WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Allie ... I'm not certain what condition Fae was suggesting genetic counseling for, but DNA tests are a very effective way of discovering multiple health conditions. 23 and Me ... not so much as they're not specific enough.
    I had genetic testing over 20 years ago to determine if I had a blood clotting disorder and, more recently, my sons have had testing to determine which medications are appropriate to treat their health conditions.

Margaret ... I think holding on to the house for the time being makes sense as long as it is not financially difficult. You've had so much to deal with this year that taking your time to make a house decision is wise.

Breakfast...One of the reasons I am an intermittent faster (IF) is due to the fact that I seem to have no control if I eat breakfast. Forcing myself to stay within a 4-5 hour eating window has eliminated a lot of recrimination.

Monday we had a little over an inch of snow ... today it is nearly 70 degrees and sunny.

Fae ... glad to see you got out of your holiday funk.

Christmas Lights ... ok, so I confess, until just recently I thought that the flashing red/green light on the electric transformers were done for the holidays ... I have no idea what I was thinking.''

Santa/Elves ....While I didn't participate with elf on the shelf, I did use whatever opportunity presented itself to tell my sons that Santa's elves were watching. Both boys had down coats and occasionally feathers would push through, floating through the air. I had them convinced they were the elves' wings. LOL!

Rita ... hope you feel better

Beth near Buffalo

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,382 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Lisa- I am delighted to see your post. No-vember is thought provoking, particularly in an election year. I hope my votes at state, county and national levels help to result in good outcomes. :star:

Heather- You look happy. I’m delighted that you’re having a wonderful time. :bigsmile:

Pip- It looks like Yogi is patient with the news report. He’s a great dog. :smiley:

Fae- I have Teva sandals, too. I bought them in the boy’s section at REI several years ago. They fit perfectly and were much less expensive than the ones in the women’s section just across the aisle. Color me thirfty. :wink:

Heather- I agree with Pip -Beautiful! :star:

Flea- I watched election returns, too. I also saw my county election results. I like some of the candidates who won in my county and don’t know some of the others. :ohwell: My candidate for the Presidency was doing okay the last time I looked at the news reports. The other guy is not someone I can trust or admire. :noway:

I was out doing a bit of shopping this morning and ran into a yoga friend. They are having classes three days a week. I want to get in there on Friday and get back into the habits that keep me strong and happy.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Beth Genetic counseling for cancer. It is totally different than the DNA and other genetic test advertised online. It has become a very accurate science and you have to have a specialized counselor to chart your family history of cancer and then send off a saliva sample. The results show what cancers you are genetically at a high risk of getting. Very interesting study. The great thing about it is if say a 20-year-old woman comes from a family with a history of breast cancer (female or male) and/or prostate cancer in males, she should be tested and if she inherited this gene, she should get a mammogram every year. Without genetic testing, she plans to wait till age 40 and may discover a tumor in her early 30's which is likely to be an advanced stage. Genetic cancer testing is saving lives due to early testing which otherwise would have never been indicated.
    https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/genetics/understanding-genetic-testing-for-cancer.html
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    Beth- who knows but i will contact the Dr again... they want at least a $500 deductible so we shall see ..
  • Faetta
    Options
    Fancy That is awesome! Build slowly and steady and be consistent. Sounds to me like you are doing great for 2 months post-OHS.

Fae in Or.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,425 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday ladies! <3

Kim - I know I'm a couple days late but how nice of you to offer Dylan a place to bunk for a while. Those Jack o lanterns were awesome! How's your mom getting along after her surgery?

I've been going through my bookshelf, gearing up for another winter of re-reading the Jan Karon novels, the Ladie's Detective Agency series by McCall, everything I have by M. Beaton - Agatha Raisin & Hamish MacBeth.

Lisa - good for you pulling the plug on those time waster's, and "NO vember" is a super idea.

Heather
    - great photo! YUM!!! Now we can better envision you enjoying your outside meals at the restaurant.

I'm learning more about the fascinating gut microbiome. After not drinking alcohol for years, I finally understand why red wine is so good for a person - The good microbes which actually prevent obesity to some extent feed on it (the red part) and in turn it also tunes up our circulatory systems. I had half a dozen bottles of red wine stashed away and have been sipping a few ounces mixed with sparkling water each day, DH also has half a glass. It's the closest thing to a fruit he's had in months! I'm not that fond of it but many of the "Blue Zones" folks imbibe a little.

Red grapes do the same thing but they are so sweet plus I'm never sure what herbicides and pesticides were sprayed on them.

What a nice walk this morning - neighbor D and I suited up since it was threatening rain, but it was dry the whole time. The trees in our neighborhood are spectacular, colors remind me of beautiful autumn leaves in the east coast or midwest. Our huge sunset maple is just about finished dumping her leaves. Wind and rain right now will probably finish the job.

OK ladies, have a super rest of the day!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Fancy- Congratulations on a successful surgery. I hope all goes very well for you. :star:
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A short video of the line dance party.
    https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ZQGpRxLWA6ViwNdBBusxiw_Q
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Flea & Debbie- I remember having a hair trim in December 2019. I told my hair cutter that I planned to let it grow so she helped with a gentle shaping. It has been growing ever since. I haven’t had it this long since I got married 50 years ago. I like it and so does DH. :smiley:

Sheri- Do your best to choose healthy foods and be rigorous with portion control. This is like the tale of the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race to better health. :flowerforyou:

(((Rebecca)))- Good luck for your DH’s biopsy. :heart: Where will he be having his procedure? I will be sending prayers and good thoughts his way and yours. :heart:

Snowflake- When I was a child my mom took me to see Santa at Meier & Franks in Salem, OR. Santa was absolutely amazing and greeted each child, including me, by their first name. Years later I took my kids to see him in Portland, OR. The set was like the one I’d gone to as a child in Salem, and it was just as magical for them as it had been for me. That store has since been renamed Macy’s and Santa’s “set” has been donated to the historical museum in Portland, OR. I have great memories connected with this. :bigsmile:

Kim- You are a pumpkin artist!!! Beautiful work. :star: Dylan seems like a nice person. You are a kind & generous woman to let him stay with you. :heart:

Halloween decorations have been put away and I’ll be bringing down Christmas boxes between Thanksgiving & early December. I love the colorful lights during the dark days of December. They boost my mood. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Katla, we had to drive to University of Washington Medical Center off exit 169 on I-5. Left the house at 5:45am, bloodwork done at 8am, checked in at 10am for the ultrasound guided biopsy. Then have him in recovery for 3 hours. Got out at 3:30pm and had dinner at Mt. Vernon at a Mexican Cafe we like. Got home at 6:30pm. Long Day,
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Options
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Wow! Not on here for one day and over 100 posts and 5 pages! lol I shall read and comment as I go....
    KJ, I too despise Elf on the Shelf! Very happy that my kids were (way!) too old for that crap. I also always made sure that the really good stuff came from mom and dad, not Santa! Santa might bring a toy, but he also brought socks!
    Lisa, so happy for you that you are at least able to "join" us again! Hoping that your endurance starts picking up soon. Perhaps the next round of antibiotics will help.... Fingers crossed for you! I really missed your insight into so many subjects. And I love the pics of Levi!
    Rebecca, <3 the pics of Athena...... no words! Hope that all goes well with hubby's biopsy and the trip to get it done.
    Margaret, sorry to hear about your fence! We had some tremendous wind last week and the forest next door has a tree that concerns hubby and I as well as the rest of our strata. We have sent a few letters to the owner of said forest, but he has yet to do anything about the tree. We have it on good authority that since we have notified the owner of our concerns (including sending photos) that when it does come down he will have to pay damages. That will be cold comfort if that tree lands on our home!
    Kim, how nice that you are able to help Dylan find his feet. I hope you manage to find space for all of his and your stuff! The pumpkins look great!
    Carol, I too think that the pandemic is a very good reason for not gathering a whole bunch of people together inside. I hope that your family would understand, and feel the same way!
    Machka, you are absolutely right about the bubble we think we have and our actual bubble!
    Heather, congrats to your brother on his soon to be second great grandchild! I hope you can spend some time with your grandkids, even if from a distance.
    Debbie, congrats on going for a walk even though your walking buddy cancelled on you!
    Tracy, the headboard idea for the grandson sounds wonderful! I have hubby making a doll cradle for our granddaughter, the pattern is very cute and so far the actual cradle looks good too!
    Barbara, I hope you feel better soon!
    Well, I am all caught up, didn't take as long as I thought it would. lol
    My eating has been off the rails for the past few weeks, not sure what is wrong with my head these days, must be more stressed about Covid than I think I am. Tonight I brushed my teeth after dinner and before I gave in to the "wants". As in want a cookie, want a cracker, want a something else that I really didn't need as I was not hungry!
    Our Covid numbers have been good but the last week or so have been climbing rapidly. It is stressful, but I'm trying to just do what I can to protect my self. So, masking up whenever I am inside and can't social distance. This is pretty much just at work, if I'm in a store, I am masked. Our provincial health officer has given what I consider to be sensible guidelines and we are just trying to follow them. She has talked about our "safe six" which is defined as a group of six people that don't live in your household. So for instance, I work with 4 other people, so we can be defined as a safe six. When I'm at work, if I have to be closer to a customer (I work in a storage facility so one of my jobs is showing people the storage units and most of ours are accessed from inside the building) the mask is on, but I do take it off if I'm behind the counter as it's very easy to be distanced. And I'm not too worried about my coworkers as they also seem to be taking precautions.
    Sorry about the novel! Must go to bed now. Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

Evelyn, everything went well. Long day! He had no real sedation to speak of, so he was fine driving. I just can't drive anymore. The stress of it is just too much. He had no pain, and we went out for Mexian Food after we got to our favorite restaurant at Mt. Vernon area. I was SO tired when I finally laid my head down to sleep at 8:30pm. Getting up at 4am is a mother!
    <3 Rebecca

• Whidislander
    Options
    My eldest son whom we live with has informed us that he has to travel to another Air Base to help put a helicopter back together Dec 9th to Jan 9th. So 0 out of 3 sons home. I am a fish out of water panicky feeling. Husband said I don't have to decorate if I don't want to. So no decorating, no baking, no gift giving......what is this madness... *flop around on the carpet, my gills trying to breathe*. This year will be that year. You know that craaaazy year we tell our grandkids we endured. "During those Pandemic Years.......blah, blah, nonsense...."

