WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Faye: We 70 year olds are the stroppy teenagers 🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣

Haha! Yes, one of the old guys 87 I see on some of my walks is such a hoot! Always accusing me of teasing him with my walking outfits. He said he would ask me out to dinner if it wasn't illegal. I reminded him those COVID restrictions were lifted. He says nothing doing with COVID it was because I am a teenager and he was too old for jail. I will let him know today that I just found out, I am a stroppy teenager so asking me out to dinner isn't illegal. >:)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    Options
    Della I am sorry about your best friend.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Lisa - You can buy the dumbbells in pairs. Not expensive. I only ever use 9 kgs with 2 kgs ones for side arm raises. Mine are in the bedroom cupboard on a small shelf. I did have some lighter ones, but soon outgrew them. You could start with 7 kgs.
    The bands are OK, but I only use them on the cruises. Only the most resistant one is any use. I threw the rest away. Not really a good substitute. I do weights every day. It takes less than 10 minutes, but I love the definition it gives my arms.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Lisa - I have found most of my weights either via yard sales or via a discounter such as Marshall's or TJ Max. Like Heather I found I do not need a full set - especially because I want to build muscle but not become a body builder. :smiley:
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    LIsa - I agree with your husband. I never had a weight issue until I started working in an office. They say sitting is as unhealthy as smoking. It's hard to get work done when you're not at your desk though. Years ago I had a bought a Wii system for exercise. One of the games used resistance bands and I really liked them. I have been thinking of getting some again.

Machka - Our local grocery store is handing out these calendars now. I think it's a great addition to the shopping bags.

Allie - I hope you find another job soon, and one that you are treated with respect.

Suzie - I waitressed for quite a few years when I was young, I had forgotten about the salt in the grinds. We did that too to help cut the bitter out. The guys at the "liars table" that sometimes were impatient and would make their own pot would add the salt as well. These were regular guys, farmers, truckers and retirees that sat at a big table in the corner and shared stories. I worked at three different restaurants and each one had the table in the corner with a different group of liars. Great memories, poor tippers though. :)

I don't have much to say since last night, but wanted to pop and say Hi.

Have a great day everyone,
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Faye: We 70 year olds are the stroppy teenagers 🤪🤣🤣🤣🤣

Haha! Yes, one of the old guys 87 I see on some of my walks is such a hoot! Always accusing me of teasing him with my walking outfits. He said he would ask me out to dinner if it wasn't illegal. I reminded him those COVID restrictions were lifted. He says nothing doing with COVID it was because I am a teenager and he was too old for jail. I will let him know today that I just found out, I am a stroppy teenager so asking me out to dinner isn't illegal. >:)

Terri
    I just returned from my quick walk by the 87-year-olds house. He was sitting on his porch drinking coffee and reading a magazine. I said, "Good Morning Alonzo, (he hates me calling him Alonzo) I just received a message this morning from a lady in my group that in a couple of months I will be a STROPPY TEENAGER as I turn 70, so you can take me to dinner legally." "Great," he says, "I will take you McDonald's for a Happy Meal." "What," I snap! "What gave you the idea I was a cheap date." "Never said you were a cheap date, just that I must treat you to a Happy Meal. Go home and look up the word stroppy."

Well, here I sit with egg on my face. I thought stroppy meant mature, wise, strong, and sexy. Now I understand the Happy Meal comment. Stroppy must be one of those UK words of which I am poorly versed.

