WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options

My husband saw the doctor yesterday and he has to go for an ultrasound and bloodwork to rule out gallbladder issues. I think that is exactly what the problem is based on the symptoms and suggested that last week, however I’m not a reliable source I guess. In fairness, most online resources states that the pain should radiate to the right side and he is not having that. His is right in the middle and not radiating.
    He goes for the ultrasound tomorrow but we couldn’t get an appointment for the bloodwork until Nov 4th.

Tracey in Edmonton

My hubs gallbladder didn’t present normally either. When they got inside his surgeon thought he was being punked because his gallbladder wasn’t there. It was on the other side and removed without further issue.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Got a call from the hospital that I think has something to do with setting up an appointment for some procedure but for the life of me I can’t figure out what procedure. I had my BDT and mammo and I don’t think I’m due for the Prolia. I did need to call them to find out if I need another prescription for the Prolia, but that’s it

Jess called because I emailed her asking her about Thanksgiving. I know the last day of her class is the day before Thanksgiving and I know that she has hosted it for the past few years. So I suspect we may go out there. I just need to know asap so that I can request the days off from Food Lion. I have a feeling that a lot of people just might be asking for it off and I want to get my request in as soon as I can.

Okie – how’s your husband feeling now?

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Aren't genetics funny that way, depending on the day I can see my SIL in my eldest or myself. I am continuously told almost equally that I look like my Father, my Mother and an Aunt.

Evelyn - I'm so glad you had a nice Thanksgiving with your family and your grandson is free with hugs now. I remember when it was a trouble for you to even see them. I haven't heard the term fugly in quite a while, but we have that here this morning too, it is trying very hard to snow.

Heather - Phones are a marvel and a pain all at the same time. My Grandson had put mine on night mode without me knowing it a few years ago. My daughter a few weeks later looked at my phone and said Mom, that's what this moon means.

Kelly - What an awesome spaceship! So much fun for the littles. I never used latches with my kids or grandkids either. I had a bookshelf that displayed all of my pinwheel crystal when my girls and nieces and nephews were very small. After diverting them a few times they left it alone.
    I am so happy you had a wonderful visit and I understand what you mean. My Dad used to be upset when I visited others, but as the daughter in the situation I can understand that side too. It sure is a balancing act.

Lisa - Glad you popped in and happy your daughter has been so helpful. Hope you continue to improve fast.

Machka - When I was done at my previous employer I had been working under high stress for 2 years straight, when I was done I slept the better part of a month. I couldn't believe how it had affected me. Unfortunately, some of your stress is still going to be present, but I hope you do find some peace just getting University off your list.

Covid Testing - Here you have to do an online assessment or call our Health Line, they walk you through whether you need the test or not. Doctors are not seeing you if you have any Covid symptoms. If you do, they schedule an appointment for you. They have stopped asymptomatic testing now that school is back in in an effort to free up spaces needed. All tests are free.

Julie - That sounds so frustrating.

Fae - I think as you are responding others can be responding too and you don't see their posts until after you look again and go back to see if you missed something. It's not the best platform, but it's what we have.

Tracey in Edmonton

yep, sometimes similarities skip a generation, there is no set programming for us humans. As I get older I see my momma.
    hugs, Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Carol - I asked Vince if maybe he was getting tired of all the decorating, he just doesn't seem to be as enthusiastic about decorating this year as he has in the past. He said that this year has gotten him down. For example, not that we went out to eat a lot (usually maybe two or three times a year) but it bothers him that the ability to go has been taken away from him. Also, the masks bother him. He knows that he has to wear it, but he feels (and I agree) that there's a certain amount of impersonalization in it. I am a "people" person and this 6-foot stuff, which I know that it should be done, really bothers me. So I understand his feeling. He's also worried about the election (I don't want to go into it, but the truth is that I'm more religious than he is and I feel that God has a plan, what happens is His will and that's the right thing, regardless of how I think. I trust that He'll take care of things so there really isn't a reason for me to get upset or worry)

Michele NC

Maybe it's time to take a step back from all the decorating etc. and focus on something else.

Perhaps try going on hikes or bicycles rides with just the two of you. :) If you go to your Florida place at Christmas, stay longer and explore more nature.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Rebecca- I am sorry to hear that your Amazon Fire tablet has passed away. Have you contacted Amazon about it? Maybe they can do something positive. I hope that Santa brings you a new one as an early Christmas gift if Amazon doesn’t help. You are an important member of this group and we’ll look forward to hearing from you when you can stop in. I know I will look forward to hearing from you when you are able to post. ((( <3 ))) Athena is adorable!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - you will be sorely missed. I understand what you mean about being ok though. Our Health Authority came out with a thing that you could sign up for to get positive messages during Covid. Since we were promoting it at work I signed up for it. It made me so depressed because every text started with “we understand you are down, stressed” whatever word they chose that day to state I wasn’t ok. I quit it after a couple weeks because it was making me depressed.

Athena as always is gorgeous.

Tracey
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Snowflake- Cute kids!!! :star::star:
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    morning ladies~
    not going to fight trying to sleep, I went to bed early and got up early after 2 am, and got a load of laundry done and its in the dryer... having my tea and a muffin..
    going for a mammogram tomorrow early,, which is good, in and out.. and i am hoping that comes up clear...
    also the covid test...
    Jean wants me to stay overnight thursday. I have done that all summer long, I think I will say no , the twin bed is uncomfortable and this coming weekend will be the last of them traveling at least for now..
    I did talk to my brother yesterday,how I miss seeing and talking to him...
    Jean has done nothing to make my life easier,,, going to start saying No~~
    I am sure I will take a mid morning nap... but thats ok..

Here, if you've had a covid test because you're showing a few symptoms, you are supposed to self-quarantine and not go out in public or be anywhere near other people. We get fined if we violate that.

So when I had my covid test on Oct 1, I had to drive straight home and stay there. No work. No shopping. No medical appointments. Until I got the text which told me I was negative.

I'm just surprised that you're allowed to go for your mammogram and you're considering going to work, when you've had covid symptoms, have had a test, and are now waiting for results.

M in Oz

You are right. That is the requirement here (Oregon), as well. Until you get a negative test, you sit tight. That's what I had to do that week a couple weeks ago.

I hope you are feeling better by now, Allie. I've been off the site for a few days, so I am responding late.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Michele, Rebecca - I think a lot of people are feeling just 'down. It's perfectly normal at the moment. All our normal coping methods have been disrupted and the natural reaction is to draw back into ourselves. Doing less can be good for our sanity, I believe in an uncluttered mind and environment and as few commitments as possible, but when you notice yourself withdrawing from things that normally give you pleasure, it is a warning sign of depression. I have personal experience of this.
    It's important then to do some small thing to reach out, or start something new. Letting go of old obsessions that are not serving you any more is good and healthy. But we need new avenues of interest and commitment.
    DH and I are noticing these tendencies in ourselves recently. Doing less in the outside world (no dancing, singing, nights out, trips) is leading to us doing less and, on occasion, our mood drops. For us the grandchildren are always a tonic, and the sea is nearby. It is important sometimes just to do one thing to make yourself feel better and catch yourself before the 'dip' becomes permanent. A shared project that involves going outside, or seeing people at a distance is good. Ringing someone. Making a little effort to get out of your comfort zone.
    It's hard right now. My consolation is that we are all in the same boat, so must pull together. Self compassion is important, but so is making a conscious effort to break the down spiral.
    Lots of love to all our fellow sufferers. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I am not going anywhere until i here one way or the other....i dont know how long it takes for tests to come back i had it late monday afternoon..I would like to know.. maybe will call my drs office.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, zoom coffee klatch with B
    Bonus: Stroll with Shadow and T, delivered bulbs to B,
    Get to do: veg prep, mushroom zoom, submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Thursday: call Progressive adjustor, Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, shop for part D. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care October
    21: Let go of expectations of others and focus on what matters: This was impossible for me today. Rough morning. Teach me to ask Joe how he’s feeling. Be careful what you ask for. :’( After call from SIL and walk with friend, we both feel better this afternoon.

Rough start to the day. Joe’s eye’s hurting a lot today and it shows. His follow up isn’t Friday, it’s next Tuesday. Grasping after positive thoughts.

Machka fireplace cookery, wow! Even a meringue/pavlova? Or was that done in the electric oven that sneaked in at the end? Is there anything inside the Dutch Oven (like coals?) on which you place the pie and muffin tins for baking?
    Fae sorry I missed you back in the day! My hippie stomping grounds were the East Bay area and the Russian River. Finger pianos, now I hadn’t thought of them in decades ;)
    Lanette I’ve just added Depends to my grocery list, will tuck a few in my car’s emergency kit. Thanks!
    Heather how about a link to those leggings with pockets?
    Katla :love: Schooner’s good news. Just exactly what I needed to hear.
    SuziQ sorry I missed dinner. Have been craving chicken soup all day, bet yours was delish!
    Welcome @winsby and con VERY gratulations on your and your husband’s journey to health. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general local?
    Heather I’m so with you on hardwood charcoal vs briquettes. The first time Joe cooked for me it was beef short ribs over mesquite charcoal. It was delicious and when I asked him what he used to season it, he said “Nothing.” Not even salt and pepper. My mouth waters at the memory.
    Tracey “…I’m not a reliable source” Sounds like Rodger and Joe are brothers from another mother. My BIL can say exactly the same thing and Joe will listen to HIM. Sending good thoughts for his exam and hope he gets relief soon. if you liked Touched by an Angel, try to find Signed, Sealed, Delivered on the Hallmark channel. https://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/signed-sealed-delivered/about
    Beth Brr! Hope you’re getting a raise to cover all the extra work!
    Michele and Carol, I used to love decorating for Christmas, but as I’ve aged, not so much. Think I’ll make more of an effort this year, cuz as Beth says, we need it.
    Rebecca good for you for your self care. Look forward to the periodic pop ins with Athena Rose pics.
    Heather, "It is important sometimes just to do one thing to make yourself feel better and catch yourself before the 'dip' becomes permanent." Well said! It IS hard right now. I just want to get/give big hugs, meet friends at a brew pub for a pint, sing in church. [whiiine] If I didn’t have all of you on this thread I’d be lost indeed.

Shadow did surprisingly well on stroll with T today. Was skittish around things blowing in the wind and cautious around other dogs, but didn’t try to pull me off my feet, thanks to the gentle leader. Was our first outing, other than to the vets, since pandemic. I was a little tired so chose not to stay for dog group. Happy to end on a note of success. Really happy to return to a more cheerful husband.

So to end on a silly note, saw this and thought of you Rita, Rebecca @whidislander and Sharon @trucker743 ;)
    ccil39rc20uq.jpg
    Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    October: better than September.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh: 20, steps>5491=6063 vits=21 log=21 CI<CO=20 CI<250<CO=17 Tumble & Shadow 5=21 mfp=21 outside=19 up hill=19
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=14 play= sew=0
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Fae Sas She workout went great this morning with added stretching to work sore muscles. I also added more reps of compression bra deep breathing. I am building breathing depth and strengthing boob support muscles.

Rebecca I think I understand what you are saying. I did the same deleting my Facebook and dropping out of other groups. It is tiring with all the constant telling us how to think and what we as women should think and if we disagree our post gets censored. I didn't read your post that you are depressed, just disappointed with what social media has become. I feel the same, disappointed that since my lifestyle and independence, especially in thinking doesn't fit in with the mainstream flow and narratives, that I am shamed and shunned. All the friend suggestions of people I don't know and have no reason to trust. Many of them information thieves.

It is so hard to be an independent woman nearing age 70 and be told constantly what I should believe. I am told I should learn to hate rather than love. I don't fit in many social women's groups, because I have no husband, no children, no grandchildren, and last but not least, no dog.

I am thinking maybe I will just suffer the allergies and get a dog. Probably a beautiful Hungarian sheepdog and keep her hair full length and clean and name her Yak. I dreamed that last night. I dreamed I was walking Yak and all the neighborhood kids came out to love on her. They all walked for miles with us and child obesity was on the decline in my hood.

Fae practitioner and choreographer of the art of Fae Sas She
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka fireplace cookery, wow! Even a meringue/pavlova? Or was that done in the electric oven that sneaked in at the end? Is there anything inside the Dutch Oven (like coals?) on which you place the pie and muffin tins for baking?
    Barbara

The pavlova was in the electric oven. :) Among my attempts at more recent baking creations.

There is just a metal cylinder standing up inside the dutch oven to provide an area of hot air beneath the cakes etc.

M in Oz

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,751 Member
    Options
    Rebecca ...I don't know when you'll see this again, but I completely understand! Self-care is important and you don't need others telling you how to feel or react. I hope when you pop in again you'll share Athena photos!

Tracey ... love the sneak peak photos!

Barbara ... praying for Joe's eye ... As for a pay raise, Even with tightened budgets, I received a raise in May and, I found out later, because the Pastor declined his. I am treated well at my church. No complaints there.

Beth near Buffalo

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I still do Facebook because I am part of Grow with Care a gardening group, the Arboretum, Missouri Botanical Garden, One of my friends post funny comics, another bouquets from her garden, Moonpie about a dachshund that makes me laugh. I hide anyone who gets too political. I post flower and nature pictures and share any posts that made me laugh. So for me Facebook lifts my spirit.

Yesterday there was a cute one with a toddler who was trying to put a straw into a cup with a lid with a small straw hole. After a couple of tries she threw her cup out of frustration. The title was patience in action. I knew just how she felt with over 5 inches of snow so early this year, losing our power, and then our internet. Yes it was time for me to throw the cup too! It made me laugh at myself which is what I needed to do. Yes that one I did pass along in a share with friends.

Fae there are dogs out there that are more hypoallergenic. Anything with poodle, bichon frise are two such examples. As it turns out Drew with her greyhound fur is another good choice. There are many other breeds that fit the bill too!