WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, BGBS even tho’ I wanted to sleep instead ;}
    Bonus: 3 loads of laundry, 30 mins vacuuming, tuna salad.
    Get to do: minutes, submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Thursday: call Progressive adjustor, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, shop for part D. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    14: Do something to overcome an obstacle you are facing: called thrift store and shelter about donating mattress, box springs and bed frame.
    15: Look for positive news and reasons to be cheerful: Joe was more active today, seems to be feeling better.

Evelyn your “dogs would scatter” story made me laugh. Thanks!
    Welcome @linnieaikens Linnie in Santa Barbara and S. Utah! As a native San Franciscan who moved to Boise at age 45 I feel your pain. The high desert has its own beauty but it just isn’t the Pacific. That’s why when we retired we moved to the Southern Oregon coast ;)
    Machka revel in your free evening, wallow in it, savor it. You could get used to it!
    Karen in VA I have mini-greenhouse envy. Pics pls!
    Kate Yes the physio exercises DO hurt. Brava for committing to doing them anyway. Soaking your wrist in warm water before can help. PTs are like orthopedic surgeons, cheerful sadists. Doesn’t it feel good to be able to scratch, now that the cast is off?
    Allie, Heather, Vicki you’re right. Missing Penny, Sharon, Meg, Kylia, Amber
    SuziQ your chocolate hummus sounds like the way I feel about lemon curd. When someone asked me what it’s best on, I said “spoons!”
    Rita atta gal Wicket!
    Debbie “amazing how a simple thing like a walk with a friend will lift your spirits and calm your nerves” Yes this!
    I’m not ready to ride in a car with anyone but Joe, but looking forward to meeting someone for a stroll.
    Fae Joe is so exhausted from the first and second glaucoma surgeries, the side effects of the pressure reducing prescription and the persistent pain in his eye, there is no way he’d opt to have surgery on the other eye in the foreseeable future. He has a follow up next Friday where we hope the stitches that he feels poking his eye will have dissolved, “straw’s end” will have dissolved and the straw work to normalize pressure. One eye at a time… ;) Fortunately the only glasses Joe wears are cheaters for reading. We’re mostly happy with our plan F and do have an emergency fund set aside to cover the deductibles but it’s so hard to build back up I’m keeping it for the time when we have no other choice. In a pinch we might use CareCredit, if they offer 6 months no interest. “Fae She” :laugh:
    Lanette Likewise have big greenhouse envy. Already have a couple of heating mats, but will pass on the nested flowerpots and candle. Never want to go to sleep with a candle burning. :love: the thermocube!
    Michele thanks for understanding. The $$ hurts but I totally understand why Joe isn’t ready to have the second eye done this year… if he ever will be.
    Tracey I wasn’t upset, really, after the first few awkward minutes. Maybe next meeting someone else who has a vulnerable-someone-at-home will feel empowered to mask up. Masks are mandated here for all stores, restaurants, and indoor meetings where 6 ft social distance cannot be observed. Think our fire chief is just a little optimistic about how much 6 ft distance between chairs should be … ;) plus most of the guys are pretty fiercely resistant to being told what to do. That ol’ testosterone poisoning… Wishing you dry roads and safe travels.

Chetco effect means it could be 80 degrees tomorrow at the port where I was hoping to dance for the first time since July. I’ve already packed up all my hot weather clothes, dadrattit!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 15, weigh: 14, steps>5491=4635 vits=14 log=14 CI<CO=13 CI<250<CO=11 Tumble & Shadow 5=14 mfp=13 outside=13 up hill=13
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=2 dance= clean 30 mins=2
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=8 play= sew=0
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We’re discussing music options and my son has made some excellent suggestions. He advises renting musical instruments and giving our granddaughter opportunities to try several before deciding on “the one.” I like that idea. I hope It will happen.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Tracy, wishing you dry roads for all of your driving back and forth! That Michaela is quite the character! Only 4, you say......
    Fae or Suzi, can't remember which one loves shepherd's pie, but I kind of had to make it. I had leftover veggies, leftover beef gravy and leftover mashed potatoes! What better way to use everything up! lol Best part is, there is enough left for hubby to have while I'm at a work function Sunday pm. It's a fun function that he has no desire to partake in, so to bad for him.
    Machka, I'm so glad you will be able to walk across the stage for this grad ceremony! You have certainly earned it!
    We are having a paint night at work on Sunday. The office will be closed so we'll just have our easels etc set up there. There are only 5 of us, well, 6, I imagine the manager's hubby will be there, he usually joins in our fun stuff. My hubby has no desire to even join us for dinner, so he's on his own. Funny how I was always expected to show up for his work functions and baseball get togethers..... Oh well, I'll have fun! :) We are one of 6 facilities so will be zooming with the 5 other sites. I believe there is also a stay at home and zoom option, but I would rather make the mess at work than at home! lol
    Hmm, it appears I haven't much to say tonight! Just as well, it's getting late and I need to try to get some sleep tonight. Didn't get much last night for some reason.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Well i got a few hrs sleep and wide awake at 2:30 in the morning..today isnt going to be a great day :#
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    @linnieaikens
    9b3dmgpsas9s.jpeg

