Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Height-ism?

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I met my husband video dating (VHS). Yes, I am a dinosaur. He is my height 5’5”. Lucky for me if some girls did not date him due to his height.

wait. hold up.

im not young. im 43. am i understanding you met and dated sending VHS tapes to each other?

ive never heard of such a thing and i remember when VHS tapes came OUT.

I am 36 and I knew this was a thing when I was younger.

well ya learn something new every day LOL
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Bocch wrote: »
    I have experienced insults by women about me only being 5'8. Women do not want to be judged yet they often judge men and make comments their backs.

A good friend of mine is 5'8 and he's very popular with the ladies, another one is 5'7 and he also has a lot of success.

There is a general trend but in the real world it's much more nuanced than that.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I met my husband video dating (VHS). Yes, I am a dinosaur. He is my height 5’5”. Lucky for me if some girls did not date him due to his height.

wait. hold up.

im not young. im 43. am i understanding you met and dated sending VHS tapes to each other?

I learned something new too, I'd never heard of this. I'm going to guess it was never a thing here.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

wait. hold up.

I also remember when there were papers where people would post personal ads... some of the papers were entirely for classified ads, though many mixed buy/sell along with personal classifieds. These were papers in print, like the kind of paper made from trees.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

wait. hold up.

I also remember when there were papers where people would post personal ads... some of the papers were entirely for classified ads, though many mixed buy/sell along with personal classifieds. These were papers in print, like the kind of paper made from trees.

i remember those. I also remember some sort of phone type dating thing. i dont remember/know exactly how it worked but it was in the 90s- you left some kind of voicemail basically about yourself and people could listen to it and leave a message for you that you could retrieve. something like that i think. i had a friend that went on a few dates from that thing.
  • emmaclarksgt
    emmaclarksgt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Not everyone does it, but from my experience most people do.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,194 Member
    Options
    The guy that I am currently dating is shorter, yes SHORTER, than me (and NO, he’s not rich 😂😂😂). I’m only 5’7 so that tells you something.

Not ALL women judge men by height or physical appearance, and I would like to believe not ALL men do, either.

Do I personally think people are making a mistake by eliminating an entire selection of a prospective “forever mate” based on a physical characteristic? Absolutely. But that’s my opinion. I’ve never had a physical preference or bias when it comes to men and I’m glad. I’ve met some incredibly wonderful men in my life that I wouldn’t have if I immediately discounted them due to their physical appearance.

Well said!
    I told a friend recently of a friend who was looking for someone to go out with and she immediately discounted him because he doesn't have the look she likes. Well the look she likes was and probably still is stringing her along...so how's that working out?

I don't understand basing a relationship on the exterior....personally I'd rather learn what the person is like first.

I think too many are hung up on this look they have decided is what they like...perhaps it's why so many are unhappily still looking for "the one" because they let them go simply because they weren't the right height or look
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Just throwing out there, but if I had first "met" my wife through an online profile, I likely would have swiped past and never actually met her. But since we (almost literally) bumped into each other in real life, we will celebrate 20 years married this coming June.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Just throwing out there, but if I had first "met" my wife through an online profile, I likely would have swiped past and never actually met her. But since we (almost literally) bumped into each other in real life, we will celebrate 20 years married this coming June.

Just curious, and you don't need to answer if this is too personal, but what part of her hypothetical online profile do you think wouldn't have appealed to you? Conversely, what caught your interest at that first meeting?

Congrats on 20 years by the way!

eta I'm old and not an online dater, I only observe from the sidelines
  • Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
    Mark Twain

If they're a man of integrity I don't give a rat's @$$ about their height or their looks. A man of integrity is a national treasure.
  • AlanM_1974
    AlanM_1974 Posts: 40 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I'm just shy of 5'8" (172cm) and if I'd have succumbed to the grief that women on dating apps gave me for years on account of my height (ruined my self-esteem completely and it was the good people of MFP who gave me support and encouragement) I probably wouldn't have had the guts to ask my current gf out!
  • AlanM_1974
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Bocch wrote: »
    I have experienced insults by women about me only being 5'8. Women do not want to be judged yet they often judge men and make comments their backs.

Having a preference is not “judging”. No one will be everyone’s type and that’s okay.

No, but insulting someone based on their physical characteristics definitely IS judging.
  • emmaclarksgt
    emmaclarksgt Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It's judging when you insult someone. I have to admit that I used to judge guys by their height. When you walk into a room, the first thing you see are the tall guys. I'm glad I'm past that now, and I don't care if guys are short or tall. It's more important that you feel good next to someone.
    Even if you like tall people, you don't have to insult anyone by telling them because a lot of people are sensitive about their height. You can use this tool to see how tall or short someone would look next to you. It's a better way to do it.
  • KarmaKamen
    KarmaKamen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" so everyone is tall to me 😅 but even if I wasn't a shorty, I don't care about a person's height. Would you really want to date someone who doesn't like you based on height? I wouldn't.
  • Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm more curious as to what is considered tall, short or average in today's standards.

Last I checked the average American man is 1m77, which is 5'9.5.
  • AlanM_1974
    Options
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    I'm more curious as to what is considered tall, short or average in today's standards.

Last I checked the average American man is 1m77, which is 5'9.5.

The average male height in the UK/US is between 5ft 9 and 5ft 10.

According to women on dating apps, anything under 6ft (including 5ft 11.5) is total dwarfism - and they state in no uncertain terms that npbnody under 6ft is allowed to breathe the same air as them, even if they are between 5ft0 and 5ft4 themselves.