WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,447 Member
    @tracey wow what a story! I had once heard that 5% of people (in the old days probably) didn't have the biological father they thought they had. "I think this is one of the reasons the numbers keep going up here in Canada, “it’s just a cold”. The problem is that Covid symptoms are cold symptoms. People still think “it’s just a cold” and still leave their home when in actuality it’s Covid."

I think I would get tested at least once a week. I have allergies and intolerances and it's not unusual that I have a very mild cough or sniffle, from time to time. I got one blood test after deconfinement, and one nasal PCR test in august before visiting a 65 year old friend, but getting tested for every cough or sneeze would not be viable relative to resources. at present here, there are possibly enough tests, but not enough personnel to process the tests quickly, and the delays are long (up to 1 week- which is almost completely useless) for having results in many cases.

@auntibk you can surely find some software online for free to limit time online. I'm not really stressed about the results since it's been a chronic thing for 12 years. I just don't like it when I feel really tired for no apparent reason.

It is strongly recommended here that people with hay fever get tested. We don't need to go back every week, it just needs to be noted that we've got "symptoms" and while having those particular "symptoms" we've been tested and we're OK.

Going forward, if something with our symptoms changed, like if we were to develop a fever or a very sore throat or something, then we'd get tested again.

M in Oz
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,817 Member
    Karen in VA ... thanks for checking! My son decided it was because they secretly chipped us! :D Smart aleck kid...
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,994 Member
    Ok ladies cant sleep ,later nap and im watching Highway thru hell..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,062 Member
    F
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Allie: I was watching Highway Thru Hell this evening, too. :star:

DH had his flu shot earlier in the day and he’s already gone to bed. I hope he is well rested by tomorrow, and feeling better.

I saw Mars again this evening. So beautiful. :heart:

Katla in misty NW Oregon
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,582 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, inventory donation, called for donation appointment,
    Bonus: board meeting prep, contact sheet update including public attendees, 30 mins vacuuming
    Get to do: submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: Post Office, library, bottle return, call Progressive adjustor, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, Wednesday glasses appt, massage, meeting prep, board meeting. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    12: look for the good intentions in the people around you today: thankful for the care Joe takes of us, even when his eye hurts.

Lanette, can your husband tolerate psyllium fiber? Metamucil caps have benefitted me greatly ;)
    Welcome @RVLife33912 Kari Jo from MN! My DH and I are ageing hippies living in a doublewide cottage in the woods above the Pacific. I used to line dance, practice T’ai Chi and take my dog to a dog socialization group but have been self-isolating for awhile, only leaving the house once or twice a week for groceries, library and post office.
    Karen in VA C-19 CDC info
    thanks for this, I was wondering. Negative information (“not yet understood”) is still good information. Projecting from SARS’ limited time immunity makes me think it could take 16 months for this virus to burn itself out. Something to look forward to in May 2021 :p
    Rita My Idaho CC expired, need to take the Oregon class.
    Saw a bumpersticker that I wished I had when young punks got their jollies deliberately trying to startle or frighten this little old lady: “I’m out of estrogen… and I’m armed.” ;)
    Fae thank you so much for the glaucoma links. After the Mayo clinc there was another on alternative therapy. The only alternative recommended is meditation. Now all I need to do is figure out how to help Joe discover this for himself. If I tell him, he’ll reject as he has every suggestion to ease his pain with a warm or cold compress. [sigh]
    Betsy con very grats on the lowest eye pressure in several years. To what can it be credited? Rx, laser, surgery, meditation or ???
    Julie thanks for the WHO’s 400 g of fruits and non-starchy vegs/day recommendation. I’ve been slacking. 400g=14+ oz, pretty close to KJ’s pound of veggies per day.
    Heather I’m laughing at the “Hooray!”s. You’re right it is the little things. Flush toilets, central heat, smoke-free air, ice from the refrigerator. Ahh!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 12, weigh: 11, steps>5491=3397 vits=12 log=12 CI<CO=11 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=12 mfp=11 outside=11 up hill=11
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=2 dance= clean 30 mins=2
    mnthly: board mtg= grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=6 play= sew=0
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Karen in VA ... thanks for checking! My son decided it was because they secretly chipped us! :D Smart aleck kid...

:D:D:D

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    olrahiwk9dph.png

M in Oz
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Feeling great -Patio Tai Chi and indoor full morning workout with an added routine for strengthing breathing and strengthening upper chest muscles using sports compression bra therapy.

Barbara It is too bad Joe is so stubborn. One of my friend's husbands is the same. He rejected my eye pack suggestion that my eye doc recommended as it was a treatment for women because they wear makeup, but when one of his old Marine buddies that goes to the same eye doc as me was using one of those eye packs, he went and bought one. I saw him using it and started to make the comment "so you finally decided to try the girl thing" and my friend was frantically giving me the "zip it" sign. Hahaha!

Fae
  • Machka9
    Sorry folks, but I expect we'll be dealing with all this into 2021 ...

wp6pxabw9dns.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    From Action for Happiness ...

