WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I was just reminded that I had my over 65 quad whammy flu shot in August when my pharmacy first received them and this is Oct and no way I would have been affected this many days past injection day. I am improving dramatically and almost symptom-free. My PCP says many in the area are reporting similar stories of cold-like symptoms without fever and whether a cold or allergies, it clears up the third day with the second day being the worse. I will continue to monitor my temperature several times a day as I have since February. I will probably add this to my daily to-do list for life. Having a cup of chamomile tea and that is soothing on this blustery cool day.

Fae feeling all full of piss and vinegar

Educational note: One early citation of this phrase that my grandfather (an avid reader and retired book publishing proofreader) used to describe my endless energy is from 1936 in John Steinbeck's novel, In Dubious Battle:

"Listen, mister," London said, "them guys is so full of piss and vinegar they'll skin you if you show that slick suit outside."
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    With regard to COVID testing -- If someone can stay home for 2+ weeks and symptoms are mild, why would one get tested? I know it will provide stats to various agencies, but other than that, why bother? Seriously, I'm interested in what you all have to say?

Tina in CA

Personally, I wouldn’t care if someone didn’t get tested and stayed home. It’s the one that think it’s “just a cold” and go out that bother me. Too many still think they can go to work, send the kids to school, get groceries or whatever.

Tracey
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Aftetnoon ladies
    I get my flu shot tomorrow ,i called the insurance company and will go the local pharmacy and get the pneumonia shot.. want to be covered on all counts..
    Got the box spring together and clean sheets on the bed here is hoping I dont wake up achy as my mattress without boxspring is to soft.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    Options
    Fae: 💕flute music. Very haunting. .
    Heather: 😍 the color. Everything looks very chic. Brava for a flushing toilet!!! 😂
    Lisa: Kate UK: RV Rita: Welcome back. We missed you.

Friday: Enhanced Flu jab
    Saturday: Car Serviced
    Sunday: talked to family on Skype about Christmas. We are proceeding as if it will happen. We will deal with whatever pan out.
    Monday: Great coastal walk suitably distanced with DYD and her dogs before dinner.

Most eventful Weekend since I don’t know when
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Had my 6 month eye checkup and pressure was 20 in each eye. That’s the lowest pressure I’ve had in several years. Optic nerve looks stable. Had some loss of vision in upper right eye from a year ago but I think it was from the lens fogging because of my mask. My April appointment was cancelled because of Covid. So will have another appointment in 6months.

Morning walks with Ella feel like winter is right around the corner.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Betsy in WA: Congratulations on your great eye exam!!! I hope things continue to go well. :heart:
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    teklawa1 wrote: »
    Had my 6 month eye checkup and pressure was 20 in each eye. That’s the lowest pressure I’ve had in several years. Optic nerve looks stable. Had some loss of vision in upper right eye from a year ago but I think it was from the lens fogging because of my mask. My April appointment was cancelled because of Covid. So will have another appointment in 6months.

Morning walks with Ella feel like winter is right around the corner.

Betsy in NW Washington

Do you have any pain from those pressures? If the optic nerve is stable that is what counts. Winter is also in the air here.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk/5k/walk w/family- 1hr 33min 43sec, 113elev, 15.26min mi, 112ahr, 172mhr, 6.07mi= 637c
    Strava app = 739c
    Zwift bike trainer- 30min 25sec, 174elev, 21amph, 133ahr, 157mhr, 10.62mi= 302c
    Strava app- 274c
    Walk 2 store n bk- 1hr 34min 25sec, 2.43ap, 90agr, 112mhr, 4.45mi= 451c
    Strava app = 539c

Total cal 1498
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Flu Shots ... this is the first time ever that I have slight swelling and tenderness at the injection site. Everyone in my area is mentioning the same thing. My younger son's injection site was rather large and hot to the touch as well. Older son received an egg-free vaccine due to allergy and didn't have a reaction. Karen in VA ... is there something different in this year's regular vaccine?

Finally ditched my old scale ... wildly fluctuating numbers the last few weeks. Lisa ... would appreciate the scale dance I've been performing each morning. Get on the scale 6 times each day with as much as a 9 pound difference. I always took the lowest number of course ... B) But it was time to use a scale with consistent recordings and I had one which we had shoved in the closet a few years ago because I thought it weighed me heavy! :* Number was higher this morning, but I'll use it as my start point. My happy scale app didn't look too happy though ...

Beth near Buffalo

Beth, I looked it up and it looks as if there is nothing unique about this year’s flu vaccines. It’s a mystery!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    With regard to COVID testing -- If someone can stay home for 2+ weeks and symptoms are mild, why would one get tested? I know it will provide stats to various agencies, but other than that, why bother? Seriously, I'm interested in what you all have to say?

Tina in CA

Contact tracing.

Statistics and thus research to find out more about how the virus presents itself and spreads.

"Testing people for COVID-19 is important to stop the spread of the disease in the community. Testing identifies people who have the virus, and isolating those people stops them passing it on."
    https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/keeping-yourself-safe/testing-for-covid19

"Early diagnosis means you can get the help you need and take steps to avoid spreading the virus to someone else.
    Testing diagnoses patients with COVID-19 and helps health authorities monitor and track the spread of COVID-19. "
    https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/what-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus-covid-19

The tests are free, quick and safe ... so why not get tested?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    My gorgeous childhood home state of Nebraska

4x82bdft1v0a.png

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Flu Shots ... this is the first time ever that I have slight swelling and tenderness at the injection site. Everyone in my area is mentioning the same thing. My younger son's injection site was rather large and hot to the touch as well. Older son received an egg-free vaccine due to allergy and didn't have a reaction.

Beth near Buffalo

That is always my reaction to the flu shot. Swelling and tenderness about the diameter of a baseball, burning hot and red.

It was also my reaction to the MMR shots I had last December/January and the Shingles vax I had last January and just about every one of my desensitisation shots for dust mites. And my tetanus shots in the past.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    7 pm - facebook zoom a travel trip of new zealand .. looking forward to it
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1147480t6phl13g44.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @heather nice pics!
    @faye I hope you feel better soon!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @tracey wow what a story! I had once heard that 5% of people (in the old days probably) didn't have the biological father they thought they had. "I think this is one of the reasons the numbers keep going up here in Canada, “it’s just a cold”. The problem is that Covid symptoms are cold symptoms. People still think “it’s just a cold” and still leave their home when in actuality it’s Covid."
    I think I would get tested at least once a week. I have allergies and intolerances and it's not unusual that I have a very mild cough or sniffle, from time to time. I got one blood test after deconfinement, and one nasal PCR test in august before visiting a 65 year old friend, but getting tested for every cough or sneeze would not be viable relative to resources. at present here, there are possibly enough tests, but not enough personnel to process the tests quickly, and the delays are long (up to 1 week- which is almost completely useless) for having results in many cases.

@auntibk you can surely find some software online for free to limit time online. I'm not really stressed about the results since it's been a chronic thing for 12 years. I just don't like it when I feel really tired for no apparent reason.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Kate I agree: with shorter days and worse weather, it may be tougher. it sounds like you have very similar conditions there, to those here.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    eating 2 C fruit and 2.5 C veggies per day as per WHO anti-covID recommendation is working for me. basically 3 small Fruits cut up for morning with soy yogurt and a bit of cereal or protein cereal powder for breakfast and 2.5C of veggies and tofu or bean + a bit of starch for lunch and rest is open.
    a bit boring today. rushed, took chickpeas and leeks for lunch, then bought applesauce for desert at the cantine.

ate some chocolate this evening, 1st sugar in abotu 10 days. I think the chocolate kept me up. I can't sleep. I was looking for my earphones to listent to a relaxation recording online but I can't find them anywhere. neighbours could likely hear if I put it on outloud at 3 am. thin walls in old city.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    Options
    Every time we flushed the loo this evening we cheered, "Hooray!" It's the little things. :p
    The only trouble is that I have been getting more exercise recently because I have been going upstairs to wee, rather than wrestle with the unpredictable flush. As I have to go often, it has added considerably to my elevation step count.

My phone is still not showing a phone icon. My DSIL and I played a merry dance this evening as she tried to ring me to apologise about forgetting my birthday. I will take it in to the shop today as my efforts to fix it according to Google aren't working.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx