WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Previously, when you needed to renew your license here in NC, you had to go to the DMV and take this test. To me, it was stupid. The test was asking you what the signs meant and the sign didn’t have any writing on it. Really, how often do you see a sign without something written on it? Sometimes if you go to a foreign country, they may use different words. Well, we found out you can renew online and you don’t have to go thru that stupid sign test

Michele NC

It's about the shape and colour of the signs.

These are some US ones ...

x9jiim3pn6aa.png
    https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/services/publications/fhwaop02084/index.htm

https://driversprep.com/road-signs-know-the-basic-shapes/

The idea behind using certain shapes and colours is that when people see a sign, even from a distance, they'll have some idea of what's coming even if they can't read the sign yet ... so they can prepare themselves.

For example, in North America, a red octagon will indicate stop whether it actually has that word on it or not. A yellow diamond is a warning.

Signs and sign shapes/colours are different in different countries.

I watched a show once, several years ago, on the development of road signage and it was quite interesting. :)

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs, 36min, 55sec, 3.05ap, 89ahr, 139mhr, 187elev, 8.33mi= 790c
    Strava app = 1009c
    Zwift bike trainer- 35.24min, 21.4amph, 105elev, 136ahr, 162mhr, 12.61mi= 320c
    Strava app = 322c
    Walk 2 nails n back- 27.58min, 2.5ap, 86ahr, 1.27mi= 115c
    Strava app = 154c

Total cal 1225
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,994 Member
    Beth- i dont know what you have in the house for pain meds for the DH usually takes a few days for the antibiotics to kick in..and i dont know if he can take Nsaids or not but if he can,give him 2 tylenol and 2 aleve or ibuprofen every 6-8 hrs should help with pain ,at least thats what the Dentist that i worked for prescribed for teeth in that condition... here is hoping the antibiotics kick in soon...and hope you can celebrate once he feels better..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,798 Member
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Progressing, but slowly, and I am not a patient patient. My daughter leaves Saturday, and her presence has been a godsend, as well as a joy... Reading, but responses just beyond me still. Love y'all...
    Lisa
    Good to see you posting at least. And slow progress is better than no progress. (((Hugs)))

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,915 Member
    Machka - I just love the lessons you give us. :)

Michele - I used to be a huge fan of Salvation Army until 2005. We had a house fire and did not have insurance, we were renting. We were told by the fire department we should contact the Salvation Army as we didn’t know about the fire until after the 72 hour deadline that the Red Cross assists.
    When I went for the meeting, they first didn’t want to help because my husband wasn’t with me. He was at work and we couldn’t afford for him to be missing time when I was too. After that battle they gave us vouchers for 50.00 each for clothes. When I went to the store to use the vouchers I couldn’t use it to buy clothes from the “boutique” area where dress clothes were.
    We had been camping so I had clothes for home it was work clothes I needed.
    Since that time I have not supported them once. I felt like the lowest scum of the earth in that meeting and as if I was just looking for a handout for no reason.
    There was a thrift store in the town we now live in that helped us immensely. They overheard me talking to my friend while we were shopping and gave us a new dining set, some dishes, towels, bedding, lamps and a bunch of clothes. I didn’t ask for any of it and was willing to pay for my purchases, but they wouldn’t accept it. No money exchanged hands. I support them regularly. They also sell paperback books by the inch for a quarter. You stack your books and they measure. Hardcovers are 1.00 each not per inch.

Tracey

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Tracey - I'm glad you got the help you needed and sorry that the SA didn't help you out.

Bowled all three games, got in the 90's all three times. I'm thrilled if I break 100. One time I got a 99. Frustrating!

Michele NC
    who has work tomorrow
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    X
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Beth & Machka thanks for the welcome! I didn't have a teenager around to help me with the technology... :D
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,695 Member
    B)
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 861 Member
    Katla, no, I'm not near Oak Bay. I did work there for awhile, took me between 30 and 45 min to get there, depending on traffic. I do love the drive along the waterfront, especially starting in James Bay and going all the way around and past the marina. I'm on the western side of the Greater Victoria area. We used to be known as Dogpatch, but our mayor has certainly seen to it that that name is no longer applicable! Lots of development, some feel too much, but it is what it is. And as we live in one of those new developments, I'm not about to chuck $h1t! lol
    The last time we used the self clean feature on our ovens the house filled up with smoke and we rented a giant fan to blow smoke out of the house. We called the fire department to let them know what was going on. On a previous oven cleaning adventure, neighbors called in fire department LOL!!
    Lisa, so great to see your post. Do take care, happy that your daughter was able to come and help out.
    Flea, sending good vibes to Leif...
    Kelly, the boys are adorable and the space ship is AWESOME!!! That's a whole lotta egg cartons!
    Beth, so sorry to hear of hubby's dental woes, sure hope something can be done quickly! Hopefully the antibiotics will help....
    Tracey, wow about your Salvation Army story. Very rude of them to be so unfeeling, like you weren't facing enough issues already!
    Mary, so good to hear from you! Glad you are enjoying the life of a snowbird! Canada's snowbirds are facing troubles this year as they can't travel down south as usual. Sounds like a lot of them are heading to the west coast. I guess being wet is better than being cold! lol
    Okie and Barbara, no, the world's messiest painter was my MIL. As soon as she picked up a paintbrush, even the dogs would scatter because if it wasn't moving, it ended up getting painted!
    Well, the weather certainly did a 180 today from yesterday! A bit of a wind, but clear skies and no rain! Our seasonal creek is already running tho, just from a few days of rain, so we know that there was more than just a bit of rainfall.
    Just looked at the clock, can't believe the time already! Pretty much time to shower and head to bed. Work in the morning, so no lolling around in bed for this kid! I am looking forward to retirement, not having to get up at a certain time will certainly work for me! Although, it will free me up to do before and after school care for the grands, I suspect I will be much happier getting up to spend time with them than with my co-workers! I like my co-workers, but......
    Anyway, hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Pat: Welcome to a great group. I hope you’ll stop by often and get to know us. :star: My neighbor has a wagon you’d enjoy. It is big enough for his load, has excellent wheels, and the fabric sides reduce weight and make things easier. You can find fabric wagons at amazon, Target, or Kohls. :star.

