December 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December Goal Do something every day....

12/1 2.50
    12/2 3.05 and deep mucked the chicken coop
    12/3 1.35
    12/4 4.06

Total 10.96

exercise.png

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo nope, Garmins Fitbits etc are notorious for not counting steps if you're pushing carts, strollers and so on. Mine also tends not to count if I'm carrying heavy shopping bags, because obviously I'm not swinging my arm enough. I've heard of people wearing their watch on their ankle for that reason.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo So glad that your able to run and not have problems. Sounds like Hal has a good plan for you.

@eleanorhawkins If I were really concerned about it, I might consider putting it on my ankle. I actually noticed it for the first time when I was at the nursing home, pushing patients to the sing-a-long on Sundays. (Something CoVID has taken away.) Anyway, I also notice that it counted steps when I was playing the piano, so I figured it probably was a wash. LOL

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 rest + yoga
    12-2 7k treadmill + resistance bands
    12-3 7k treadmill + yoga
    12-4 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-5 7k slow + yoga

December Total: 28k
    December Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k
    September Total: 176k
    October Total: 189k
    November Total: 180k

2020 Total through November: 1953k

LIVE countdown to 2020k in 2020: 39k remaining

Mostly cloudy, upper 30s F, with a light breeze from the north today. Saw some robins; a fox squirrel; a melanistic phase (black) gray squirrel; geese; and three sets of deer tracks where I hadn't seen any yesterday.

@polskagirl01 Have fun at your 5k race and do well!!!

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles - Completed 10-11
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020
    Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders -- Completed 9-29

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00; actual time 4:47:01
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, @Scott6255 and @shanaber!!!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 wrote: »
    Birthday HM this afternoon. I can feel myself getting old. 14 seconds over the 2hr mark.

*!* HAPPY BIRTHDAY *!*

I have moved from about 6 mph to 5.5 mph over last few months. I might not beat that young whippersnapper, but I can whip them in endurance!

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @shanaber!!! Glad you had a great birthday run, gnats notwithstanding. You make 65 look awesome.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @shanaber! I forgot we were birthday twins. It is a busy day for birthdays. Not only is it my real twin brother's birthday, but 2 other people in my family. Oh, and Walt Disney 😁

@quilteryoyo soooo sorry you are feeling bad 😔 I hope it isn't Covid and you get better before you go to see the doctor.

@AlphaHowls and @katharmonic those are some fantastic streaks!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @shanaber and @Scott6255 Happy birthday!

@quilteryoyo just shaking my head at the VA nurse... geez I wish we could all safely hide in a bunker until this is over. Hoping you don’t have the Rona or anything else serious.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Haven’t been posting about runs lately but I have been running.

Had a great long run Weds last, was thinking gee I’m getting used to these 8 milers, this felt good... and then my heel was super sore. Worried about lower hamstring attachment or maybe a stress fracture. The positive sign for a stress fracture there is supposedly squeezing the sides of your heel which should be painful. Nope, no pain. Squeeze harder. Nope, nothing, except it seems the tissue is sore on the back of my heel. Running on it doesn’t hurt. It mostly hurts when I take my shoes on and off. I’m thinking these shoes, which tend to ride up and down on the back of my heel unless I tie them really tight, just gave me a deep bruise. Ran a short easy run Thursday, seems not better, not worse. Ran a tempo 5k Saturday, again not better, not worse. It feels sore when flexing like tendon pain, but then none of the usual tendon pain things like jumping up and down on one foot hurt at all. I think I need new shoes but can’t get any, the ones I have now were secondhand on eBay and I can’t find another pair for sale.

So, something weird happened after today’s run. We were just doing our finishing sprint when we noticed a guy we had passed before stopped in the middle of the road. Was thinking, geez how annoying, why isn’t he getting out of the way so we can pass, when something rushed out of the underbrush and into the road towards him. I’m thinking, does he have a cat? But it’s not a cat. It’s a woodchuck. And it keeps charging him and then wandering away while acting like something might be off with it’s rear end. Finally goes off into the underbrush by the tracks, but stays there and lets me walk up to it (I was ready to run like hell if it moved towards me) and take a photo.

So what I know about rabies is first of all Shelby county hasn’t had a case in any animal in like 20 years - looked this up to be sure it’s still true and it is - and when we do have cases here they are usually in bats. And rodents rarely get rabies. So I look up woodchuck rabies and find that woodchucks are the exception to the rule about rodents, of rodents with rabies 93% are in woodchucks. Still it would be very unlikely. There’s a county rabies officer but the office isn’t open til Monday by which time this woodchuck will be long gone, and I am not up for heading back out to find and trap a possibly rabid woodchuck. However I plan to call and make a report. I’m hoping the little guy was just dazed and injured from a brush with a car or something.
    zuenvpeamkz2.jpeg
    Woodchucks are surprisingly well camouflaged.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks @noblsheep and @HonuNui. My hip feels better today.  Not 100% so definitely no long run for me tomorrow,  but it is much improved so I know I'll be back to running soon.

Happy Birthday @scott2655 and @Shanaber! Great birthday runs!

Oh @quilteryoyo I am so sorry you aren't feeling well.

@rheddmobile That woodchuck is hard to see. I hope he's ok. And I hope your heel feels better.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December Goal Do something every day....

12/1 2.50
    12/2 3.05 and deep mucked the chicken coop
    12/3 1.35
    12/4 4.06
    12/5 1.00...VERY leisurely walk around the property looking to see (and pick) whatever fruit is ripe. Anyone need avocado.....? Tangerine? Grapefruit?

Total 11.96

Happy birthday, @Scott6255 and @shanaber!

exercise.png