WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Replies

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    Barbara--Sending prayers and good wishes for Joe's surgery. The straw in the eye does sound painful. Glad he is sharing his feelings with you.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Kayla getting there. Still finishing some aspects of son's estate.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 24min 54sec- 3.7ap, 133mhr, 5.25mi= 734c
    Apple Watch- 513c
    Walk to kohl’s w/family- 1hr 52min 31sec, 102mhr, 3.2ap, 6.02mi= 711c
    Apple Watch- 548c

Total cal 1445
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,332 Member
    Okie – thank you, thank you, thank you. I’ve sent them an email asking what the ingredients are. If it is just flour and water, if the starter that I’m doing right now doesn’t work out, I’m definitely going to order it. Thank you

We asked people if they are interested in Newcomer bowling. So far one couple would go, quite a few won't, and one person wants to "wait and see" what the governor says. Looks like we won't be having Newcomer bowling.

Michele NC
    who is looking for another medicare provider, not an Advantage plan, but that includes Silver Sneakers.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Michele: I contacted Bob’s and discovered that Bob's is not involved with sourdough starter at all. I’m embarrassed that I didn’t know it. King Arthur sells crocks but not starter. Private message me so that we can figure out whether we can get starter sent & arrive alive. I don't want to compromise either your privacy or mine.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,040 Member
    edited September 2020
    Lisa AR:
    I have 3 different strengths of non loop resistance bands. Which I can make into loops if I need to. I find them very useful as an alternative to my dumbbells, as I can loop them round my waist when not using them if I'm doing a HIIT workout.

Stroppy Teenagers: I was using the phrase tongue-in-cheek. 😂 We use it to describe that phase when our lovely kids morph into that awkward uncooperative stranger from hell!!! 😈👹👺

What does stroppy mean in British slang?
    strop·py. adjective. The definition of stroppy is a British slang term used to describe someone who is hard to deal with, or who is easily offended. An example of someone who would be described as stroppy is a rowdy soccer fan who can't be controlled and who is yelling and shouting and being somewhat rude.
    https://www.yourdictionary.com › st...
    (Stroppy dictionary definition | stroppy defined - YourDictionary)

Going to organise my grocery shopping for tomorrow morning then off to bed.

céad míle fáilte to any new members. We are an eclectic group of supportive friends. Don't stand on ceremony, jump,in when the spirit moves you.

(((Hugs))) to anyone in extremis. 💕💖💕

Pax vobiscum 🕊 To all. May peace and plenty be the first to lift the latch on your door.

☘️ Terri

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,040 Member
    edited September 2020
    😲
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

It’s hard to believe it’s September. I am sure most of us will be happy to put 2020 in our rearview mirror. When I sit back and think about all of the changes I have had to adjust to this year, I think wow. I can change and adapt while life throws me lemons! We should all be proud of ourselves of being able to adapt and make adaptations to our lives.

Karen – 100 years ago during my short time as a waitress we used to sprinkle a little salt when brewing the coffee to make it taste better than the awful coffee the owner would purchase. Salt would remove the bitterness and also allow for pots to sit a little longer on the burner. For my everyday coffee I have a plug-in percolator. I use the French Press on the weekend and also make my own cold brew coffee. I am certainly a coffee snob and drink single-sourced beans. I do enjoy coffees from around the world.

Tina – I am glad you got a mountain retreat in. Sounds like a lovely weekend.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL

We roast our own coffee beans and nothing beats it. They are not bitter or acidic at all. However, drinking such good coffee most days ruins it when I get coffee from somewhere else, so I will remember the salt trick. Usually, I just add more milk and some sugar or sugary product to make it drinkable. I had heard of the salt before, but just forgot about it.

It was a lovely weekend in the mountains. I am currently looking at other getaways in California since we can't travel far right now. The positive side is that we are seeing parts of the state and area we would never think to visit before because we'd just hop on a plane and go "far."