Hi Linnie. Well done on current progress.

I’m also 5’2” and currently keep my macros at C/F/O = 50/25/25. If you are losing weight then your ratio is working, although you may need to adjust at times.
    Others have already given some good advice so I won’t repeat it.

Karen: we have a greenhouse and in winter we put in tender plants and grow herbs for winter salads etc. Our winter climate isn’t usually that severe, (infrequent snow) so most things survive well, but we take cutting of plants at risk from the odd cold snap.

Heather: Our planters are still colourful. We usually wait until the first frost kill us before we plant up for winter with bulbs things like that.

DH has gone to the shops for his prescription, so I have a little time to myself to chat to you lovely ladies. Yesterday he plumbed in the new dishwasher and it’s working perfectly. We are hoping that it cleans the dishes better than the old one has been doing recently.

Today I have no set plans apart from doing my exercise, some craft or crochet and maybe start a painting. I have all these lovely paints that my dear friend gifted to me to take advantage of.

🕊Pax Vobiscum🕊
    ☘️Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Friday --

Walked 6.1 km
    Cycled 8 km
    And a few flights of stairs.

For the first time in ages, I got 7.5 hours of sleep each weeknight this week. It's Friday night and I'm not completely exhausted!!

In fact, I think I startled my husband ... we cycled after I got home from work on a trail we hadn't tried before and then went to Bunnings to pick up a few things. Usually, after work on a Friday, I'm half dead.

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Friday here <3

Kate - glad your cast is off and you are on the mend. Lovely flowers. <3

Debbie - I like the idea of using a hot box in the greenhouse, never thought of that one. Our greenhouse is basically a wooden & PVC pipe structure with construction plastic over it (which needs to be replaced yet again.) So not well insulated at all.

The heat mats I used in the potting shed are also my germination mats - keeping the soil warm while the seeds sprout. Then the whole family gets moved to the unheated garage along with the mats with only fluorescent bulbs overhead to provide light. It's enough to perk them along until I can move them into 4" pots and set them in real sunshine.

Tracey - snow - did you get much? I just saw the National Weather Service winter forecast - looks like you have a good chance of more snow and cold than normal. :# Our area too. Seems like we haven't had a real winter around here in years, and I'm ready. Even better that I am retired and no longer have to drive to work and deal with snowplows and flooded roads. Bet Michaela will keep grandpa entertained today! :D "Pinch me when we get home" lol.

RE: our woodpile - last year when we ran low on firewood, a friend went to a local mill and brought us a dumptruck full of dried mill ends from a place that makes fenceposts. What a blessing - these little fir pieces are from 6 to 8 inches long, easy to stack, burn clean. Plus no splitting which the best part since DH's shoulders are shot. They don't burn as long as maple, but it's a good tradeoff. Fae - seems not that long ago that DH would cut and split wood for hours on end, lots of maple and alder and fir.

Mary - now that you're back, maybe Wildhorse Wendy from NZ will stop by. :) For you "newbies", she had horses and they had bees and produced Manuka honey for export.

That's it for now. Make it a fabulous day, supermodels!!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    My house at 67 degrees felt hot after a full 10 minutes of patio Fae She at 44 degrees F scant sports compression bikini-clad. Loving my new Billabong bralette scant cut for juniors. That is one good thing about one such as myself of lesser endow. This could be the last day of such craziness for 2020 if the morning temperatures continue to drop.