Heather: The flu is going around in our part of the world. We’ve had very light cases of it and are both doing better. Maybe your feeling of being wiped out is connected to the flu. I hope you’ll be feeling great asap. :flowerforyou:

Beth: I’m so sorry your husband is having trouble getting medical care for his tooth. (((hugs to your DH)))

Mary from Arizona/Minnesota: It is so good to see you posting here again! Welcome back!!! :flowerforyou:

Barbara: I hope you ’re able to get out and have some fun dancing. ::bigsmile:

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my eye doctor. It has been nearly a year since the last time I saw her. I expect a routine exam and don’t think there will be any changes in my glasses. They’re doing okay.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,601 Member
    Katla - I suspect my exhaustion was something to do with why I had my blood tested. Plus getting myself worked up over the phone.
    I saved my paracetamol for 3.45 am and that enabled me to get back to sleep. Too many very early mornings.

Machka - The history of road signs is indeed fascinating. :) Ours were designed by a woman , lettering and symbols. I also watched a TV programme. Love design and graphics.

Feeling a bit more cheerful this morning. Looking forward to my huge food delivery! How exciting is that! We should be off on our river cruise in Portugal today. :/

I actually feel extremely lucky to be spending this time with DH in this wonderful town. Things are getting very hard for people around the country. Lockdown beginning in several areas in the North. So many are alone, and/or jobless.
    We have a roof over our heads, more than enough to eat and we have each other.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Mary – as much as this isn’t recommended, I have a book where I write down all of my passwords. Admitted, it’s for things like recipe sites, nothing real serious. But still.... Everyone has a certain combination that you need to adhere to, a capital letter, longer than so many letters, must contain a number, a character. So even if you use passwords that are for the most part the same (I know, this isn’t recommended), there are small deviations.

Pat – I bet Pip could point you in the right direction for a good wagon.

Can’t sleep, so I’m here

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,798 Member
    edited October 2020
    It ooked like a lovely clear autumn day in prospect, but dampness has returned 😂

New dishwasher arrives today. DH uninstalled the old one yesterday. The old cork floor in the kitchen is a bit the worse for wear. It’s 30 years old. We are looking at ways of replacing it.

Mary: Good to see you posting again. Sounds like your move went well.

Heather: I also have much to be grateful for.
    We have a roof over our heads, more than enough to eat and we have each other.
    DH is such a boon to me. We are well housed, fit and heathy. Long may that continue.
    Covid:
    Northern Ireland goes back into Lockdown tomorrow at 6pm. It won’t affect us much personally, as we never actually stopped taking sensible precautions, but I feel for people like my hairdresser, one of my ex pupils, who has been taking such care to protect her clients.

So many people are being impacted by the selfish behaviour of those who are too self-centred to think about or care about how their actions affect others.

céad míle fáilte to our new poeple. We are a friendly prolific bunch. Jump in if/when something catches your eye.
    Sending love and positive energy to those who need them (to everyone, really)
    rgapbda4si7i.jpg

🕊 pax vobiscum 🕊

💕 ☘️ Terri
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,994 Member
    Morning ladies
    Im up and dressed and going to have my tea..
    Then pack food as im staying overnight with Faith tonight.
    Tom is driving down to Florida Saterday and will fly back a week from Saterday..he is bringing his second car back down..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    edited October 2020
    Machka9 wrote: »
    From Action for Happiness ...

"Life is far from perfect, but there are lots of reasons for optimism. Setting positive goals for the future gives our lives a sense of direction and purpose. And although we face many challenges there are also lots of reasons to stay hopeful. By consciously choosing our priorities we can overcome issues, make progress and focus on what really matters."

45msr0bdhq8o.png
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/optimistic-october

Oct 14 - Do something to overcome an obstacle you are facing

Yesterday's chat about stress and relaxation.

Oct 15 - Look for positive news and reasons to be cheerful today

On my way home today, I realised that this was the first evening in a long, long, long time where I could just simply come home after work.

No homework.
    No home projects I urgently need to get done before the next classes or assignment come up.
    No club work I need to do immediately.
    No meetings.

I have a list of things I would like to do in coming weeks and months, but nothing that needs to be done tonight. :)

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Mary. I really thought you were gone from our group because of the C-19 talk and I mourned the loss from our group. How comforting it is to know you have been here all along! I have missed you so much. <3

Karen in Virginia