My husband got his liver clipped off with a couple pieces parts, and it was a walk in the park. The hospital was overly cautious, and had him lying there in a recovery room for 3+ hours. He got a roastbeef sandwich, chips, and I munched on the apple he got. We should find out results in a week. They will mostly say his liver numbers look good, but he has a fatty liver. That we know already. It was kind of fatty when they put it in, but I am thankful. He would have not made it this far without it.

Hugs ladies!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Faetta
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Rebecca So glad things went well with your husband and sorry your holidays have gone to poo.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    Nothing like taking a hot shower and get jammies on..i have my stuff and Alfies packed will get food stuff together in the morning before i leqve.. then stop and get Homer out and then off to take care of Faith..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    R
  • Faetta
    Options
    Cathy Happy late birthday sister Scorpio and you look amazing and not even close to 68. I wish I had your energy!

Fae in Or.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,187 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Wednesday 4 November is Stress Awareness Day
    https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/stress-awareness-day/

"Stress Awareness Day is your opportunity to start looking after yourself and your life, and break down the individual stressors in your life. Failure to deal with stress in your life effectively can lead to serious health problems, including increased blood pressure, susceptibility to heart disease, and a decline in your immune system."

"The best way to celebrate Stress Awareness Day is to take the opportunity to remove the stress from your life for the day. Take the time to examine your life and find out where all the stressors lie and start looking into taking steps to remove them or find ways to mitigate them."

Over the past few weeks, I've been removing stressful things from my life and have replaced them with much more enjoyable relaxing things. Finished university. Dropped two committees. Took some time off work. Spent more time outside. Spent more time on my bicycle. Spent more time reading. Spent more time sleeping.

How about you?

pyxz3hxr1bzj.png

Machka in Oz

What are some ways you are destressing today? :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,187 Member
    Options
    kmhxtd48rqr5.png
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,811 Member
    Options
    Evelyn - I have been having “the wants” too. Unlike you, I have just been fulfilling the wants. I think 🤔 to the underlying stress that the whole world is feeling.

Kelly - thankfully Colin saw that picture! I love giving sentimental type gifts and fight each year to outdo myself. My Father in Law appreciates my gifts and is more vocal about it than anyone.
    Love how you gave Colin his phone.
    Hope you caught a nap!

Machka - I am the same way when I eat breakfast. I swear it’s a switch too.

Heather - so happy you were able to get out and enjoy a meal.

Debbie - laziness and boredom get me too. At work stress get me and all the stupid treats around seem to beckon.

Beth - “elves wings” 😂 Thats genius. My biggest thing was Santa didn’t come to a dirty house and I had my girls help clean.

Here is a funny little story - in 1995 my girls were 7 and 5, my FIL had Santa come to their house on Christmas Eve for the grandchildren. It was a later night than normal so we were concerned about getting the girls settled and still having things to do after they went to bed. On the way home Rodger saw the red lights flashing on a cell phone tower and pointed it out to the girls, he said “there’s Santa he’s getting close, you’ll have to go to bed quick when we get home”. Those girls were so fast getting to bed and going to sleep! The next summer Lauryn noticed the lights and said why is Santa here? Kaitlyn told her he must be checking in and that made for good behaviour for about two weeks!

Cathy - loved the birthday card from Carson, I bet that made you feel older than you did before you opened it.

Lanette - I love red grapes but haven’t found any that are very good for a long time.

Rebecca - glad the biopsy is done and over with. Would you not want to decorate for you and your husband to brighten your days? I understand not having anyone home but I do it for me no one else.

The year my Dad passed away I didn’t get back from NB until Dec 16th. He has passed on December 9th. At first I thought I wouldn’t decorate or do anything. By the 19th I had decided that wouldn’t do, Christmas was one of Dad’s favourite holidays as much as mine and I wouldn’t be honouring his memory by not decorating. I dug it all out and decorated and for the first time in years left it up until past his birthday on January 4th.

Tomorrow at work we are having a team building day and will not be doing actual work. It will make for a long day I imagine.

I was told today that my colour is Gold and that I should take that personality test. I’m not sure what test that is I’m supposed to do. I’ll have to look it up.

I think I’m going to take a bath, put my clothes jammies on and then watch some tv.

Tracey in Edmonton