Allie I was wide awake at 1 AM but forced myself to stay in bed till 2 AM. I got up at did morning routine just the same as if it were 3 AM. I was asleep at 7 PM last evening so I did get 6 hours which is not enough for me, but I am determined that this is going to be a great day.

Evelyn I do love Shepherds pie, but don't remember ever confessing such. I did a post about my love for making Shepherd's bread in a cast-iron Dutch oven. I learned it from the Basque in the high mountains of Idaho and used their sourdough starter for many years. Making homegrown and stone-ground whole wheat bread in my Monarch wood stove oven is also a great memory. What kind of painting do you do? I love acrylics and doing portraits and especially in black and white.

Katla Yes, that is my recommendation. Have her listen to all kinds of music using different instruments and see what she likes. I think learning from a simple keyboard is a great start and will provide a solid base for any genre of music or instrument. A simple harmonica might be a good gift for her.

Barbara Just a consideration, but the pressures in my right eye dropped with cataract surgery and have never returned. I didn't find cataract surgery that big of a deal compared to other surgeries and in many cases will lower the pressure. It is most successful with narrow-angle glaucoma but has helped with wide-angle. It also helped my left eye, but way to much damage from having the zoster "shingles" virus in that eye and the damaged trigeminal nerve on that side also from zoster. I understand Joe's position, but maybe this could give him some pressure relief. I wish I had my cataracts out years earlier, but the doctor I was going to wasn't a surgeon and didn't have the smarts to figure out my pressures combined with cataracts that worsened from steroid shots in my elbows, was damaging my optic nerve. Pressures over 20 for years didn't concern him. He is considered one of the best, but not by me anymore. Fricken kitten hole.

Fae singing the blues over past spilled milk
  • grandmallie
    Options
    Well good thing its going to be a lousy rainy day... we need the rain we are in extreme drought.
    But when its dark and rainy Faith gets more rest..,which means hopefully like when our kids were little,when the kids nap you nap lol.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Our HR team has been having virtual raffles in an effort to keep us engaged. This month's drawing is a reminder that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. We had to send a pic of ourselves wearing pink.
    aw9hj1e5pvxp.png

Evelyn - I am the lover of Shephard's Pie. I love meals where we can use leftovers to create something entirely new. I know the traditional recipe. If had made turkey I probably would make the meal using the turkey and left over vegetables, gravy, and mashed potatoes.

Kate - Glad to hear you are on the mend. It takes a little time to work out the stiffness once the cast is removed. Knitting would probably be a great way to use it while not over straining it. Love the arrangement DD sent to you. Beautiful fall colors.

So we are going to have another thunderstorm filled Friday and Saturday. I really want to get to Yoga in the Park, but will not practice on a damp/wet lawn. Just not my cup of tea.

I hope everyone has had or is having a great day!
    SuziQ - SFL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's Pie contains lamb and I'm not a fan of the flavour of lamb.
    Cottage Pie contains beef and I like it done with beef mince.

We eat cottage pie about once a week or every other week. One version is with potato and the other is with sweet potato. They're yummy!!

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    Options
    at C/F/O —> C/F/P

We usually wait until the first frost kills
    us the begonias before we .....

Noticed some typos in my last post. 😂

Just cleared out the last of our tomato plants from the greenhouse. Just one or two cucumbers to pick and we’re done for this year, and can start bringing in the tender plant. Our greenhouse is unheated but we do have equipment for hot boxing if we need to.

☘️ Terri

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    KATE
    What lovely flowers from your daughter. Glad you are able to start using your hand.

SUZIE Q
    Pink is a good color on you.

EVELYN
    It sound like you work with some fun people to be around. Enjoy Sunday the painting session with coworkers.

The temps are supposed to be in the 40's Saturday morning here in GA. A taste that soon Winter will be here!

Carol in GA

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    <3

• grandmallie
    Options
    Well Faith had her breakfast and us back to sleep,as is Alfie. Rough times lol
    I filled the bird feeder and have it hanging right outside the sliding door ,so enjoying watching the birds flitting back and forth..
    Chickadees,tufted titmouse,downy woodpecker,house finch,nuthatch and thank goodness Alfie is snoozing a little chipmunk looking for seeds..
    Just watched a documentary on the Bee Gees,i really like there music,poor Barry is the last one left..