WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    My son is now wondering if they had covid back in April. They both felt rotten for a while, but, because they didn't have classic symptoms, at the time they didn't think it was. Now we know more about 'mild' and asymptomatic cases, he's definitely wondering about it. He's also read that parents of young children can often get it more mildly because they are so used to being bombarded with germs, their immune system is on high alert. :o I don't know if that is true.
    I suggested he get himself an immunity test. You have to buy them, but they are not hugely expensive. I think Superdrug sell them.
    The kids were a little bit 'coldy' yesterday so we tried not to get close and stayed outside. Hand washing. I'm much better at the distancing thing than DH and I often have to warn him to keep back. Bea gets the closest, but evidence says she is the least risky. She wanted to sit on my lap, but I said no. The other two are very good, even to not touching us. DH did wash his hands regularly and they had their own boules.
    However, there is still a risk. :o But they light up our lives.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I hope you get tested soon too.

M in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    exermom wrote: »

Someone on here posted a link for a microfiber cloth. I think the box had something like 50 in it. Could you please post that link again?

Michele NC

Michele - here you go, from Amazon:
    Mwipes 10" x 12" Reusable Microfiber Wipes - MWipes1012-White - 50 Per Box (White)
    Visit the Microfiber Wholesale Store
    4.8 out of 5 stars 208 ratings | 10 answered questions
    Amazon's
    Choice
    for "grab rag"
    Price: $17.98 ($0.36 / Count) FREE One-Day
    Color: White (other colors available)
    Size 50 Count (Pack of 1)
    Color White
    Material Microfiber
    Fabric Type 100% Microfiber, 80/20 Blend, 200 Gsm
    Material Care Instructions Machine Wash
    Glad Vince is doing better and the medicine is working!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Michele - I didn’t have a proper answer to your question as I haven't put any water on the floor. I imagine, as it has had two coats of varnish, that a light spill would just wipe up, but anything left on for longer might mark if it was left to soak in. The guys varnished and lightly sanded and varnished again. It seems pretty robust.
    Our kitchen floor is laminate, pretend wood, and looking very worn, so we are thinking of replacing it. Don't know what with yet. Imitation tiles, or vinyl is a possibility. Water damage is more possible there, but we did have real oak in our previous house with no ill effects. I don't want real, hard, ceramic tiles. Too afraid of dropping things.

The plumber came just before 8 am and managed to get the top off the boxed-in unit. The diaphragm is torn, so he is going to get a new one and ring us later. Plus I asked him to get the taps on the tiny basin to turn more easily. They are almost impossible.
    It will be interesting to see if I can actually answer my phone when he rings! No one has phoned me since I did a full reboot. ;) If I don't get an icon I will have to take it in to the shop where they did the data transfer. It worked fine in there, but then I got 4 hours of updates and the phone disappeared. It rings OK.

On with my memoir. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Had a good sleep,weird dreams but i feel good .have to drop off the jug at the lab and pick up Homer..
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Fae - I also had lots of sneezing, drippy nose, minor coughing a couple days ago after the latest batch of rain started. Took a Sambucca elderberry lozenge before I went to bed, woke up the next day feeling fine. I worked outside a lot plus cleaned out the potting shed, so must have been an allergy. I'm taking several supplements proven to have anti-viral properties, so will be interesting to see what, if anything, I catch this season. Not being around other people much helps.

Regarding protein: An article I read said seniors need to up their protein a little (if they don't have kidney or other problems) as we age to prevent muscle loss - sarcopenia - and the recommendation was 1 gram of protein for each kg of weight. So I should be coming in at around 70 gm per day, and I generally eat around 60 to 70. Not bad.

I calculated my DH's daily protein intake. He basically eats the same thing every day because of his tender stomach. I figured on a good day he gets 25 to 30 gm, and he weighs between 170 and 180 lbs, so should be getting between 70 and 80 gm to prevent muscle loss/weakness.

He has been gradually losing weight (the article mentioned this can be caused by lack of protein). So we had a gentle discussion about this, and I got him drink a bottle of Ensure high-protein supplement, which is another 16 grams of protein! He liked it and I'm crossing fingers he'll do this daily.

My next goal is to find a fruit/and or/vegetable he can eat and a way for him to get a little more fiber, but one thing at a time.

Heather - love the paint color, goes very well with the newly resurfaced floor! Your house is just so cute with the dining area overlooking the back yard. Hope the plumber gets toilet problem solved quickly. Wonderful photos of the grands. I see folks getting this virus as a light at the end of the tunnel - once over it, they are no longer contagious so will be safe to be around if this antibody thing works like it has in the past with other viruses.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where we had wonderful rainy, blustery weekend. :D
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)B)<3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    A friend and I are wondering if a friend who died in February died of COVID and it wasn't assigned to COVID because COVID was not on the radar here back then. She had many of the symptoms they check off today. She had just been to Florida and just had had Relatives visit her from California. We had gone to visit her when she was in the hospital. So I had no way of knowing was I exposed at that time. I rarely get sick now. I only have a vague memory of a slight sore throat for awhile. I hope they develop better tests for determining have you had it and did not know it.

Heather you mentioned an immunity test. Would this help me know if I had exposure and did not know it?
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kari Jo
    Welcome to a great group of women! Please tell us a bit about your self and what part of the world you are visiting from. Many of us do not accept friend request as we do all our chatting right here. Have a great day!

Carol
    A Retired Teacher from the Atlanta, GA Area who is staying safe inside my home!

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    :) We've had some rain and the ground is looking happy. Also had a lot of wind so the roads are covered with bits of debris. The maintenance people will be around this morning to vacuum the streets. We had someone come last week to clear off six months of accumulated "stuff" from our roof and treat it for moss. It is clearly autumn here with chilly weather and shorter days. I added a scarf to my morning walking attire now that it's below 50 degrees when I go out.

:)Carol, We, too, are staying safe at home. Last week, I went out only through the drive through at Jack in the Box for Jake's birthday dinner and the pharmacy. Jake went to the dentist and the chiropractor. We recently started ordering dog food online so we don't have to go to Costco.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    C-19 comment.
    Here is what the CDC says about our current understanding of immunity to COVID-19:

vvry6b5iw5a9.png

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    C-19 comment.
    Here is what the CDC says about our current understanding of immunity to COVID-19:

vvry6b5iw5a9.png

I watched 60 Minutes last night as they had a segment on this. It was very informative.

Tracey
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Hi Kari Jo! Sounds like your life is going pretty well. B) We live very near the sea in Brighton and Hove, in the south of the UK. We moved here nearly 2 years ago to be near the grandchildren. We love the place where we live, but, as it is a tourist and vibrant leisure town, we are concerned about the effects of all the restrictions. My son's job is a struggle at the moment.
    However, we take great pleasure in being by the sea. B)
    We used to be great travellers, but that has had to stop. Thank goodness we love it where we are!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Kari Jo. I love Sanibel! So does Allie. and probably several others here. Here is a photo of shells I found at Sanibel a few years ago: (putting it in a spoiler because the photo is so large)

xg85w2kpov6i.jpeg

Karen in Virginia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    F
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Lanette I am hearing the same report from many in the PNW. Allergies are at an all-time high this year due to the smoke and weeks of stagnant air. Thanks for the reminder about elderberry and its antiviral properties. I think my symptoms are a result of getting my recent super whammy flu shot. Others getting it have also reported symptoms lasting up to 3 days. I take several viral fighting supplements as well as an antiviral drug, twice daily.

COVID concerns My PCP in my visit of two weeks ago, gave me guidelines to follow before being concerned about testing for SARS2/COVID19. If my temperature rises more than one degree, or/and my breathing becomes difficult, then I am to call her on her personal number. She is a long-time friend so I have that to be thankful for. My temperature is holding steady and my breathing is good as ever.

The only SARS2/COVID19 test I will do is the one done in my doctor's office that shows results in 15 minutes.

Fae on the mend having completed her full workout with added compression bra resistance deep breathing and fireside meditation while watching the wind spin my windsocks and hearing the music of my four various sizes 30 years old chimes
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    In my quest for fitness and health as I age, I listen to Charles play the flute when I need inspiration and healing. Here is his story. He lives with his wife Vickie on Warm Springs Reservation several miles south of me.