WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Michele I thought that might be my case until I realized that I got my shot 6 weeks ago. I was symptom-free this morning and now after a nice rain, I have a bit of itchy nose and watering eye. No sneezing this time. Temp normal and no other symptoms. PCP says it is consistent with others experiencing unusual fall allergies after the recent rains. I continue to check my temp every hour.

The wind is blowing now and predicted to reach 60-70 mph in places. Gas cans full and generator ready. After 3 days without electricity last spring, I am prepared and thankful it isn't very cold outside as my only heat is electric and my generator is just big enough to keep the freezer and frig up to temp and a couple of lights going.

Fae watching the wind pick up velocity
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,693 Member
    Michele in NC, I am glad I give you ideas. The nice thing about just making an omelet is that if you fry it in a large pan, you can make it about the same size as a tortilla. I normally fry the ingredients first, like my onions, or bacon, or kielbasa sausage. Then I spray with Pam, and put the egg mixture in. The Pam makes the egg mixture not stick, but it does pick up all my flavors of stuff I was cooking. I sometimes have to run a pat of butter found the sides so those don't stick. I keep putting my spatula under the eggs so it comes off as an "egg sheet". Then I have the tortilla already warmed with melted cheese on it from the microwave. The cheese is the glue for the eggs.👍 Happy cooking!

💖Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :flowerforyou:
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    owning No, never too late! This thread is an ongoing soiree.

Northwest gals Are any of you getting the high winds?

Yeah! I just got an email my turtleneck top/mask has shipped!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    Faetta wrote: »
    Recent update by the CDC

COVID-19 can sometimes be spread by airborne transmission
    Some infections can be spread by exposure to virus in small droplets and particles that can linger in the air for minutes to hours. These viruses may be able to infect people who are further than 6 feet away from the person who is infected or after that person has left the space.
    This kind of spread is referred to as airborne transmission and is an important way that infections like tuberculosis, measles, and chicken pox are spread.
    There is evidence that under certain conditions, people with COVID-19 seem to have infected others who were more than 6 feet away. These transmissions occurred within enclosed spaces that had inadequate ventilation. Sometimes the infected person was breathing heavily, for example while singing or exercising.
    Under these circumstances, scientists believe that the amount of infectious smaller droplet and particles produced by the people with COVID-19 became concentrated enough to spread the virus to other people. The people who were infected were in the same space during the same time or shortly after the person with COVID-19 had left.
    Available data indicate that it is much more common for the virus that causes COVID-19 to spread through close contact with a person who has COVID-19 than through airborne transmission. [1]

There is a doctor on YouTube that further explains this. With winter coming and more indoor time necessary for many of us, this is a concern. Also to note that perfectly healthy people with no symptoms and no known exposure such as infected grandkids might come to visit and be 10 feet away and just their breathing might leave this virus in the air for hours. I hate to think us at high risk will have to ban all visitors to our home unless wearing an m95 mask and following all other safeguards and we can't go anywhere without fear other than outdoors with people distanced. I am continuing my research on this and looking for test evidence and research from the 230 doctors that asked the CDC to update their guidelines.

Go to the 50+Women group and read the articles I recently posted there in the COVID thread.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    J
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 966 Member
    Well my avocado plant seems happy until I get soil and a pot sometime this week.

Made some squirrels day, and fed them some walnuts and almonds. One nut a time! They were practically knocking on the screen door by the time I threw the last nut. I really need a pet huh?

💖Rebecca
    Whidbey

I feed our squirrels too. Mostly fruit that is too mushy for me to eat or the ends. They like to scoop out the end skins of kiwi. I prefer the wildlife in the yard as opposed to a pet inside.

We had an avocado tree when we moved into this house. They need too much water. Plus, "someone" kept stealing the fruit even before it was ripe (likely the aforementioned squirrels).

Tina in CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Fae – that is very wise of you to be prepared. Do you know that we moved our generator here to NC 13 years ago and not once have we had to use it?

Owingit4me – It’s NEVER too late to join. Welcome!

Rebecca
    – I bet someone with a fireplace took the branches, etc. for firewood

Michele NC
  • Machka9
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,799 Member
    Still catching up.
    Up to page 37, buts it’s past my bedtime 😂
  • Machka9
    edited October 2020
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Katla - It's a fine line to try to stop the sidewalk overflow situation. I wouldn't want the restaurants to have to stop doing it, because it's nice and they need to be able to serve customers right now. I think I will just have to pay more attention to the conditions and make attempts to bypass such areas. I do not want the eating establishments to stop offering the outdoor seating. I actually have wondered why there isn't more of it in this city, where we have pleasant weather most of the year. Now I know, it's due to government permitting and red tape. The city waived fees for outdoor seating during COVID and I really hope they let it stay.

Tina in CA

I've had to remind my husband about this. He expects that people should step around him and give him room, but of course they don't which annoys him. It annoys me too because I'd like to see everyone giving each other space, but evidently that's not going to happen.

So I've been telling him that he needs to look out for himself and even if it means extra steps or extra time, he needs to take action to move out of the way and avoid people.

When I walk into a store or cafe or whatever, if I feel it is too crowded for my comfort, I leave. We have an area where there is sidewalk seating and thankfully they've extended the sidewalk so I can walk past with some distance in between me and then. I could walk through and may have done at one point, but not anymore. In tight spots, like narrow aisles, I will wait until the area is clear before going through myself. If someone steps toward me, I step back. And I have told people to step out of the lift because only 2 people are allowed in a lift and there were 2 people in the lift already.

I want to protect my health and the health of the people close to me.

M in Oz

kopav1p8hufw.png
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,915 Member
    Rebecca - Wow Athena looks like you.
    My daughter has been buying peanuts for the squirrels in her backyard. She will miss them when her puppy scares them away. 😂

Had a fairly decent day at work. Was going to leave a few minutes early as I left for the bank and usually just continue home afterwards but forgot my phone on my desk so had to go back.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :) lots of wind here on the Olympic Peninisula
  • Machka9
    Very interesting ...

Tiny Habits - Start Tiny
    https://www.tinyhabits.com/start-tiny

"Forming a habit is like growing a plant. Let me explain . . .

You start with something tiny (a seed or a sprout).

You find a good spot for it in your garden (proper soil, light, moisture).

You nourish your tiny plant so the roots get established.

As you do these three things, your tiny plant will take root and thrive.

Let's apply the points above to how habit formation works:

You start with a tiny behavior.

You find a good spot in your daily routine for this tiny behavior.

You nourish your tiny behavior so it gets firmly established in your life."

And more ... all about starting small, with tiny steps and ensuring those tiny steps get established ... then putting it all together to make big changes in our lives.

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather.
    Autoimmune markers do fluctuate - inflammation markers in particular. So if you have a condition with inflammation as one of its symptoms (like Rheumatoid Arthritis, for example), and it isn’t flared up at the time of the bloodwork, your inflammatory markers may be normal or close to normal. For most autoimmune diseases, diagnosis is not made on the basis of labwork alone, though.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    K
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,693 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Well my avocado plant seems happy until I get soil and a pot sometime this week.

Made some squirrels day, and fed them some walnuts and almonds. One nut a time! They were practically knocking on the screen door by the time I threw the last nut. I really need a pet huh?

💖Rebecca
    Whidbey

I feed our squirrels too. Mostly fruit that is too mushy for me to eat or the ends. They like to scoop out the end skins of kiwi. I prefer the wildlife in the yard as opposed to a pet inside.

We had an avocado tree when we moved into this house. They need too much water. Plus, "someone" kept stealing the fruit even before it was ripe (likely the aforementioned squirrels).

Tina in CA

I was told I need to introduce another avocado plant, and play sexy music for it to bear fruit. Or tweezers..😜😂
    💖Rebecca