I did my first weigh in after the trip and shockingly, I didn't gain weight. I also still don't have any pain from the hiking, which is also a big improvement.

So many of you are struggling right now. My heart goes out to you.

Debbie and Kim, how are the fires up your way? I have been watching Cal Fire's website and it looks like they are making progress on containment. When we hiked over the weekend, we saw a fire to the south. Turns out it was in Mexico and they put it out quickly.

Tina in CA

• sh0tzz99
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Barbara - just saw the info about Joe. Sure hope everything comes out right!

Elliptical - 79 minutes/491 cals

Just a quick question - has anyone ever used resistance bands, either loop or cable-type?

They would probably look something like these:
    jzo0j2bgkc1g.png

I had one loop-type when I was in PT after the knee replacement, but it's disappeared... I don't have the space to put them or the cash to buy a decent weight set, but these might do the trick. And you can work out your legs as well.

Thanks for any info you've got...

Lisa in AR

I have both types of these. I use the cable type with a door stopper for back and some core exercises. I use the others for hip/knee health and sometimes bicep curls. There are many ways to use those. I also have adjustable dumbbells (from 5-25 pounds each) that take up almost no space and are worth the cost.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    Lisa - also on the cable bands, just get one size. You can either step back to create more resistance or wrap them around your hands to shorten them. You don't need 5 different ones. I have 20 lb and that is adequate.

Tina in CA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Tina- Where do you buy your green coffee beans? Is there a particular bean you prefer? Do you use a cast iron skillet? How do you store the green and the roasted beans? Inquiring minds... :)

Karen in Virginia
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,441 Member
    Thanks for the new thread Barbie! Its always a good positive reset, every month.💖
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Terri I had no idea of what it meant and the dictionary definition I found was ....bad-tempered · ill-tempered · irritable · grumpy · cantankerous · truculent · sulky · sullen · awkward · uncooperative · unhelpful · recalcitrant · refractory · difficult · perverse · contrary · confrontational · argumentative · quarrelsome · obstreperous

The idea of my 70's making me a teen again is making more sense now. I like how one word can have so many definitions. Stroppy ... I think I like it but may have to issue a legal disclaimer on my birthday.

Thanks for the new word to add to my arsenal.

Faye
    q9izdr1f2qae.png
  • sh0tzz99
    Tina- Where do you buy your green coffee beans? Is there a particular bean you prefer? Do you use a cast iron skillet? How do you store the green and the roasted beans? Inquiring minds... :)

Karen in Virginia

We order them from Sweet Marias. I think it's in the San Francisco bay area. I use an "air popper" popcorn popper like thing when I roast because it's simple (called Fresh Roast). When the mister roasts, he has a 1/2 pound drum roaster (Hot Top). It requires more attention, but the one I use only roast a tiny amount at a time. I just don't have to pay much attention to it, which is key for me.

You can use an air popper popcorn maker, just know that the beans will make it really oily so it's limited to that and you won't be able to use it for popcorn anymore. Also, this must be done outside or the house will smell "greasy" for days.

I like central and south American beans. Mexican beans are good too. I also like Ethiopia, but none of the others. They taste to "earthy" for me. We have tried the "specialty" beans like the Civet Cat poop or the bird poop beans and they aren't worth the money, in my opinion. I stick to the standby's. Some specialty coffee shops sell green beans too. Can't hurt to ask in your area.

Tina in CA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Debbie and Kim, how are the fires up your way? I have been watching Cal Fire's website and it looks like they are making progress on containment. When we hiked over the weekend, we saw a fire to the south. Turns out it was in Mexico and they put it out quickly.

Tina in CA

The fires are more contained then last week but the smoke is still bad(but not as terrible as it was. I am looking forward to waking up without a sore throat/coughing-(asthma). Need to remember to email my dr and get a new script for an inhaler,

https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2020/8/17/lnu-lightning-complex-includes-hennessey-gamble-15-10-spanish-markley-13-4-11-16-walbridge/

Debbie
    Napa Valley
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,507 Member
    Ppp
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,332 Member
    Katla – okie gave me a link for King Arthur’s sourdough starter. In looking at the ingredients it says that it’s made from unbleached flour and water, which is what I’m looking for. If this starter that I’m doing right now doesn’t take off (I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong), I’m going to order it. Whatever I’m doing wrong, hopefully, this will take care of it. Maybe my house is too clean and I don’t have enough yeast in the air??? Yea, keep dreaming. Wow! Once you receive the starter, it says that you can bake in 24 hours.

Talked to Denise a little while ago. Pete went to the MD today. He’s still working. We suspect, knowing him, that he’s downplaying this to the MD. He not only has a prolapsed rectum, he also has external hemorrhoids (which we knew) and an anal fissure. He’s concerned that he’ll have to have a colonoscopy. See, his father had one and probably seeing it just has him hoping that he won’t need one. I honestly don’t think so, but I also know that you can’t help your feelings. He told Denise that he’s in constant pain. He said he’s still bleeding. The MD prescribed an antibiotic cream that he’s to put on for something like 10 days. The fact that he’s still bleeding to me isn’t a good sign at all, that’s another reason we think he’s downplaying this to the MD. Denise said that in DE she can’t go to the MD with him. Wish she had teleconferenced when Pete had the appointment.

So it looks like we won’t be going up there this weekend. One part of me, the selfish part, is very sad, it’ll be over a year since we’ve seen PJ, and I don’t know when we’ll see him again…maybe it won’t be until May. Vince said that maybe we could go up there in a few weeks, but if Pete is still feeling bad I bet we can’t. My heart is breaking but there’s nothing I can do. I do logically understand Pete’s feeling. No one told me being a mother can be so hard…..

Well, our governor put us on phase 2.5. Gatherings are increased to 25. Really, not much that affects us. The bowling alleys are open. When we were there yesterday, there is no way there were only 25 people there. Of all the bowlers, I only saw one with a mask on while she was bowling. So I really think people are just going to use caution but for the most part aren’t letting this rule their lives. Gyms are allowed to be open at 30% of capacity. Really, 2 of the 3 gyms I’ve gone to have been open for a while now and I don’t know of them monitoring capacity. Like I said, people are just using common sense (or at least most people)

Going to do some more crocheting. I have two towels I want to finish then I have to put the buttons on about 10. Then that will be finished.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,818 Member
    What's happening to your brain under lockdown?
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-09-02/your-brain-under-lockdown/12611994

""We've known for over 100 years that as soon as you become stressed, anxious, depressed, undergo any kind of trauma, your cognition becomes impaired," says cognitive neuropsychologist Susan Rossell of Swinburne University ... When we're under prolonged stress and anxiety we basically go into a very rudimentary state of cognitive ability, Professor Rossell says."

""The best evidence says that the longer we're stressed, the longer we'll take to recover," Dr Landowski says.

"We will bounce back to normal if we do all these good things like exercise and so forth [but] expect it to take weeks to months.""

So ...

Since I've been under a high level of stress and anxiety for 2.5 years now ... what is my cognitive ability like and what might I have been able to accomplish in uni if I weren't under stress and anxiety?

Also, when uni finishes, some of my stress and anxiety will be relieved, but I actually cannot imagine relaxing.

I do "relaxing", stress-reducing things every day ... I have relaxing wallpaper on my computer, I go for walks, I have a quiet time before bed with music, low lights and a non-caf tea. I read a novel before bed on weekends and make a point of sleeping in. I cycle when I can. My diet is reasonably good. I get out in the sunshine when I can.

But I don't relax.

And that's one of the reasons why I have dental issues ... I can't even relax at night when I'm sleeping!

I am hoping that, when uni finishes, I will be able to relax at times ... but I've been at such a high level of stress and anxiety for so long, I'm not even sure how.

Machka in Oz