!
    Julie your breakfast “salad” sounds yummy!
    Welcome @swan57. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale? Please don’t worry about being a downer, there are broad shoulders and wise women here.
    SuziQ Stunning orchids!
    Carol Joe’s able to manage the pain with Advil, thank goodness, and continues to be grateful for the improved vision. Keeping good thoughts for reduced pressure at Friday’s followup. Straw won’t start to work until the tied end dissolves, perhaps by six weeks :{
    Heather, moi aussi, j’ai perdu le nord. Merci mille fois.
    Rori Halelujah for Mary S and your DB’s Medicaid. ‘Boutdamtime for both. So sorry to hear foot is still hurting. Understand keeping off of it long enough for it to heal hasn’t been an option. Hoping Mary S’s presence will help.
    Welcome @joanneaggesen1 ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale? Brava for sticking to your guns and for putting the hours saved from commuting to such good purpose.
    Kim your letter jacket story made me smile 
    Faye hoping the prep is easy and the procedure goes smoothly.
    Pip that’s not far enough away. Do you and Kirby have an exit strategy/escape plan? Just today, Joe was bemoaning the fact that he hasn’t felt well enough to load the trailer and van with camping and emergency supplies in case we have to bug out. So far there are no fires nearby but we remember the Chetco Bar Fire here the year we moved in, and last years fires just to the north. Praying for rain.
    Welcome @shawtyLatina Maria from Harlem! A number of us are “shawties” with troubled knees. My knees feel better when I walk regularly, coach Ken says “motion is lotion.” There are lots of Leslie Sansome youtube videos that would work in a small apartment. Good luck!
    Yvonne I’m so with you about the post office. Just sayin’.
    Rebecca Amen to the Panda! :lol:
    Welcome @jjlbrick and congratulations on taking 30.8 lbs off. Well done! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?

Hot hot hot here today, up to 100 outside and indoors felt like an oven. Glad I got the pooches down the drive and did a little weeding before 10:30. Wind just shifted to be from the ocean and it’s nice and cool. Forecast to shift back and temps to 100 the next two days, then back to normal Thursday.

Pandemic: afraid this winter will be bad, cold weather causing a spike, raging cabin fever, SADD, changes to family traditions and get togethers. It’s going to be hard to remember to be kind and keep smiling. Would be happy to be mistaken!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 7, weigh: 7, steps>5491=3264 vits=6.5 log=7 CI<CO=5 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble & Shadow 5=5 mfp=7 outside=6 up hill=7
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=1 dance= clean 30 mins=.5
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=
    bonus: AF=2 play= sew=

We have family I Mendoza, Kerman and Firebaugh
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I cringe at some posts on FB for spelling and grammar errors, but like you remain quiet. I don’t understand people that have to comment and embarrass the person. I am not perfect when it comes to grammar and I hate when people (usually DH) points it out. You never know how someone has struggled to learn. I have some brilliant friends that struggle terribly writing. I honestly don’t remember any of the rules for punctuation, sentence structure, etc.

I have become much more forgiving of grammatical and spelling errors in recent years.

My husband was once a journalist and had grammar and spelling down pat ... to the point of being irritating because he'd correct my grammar and spelling, or point out when I didn't use a word that described the situation quite precisely enough. Then he had his accident and one of the side effects of left temporal lobe damage is aphasia which can present in a number of different ways. In his case, he has trouble finding the right words for things, so he'll often describe something rather than call it a particular name. A mirror, for example, might be "that thing you see yourself in". He also has a lot of difficulty with grammar. His spelling isn't too bad, but sometimes I have to read his sentences a couple times to understand what he's saying because the words aren't in "order".

However, he's doing much better than he was and I'm proud of the progress he has made.

I also struggle with mild dyslexia and left to my own devices, without spell check, my spelling is atrocious! I actually do look up how to spell words even when I am posting here!

I have been extremely homesick for the country since my daughter and son in law bought their little piece of heaven. Thankfully, I am welcome anytime to go enjoy it.

This is one thing my husband and I chatted about on the weekend. We live in a suburb that has rural elements to it and I'm very thankful for that.

However, one of the things I'm finding difficult about returning to work in the office is that it is right in the middle of the city. I know this city isn't big, but still, there is traffic and people. You can't hear the birds sing ... you can barely hear yourself think! I go out for walks at lunch and have to walk quite a way to get a little bit away from the constant city noise.

I could relax when I worked at home, but there's nowhere to relax in my day in the office, and it adds to my stress.

I don’t know how dentists can be so expensive and why more isn’t covered under benefit plans. It’s insane and people need their teeth, I don’t think it’s just vanity.

I've wondered that many times especially since I've read that rotten teeth may contribute to heart damage. If that's the case, it is more than just vanity ... it is important for overall health!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/heart-disease-prevention/faq-20057986

Poor oral health has been debated as a possible cause of heart disease for many years. In 2012, experts from the American Heart Association reviewed the available scientific evidence and concluded that poor oral health hasn't been proved to cause heart disease — and that treating existing gum disease hasn't been proved to reduce the risk of heart disease. Still, studies have shown:

• Gum disease (periodontitis) is associated with an increased risk of developing heart disease.
    • Poor dental health increases the risk of a bacterial infection in the blood stream, which can affect the heart valves. Oral health may be particularly important if you have artificial heart valves.
    • Tooth loss patterns are connected to coronary artery disease.
    • There is a strong connection between diabetes and cardiovascular disease and evidence that people with diabetes benefit from periodontal treatment.

Machka - I have read some studies that suggest multitasking isn’t all it was hyped up to be in the past. I can’t do it anymore really. I find it harder to do as I age.

Yes, I find I have to plan blocks of time to do things.

One evening will be homework.
    The next will be work for my cycling club, then laundry and general tidying.
    The next evening will be homework.

I can't do 10 minutes of this and 10 minutes of that ... I can't transition very well.

And trying to do several things at once just leaves me feeling scattered!

Machka in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Faye and Pip and Tina - sending good thoughts Evacuation is tough but can be the right thing to do, even when it is just to get out of the fire fighters way.

multi-tasking - I agree and disagree with the doing several things at once is worse than a single task. I believe it depends on what the "things" are. So for example I know that I will be on a phone call with my mom a couple of times a week, and she is lonely so just wants to talk. That will be a 1-2 hour call. A call I do not really have time for; and because of her hearing challenges a call I will not have any serious discussions during. So I have a spot I put a list and a pile of things that I can do with my mom on my headset, and multi-task that way - the pile might have ironing, embroidery that needs threads trimmed, a pile that needs to be filed, the dog's brush to remind me that he could use to be brushed. So I do multi task in that way. But anything that requires a higher level of concentration is better off getting my total concentration.

Kim N. California
  • Machka9
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Faye and Pip and Tina - sending good thoughts Evacuation is tough but can be the right thing to do, even when it is just to get out of the fire fighters way.

multi-tasking - I agree and disagree with the doing several things at once is worse than a single task. I believe it depends on what the "things" are. So for example I know that I will be on a phone call with my mom a couple of times a week, and she is lonely so just wants to talk. That will be a 1-2 hour call. A call I do not really have time for; and because of her hearing challenges a call I will not have any serious discussions during. So I have a spot I put a list and a pile of things that I can do with my mom on my headset, and multi-task that way - the pile might have ironing, embroidery that needs threads trimmed, a pile that needs to be filed, the dog's brush to remind me that he could use to be brushed. So I do multi task in that way. But anything that requires a higher level of concentration is better off getting my total concentration.

Kim N. California

That's true. I will listen to uni lectures at work if what I'm doing involves a lot of repetition and waiting for code to run.

Or during my National Committee meetings for my cycling association ... often I will have a uni research paper up and I'll be formatting it nicely while listening to them go on and on. There are parts of those meetings I am interested in and will participate in, but then there are other parts I just have no interest in and the discussion often doesn't apply to a very small state like ours anyway.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Just for fun ... :)

Your preference?

hwpo25gh9mfz.png

My response:

Meat: 10 ... maybe 15 ... whatever, I probably wouldn't eat it, but I would nibble at beef jerky.
    Toast: 2
    Coffee: A

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Thanks for your posts which I read.
    I lost a post.

I ate too much yesterday relative to my goals, especially chocolate (about 55g) and crackers (about 100g rice cake-type). Bummed about that. new day.

Worked yesterday on fixing a door in one of rental apartments. I think doing it myself (2-3 hours work all in all I think including 2X travel time) I'll be able to save 300-1200 euros (professional estimates).
    When I get home I feel so tired often I just need to rest. Stressed, sometimes, at the moment I don't care much about long term goals like weight loss, and just feel a need for comfort.

Going to 2 work meetings things today in 2 schools.
    Neither is obligatory but the 1st is more politeness and networking and the 2nd is informational and one is well-advised to go, in general, but particularly in these strange times.
    Oddly, higher ed is the only area that was more or less forbidden to work from mid march until the summer and there are virtually no summer classes in higher ed in France. So, going back after 6 months.

I was very activist for several years, but I am losing my mojo in that area, at present.
    Wondering if the time is well-used. in fact we have made some concrete progress in some areas that help to make us more included and give some job security, but in other areas (equal pay) the path is more complex. Either many have to agree to a common action, like a class action; or people have to choose to act individually. From experience, the administration/direction doesn't negotiate much or at all unless highly pressured to. For example, they spent years of bimonthly meetings from 2015-2018, negotiating with a major faction of teachers (meetings with elected tenured teachers, union member, directors, and ministry) to very slightly increase the number of tenured teachers, from 2019-2023, and, in fact, they simply didn't even respect the negotiations. I saw a minutes meeting from the ministry with a group of high level elected teachers and the ministry just says, for each issue, "we commit to looking into that."

I have mixed feelings about going back to work places today. on one hand I like to see my colleagues and it's been isolating to be alone. on the other hand, it can be stressful in general, I feel a bit in another experience, after 6 months away, we will all be wearing masks in school and then very probably going out to have a drink afterwards no mask, in a big group...partially made of 2 or 3 semi-clans, that mix a bit, but not a ton.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We heard about wind & wildfire on an Indian Reservation in the central part of the state on the evening news. The wind started here after we heard the news story about the wildfire over 100 miles North & west from here & it is now howling here. I moved the bbq next to the side of the house & noticed its cover was missing. I found it lying on the ground on top of some plants. I snatched it up and brought it in the house. It is 10:30 now & howling outside. Yikes!

Katla-listening to howling winds
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Machka9
    meat: 2 or 3,
    Toast: 3 or 4
    coffee: I'm with you on A 98% of time (very occasionally I add more or less milk).

hugs and thoughts to everyone dealing with smoke and fires.

multitasking I agree with what is written.
    It seems to me we can only think well of one thing at a time.
    so it's possible to have a conversation, for example, and do a rather automatic physical thing, like walking, washing dishes, dusting, making bed, etc.
    I used to go to plum village and there, the monks would often not walk and talk at the same time. I was walking with a very senior nun and if I spoke she would stop walking, to focus on talking.
    Another senior monk told about how Thich Nhat Hahn would put a file away before starting a conversation about something else. They weren't into multi-tasking at all. My sister said she had her best meal there in ages because for the 1st 20 minutes of the meal there was no talking, just eating and appreciating food.
    Not to say we shouldn't talk at mealtime...

I was also able to check in to hotel while in a google meeting while a very very long-winded participant was speaking for maybe half an hour.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Maria - Welcome! I visited NYC for my 65th birthday. We adored it. I imagine apt living and covid might be too much! I'm sorry about your knees, as NYC is such a great place for walking. :(
    I'm very much a city lover. Now I live in a city by the sea in the south of England. Brighton and Hove. I live in the Hove part which is quieter. We haven't been able to enjoy the city facilities because of covid, as we are also being very careful, but we love to walk to the sea. One of the things I loved about NYC was the proximity of the water. I love a city on water.

I hope you can find some suitable exercises with a bit of research. There is every possible variation on YouTube. <3

Welcome to the other new ladies! A name and a location helps our brains. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx