Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Margaret- love Moonpie and Buttercup
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Top of the morning, peeps! It's Thursday here.

Rebecca - if you are reading this - I hope there's a way you can pop on here and keep in contact. We don't want to go through Athena withdrawals. <3 Agree about Facebook and how user-unfriendly it has become, and the "caring" groups just tend to reinforce the sad stuff. I have a couple totally "uplifting" and just plain funny groups I read and a few friends and family members to check up on. A pox on the increasing number of ads and "suggested for you" junk.

Michele - I have noticed more folks in my world are turning to religion for solace and guidance and no matter what, virus or election or whatever we stress about, we are not in charge, so find something to be grateful for and drop the worry and fear as much as possible. We make an effort to talk about uplifting and positive things, counting blessings. (Not meaning to force any religion here, just an observation.)

Barbara - sending healing thoughts to Joe, hoping that eye pain settles down and it's just a part of the healing process. Loved what you said the other day about caring for each other.

Mary - a big OUCH with that shoulder injury. Are you taking any anti-inflammatory? Ice?

Fae - we have a huge, beautiful Sunset maple close to the house and my DH is getting antsy to get after the leaves have just started falling. Some years, just at the right time, we would get a stiff wind from the south that blew them into the neighbor's yard. No more, since we now compost the leaves so we have the rake and wheelbarrow ready to grab them.

Regarding life these days: Sometimes I think we're either living "The Stand", "1984", the Oliver Stone series written by David Baldacci, or watching the intrigue of "Dallas" playing out in real life. :#

I am so grateful for my "walking neighbor" - we are each other's therapists, lol. I couldn't have been blessed with a better person to spend an hour or so with each day, plus burn a few calories at the same time. She's going to be gone most of next week and I miss her already.

That's it for now. Doggies wanting out. It's frosty out there.

Make it a good day, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Facebook is whatever you want it to be. It's a connection tool. Fortunately it provides us with many options to set it up how we want it. :)

Personally I follow cycling sites, home/decoration sites, and things like that so it's lovely. I've set up my Friend Lists so I can just go to my Home & Garden or Cycling collections and just look at posts about those things. It's one of the ways I relax.
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Rough start to the day. Joe’s eye’s hurting a lot today and it shows. His follow up isn’t Friday, it’s next Tuesday. Grasping after positive thoughts.
    Barbara

I hope his pain eases soon!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    From Action for Happiness ...

"Life is far from perfect, but there are lots of reasons for optimism. Setting positive goals for the future gives our lives a sense of direction and purpose. And although we face many challenges there are also lots of reasons to stay hopeful. By consciously choosing our priorities we can overcome issues, make progress and focus on what really matters."

45msr0bdhq8o.png
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/optimistic-october

Oct 20 - Find the joy in completing a task you've put off for some time

Getting a little bit caught up on some stuff at work. It had become more and more difficult to focus on anything extra with work because my brain was used up with university stuff.

Oct 21 - Let go of the expectations of others and focus on what matters

Me! What I want to do matters. :)

Oct 22 - Share an inspiring idea with a loved one or colleague

I'm kind of out of inspiring ideas except, perhaps, for focusing on things that make me happy and relaxed. :)

Do you know how nice it is to come home after work and not have to do homework?

Or this weekend, we're organising a cycling event ...... most of the time I've organised cycling events, I've got pages of notes printed or on my laptop that I'm wading through to study or complete an assignment while I'm preparing for the events or waiting for cyclists at controls and the finish line. This time ... there isn't a uni thing in sight! :smiley:

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited October 2020
    Options
    On this ... "focusing on things that make me happy and relaxed" ... I'm working through a list of things including ...

Resigning from one of my committees (not the cycling one!)

Unsubscribing from emails. I would much rather get the info found in emails through facebook. I'm getting tired of opening my email and seeing a collection of what ends up essentially being "junk mail".

Distancing myself from the carers organisations I've become associated with. Not because I'm not a carer anymore ... I am ... but after a bit of time, I've come to the conclusion that those organisations don't help.

Focusing more on exercise and especially outdoor exercise. Being alone (or with my husband) in nature.

I want to do things I enjoy. :)

I spent this evening watching the 1978 version of Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile while lying on sofa and having finished that, I'm going to crawl into bed and read a novel.

Machka in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Facebook used to suggest groups for me, (I don't do groups) but it seems to have given up! :D I only have about 3 people who post on there and it is becoming rarer for anyone I know to use it. Political and moral reasons generally.

DH feeling poorly. No covid symptoms so he can't get a test. They seem to be sticking to the classic symptoms for guidelines on who can get a test. He would have to be sent a home one as he is not well enough to drive. He is going to wrap up warm and sit out in the sun.

Fae - Hope your aches are better this morning. That's why we have largely given up manual labour! :D Too easy to injure yourself these days and then you regret it for weeks, or even months. :#
    I've always enjoyed being different to everyone else, but most people do put up with me. My life has certainly been different to the norm. :o I lost a few friends because of it, but many stayed and I love them for it. I can’t imagine why anyone wants you to be a hater. :noway: All you need is love ...........

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I am not going anywhere until i here one way or the other....i dont know how long it takes for tests to come back i had it late monday afternoon..I would like to know.. maybe will call my drs office.

Here it takes 48 hours. If it has been longer than that ring your Dr.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Has anybody joined a virtual choir? They look like fun. Here is a link to a chorus connection blog:

This is the Camden Choir singing True Colors:

<3

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Fae, Have you seen the Crones of Anarchy! Facebook page?

Karen in Virginia

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie- Calling your doctor’s office about your Covid test is a good idea. My Covid test results went to the doctor, not to me. I had to have the test due to an upcoming medical procedure, which was completed months ago. :star:

Barbara- I’m sorry that Joe’s follow up isn’t until next Tuesday. Waiting is stressful. :grumble: Schooner’s good news is a combination of efforts. His groomer was observant and said something wasn’t right. I took him to see the vet, and the vet said that the lesion was cancerous & had to “ripen” before surgery. That actually took several months. The surgery is done and he is doing great. :heart:

Fae & Rebecca- I haven’t dropped into facebook in months. It hasn’t been as good as in past years. I facetime or zoom family members, but there are some old and dear friends that I haven’t touched bases with in a long time. :sad:

Amber- It is good to see you! :smile:

Heather- I hope your DH feels better soon. The flu has been going around in addition to CoVid worries. DH & I took flu shots as a precaution. I hope the medical geniuses who create vaccines will come up with one for CoVid. :heart:

Fog is blowing up river this morning. The river is warmer than the air. I guess it is officially a genuine fall morning today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I wish we could get the Hallmark Network here in Canada, but we can't. So many things are restricted only to the US.

Facebook - I think I am the odd one out, I love it. It keeps me connected to my very large extended family, with my daughters friends that used to be at our house continuously that I miss terribly since they have all grown up. The funny things people post, I have become very adept if it's not something I want to read or think about I just scroll on by, this includes the suggested friends and ads.

Allie - Happy to read your results were negative, now maybe the doctor will see you to find out what is going on.

Well I need to get on with the work day, talk to you all again this evening.
    Tracey in Edmonton

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Barbara Yep, sorry I missed you too back in the day. I was in the Bay area once in 1971 to demonstrate an electronic surveillance device I designed for Philco Ford. The entire trip was a nightmare. First and last time I have flown. The jet had to come in low and was plowing water with its wheels and finally hit the runway hard. Then that massive airport was worse than Denver and the guy picking me up to go to the meeting was a mad man. He drove with the speedometer buried at 120 mph on the freeway. When we reached the swank hotel, I was to meet guys I didn't know for cocktails in the lounge to strategize our meeting the next day. After cocktails the fishnet high heeled waitresses wearing next to nothing, all handed us cards. Mine had a name and phone number. I inquired what this was about and was asked if I knew what call girls were. Of course, I did, but why am I getting a card, I am a girl. The cigar-smoking puffy saggy checks big man says you are in San Francisco, use your imagination. I excused myself and went up to my room on the 15th floor. I was just getting out of the shower when an earthquake hit. Very minor but it got my attention. Everything went downhill from there. The demo was a bust. The shuttle plane out of Denver nearly crashed after hitting a cold air pocket.

I sure wish Joe could get his eye controlled. That is such a worrisome pain. I hope he will relent and use a buckwheat heat pad on it.

Margaret About the only hypoallergenic dog that would fit my personality would be this one.
    I forget what they are called. I just don't ID with the toys and poodles.
    2ub405l2hmmh.jpg

Lanette Awesome on composting your leaves. Can you please move next door? I once composted my leaves. I would and still do, blow them up in a pile and run the mower over them without the bag. Once shredded I would dump them in trenches I dug in my garden and cover lightly with soil. By end of the leaf season, the trench was full and had dirt heaped upon it. By spring it was fairly level and ready to till. I grew amazing quantities of tomatoes, hot peppers, and zucchini in a very small plot. I finally went to raised beds and bought manure and soil to put in with the leaves. it was great and got away from the insect problem with a bit of garlic mixed in. When our water prices went sky high, it was easier (and cheaper) just to buy products from an organic farm that has a seasonal stand.

Heather I ache like heck, but it will be better in a couple of days. Walking in a while will do me a lot of good. The hate thing is something very prevalent in this country. Women have been told in the last several years to become victims and hate the oppressor. It is all political with differences of opinions on who the oppressor is, so enough on that. I chose to become a survivor that didn't let anything hold me back. I compare our plight as women to fitness. You have to earn it with actions, it cannot be gifted or stolen. Talk and narratives never made anyone healthy and fit. I chose to not hate my misfortunes but love how I overcame. I do get down at times, but I strategize an action and get to making changes.

Fae

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Fae is that a Portuguese Water Dog?
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Amber - So nice to see your post. Yes, it sounds like you have your hands full with JR. He is growing up!!
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Annie I don't know! It was the only one on the photos of hypoallergenic dogs that caught my eye.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    KJ - just for you. <3 Norman Cook is a supporter of the Martlets hospices and normally djs for their Halloween ball. This year the ball is virtual. :o
    blt512kuv4h8.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxx