WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    hi I definitely saw on WHO 2c fruit and 2.5 C veggies per day but can't find it!
    it also says to avoid alcohol!
  • bananasandoranges
    I felt carry today from around midday. Dont know exactly why. slept badly. was definitely grouchy.
  • bananasandoranges
    @machka, I had a slight headache for a few days whereas I usually don't, but it didn't seem worthwhile. I mean most of us think we might have it often enough. the older I get the more odd bits and pieces I might feel from time to time for no real reason.

they are being better about following up contacts now than they were in may-june-july-august-september when that was not much done. now if you go to a café or restaurant you are supposed to write down your name and telephone number.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :) We had thunder and lightning while I was walking both dogs after breakfast. Bessie wanted to go home immediately. She stayed under the dining room table for about an hour while Jake sat with her and talked to a friend on the phone. Sasha and I walked for another 90 minutes in a bit of drizzle and no thunder or lightning.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,203 Member
    Tracey that was my reaction when I got a call at 3:30 in the morning from a friend and no one was on the other end of the line. Turns out the have a new puppy and it got a hold of her phone and I was the last person to call her so lucky me I got the 3:30 call.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather: Cheers for the loo!!! Sorry you’re having phone problems and hope they are resolved quickly. :star:

Barbara: I love the bumper sticker message—‘”I’m out of estrogen and I’m armed.” :bigsmile: I also agree with the “value of the little things, whence are not so little at all—flush toilets, central heat, and ice from the refrigerator." :bigsmile:

M in OZ: That alligator is likely either a guardian of heaven or h3ll. Either way, I’m not planning to try to get past him. :noway: Thank you for Optimistic October. 30 Days of Gratitude is my all-time favorite. I’m always pleased to see what the new month will bring. :heart:

Tracey: It looks to me like your friend in need, needed you to help her get home safely. Good friends are a treasure and you are a good friend to her. :flowerforyou:

Tina in CA: Would a letter to the editor make any difference in the unsafe conditions for people needing to use the sidewalks to get to an important meeting? :huh:

Rita: I took my flu shot a week ago & DH took his yesterday. He had a bit of a headache for a few hours, but he’s feeling okay now. A few months ago I took a CoVID test as a prerequisite to a colonoscopy. The surgeon wanted to be protected from possible CoVID virus. It seemed sensible to me. The test wasn’t painful. DH & I both wear masks in public, and the vast majority of people we encounter are also wearing masks. Stores in our town don’t allow people in the door without wearing a mask. :noway: I also take vitamins daily. D and C are among them. :star:

Margaret: If you have a phone call in the night and it turns out to be a puppy calling, it is a happy call and may turn into a good laugh with your friend and a good memory for you both. :smiley:

I was supposed to attend a meeting this evening but have called to let them know I won’t be there. I have had a headache since I took my flu shot, and it is a bit more obnoxious today.

Katla in misty NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,601 Member
    Just had the most delicious calves liver for dinner with asparagus. DH'S favourite thing. It was heavenly.
    We did open a bottle of red wine to go with it. Not the best idea. But fab. B) I have some stinky goats cheese to finish it off with.
    Luckily I have done about 1,030 calories of intentional exercise today. :o That was my usual morning 600, a trip to the shops 50, moving things about in the living room, ?, and 30 mins rowing and 20 mins cycling. :D

I have my blood test tomorrow at 9.20. Karen - if I don't have a flare, will the test pick up the auto immune markers? I'm not too bad at the moment. They are also testng for iron, thyroid, D, etc.
    Then I will walk down to the phone shop. And back.
    I hope to get out to my French Circle tomorrow night. Don't know if DH will come. I think it’s an Uber there and back. :*

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,693 Member
    💖
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,868 Member
    On the subject of Covid testing. Here you have to have a doctors order and the test is around $150, most insurance pays for it, but without insurance you have to pay.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    I had a colonoscopy earlier this year and a Covid test was ordered by the doctor's office where the procedure was done. Insurance paid for the test and surgery. Insurance would NOT have paid for the test without the doctor's orders. :star:
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    691020qoecc64kgz.gif
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 966 Member
    Katla - It's a fine line to try to stop the sidewalk overflow situation. I wouldn't want the restaurants to have to stop doing it, because it's nice and they need to be able to serve customers right now. I think I will just have to pay more attention to the conditions and make attempts to bypass such areas. I do not want the eating establishments to stop offering the outdoor seating. I actually have wondered why there isn't more of it in this city, where we have pleasant weather most of the year. Now I know, it's due to government permitting and red tape. The city waived fees for outdoor seating during COVID and I really hope they let it stay.

Amazon Prime Day - I saw lots of pet products on sale today, including Advantage. Just FYI for those of you with pets.

Tina in CA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    LOVE the KITTIES! :)
  • Katla49
    <3
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Recent update by the CDC

COVID-19 can sometimes be spread by airborne transmission
    Some infections can be spread by exposure to virus in small droplets and particles that can linger in the air for minutes to hours. These viruses may be able to infect people who are further than 6 feet away from the person who is infected or after that person has left the space.
    This kind of spread is referred to as airborne transmission and is an important way that infections like tuberculosis, measles, and chicken pox are spread.
    There is evidence that under certain conditions, people with COVID-19 seem to have infected others who were more than 6 feet away. These transmissions occurred within enclosed spaces that had inadequate ventilation. Sometimes the infected person was breathing heavily, for example while singing or exercising.
    Under these circumstances, scientists believe that the amount of infectious smaller droplet and particles produced by the people with COVID-19 became concentrated enough to spread the virus to other people. The people who were infected were in the same space during the same time or shortly after the person with COVID-19 had left.
    Available data indicate that it is much more common for the virus that causes COVID-19 to spread through close contact with a person who has COVID-19 than through airborne transmission. [1]

There is a doctor on YouTube that further explains this. With winter coming and more indoor time necessary for many of us, this is a concern. Also to note that perfectly healthy people with no symptoms and no known exposure such as infected grandkids might come to visit and be 10 feet away and just their breathing might leave this virus in the air for hours. I hate to think us at high risk will have to ban all visitors to our home unless wearing an m95 mask and following all other safeguards and we can't go anywhere without fear other than outdoors with people distanced. I am continuing my research on this and looking for test evidence and research from the 230 doctors that asked the CDC to update their guidelines.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Did a body pump video today. The plan for tomorrow is to do some Dressed Up Drills

Rebecca
    – I really like when you tell us what you had to eat. You give me some good ideas. Like I never thought of putting my egg on a tortilla. Have you ever used the poached egg cups?

https://smile.amazon.com/Silicone-HengLiSam-Non-Stick-Microwave-Multicolor/dp/B08C2VP5J9/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=JoGJEgxilxlTplpsKM2C5w&hsa_cr_id=1453459600001&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_2

Barbara – I drove Vince to the hosp on Wed, he went in the ambulance on Thurs. I can’t even imagine what an uninsured trip in an ambulance would cost! Fortunately, Medicare pays for it.

Lanette
    – thanks so much

Heather – we wipe up any spills that we encounter, but sometimes your shoes might be wet or something and it’s not so bad that you even notice it. Maybe what should have happened (but didn’t) is that when they built this house, they should have put more varnish on the floors. Not sure if we can do it now, tho. Another reason not to have hard floors in your kitchen – they are harder on your feet/legs

KariJo – welcome! Yes, this is a great site for input about anything. Can’t wait to read about all your adventures!

The guy seeded the front yard the other day. I remember when he did it once before, some of the seed blew onto the front walkway and the grass grew between the pavers. So now I want to put down some Ground Clear before the grass takes hold. Hope that works or at least helps. He also wasn’t able to get his machine in this other section since we have a border and he was afraid of hitting it so I’m thinking that after bowling we should go to Lowe’s Hardware, get a small bag of seed, and I’ll do it using this small thing that makes holes in the ground so you can seed.

KJ – what has your experience been with those latches that go inside the cabinets? The ones that you have to push down to open the cabinet door? PJ likes to go into this one cabinet and pull all the food out (cereal boxes, etc). I got Pete some of those types of locks because I’m SURE it really really bugs him. I wasn’t happy about it happening, but I could manage. But I’m sure that Pete’s OCD is on high alert. Wonder how he handles having toys everywhere?

Well, sprayed the pavers. I guess we’ll just have to wait until next year to see if this helped or not.

Fae – I have heard of people getting flu-like symptoms from the super flu shot, too.

Vicki – are you the only person who uses that phone? Is there any possibility that someone else could use it (like when you’re gone to lunch)

Tuesday here: Did Dressed Up Drills DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 10 Minute Carb Burner DVD

Tina – Someone coughing would really bother me, too.

The landscape guy plugged and seeded the front lawn the other day. We have this small area in front of our dining room window but he couldn’t get his machine over the border so I used our aerator and did the front of the house and on the side because I don’t think he can get his machine in there. Then I marked the trees that I want him to eventually take out. Why Vince got so upset I have no idea. He was trying to say that I shouldn’t mark the trees but I told him that I’d spoken to the neighbor and she’s OK with it. Then he made a big point of the fact that if we have the trees taken out this year, that’ll use up my landscape fund and I can’t get the bushes in front of the house done. I just said “well, I’ll build up my fund again”. What’s the big deal? Well, he doesn’t feel it needs to be done, I do and I’m going to get it done.

I can’t get over how much my sourdough starter rose. It almost tripled in size! Last night while I was playing mahjongg one of the gals invited me to her new house in the mountains. I was thinking that I’ll make her a loaf of sourdough and give her some of the crochet towel toppers. Can’t go empty-handed!!!

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    H
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,061 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk/jog/ walk/family - 2hrs 46sec, 106elev, 91ahr, 157mhr, 7.78mi= 647c
    Strava app= 821c
    Zwift bike trainer- 48min 59sec, 19.7amph, 741elev, 137ahr, 159mhr, 16.10mi= 415c
    Strava app = 437c

Total cal 1062
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,601 Member
    Our area is at much lower risk than the rest of the country at the moment, but we are still only meeting people outdoors. The tradesmen are wearing masks and about 10 ft away. It's very hard with the grandchildren, but they make it work by their positive attitude. <3

Still struggling with my phone. My only consolation is that it seems to be a common problem . I've tried a new thing,so we will see.

DH had a big issue tonight dealing with a legal document for giving his daughter money for buying her apartment. Would not print. He wrote it out by hand and took a photo. Hope that's OK. It's a money laundering check. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxx