WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Its low 70s and breezy,but filled the bird feeder while i am up with Faith .I so enjoy the birds....
    I have a password book in my lock box with instructions on how to contact this group in case something happens ,I would hope my daughter would do that for me,both of my kids know where the box is and the combination..my will and all important things are in there unlike my dad.. ugh.. I would never do that to them.
    Tom i think has finally done his ..he wouldnt while I was with him..im hoping he leaves everything to Elena.. she is a gem for putting up with him 😆
    I was looking at flannel nightgowns but started chuckling to myself as when i was younger that sounded dreamy and cozy.. now not so much, would rather have lighter weight jammies and a cozy comforter...
    Funny how things change
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💜💛💚💙♥️🤍
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Struggling a little this morning. Just learned that in addition to the $415+ we’ve already paid for Joe’s first eye surgery, we’ll owe another $857. Our part B insurance is high deductible for low premiums (haha) and doesn’t kick in until $2300. We might just reach that threshold with his second surgery. If Joe would go for the second cataract surgery in December, it would be completely covered, but doubt he’s ready, so it will come out of pocket next year. Postponed my eyeglasses purchase til December, but if I put if off any longer, I’ll have to go to the Crescent City office as they’re closing the Brookings office at the end of the year. And GAH, my tea’s gone cold. So struggling to feel thankful, for Medicare, for any Part B supplement at all, for credit cards, for the chance to save Joe’s sight. Yes there it is. Thankful for that chance.

Mary in AZ/MN ditto what Karen in VA said, so glad our kettle bell queen is back! Heard on the radio that sales of kettlebells have increased one thousand percent “thanks” to the pandemic ;)

Sorry about the unexpected extra charge. I had my cataract surgeries pretty close together because of that reason- so the second one would be covered. It wasn't as bad as the first but mine came on very quickly. One year there was nothing the next visit she said I needed it removed and the second eye had one starting then. Got them done and as it had been less than six months since I got my new glasses, they took them back after the second one and redid both lenses at no cost. I was glad my doctor worked with me. It saved a lot.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Struggling a little this morning. Just learned that in addition to the $415+ we’ve already paid for Joe’s first eye surgery, we’ll owe another $857. Our part B insurance is high deductible for low premiums (haha) and doesn’t kick in until $2300. We might just reach that threshold with his second surgery. If Joe would go for the second cataract surgery in December, it would be completely covered, but doubt he’s ready, so it will come out of pocket next year. Postponed my eyeglasses purchase til December, but if I put if off any longer, I’ll have to go to the Crescent City office as they’re closing the Brookings office at the end of the year. And GAH, my tea’s gone cold. So struggling to feel thankful, for Medicare, for any Part B supplement at all, for credit cards, for the chance to save Joe’s sight. Yes there it is. Thankful for that chance.

When I had my cataract surgery, I was out $3000 with new glasses. I went on the G plan with a $198 deductible this year and while it cost me a few Benjamins monthly with plan D, I come out ahead on a yearly basis. Is Joe choosing not to go in Dec. for the other eye or is it the doctor's recommendation? They did mine one week apart and did the same with this year's secondary cataract laser surgery. Choosing a plan and secondary is tough. I am lucky to have a great agent.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    X
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Margaret . This year I decided I didn’t want so many plants inside for the winter.
    We have had a 5’x5’ mini-greenhouse in a box in the garage for a couple of years that we have never used, so I put it together yesterday on our deck. I’m so excited. I’m going to look for insulation for the floor that is mildew resistant and can be walked on. Looking into the best way to heat it if needed. I want to do everything on the cheap if possible. I think I remember that others here have greenhouses, maybe Lanette? . Open to suggestions.

Karen - A greenhouse! How fun!

Heating suggestions for a greenhouse - we put a heat bulb (GE 75 watt "plant grow") in the greenhouse for when it got under 35 at night. DH snaked a heavy duty extension cord from an outside outlet, and I plugged a "Thermo-cube" onto it, then plugged in the light. That way I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night wondering if it was going to freeze 100 tomato plants when I was growing them for the MG plant sale. I hung the light from a shelf in the middle of the greenhouse and kind of arranged the plants around it. A person could use a much smaller lightbulb for a littler space. Our greenhouse is 8' x 12' or so and around 7" at the peak. Thermocube:
    A trick I used when I had little tomatoes in the unheated potting shed in April and didn't want them to get frostbitten was to set them on heat mats similar to these:

They draw so little current I didn't bother plugging them into a thermo-cube. Just getting the bottom of the pots/soil warm does the trick. And they actually did put out a bit of ambient heat so the whole room was kept a few degrees warmer.

If you are really into cheap, there's the terra cotta candle heater. I've also used one of these in the potting shed, set on the counter onto ceramic tiles. It works and it's kind of fun- here's a Youtube presentation and there are others. The clay pot actually gets hot enough to keep a cup of coffee warm, all from a teensy candle! As I recall, a votive candle would burn all night I'd light it at 9:00 before I went to bed:

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did Cathe Friedrich’s Lower Body Pyramid DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some spinning

M – I do hope your graduation will be online again

Linnie – welcome! You’re so right, things are very different for 20-somethings (even 30-somethings) than for us “mature” women. That’s why I like this thread so much. Everyone can relate to how you may be feeling at the moment

Vicki – I really can’t see why you need to wear a mask while on the phone. You can clean (disinfect) it when you get to work and right when you leave on the outside chance that someone may use the phone. I’d be interested if the higher-ups could/would give you a reason. I don’t expect you to ask for one, but it would be interesting.

After work helped Vince move the rocks to the back of the house. They’re under cover right now. Then he came in and had lunch while I exercised. He just got up, we’re going to go to Lowe’s hardware for grass seed and straw. He’s planning in the near future to use the dirt we got from digging out the culvert to put on this hill, put grass seed there and then straw on top. Hope it comes in.

Fae – sometimes I have to wonder if we’re catering too much to the non-English speaking people. When my grandparents came over from Poland, they assimilated. No special treatments were given to them. The HAD to learn English. Well, my grandfather never did and it was a real problem as he got older (80+). I wouldn’t say that I’m a BEGINNER bowler, I’m just not very good. Well, truthfully, I go more for the fun, exercise, and to be with people

Allie – I do hope Tom leaves you at least something. You certainly put up with a lot from him.

An Amazon wish book came in the mail today. First time they had a wish book. It looks like it’s mostly toys, tho

Barbara - So sorry about the extra amount you’ll have to pay. Maybe Joe will be able to have the surgery in Dec, stranger things have happened. I know last year when Vince first went on medicare, we had to pay the full amount for his Shringix because , of course, he hadn’t met his deductible yet. I just mentioned it to him months before and he never did anything about it. Had he gotten the first shot, the second would have been covered 100% from our insurance. Mine was. Oh well… I’m really grateful that even before the pandemic hit, I had a lot of exercise equipment and DVD’s. I guess about the only thing I don’t have are weights with a barbell, well, I don’t have kettlebells but then again I don’t do any kettlebell DVD’s. Also, our pool only goes to something like 6’ – not the 10 that the Y’s goes to. The gym I went to and took the class of the weights with the barbell, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to, I just wasn’t impressed at all with their cleanliness. Not with the Y’s either so it’ll be a long time (if ever) before I go back there. I would like a Medicare supplement that’s not an Advantage plan but includes Silver Sneakers. I just don't know of one.

Fae – I think I know why I couldn’t sleep last night. I kept thinking of the things that need to be done that Vince keeps putting off and putting off.

Just came back from Lowe’s Hardware where we got the seed and straw. Hope this works. It should

Michele NC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Mary - so glad to see you back with us! You were missed! Did your DH help farm this past summer? How's Shep?

Fae - I twanged my upper back yesterday afternoon so was up early this morning looking online for physical therapy/stretches. I think what helped the most was some relaxing QiGong and a few Tai Chi moves - cloud hands, hands calming the water. After a couple minutes I could feel the tension leaving my shoulders and upper back and it's probably 80% better this afternoon.

DH built the first fire of the season in the woodstove this morning. Got down to 36 but there was frost in some areas. House got down to 61 (where I like it, lol.) We are very grateful for a shed full of dry wood.

Medicare supplements - in a way, I'm glad my DH got RA in his 50's plus had an emergency surgery and broken back when I was still working and on county insurance with a deductible and co-pay. When the time rolled around to pick out Medicare supplemental plans, I pencilled out the possible premium cost/out of pocket/deductible on all of the plans and tallied up our past few years of medical bills, and the net was that a high-cost premium plan (Medigap F at the time) would be the best deal in the long run if services remained the same and we had an operation or expensive procedure every year or two.

I wasn't drawing social security yet when we signed up, and it was a bit tight for a year watching those premiums go out every month while savings was dwindling.

We get the cheapest PartD plan we can find since we get most of our prescriptions directly from our doctor's office - very inexpensive or use GoodRX. I'm on Delta Dental and just went on their premium plan (cleanings plus 50% of other stuff up to $2000.) Cost $10 more per month but again, one root canal or implant or bridge = thousands of $$, and I'm getting to the age.... if DH passes away before me, our income will be cut quite a bit so I might make changes at that time depending on my health.

Medicare and my supplemental paid for all but $20 of my last eye exam, I think it's because Medicare pays for the glaucoma exam? Anyhow I was surprised, thought I'd have to shell out a bundle. Of course the new lenses were all on me.

I look at health insurance like car and homeowners insurance. If we ever need it, it's not money wasted. If we do need it, it's there. And glad we have it.

Michele - wanted to tell you I saw reusable microfiber wipes at Walmart the other day, they looked real similar to the ones I ordered from Amazon. A box with 40 was under $10, plus they had a package of 5 for a buck or two. I love mine!!

We're getting some sunshine this afternoon, DH is mowing even if the grass is damp in places.

Lanette B)
    Having a perfect cool day in sunny SW WA State.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    Options
    Margaret . This year I decided I didn’t want so many plants inside for the winter.
    We have had a 5’x5’ mini-greenhouse in a box in the garage for a couple of years that we have never used, so I put it together yesterday on our deck. I’m so excited. I’m going to look for insulation for the floor that is mildew resistant and can be walked on. Looking into the best way to heat it if needed. I want to do everything on the cheap if possible. I think I remember that others here have greenhouses, maybe Lanette? . Open to suggestions.

Karen - A greenhouse! How fun!

Heating suggestions for a greenhouse - we put a heat bulb (GE 75 watt "plant grow") in the greenhouse for when it got under 35 at night. DH snaked a heavy duty extension cord from an outside outlet, and I plugged a "Thermo-cube" onto it, then plugged in the light. That way I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night wondering if it was going to freeze 100 tomato plants when I was growing them for the MG plant sale. I hung the light from a shelf in the middle of the greenhouse and kind of arranged the plants around it. A person could use a much smaller lightbulb for a littler space. Our greenhouse is 8' x 12' or so and around 7" at the peak. Thermocube:
    A trick I used when I had little tomatoes in the unheated potting shed in April and didn't want them to get frostbitten was to set them on heat mats similar to these:

They draw so little current I didn't bother plugging them into a thermo-cube. Just getting the bottom of the pots/soil warm does the trick. And they actually did put out a bit of ambient heat so the whole room was kept a few degrees warmer.

If you are really into cheap, there's the terra cotta candle heater. I've also used one of these in the potting shed, set on the counter onto ceramic tiles. It works and it's kind of fun- here's a Youtube presentation and there are others. The clay pot actually gets hot enough to keep a cup of coffee warm, all from a teensy candle! As I recall, a votive candle would burn all night I'd light it at 9:00 before I went to bed:

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

thank you for the links!!!I will be checking them out for my parents- They have a hot box in one of their greenhouses that dad just put light bulbs inside- works but very primative

Debbie
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Lanette When I hurt my back bad it becomes a lateral shift. My spine looks like a C. I do a special exercise that physical therapist demo on YouTube. I always wake up with a "twang" and do my version of Tai Chi (known as Fae She) first thing every morning after doing my slow twist using a large mirror.

I wish I could live in the mountains again with all the wood heat. I have a fireplace but quit using it because it burns a lot of wood for heat generated. I love wood heat but can't do much cutting and no splitting anymore. I used to cut and split 10-15 chords of Tamarack every year.

Michele Yes, important uncompleted jobs and procrastination can keep us awake. I can't blame a DH for not getting them done. It is a double whammy for me, self-disappointment, and guilt.

Barbara Those unexpected charges can really be a downer. My property taxes are going up a lot this year and I will find out soon how much. I will probably have 911 on speed dial before I open it. What I hate is when you get a medical bill 9 months later from some lab or doctor you never heard of and find out you owe money.

Fae feeling refreshed but tired after a 10-mile walk on a cool still sunny day
  • pipcd34
    Options
    C
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    patsjoy wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm joining the group like most of us for Support. I like consistency and motivation, I want to be healthier at my age and in shape. Thank you for any support and I will support you. Pat

Welcome here and tell us a little more about yourself, if you feel comfortable. :)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    V
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Lanette – Was at WalMart the other day and they were sold out of the microfiber cloths. Maybe I’ll try another WalMart.

Fae – one time the eye MD did a test on my eyes, I had no idea he was going to. It was a lot like one of the routine tests I’d had before. I hated opening that envelope to find that I was being charged for a test that I didn’t know that I was going to have.

M – I’m so sorry to hear your graduation won’t be online this year. I so enjoyed watching your other graduation

Soup kitchen tomorrow!

Michele NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Barbara - that would upset me to be the only one masked. Fortunately, they have mandated masks mostly everywhere here now.

Terri - So many people are being impacted by the selfish behaviour of those who are too self-centred to think about or care about how their actions affect others. - isn’t that the truth, it makes me so angry how selfish people can be.

We are having to mandate the end of outside visits because families are still trying to schedule them even though it’s calling for snow and below 0 Celsius tomorrow. I would never consider taking my loved one outside in it for a visit. Most of our residents don’t even own coats as they don’t go out in the Winter.

Machka - I smile every time I read that you are getting a break after work.

Kate - I bet there is great relief in having your cast off.

Missing Posters - I found last year that I just got too busy to comment but still read fairly regularly for a few weeks. I would hope that is something happened to me one of my daughters who are MFP meme era would pop in to tell my friends in here what happened. They know I participate regularly. My husband wouldn’t think of it, my daughters would at some point maybe not immediately.

Katla - that sounds like a thrift store I would like to support. The one I mentioned last night is a non-profit and they post where there money is donated to other local non profits each year.

Debbie - I miss those long chats with friends. It’s just not the same on the phone. Well most of my friends don’t use phones anymore, they just text.

I think I mentioned that my daughter sprained her ankle quite severely and is in a boot for 6-8 weeks, it has caused some complications and it’s not even been a week yet.
    Tomorrow her and I have back to back doctors appointments and she had already asked Grampie to babysit Michaela, Jonah is at a sleepover with his Aunt. Today she realized she can’t drive as it’s her right foot so she wasn’t sure how she would get Michaela to Rodger. We finally worked it out that I went and picked Michaela up tonight for a sleepover so she is here with Rodger in the morning. I will pick Lauryn up on my way to the doctor and we’ll just have to wait for each other. I will then have to drive back out to get Michaela to take her home. We are supposed to get our first snowstorm tomorrow so Michaela May end up staying another night.
    On the way out tonight Michaela Has this conversation.
    Michaela - Is this a dream or am I really having a sleepover? Pinch me if it’s real.
    Me: I can’t reach you to pinch you.
    Michaela: Maybe when we get home.

She was so excited and she’s looking forward to having alone time with Grampie tomorrow.

For those with Grandchildren, she brought a new storybook with her and it was a very nice read.
    It is called “Giraffes Can’t Dance” it is about a giraffe that feels left out from other animals in the jungle as he can’t dance as well as them. He then listens to his own music and learns to dance. It’s a great story and lesson, basically you have to be yourself.

Tracey in Edmonton, hoping that the roads are not terrible for all my highway driving tomorrow.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I’m so sorry to hear your graduation won’t be online this year. I so enjoyed watching your other graduation

Michele NC

Oh yes ... it should be recorded. :)