WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,601 Member
    Second hand instruments can be very reasonable. Auctions are one place to buy them over here. Most auctions are on line. Otherwise ebay???

Lisa - Hi there!!!! <3

I spent the afternoon in bed, dozing and watching online stuff. Wiped out. May be a flare of the auto immune thing I was being tested for. Really achy. It won't do me any harm to take a day off. My only exercise was a 2 mile walk.

French Circle were really nice about my no show. Sweet people.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Flea: We also cherish our old dog. He is a sweet boy. He recently had surgery to remove a cancerous lesion. Now he is doing very well. <3 I hope your old dog does well, too.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    L
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Old dogs While Tom T. Hall gave women a bad rap in his song, he does touch me deeply with this verse. I get teary-eyed every time I hear it.

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes;
    God bless little children while they're still too young to hate."
    When he moved away I found my pen and copied down that line
    'Bout old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Fae reaching for a tissue in North Central Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,915 Member
    Katla - That sounds about what we paid for a monthly rental when my daughter took violin years ago. I think the price is high so that there can be repairs if care is not taken with the equipment.

Heather - I hope you feel better soon.

Tracey
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Katla Second hand and thrift stores are a good place to look for used band instruments. If possible take someone with you that knows if they are repairable and what kind of expense that will be. Generally, these instruments are in good repair because some kid got disinterested after his parents made the purchase to avoid rental. The problem with online is paying shipping which is getting costly. Also if she isn't sure what instrument she might like best, then rental is best because usually, you can exchange for another instrument under the rental agreement.

Even when I could afford clothes in my late teens and early 20's, I loved shopping thrift stores and getting clothes I could modify or use for the material.

Tracey makes a good point with a rental, the store does all the repair and upkeep.
  • Katla49
    The last time we used the self clean feature on our ovens the house filled up with smoke and we rented a giant fan to blow smoke out of the house. We called the fire department to let them know what was going on. On a previous oven cleaning adventure, neighbors called in fire department. 😱🤯😨🤬
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💜💙💚💛🧡❤️
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    KATLA ~ One of my former ovens was a Jenn Aire and the self cleaning function worked well. Now we have a Maytag with what they call a steam style of cleaning (You add 2 cups of water to the bottom and turn on the "clean" feature). It just doesn't do anything to get rid of burnt on stuff. So, I have just resorted to buying the spray on cleaner that you can use without heating up the oven. It works pretty well.

Carol in GA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    edited October 2020
    Did the 10 Minute Carb Burner DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Cathe Friedrich’s Lower Body Pyramid DVD

Rebecca
    – maybe he didn’t know that the pine was wet or that there were leaves in it? Who knows?

Am making the sourdough bread for a friend that I hope to see this weekend. Vince wants to put these stones we have in the back since we need to cut the grass at least one more time

Worked today and then tomorrow, then soup kitchen on Friday, then work on Sat.

Barbara
    – if I mention something to Vince, many times it gets ignored. But if Jess mentions the exact same thing, something gets done. Men!!!

KJ
    – wonderful (as usual) igloo

Exercised after work, got the bread ready to rise and then went to WalMart. I needed gas anyway.

Lisa – thanks for popping in

Fae – how did you learn the self-hypnosis? That sounds really interesting. Like you, I enjoy getting clothing or whatever at the Salvation Army. Not that I can’t afford it, just that I like supporting them

Had to take some sort of test at Food Lion. Really, it was pretty boring, just stuff that makes sense. Nothing special. Wonder how often they do this? I wound up answering some of the questions with things that they’d like to hear.

Previously, when you needed to renew your license here in NC, you had to go to the DMV and take this test. To me, it was stupid. The test was asking you what the signs meant and the sign didn’t have any writing on it. Really, how often do you see a sign without something written on it? Sometimes if you go to a foreign country, they may use different words. Well, we found out you can renew online and you don’t have to go thru that stupid sign test

Sinuses were acting up so I took a decongestant which really dries me out. I think in the first 2 hours at work, I probably had about 16oz of water. Of course, you know what that means! Hello bathroom!

Mary – you’ve been missed! So glad to see you back here

Patsjoy – welcome to a place for lots of support

Newcomer bowling tonight

Michele NC
  • Faetta
    patsjoy wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm joining the group like most of us for Support. I like consistency and motivation, I want to be healthier at my age and in shape. Thank you for any support and I will support you. Pat

Glad you have joined us, Pat. I hope you will find us motivational. Consistency is a hard battle in the beginning but should get easier as you see results from developing your routine. Looking forward to more posts from you.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    Z
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,203 Member
    Mary missed you glad to see you again.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,601 Member
    edited October 2020
    Hi Pat! Keep coming back. We are very chatty. :)

Well, the person that fixed my phone screen somehow messed up my WhatsApp and lost all the names. :# I panicked and uploaded it again and it's now lost all my messages. A small annoyance in the great scheme of things, but my perfectionism was triggered until I talked myself out of it.

Then I watched 'Ambulance' on the TV and got things back in proportion.
    I've had a really lazy day,but I think I needed it. Felt a bit tearful this evening. Just letting go of tension. Breathe.

I've got all my mini presents for DH now. Breakfast for him sorted, evening meal will be fillet steak. I cut his hair yesterday. :) Weather not looking good for Saturday.

Food delivery tomorrow. Getting stocked up in case covid measures get tougher down here. Where Kate UK lives is on the highest level of restrictions. We are medium at the moment.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    edited October 2020
    DH is taking command of Dear Granddaughter's music instrument project for now. I get a free pass. I love the way he and our daughter are working together. YAY!!!!!

Fae: I agree that music stores often have used trade-ins for a reasonable price. We have no music stores near us. Our granddaughter is in Illinois. They will need to look closer to home. DH is helping with the project and he seems to be enjoying himself. :star:

Carol: We had Jenn-Aire appliances that came with the house. They were fun, but our experience was that they wore themselves out rather quickly. Worse, they were vented under the house and the vents were neither properly screened nor sealed. This was the fault of the builder, not of Jenn-Aire. Mice used the vent duct to invade our house. We had mouse droppings all over the kitchen. We got rid of the Jenn-Aire & fixed the part of the kitchen floor that was open to mice, and other unwelcome critters. Once we fixed the floors and bought a different stove, we had no more rodent invasions. :bigsmile: Our last oven cleaning was also more smoky than we’d like. I have realized we need to clean the ovens more often so grease from cooking doesn’t get built up. I’m sometimes slow, but eventually I get it. :embarassed:

Patsjoy: Welcome!!!

I have an Eye Doctor appointment tomorrow after months of staying home. I’ve developed a dislike of going into Portland, but this needs to be done. DH will be my driver. I expect a routine exam. I think my eyesight is fine and my glasses are perfect for me.

Katla in misty NW Oregon
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Michele I first learned from the MD that put me under hypnosis for TMJ and extreme nervousness. I then took a two-week workshop with a psychologist that specialized in clinical hypnosis. I wish I could still bowl, but my elbows and wrist say no. I love bowling.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Hello Ladies! Just popping in to say hello! I had switched phones twice and forgot all my passwords so finally got back on to this site!

<3

Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Hi Mary ... glad to see you back!

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Good evening Ladies -

Facebook reminded me that I was having MUCH more fun 4 years ago.....I was staying with my friend in Cali to get her over the hump of dropping her baby at college...we made an impromptu trip to Disney Land and had a blast! Today, I was painting the cover for the well head, the trash can surround (that also hides the satellite dish) and the fence that hides the AC units. Tomorrow I get to finish that fun project :smile:.

I think the only paint project left will be to paint the iron fence around the pygmy yard. It will be with oil based paint so I am not looking forward to it. If I'm not the messiest painter in the world, I'm close. I need to wait a couple more weeks so I can wear long sleeves and long pants since I will need to use a remover (as opposed to soap and water) to clean up after that project. It was close to 90 today. Hubs and I will tackle the fence on a weekend so we should finish it in one day, two at the most. The prep will be the worst part.

Okie in the TX Hill Country