"Life is far from perfect, but there are lots of reasons for optimism. Setting positive goals for the future gives our lives a sense of direction and purpose. And although we face many challenges there are also lots of reasons to stay hopeful. By consciously choosing our priorities we can overcome issues, make progress and focus on what really matters."

45msr0bdhq8o.png
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/optimistic-october

Oct 11 - Focus on the positive change you want to see in society

Well ... the positive changes I want to see in society are: more consistent physical distancing when we're out and about, more consistent handwashing, more consistent following the health and wellness guidelines to get us through this and other viruses. :)

Oct 12 - Look for the good intentions in people around you today

I expect most people have good intentions in some way or another.

Oct 13 - Put down your To Do list and let yourself be spontaneous

This week is a bit difficult for that as it has been chalk full of appointments! Maybe on the weekend!

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,203 Member
    edited October 2020
    :heart:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,062 Member
    G
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,915 Member
    @Machka9 - I watched a segment yesterday and Sunday night interviewing different researchers from different universities and companies that both said that the chances of a viable vaccine or medication to treat is not going to be any quicker than at least the 2nd quarter of 2021 and that is really pushing it, that it's most likely going to be 3rd or 4th. It's depressing, but I would hope that the testing is done before and we are assured it is not going to be bad for us before having it.

My best friend from NB texted me last night at 921pm which is 1221am her time. I asked her why she was up and she told me to call her. The 30 seconds between me pushing the buttons to call and her answering were so long. I was sure she was going to tell me someone was seriously injured, passed away, she was getting divorced, nothing good comes from those calls.
    Turns out her eldest daughter that lives on her own, cut her finger and needed to be taken to the hospital for stitches. She was on her way home and wanted to chat so she didn't fall asleep driving on the country roads. So we had a nice 25 minute chat and my heart rate slowed down. I think her and I need to come up with a code that there is nothing serious when she texts me late at night. I text her late at night, but because of the time difference I know her phone is on do not disturb and she'll get it in the morning, I won't wake her.

I watched a special documentary last night on Howie Mandel, it was a good show and I may watch it again.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 966 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    With regard to COVID testing -- If someone can stay home for 2+ weeks and symptoms are mild, why would one get tested? I know it will provide stats to various agencies, but other than that, why bother? Seriously, I'm interested in what you all have to say?

Tina in CA

Contact tracing.

Statistics and thus research to find out more about how the virus presents itself and spreads.

"Testing people for COVID-19 is important to stop the spread of the disease in the community. Testing identifies people who have the virus, and isolating those people stops them passing it on."
    https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/keeping-yourself-safe/testing-for-covid19

"Early diagnosis means you can get the help you need and take steps to avoid spreading the virus to someone else.
    Testing diagnoses patients with COVID-19 and helps health authorities monitor and track the spread of COVID-19. "
    https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/what-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus-covid-19

The tests are free, quick and safe ... so why not get tested?

I don't have a car. In order to get tested, I'd have to put other people at risk. I can see some value in contract tracing, but not enough to get out and get a test, should I feel sick.

Here, they have let restaurants take over sidewalk areas for seating and as a result, there is about a 3 ft. walkway between tables for the public to get through. We were walking through one of these narrow areas the other night and right as we walked past, someone coughed. It was not an allergy cough, but a seriously sick cough. It really irritated me.

Tina in CA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Tina
    Just to be clear: In the US, quarantine and isolation guidelines for COVID-19 are the same whether you opt to be tested or not.

Quarantine = Staying home for 2 weeks after an exposure. People in quarantine have no symptoms. The length of quarantine does not change even if you are tested, and regardless of test results.

Isolation = Staying home for 10 days from the onset of illness suspected to be COVID-19, regardless of having a known exposure, and independent of any testing that you may opt to do. Sometimes Quarantine turns into Isolation. For example, if you are under Quarantine and start feeling sick on day 12, you then go into Isolation for another 10 days (20 days if the illness is severe).

Testing does not change these guidelines. Testing is important for contact tracing, identifying clusters, etc., but it does not change guidelines for Quarantine or Isolation. Testing is entirely voluntary.

Karen in Virginia
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,194 Member
    Flu shot this year I got mine the end of September and had a reaction like none I had before. As Fae described, they came on me the second day ( I took my temp every hour!) and completely gone by the fourth like nothing happened. First time I reacted like that!

CoVid Testing I agree with everything already said. People going out already sick but thinking it’s just a cold or allergies and take no precautions scare me the most!

I have always had bad allergies so if allergy meds don’t work, I stay home and take my temp until I feel better.

I take vitamin C, vitamin D, echinacea, and have zinc tabs for when I really feel allergies or a cold coming on. All things I found out recently are used to help treat CoVid!

RvRita
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    I just watched The Shining again. It answered all my questions about what could go wrong by quarantining myself with a handsome writer in the Colorado mountains where I was born. Damn it! Another romantic covid quarantine fantasy shot all to hell!

Fae searching for better movies on this rainy day that promises to get blustery