Faye
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    quote="dellafayefox;c-45301841"]Katla My preference is Faye but Della is fine. My mother always called me Della Faye. I noticed you have me as Delia. I keep hearing Tom Jones singing Delia. No problem as I know who you are addressing, but Faye is what most call me. Thanks for the ice cream name. Is it the same as Two Birds ice cream? I searched it and it isn't available outside of PDX. [/quote]

I had an aunt whose name was Freda Fay and she always went by Fay- Miss her and all the other aunts and uncles- Dad is one of 10 and now there are just one sister( Lennabell who goes by Lynn) and my dad.
    Debbie
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    lol that dog mask meme

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I just love the dog and the proper way to wear a mask. It's a softer way of showing people how to wear. :smile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Barbara - it was on BBC 1, so it may appear on yours eventually, but not straight away. The first woman had a vagus nerve injury from operations :o and the guy had sarcoidosis (sp?) . They both had been struggling for years with no diagnosis. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,951 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011 wrote: »
    Thanks, Barbie - I am not new to mfp, but am new to this Thread. I can jump in here and follow along with some women my age. Yay!

I am starting my own “challenge” today, Sept 1st, to drop fifteen lbs by end of December, 2020.

Teens leave this week for University....we drop teenage son at his new-to-him apartment today (most of his classes are online but his labs are in-person) and we drop teenage daughter at the first-year dorms on Sept 5 (all her classes are online).

No more excuses! I can focus on my work and I can focus on lowering my calories to dump the body-fat. BOOM!

Laura from Toronto

I like your challenge- I need to try that too. 15lbs lost would take me to my goal(that I wanted for myself by two weeks ago- didn't happen). Hit a plateau months ago and haven't lost since. My problem isn't calories- I am keeping them too low (so the plateau), trying to eat more but never seem to- my issue is lack of motivation for exercising anymore- Need to find that motivation, well, different motivation than I had- they are no longer rellevent (sp??)

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: I hope you have the best possible luck finding a new job. :star:

Margaret: I hope you will be able to take time to write &/or paint. Creative expression seems to be an important part of who you are. :heart:

Mary: I hope you are able to get a new bridge. My mom had one and it was vital. Both of my parents wore dentures from before my birth. Dad had experimental braces early on and the dentist tightened them too fast :star:

SuziQ: My thinking about changes during this Covid pandemic is mostly about staying well and out of harm’s way. So far, so good. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I need to get back to exercise, too. For the last long while, I’ve been the designated shopper. It does burn some calories, but also adds stress. Healthy exercise builds strength & flexibility. It reduces my stress. Walking, horseback riding, bike riding & gardening are all stress reducers for me. :heart::

Lisa: DH had huge rubber bands in different levels of stretchy while he was in PT. They were somewhat helpful, but not enough that he still uses them. I don’t remember how much they cost. :star:

Terri: We’ve been called Boomers, or Baby Boomers for ages. What is “stroppy?” :huh:

Lynne From NH: Welcome! :star:

Barbara: I love the doggy mask models. They do a great job demonstrating right from wrong. I see way too many people at the grocery stores whose masks do not cover their noses. So far, I haven’t seen anyone wear their mask as a blindfold. :laugh:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🙋💜
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Did a Peak Fit Challenge DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD for the bosu

Yvonne – I’m so sorry that happened to your car. Isn’t it frustrating? How can people do that?

Katla – if you find the packet starter on BRM site, please let me know. I had a hard time finding it. You know something? If this starter doesn’t work out, I think I’ll give them a call

Barbara
    – what can I say? I’d never want to go thru what Joe is going to go thru. Hurts just to even think about it. Good thoughts being sent for him. He has a wonderful attitude, tho

Worked today. One lady who is evidentially head of the cashiers thinks I don’t know what certain vegetables – like the difference between a roma tomato and a hothouse. But I just don’t say anything. I know that she’s trying to be helpful (at least I think so). I just don’t say anything mainly because I know that I don’t know everything and one time I may have to ask her something.

Laura from Toronto and Lynne from IN–
    welcome!

Mary
    – I sure hope the insurance approves the bridge

Lisa I have use the loop bands and the handle bands, never the cable ones, tho. I do have to say that I get a good workout with the loop bands. Actually, you can also use them for upper body too. One thing you can do is put both hands into the loop and stretch the band open. I do like them. You’re right, for a good workout they take little space. I’ve also taken them on trips with me so I can exercise in the hotel room, etc. The handle bands look like this: https://smile.amazon.com/SPRI-Xertube-Resistance-Exercise-Medium/dp/B00067E4P4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1TEDJFODEC6SP&dchild=1&keywords Put your hands in them, one hand by your shoulder and the other at your side. You can do a bicep curl (loop or handle).

Michele NC
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Michelle - link for sourdough starter at King Arthur Baking if you are interested......remove the spaces before and after kingarthurbaking for the link to work.

https://shop. kingarthurbaking .com/items/classic-fresh-sourdough-starter-1-oz

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options
    Met 77% of my 20 for 20 goals in August. Much better than last month! Gotta take time to read more!
    20 GOALS for 2020

Word of the year: JOURNEY

January met 71.74%
    February met 96%
    March met 84%
    April met 71%
    May met 80%
    June met 77%
    July met 60%
    August met 77%
    September
    October
    November
    December

update webpage monthly by the 25th of month 7/12
    Create a monthly diary summary to include with Christmas cards for 2020 by last day of month 9/12
    Call Donat once a month on 1st of month 7/12
    Call mom once a week 3/4
    Get finances under control by focusing on paying off smallest debt and not adding to others 8/12
    Average 8,000 steps a day over next year. (Last year was 6,680 steps)4585
    Maintain my low carb eating habits 7/12
    Lose another 10 pounds by April 0/10 Gained 10
    Visit family in the spring of 2020-/“ CoVid-19 prevents this
    Clean camper weekly 4/4
    Read book once a day for at least 10 minutes 7/31
    Read bible by reading it 10- 15 min a day 4/31
    Keep carbs below 50 grams on average weekly 4/4
    Meet my macros of 5% carbs, 75% fats and, 20% protein of total calories weekly: 4/4
    Update budget spreadsheet at minimum every 2 weeks 3/2
    Set up Kevin’s health tracker for insurance by end of first week of 2020 Done in JANUARY
    Check health trackers on insurance website every 2 weeks beginning January 5,2020 1/2
    Replace air conditioning on camper by June 2029
    Replace front door rug by May 2020 ordered
    Clean car once a month, inside and out. 8/12

Also, one of my goals was to visit family this last spring. I’ve been marking as 0 because of CoVid. That 0 is not my fault. Not sure how to count that.

RvRita
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is World Letter Writing Day!

From the founder, Richard Simpkin: "I became interested in letters in the late 1990's when I started a project called Australian Legends. I wanted to meet, photograph & if I could, interview those whom I considered to be an Australian legend. I was always excited when I went to the letterbox & there was a letter addressed to me from one of the legends. ... In 2005 my book: Australian Legends was released. I had met, photographed & interviewed 80 legends, & it all started with me simply writing a letter to them. ... We communicate everyday using everything from emails, [texts] & social media. All we're saying is just for a moment, have a think about who you would like to write a letter to, pick up a pen & start writing, send a letter to someone today that you love, once loved or never loved at all!"

Barbie - Once again, thank you for keeping us all moving forward!

Pip - Luna says thank you for the recipe! Now I think she would like for me to knock off work and make some for her.

Machka - Thank you for the reminder about the self-care calendar. "You can't pour from an empty cup" is an excellent affirmation.

Pretty sure I get this same look on my face when I open the door to go outside:
    vbz4dp4ff33s.jpg

-Yvonne in TX
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Barbara - just saw the info about Joe. Sure hope everything comes out right!

Elliptical - 79 minutes/491 cals

Just a quick question - has anyone ever used resistance bands, either loop or cable-type?

They would probably look something like these:
    jzo0j2bgkc1g.png

I had one loop-type when I was in PT after the knee replacement, but it's disappeared... I don't have the space to put them or the cash to buy a decent weight set, but these might do the trick. And you can work out your legs as well.

Thanks for any info you've got...

Lisa in AR

Lisa,

I have both of these. I prefer the cable bands, but either would give you a good workout.