WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Kim- I love the pic of your goodies from the garden! It reminds me of "market" pics. You know, like the wonderful street markets where food is laid out to tempt your eyes and tastebuds into buying things...
    Tracey- Bad bosses are the WORST! So glad your good boss was there for you! Both in dream world and rl.
    Faye- So sorry to hear of your friend. Facebook seems to be the easiest way to convey news to large groups of people. It seems very impersonal to me. My hubby and kids have instructions that, if and when I pass, they need to call friends and family before posting on fb.
    Lisa- Sorry to hear about your bowel/digestive issues! I really hope you can get some answers soon. When I am uncomfortable, I am not the most pleasant person to be around.
    Barbara- popcorn and red wine! One of my favorite pairings!
    SuzyQ- Did I miss something? Are you getting into waitressing/restaurant work? That is what I did before childcare. I really enjoyed the fast pace and constant movement of waiting tables. The cameraderie of the other staff members was a plus as well. I am sure the constant movement (plus being young) kept the weight off.

Kids arriving shortly. Going to be a busy day with eleven here! After kids get picked up tomorrow, I have a three day weekend and then school begins for a couple of my kiddos. Slightly easier week next week! Shorter too! Can't beat that! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Smart BMI Calculator: takes account of sex, age, height, and build.

https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

Thank you for this link. This site was very helpful. Like Beth, I am only overweight on this chart. Yay! When I put in my target weight, the site told me that was "very ambitious" and suggested that I start with losing 11 pounds and maintain that for a while. They also cautioned me not to cut calories too much. None of that was news to me, but reassuring to have it affirmed.
    I have been binge watching 'Yellowstone '. Its on par with 'Longmeire'. I am in season 2 and emotionally invested.👍
    💖Rebecca

I loved, loved, loved Longmire. I binge watched every season in a very short period of time. We only have season 3 of Yellowstone included in our DISH subscription so I taped that but haven't watched it, because I want to watch in order if I do. I bought episode 1 of season 1 from Amazon. I have tried to watch it twice and fell asleep both times. I'm not sure it is for me.

I was binge watching Scandal on Netflix when all of a sudden, midway through the last season, I lost interest. I quit watching for a while then decided I wanted to finish what I started. Lo and behold, it is gone!

Another program I lost interest in was This is Us, but my daughter swears I need to get back to it. I'm stuck on the Vietnam episode. I've fallen asleep in the middle of it three times now, the first when it was current. I do have those on my DVR.

I tend to do that - love a show then lose interest, especially when a story line just keeps coming back and the cycle just keeps repeating. It happened with Nashville. I finally went back and watched the rest of that series.

Barbie and Kim, the vegetables in your pics look amazing!

Lisa, your advice to Beth is appropriate for many of us. Thanks for the reminder.

• Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Boob rash-I never had heat rash on/under my boobs before last year.Through trial and error have discovered-I treat it when I get home with witch hazel,let air dry.I couldn’t get bra liners delivered soon enough so I used the cut off sleeves from hubbys t shirts and placed in my bra for work.Also medicated gold bond powder works Wonderfully for me.
    Debby in Va
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    qb48rhnhthan.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Had a good nights sleep .boy i needed it....amazing what a good night sleep does for you..
    Today im up with Faith and will drop Homer off at Toms when i get out..
    Then have 6 glorious days off..lots of work to do at the house but that's ok with me..
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Boob rash-I never had heat rash on/under my boobs before last year.Through trial and error have discovered-I treat it when I get home with witch hazel,let air dry.I couldn’t get bra liners delivered soon enough so I used the cut off sleeves from hubbys t shirts and placed in my bra for work.Also medicated gold bond powder works Wonderfully for me.
    Debby in Va

Yes, I had that just this year for the first time. I got it cleared up with antifungal and antibiotic cream and then used Witchhazel to clean the area. I bought cheap cotton no seam tank tops 2 sizes too small and then cut them to make bands for under boob skin to skin contact. Witch Hazel and Gold Bond are top weapons in my arsenal. This current rash was between the boobs from chemical damage.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,101 Member
    Options
    Faye: I did wonder what inspired the poem yesterday. I have an allergy to most perfumes, so I never spray them in my skin. I use diluted essential oils like geranium in an light almond carrier oil. I use coco butter oil for rashes. (Another light oil)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Iiiii
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did Cathe Muscle Max DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to just walk on the treadmill.

Starter update: This is day 7 of this new recipe and absolutely no activity. I’ve tried everything, I use bread flour, bottled water, put it in the pantry on the top shelf, on the top of the refrigerator (outside), in the oven on proof—I’m not even getting the hooch. So I think I’ll go to King Arthur later today. Watch as soon as I do, I’ll start getting activity. Well, if I do, then that’ll be just that much more starter that I have. I’m just getting so frustrated. I wouldn’t if at least I saw SOME activity, but I’m seeing absolutely none

Kholl – do you know of any way to keep a cat from peeing where he shouldn’t?

Tracey
    – Vince was just commenting the other day that in the past the grass didn’t need to be cut as often by now, maybe every few weeks. But not this year! Not with all the rain

Going to go to Aldi.

Barbara
    – how do you determine the bpm of the songs? Do you have a site that you go to that lists it? If so, what is the site?

Faye
    – I’m so sorry about your friend

Did go to Aldi and got two boxes of tissues (the sign says limit 1 but I figured as long as it wasn’t a ridiculous amount – like 10 – they’d let me go.) I only came home with one box. Guess they do watch the limits. Well, it’s not like we REALLY needed two boxes, I just wanted to see what would happen.

KJ – I wonder why stores seem to have discontinued free samples? If you put it in a baggie or cup, a person only takes one cup. Guess you’d need a cup with a lid, but if you put a cookie in a baggie? I would have loved to try these beans today, but I couldn’t

According to the calculator, I’m “somewhat normal” (they REALLY don’t know me, huh?) The one thing I was disappointed in with this site is that it seems to be an ad for Noom

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    Faye: Hit the post button by mistake.

Sorry about your friend. (((Hugs)))
  • TerriRichardson112
    Options
    Michele: A lot of sites have adverts. It doesn’t bother me, as I just scroll past them.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim: I hope your mom’s surgery goes ell and she has an easy recovery. Your produce is gorgeous! :star:

Barbara & Rebecca: Our days are getting shorter but our weather is warm and dry. The river is kept deep enough for shipping in the main channel by the dam system. I have seen it dryer than this once, several years ago. :ohwell:

Faye: I’m sorry about your rash; it sounds miserable. I hope you’re feeling better soon. :star:

Allie: Congrats on a goodnight’s sleep!!! :flowerforyou:

It is a pretty day outside. I hope to enjoy it. :bigsmile:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    I wonder why stores seem to have discontinued free samples? If you put it in a baggie or cup, a person only takes one cup. Guess you’d need a cup with a lid, but if you put a cookie in a baggie? I would have loved to try these beans today, but I couldn’t

Michele NC

I can't remember the last time I saw a grocery store offering free samples. Years! I don't think I've ever seen it done here in Australia and only rarely in Canada.

I sort of vaguely remember that it seemed a bit more common in my late teens/early 20s.

Some of the specialty fudge and chocolate shops here will offer tiny free samples, especially if they are trying a new recipe. :)

M in Oz

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Barbara - When is Joe's procedure? Thinking of him.

Lisa - My Best friend and I text more than we talk. The time difference (3 hours) between us is hard to deal with at times. She still has a teen at home so we don't get the opportunity to talk a lot, but when we do it's incredible.
    You are so right in how we talk to ourselves and beat ourselves up, we are our own worst enemy.

Katie - You and I received the same results from the smart bmi calculator, except mine told me to aim for 12 not 11 pounds.
    I watched Scandal, and struggled some with the last season as well. I love This is Us, your daughter is correct, get past that episode and it gets better again. I have been enjoying A Million Little Things more than This is Us though. Nashville I watched and enjoyed until Connie Britton left. I think one of my all time favourite series is Parenthood with Craig T Nelson. I think it is on Amazon now. I never missed an episode of that series and am seriously thinking of re-watching it.

Grandson's school sent a note out late in the evening 10 pm or so and said that online classes will not start until Tuesday. Apparently teachers only received their class list at noon yesterday and were supposed to start today. "Shaking my head"

I should get to work.
    Tracey in Edmonton

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Smart BMI Calculator: takes account of sex, age, height, and build.

https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

thank you!

Thank you from me too! I did mine and am the correct weight for me using this method. Using the old method, I’m abou 5 pounds overweight. BTW, I’m 64 and lost 60 pounds a year ago. I have maintained except for a 6 pound gain over the last year. Still want to get rid of 10-15 pounds to give me room to splurge!! LOL

RvRita
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    My Today is... app has only that today is skyscraper day Worldwide. Well in New Mexico most buildings are no more than 6 stories high. It was the same when I lived in Cookeville TN too. So no skyscrapers to test out elevators! Lol

I like the coconut day better. I use coconut oil every day. I’ve tried making macaroons too but never can get them right!

RV Rita
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    👋
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Faye so sorry about your friend. Trying to contact people about a death is hard. I tried to have others pass on news if they could about our son.

I have missed notices on friends and family because I was out of the loop. I do not read obits either. I would rather see it on FB than miss our if someone I know dies.

It was very wearing to those I did talk to about son's death. I finally had to put out an e-mail telling those I couldn't contact personally and said I was not talking calls because I was overwhelmed. I am still not seeing friends yet. It is getting better with what still needs to be done, but I am just not ready.

My brother did finally get the message. His response was they were just trying to make it easier for me so they wanted to keep their visit short. The way it was handled just added more stress for me. If they had called and said when are you ready for a visit and not just say this is a convenient time for us we really want to support you and find out how you are doing on my schedule it would have been better received.

The lesson learned for me is when approaching someone in grief is find out when visits are best for them and go by their schedule not mine.

:heart: Margaret