December 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Great race, @ContraryMaryMary !!!

@quilteryoyo well that shoud win an award for bad timing, although I'm not sure there's really any good time for catching a virus like this. Praying for a speedy, smooth recovery. You're in great shape and hopefully that will help. I hope your parents didn't catch it.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    1207-5.2k, total-10.2k goal-70k

Another shortish run in the morning. Was supposed to get 10km over the weekend but apparently that didn't happen. Welp. At least I'm doing something, which is better than nothing. The sun is coming out so late these days, I wasn't out until after 7:30 and still got treated to the nicest sunrise. Too cold to take pictures. Maybe some other time, like when spring rolls around...

@ContraryMaryMary Congrats on a great half! That looks like pretty challenging terrain.

@quilteryoyo Really sorry to hear that, the timing is awful. Hoping for a quick recovery and that the surgery doesn't get postponed too much. Thinking of you.

@shorkster Well, after C25K there is this other thing called Bridge to 10k...

@polskagirl01 Congrats on your race!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Oh no! So sorry! Hopefully you will have a mild case and the surgery postponment is minimal.

@ContraryMaryMary and @polskagirl01 great races!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo how is your dad doing? Worried about him since you thought the VA might be where you were exposed.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo oh no, so sorry! Hope it is a quick, mild case.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hope it's a mild case @quilteryoyo
    @marisap2010 hopefully, it was just gossip.
    nice looking races, people. high fives.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 rest + yoga
    12-2 7k treadmill + resistance bands
    12-3 7k treadmill + yoga
    12-4 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-5 7k slow + yoga
    12-6 7k slow
    12-7 7k easy + resistance bands

December Total: 42k
    December Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k
    September Total: 176k
    October Total: 189k
    November Total: 180k

2020 Total through November: 1953k

LIVE countdown to 2020k in 2020: 25k remaining

Cloudy, low 30s F, with an occasional snowflake riding the breeze from the north. Wasn't paying much attention to pace, and was surprised my time fell into the "easy" range.

Well done, @ContraryMaryMary It was nice of them to build that causeway just for you to run on.

@quilteryoyo You and your parents are in my thoughts and prayers.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles - Completed 10-11
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020
    Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders -- Completed 9-29

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00; actual time 4:47:01
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo it looks like viral load is a component of how "bad" you get covid, which is why wearing masks is important. It reduces the viral load drastically.

From my understanding the vaccine(s) will work this way as well so you may still get covid but it will be mild. I'm not a medical person at all so I could be mistaken. I've read a lot & listened to medical experts.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I just spoke to the race director. The shipping is $15 total and they plan to send the sweatshirt and first quarter of the year medals at first, then send the other medals quarterly so you get them throughout the year.
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    29.3/100 Miles

12/1: 5.1 Miles
    12/3: 3.6 miles
    12/4: 10 miles
    12/5: 7 miles
    12/7: 3.6 miles

Short pre-work run this morning. It was 40F this morning but felt colder for some reason. I've done a few runs t this temp but today I never took my gloves off and really never felt properly warmed up. At least it was short and then I could get in a warm shower!

@ContraryMaryMary Great race report. I love reading about all the places people race!

@skippygirlsmom That's interesting what your coach said about speed vs. distance. I don't have a coach so totally winging it over here and listening to what the more seasoned runners on this group have to say. Totally anecdotal, but I have definitely noticed this. I mix in a little speed work usually because my training plans will include it, but I almost think it's partially to keep me from getting bored and to challenge my mental blocks.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @martaindale Alana works for a coaching company and local race directors, they were my daughter's coach in high school, I'm not serious enough to hire a coach :) but she (and all of them) have become friends and are a great source of advice. I'm trying to work on my speed a bit now, Skip (my daughter) paced me on our 4 miles the other day, I didn't like it she's too fast ha ha.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Nice race @ContraryMaryMary . Glad you were able to have a real, in person one. It is a gorgeous place to be running. You did great! You were shining at the end. :wink:

@TheMrWobbly Great ride. Getting lost isn't always a bad thing.

@marisap2010 I hope they didn't transfer anyone who was positive and not let you know. That would be very irresponsible. Hoping you stay well.

I'm pretty sure dad has CoVID too. I'm trying to figure out how to get him, and mom, tested. He said about 2 this morning he almost called 911 because he couldn't breathe, but he got over it and went back to sleep...so that's good. He said food started tasting funny and he had no appetite starting Saturday, which is when my symptoms started to. Therefore, the VA doctor is probably the culprit. I'm hoping the fact that we were all masked that the exposure was minimum. I really don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I can hope. I'm so much more worried about mom and dad than I am myself. Please send all of your positive vibes and prayers this way. We could use them.

Here in Memphis there is a hotline to call if you are over a certain age or have health issues to get “a treatment which is effective in the early stages”. I’m assuming monoclonal antibodies, but there are a number of treatments which are effective early but not after severe symptoms develop. At your dad’s age he should definitely not be waiting around to see if he gets really sick - call his doctor, your health department, look online at your county office, etc. and find out what resources are in your area. Also get a finger oxymeter overnighted to you from Amazon if your doctor didn’t give you one. That will help you know whether “feel like I can’t breathe” is time to go to the ER or just regular congestion. Also, if your mom doesn’t have symptoms yet, can you and dad use a different bathroom, etc, and isolate from her? It may seem pointless but there are many cases of family members not giving it to each other despite living together.

Praying hard for you and your family!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Only problem is, I would eat the donuts too. In fact my MFP log got bombed yesterday when I was surprised by hubby & son bringing me one from downtown. It was so good though.

@quilteryoyo even if it wasn't the VA doctor, I don't get what the point was for putting patients at risk of catching whatever it was. Even if it wasn't COVID19, you'd think any respiratory illness could be a problem for people who already have some reason to come see a doctor. Perhaps a call to the office to let them know maybe doc should be retested (or just stay home when sick, why do we have to say this out loud to a doctor in 2020 of all times)?
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I agree with you about @quilteryoyo and COVID what doctor comes to work sick, seriously. About the donuts, I told her no matter what I say you are not to bring home any donuts, well unless I'm crying, then bring me one. She LOVES their sugar mixed with a little coffee so she's really trying hard not to have one every day. ha ha