WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    N
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,936 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Here is a picture of their hot box inside of the green house. They have the main green house(the hot box is in the middle of it) that is fully enclosed but not insulated at all, then an addition that is partially enclosed then a large one that is the shade room to give the plants some protection but getting them ready to plant.
    glz2ddqp1e7c.png
    ld75brdm2x9c.png
    1yxlm2fyt0wn.png
    This last picture is about half of the front garden- It is amazing what my parents are still doing-they still plant about an acre of garden- they are 83 and 77. Dad is slowing down but mom has more energy/push than I do and I am 19yrs younger than her
    g75ad4b7tcim.png

I plan on being up there a lot more to help out more this coming spring/summer
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Debbie - WOW!! What do your folks do with all of that produce? Gardening keeps them fit and from what I read, keeps brains sharp. There are a lot of complex tasks and planning that go into growing our own stuff.

We keep our whole greenhouse covered with the green shadecloth all year around. Even so, it can still zoom up to 110 degrees when the sun is shining. Most of the plants love it if they have plenty of water. :)

Karen - your parrafin heater sounds perfect!

Lanette B)
    Chilly, breezy, perfect SW WA State

originally, the garden was to feed the family(back when my sisters and I were still at home) that included grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins/church family. Then they sold at Farmer's Market for 25yrs but the costs were going up and up so that there were weeks where they did all that work and ended up loosing money. Then they sold to the local restaurants , up to 8 a few years, they cut back to three then Covid hit and now none of them are buying. They sell a little at the place and mom cans/freezes a lot. They have been giving a lot away. Sadly, some has just gone to waste- and no real income coming in for them. They have been having the big garden for almost 50 yrs there(and a little one where we used to live before that, but that was just for us). Each year they plan on cutting back or changing a little- more raised beds that are easier to work and crops that don't have to be picked so frequently. They raise more gourds that they sell that can be held over for years after they are dried. Popcorn and Lima beans are also ones that don't need constant picking. They didn't plant any winter squash because they had too much left over last year that went to the chickens(not as many chickens anymore as the coons and bobcats have been getting them)
    When I was a kid, we raised all of our own meat and produce. Only animals we didn't have was horses because couldn't get anything from them.
    They get some hot days but by the time they do, everything is out of the main green house and moved to the other side.
    Debbie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Debbie I grew up with a one acre garden on our ranch. Freezing, canning, drying, and giving away loads to family and friends plus all the weeding and irrigating was just too much work, but they loved it and I hated it so I did most of the fieldwork and animal care. That is a beautiful well-kept garden your folks have.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    Did spinning today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Cool It Off DVD (this is stretching)

Barbara
    – I remember when Vince had his tibial plateau fracture. The day after the operation PT had him up. He screamed in pain. Their answer? They closed the door!

Around here the governor mandated wearing masks, but when I go to the store a lot of people aren’t wearing them. I admit when I walked to the Dollar store yesterday I totally forgot my mask. But that’s because I was walking, I always have a few in the car. Plus, I keep one in my pocketbook in case I forget to take it out of the car. At least when I get to the store, I have something I can put on rather than having to walk all the way back to the car. I tend to park in no-man’s-land. Most of the food stores have taken up those markers on the floor where 6’ is because I think most people kind-of know how far 6’ is.

Going to the soup kitchen but first have to go to the post office.

Kate
    – yea for no more cast. Take it easy and heal well. Gorgeous flowers

Fae – you impress me! I could never do all you did

Heather – what is a bone profile and ferritin? What would they be looking for?

Vince wanted to put the dirt we had from digging out the culvert on the slope so we did that and then put down grass seed and straw.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Allie: I like Dr. Pohl, too. And Dr. Jeff, Dr. Oakley, & the Vet Life . . .. I like many animal shows, from veterinarians to zoos and Nat Geo Wild programs. :flowerforyou:

Heather: We had a cleaning service for many years but things were not going well near the end. I wanted them to wear a mask to clean in my house and they were not willing to do that. They were not predictably timely and the work they were doing was less and less well done. They broke things. Now I’m the cleaning lady. :ohwell:

Lanette: I always imagined myself with an acreage or large garden in my yard. Here I am with a tiny garden. It includes green beans and blueberries, plus herbs. I enjoy it very much. :heart:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Michaela looking out the window wishing for more snow before I left for the doctors appointment. When I returned she was quite happy to go build a snowman on our deck. That’s the little pile in front of her feet. We stopped on the way home to buy her all new winter gear, she was so upset when we got to their place and there was no snow on the ground.

b05uwaftvz77.jpeg
    87bcs2u3u5vy.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day-

Other- cleaning up ant trail, vacuum n wash- 154min, 74ahr, 93mhr= 851c
    Zwift bike trainer- 1hr 59min 34sec, 7.9amph, 3862elev, 135ahr, 157mhr, 15.81mi= 1091c
    Strava app- 961c

Total cal 1942
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited October 2020
    Just had to comment on Kelly’s beautiful grand children. So precious. DDloved seeing the spaceship picture. She asked how many egg cartons it required. I had no clue.
    Our state is back in the red for virus ranking. So many ppl just gonna do what they want to do,regardless of
    What Dr etc say.
    I read at times,but no way I can keep up.Hope everyone has a nice wk end. Pat in Oh
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,936 Member
    ordered an herb drying rack to dry my catnip(have been using the flats from the greenhouse)- figured it would end up being smaller than the picture looked(from measurements on others that looked like it)- opened it up and the thing is HUGE- about 3ft across, over 5ft tall with I think 8 levels- it is fabric/net so folds up. Not sure where I will hang it when I am using it but will figure it out. Used my $10 credit on Prime day so got it for $14.I will be picking catnip, rosemary and lemon balm tomorrow(no clue what I am going to do with the lemon balm). Have other herbs but unless I am giving them away, no need to dry them as they are there year round.

Debbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    6t63ty91i3e1.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    This reminded me of your recent issues, Heather ... :)

08zrk6ibfbcy.png
  • pipcd34
    M
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Kim - what a learning experience you’ve had. I hope it hasn’t cost you money at least.

Katie - Ouch! Hope it heals fast!

My husband is having stomach issues again! @exermom, like Vince he insists it’s something he’s eaten. This time it was at first the stuffing, then the turkey, then the cranberry sauce from last Saturday’s Thanksgiving dinner. Then it was Tylenol. I was put out with him last night before going to get Michaela because he thinks he can just diagnose himself and not see a doctor. He had asked me to get him some Gas X, I said sure Dr. He thought I was making fun of him. I explained that I was trying to point out that he isn’t a doctor and a doctor could actually diagnose and get him on the mend.
    I bought the Gas X and that didn’t help so ended up going out at 930 last night to get him magnesium citrate. I did talk to the pharmacist and he told me it should work.

Today he decided that maybe he does need to see a doctor, when I said why don’t you call and see if your doctor is in tomorrow he ignored me. So now he is suffering again tonight.

Why do men get so incredibly stubborn about seeing a doctor? I swear I need to buy that cast iron pan to knock him out and get him to a doctor.

Tracey in Edmonton fuming with frustration
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Caught up reading. <3

Betsy in NW Washington
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, planted a dozen naked lady bulbs.
    Bonus: line dancing
    Get to do: type hymns, apple pressing, minutes, submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Thursday: call Progressive adjustor, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, shop for part D. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    16: Thank yourself for something you’ve achieved but take for granted: daily reading. Thank you Guidance.

Joe seems to feel a little better every day. Yesterday he rearranged stuff in the garage, today he got on the roof and swept the stovepipe, tomorrow he’ll blow off the roof and brush out the gutters. Such a welcome change from him groaning on the couch since late July. Have much hope for next Friday’s follow up.

Fae, Joe’s surgeon removed cataract from his left eye at the same time as he inserted the stent to reduce the pressure. The cataract removal worked great, Joe can see farther and more clearly than before. The stent did not work, so last month the surgeon inserted a “straw” whose end would dissolve after six weeks and let the eye drain. It MIGHT be working as yesterday was six weeks exactly to the day, and that’s the day Joe started getting up and around and doing. As for the right eye, at this time surgeon only wants to remove the cataract but I’ll be amazed if Joe is up for it. ;) High pressure for over 20 years? Kitten hole indeed! I’m in awe of anyone who can bake successfully in a wood burning stove, not to mention building her own log cabin. How much did the genetic counselor and test cost? Did Medicare cover any part?
    Terri “…the begonias…” Whew! :laugh:
    Oh Mary your poor DH. I bruised my tailbone once and it was painful for over a year.
    Debbie WOW. Your parent’s greenhouse looks like a very big operation. Are they in the business? Ah I see they were, but the pandemic has closed their markets.
    Heather ((hugs)) you have to wait ‘til November to get results? SMH.
    Allie, I wouldn’t wait, but call that endocrinologist Monday. Nowadays patients have to follow up on everything themselves.
    Michele, “…they closed the door.” Yup.
    Oh Kim it stinks that the fabric caused so much extra work. Could you go back to the artist and ask for some extra $$ to cover the unexpectedly needed supplies? So glad you have friends on hand to help you meet the deadline.
    Kay oww. Please give your knee time to heal.
    Tracey if you knock him out with the cast iron skillet you’ll have to carry him to the Dr. Have you thought of a cattle prod?

Line danced outside for the first time since July. Chetco effect meant it was 93 degrees where we dance but fortunately there was a little shade and breeze to make it tolerable. Unfortunately it’s a concrete surface and after 90 minutes my hips and knees were done. Was soo good to see everyone and all were careful to keep 6+ feet social distance.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 16, weigh: 15, steps>5491=5547 vits=16 log=16 CI<CO=15 CI<250<CO=13 Tumble & Shadow 5=16 mfp=16 outside=15 up hill=15
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=2 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=10 play= sew=0
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Fae, I don't paint as such, at least not yet. But our owner likes us to do a couple of fun, group things each year, and this year one of the things that they arranged is a paint nite. There will be an instructor (not sure where she/he will be, it will be done remotely) and the six of us will be in our office following the instructions. Some of my friends have done it before and have said they had fun, I've never participated in one before, I'm looking forward to it. Saw one of the "packages", the instructor supplies the whole package, paints, canvas etc (all included in the per person price). It's a pretty basic package, 4 small pots of paint and a canvas about 11x14.
    Machka, I've never had lamb and have always heard and referred to Shepherd's pie being made with ground beef. Lamb actually makes more sense, not too many cow shepherds out there...... I shall continue to be wrong with my definition as if I called it cottage pie nobody would know what I was talking about! lol Nobody that I know anyway...
    Kate, so happy to hear that you are out of your cast! I do hope you regain your mobility and strength quickly. That is a lovely flower arrangement from your daughter.
    Playing catch up once again. Just finished p 46, have a couple more to go yet!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Kim - Oh my gosh! You’ve had your hands full! I’ll bet anything that it is going to turn out great. :star:

Dr. Katie – I’m sorry about your fall & injury. It sounds like you aren’t letting it slow you down. :flowerforyou:

Tracey - I hope your DH is doing better. The cast iron pan is an excellent cooking device, and doubles as a weapon if needed. :wink:

DH & dog are both upstairs sleeping. I am delighted to have a few minutes to stop by here.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon