• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💙🧡🤎🤍
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Barbara - I was so enthused by your compliment about my flowers that I popped in at the flower shop when I went out to buy bread and milk. I love going in there because it is owned by two gay guys who are always up for a chat. :D Bought some lovely pink and white ones. They sell very nice cards as well.
    The shops around the corner are just like an old fashioned village. Butcher, deli, general store, flower shop, two hairdressers, newsagent, beautician, estate agent, two cafés. Even a car repair workshop. It's the reason we wanted to move to this area of Hove. If you remember, this house was the third one we tried to buy within a couple of hundred yards of each other. Third time lucky. The whole process took two years, with disappointments on the journey. We are thrilled to be living here. Most of the time it is very peaceful with lots of birds and birdsong. Very friendly people.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Machiavellian!
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Took my car to the shop for the check engine light and oil change. Found out that there were multiple things wrong or going wrong. Paid over $600 to do the oil change and get them to do enough to get the light to go off. The cost for the other upcoming things would be about three times what the car is worth(that is what husband says) SO, he stopped at the Nissan dealership and a few HOURS later, I drove home in a new(new to me) 2017 Nissan Sentra with just 16000 miles on it- was a lease return.
    6babwmxyjcdx.png

It is going to be great to drive a car that is basically brand new and not have to worry, especially when I am making the extra trips to see my parents like I am planning on doing.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Congratulations! It's better to have a car in which you have confidence if you're doing a lot of driving. Enjoy the new ride!

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »

Tina “Charade” is another very fave.

I love that one too! When we were in Rome many moons ago, we made our friend take us to places that were in the movie Roman Holiday. It was fun for me, but the other two were lost, though they are significant sights. They just didn't understand why I had them running all over the city to very specific places.

Tina
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Took my car to the shop for the check engine light and oil change. Found out that there were multiple things wrong or going wrong. Paid over $600 to do the oil change and get them to do enough to get the light to go off. The cost for the other upcoming things would be about three times what the car is worth(that is what husband says) SO, he stopped at the Nissan dealership and a few HOURS later, I drove home in a new(new to me) 2017 Nissan Sentra with just 16000 miles on it- was a lease return.
    6babwmxyjcdx.png

It is going to be great to drive a car that is basically brand new and not have to worry, especially when I am making the extra trips to see my parents like I am planning on doing.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Congratulations! It's better to have a car in which you have confidence if you're doing a lot of driving. Enjoy the new ride!

Tina in CA

Thank you Tina and everyone else!!
    It really will be nice to have something I know won't give me any trouble. The drive to my parents is just over an hour but about half is back roads with a little town with no real help and I am going up by myself.
    My husband totaled up what he has spent on the Honda in the past five years- over $8000 so he was more than ready to get rid of it.
    The only thing that irritated me was a little thing(and he still doesn't get it) was when the sales man was saying to me, that Oh, I was lucky that my husband was buying me a new car. NO- our money goes into the same bank accounts so WE are buying the car. He has a newer car- Mercury Milan so this is for me to drive.
    That and him constantly saying, ok, we are almost done...... hours later we finally got to go home. I was starving. Was not planning on sitting at the dealership for almost 3 hrs

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Sue in WA: It is good to see your post. It is great that your niece came to take your mom to CA for Christmas. I admire your ability with music. :star:

Terri: I am very happy with my new dentist. She is excellent. :bigsmile:

Machka: Three Cheers! You have met an important goal! You and your DH both look proud and happy. Congratulations!!! :star:

Barbara & Lanette: I have used Vitamin D3 for years as a mood booster. This is new information and encouraging. Thank you for the mouthwash video!!! :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Our critical care teams will get vaccinated early according to news from the Governor’s office. I see them as essential and applaud that decision. I am looking forward to vaccination sometime in January. For now, masks and social distancing are working well for us. I miss social gatherings with friends and I miss yoga classes. I’ll be ready to go when the gyms & health clubs are allowed to reopen. :star:

Debbie in Napa Valley: Congratulations on your new car! Enjoy! :smiley:

Faetta: I may have been at fault with the disagree button, but did not do it on purpose. My hand twitched at just the wrong time. I am sorry if it caused you sadness or embarrassment. I was not able to undo it. I tried without success. I certainly did not do it on purpose. :embarassed:

Regarding vaccinations: As a child I got my small pox vaccination as soon as they were available. My parents were diligent about vaccinations. I still have a vaccination scar on my arm. I have a longtime friend who had polio as a child and wound up with a bit of a limp. I look forward for all of us to be protected by the new vaccines to protect us from Corona Virus.

I am ready to bring our living Christmas Tree into the living room, and I hope today will be the day. It is a joy to set the tree on the chest in front of our window and then have the fun of getting out treasured ornaments and placing them on the tree. The light strings on the tree make me happy. This time of year almost any light makes me happier but Christmas lights are fun.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Fae - (((hugs)))

My DDIL sent us videos of the kids' end of term concerts. They were online only. Oh how fabulous! :D
    My grandkids go to a Bilingual School in Hove. This was chosen by lack of options as the standard schools were full at the time. It has proved to be wonderful! A very good school with the added benefit of learning a language (Spanish) at a young age.
    Bea is in class Colombia and Edie is in Ecuador. Not sure about Max.
    The videos were huge fun with Bea loving every moment. :p She is a natural performer. <3 Last year Edie did not enter into the spirit, so I was pleased to see her participating.
    They have employed a Spanish au pair for a couple of years, and when they went to Majorca the locals complimented the kids on their accents. :p

I have ordered Edie glue and sequin threads to go with her wooden hearts. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Fae you are correct when you go back and hit another button that will void what you put the first time. This happens to me when I am torn between given a hug and a like. It will not let me do both. So if I change the like to a hug the like disappears. You are also right the disagree could have come from anyone because when do get visitors who don't post but read what we say or as others said someone could have hit it accidentally and do not know they did hence they don't change it. Only they can change it.

You also pointed out this negativity on other sites so this is why this the only forum I read and post on in fitness pal. I tried posting outside here and you can get very negative people and posts. I think unfortunately when people believe they are anonymous they say more disagreeable comments.

Glad to see your post.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    My dad got hacked by ransomware and he gave his banking info to the "tech support" number that showed up. I got him to call the bank but they wanted a password that he doesn't have so they wouldn't talk to him. We are so vulnerable and now he feels bad so he is hoping the whole thing will blow over. My stomach is in knots. This part of caregiving is terrifying.
  • sh0tzz99
    edited December 2020
    Options
    My dad got hacked by ransomware and he gave his banking info to the "tech support" number that showed up. I got him to call the bank but they wanted a password that he doesn't have so they wouldn't talk to him. We are so vulnerable and now he feels bad so he is hoping the whole thing will blow over. My stomach is in knots. This part of caregiving is terrifying.

The bank should be able to verify his identity another way. If the front line support won't, ask for a manager and explain the situation. Keep going up the chain until someone helps. Keep notes of names, times, and dates you speak to people.

I am very surprised they wouldn't talk to him. They are ultimately responsible for fraudulent charges, especially if they are reported that quickly.

Tina
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Machka- a big round of Conratulations!!! Hip Hop Hoorah..
    Stunning pick of you and hubby....thats a framer..
    Me i got out for my INR bloodwork and stopped to see the pups at Toms house.. they were sooo excited...and of course it was great to see them...
    But wow it takes alot out of you.. going out..
    So came back and took a nap,my brother is out riding around the snow covered yard on his quad to make paths for his dog lol
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Faetta wrote: »
    I refuse to accept the nonownership of negative actions

I made a post in good faith about the disagree button and my disagrees jumped from 12 to 32 overnight. I received a couple of patronizing and insulting responses to which I answered in general, labeling the kind of people that would participate in such behavior. This was a violation of the strict forum rule about negative labeling even though it was in general and to no one personally. I received a warning.

My land!! I do not believe any of those disagrees were from regular contributors here. I have to believe you were being trolled by someone (some people) who do not regularly participate in this particular thread. I know the women in this group, not super well, but I have participated for a few years now, and I can say confidently that they would never do that. This is a very supportive thread, even when we don't agree about everything. No one would purposefully hurt another person, and 32 disagrees is purposeful, in my opinion, which makes me think that they are from trolls.

<hugs> Fae.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Tina thanks, that's good advice. The frustrating thing is that he won't take advice from me. Never mind my computer science degree. All I can do is vent!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Machka Congratulations on your accomplishment! <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    I'm hoping to sleep better tonight. :) I have been so annoyed with my son for offering, then dilly dallying with the Christmas purchases. I have bought some things, told him what I have bought and he is happy with that. He will get a few more bits next Monday and bring them round Tuesday for wrapping. :D
    I know it's ridiculous to get annoyed by it all, as I know the enormous pressure he is under from work etc, but if he could just have told me what she wanted I could have got it done and dusted. No worries. The usual problem of crossed wires! :# Of course I have nothing better to do than sit and ponder and agitate my brain. ;):p
    Feel better now.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Barbie, Received your Christmas card today and loved it. Loved the stickers too! Your card is #21, as I have been punching holes in the top and stringing with twine, and making two swags each entry, from the front door to living room, and from the living room to dining/library. Each seem to handle 5 cards nicely, plus its nice to look at them when I am on the couch.

I have been on a classic movie kick for awhile now. Husband and I watched "A Touch Of Mink", with Doris Day, Cary Grant, Audrey Meadows, and lots of baseball players of that era. My husband got a kick out of it! "Oh that's Mickey Mantle and that's Yogi Berra! Cary Grant is so suave, and classy, love his movies! I spend as much time looking at all the beautiful clothes as I do following the movie. <3

Tomorrow I want to look for the Debbie Reynolds movie, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown". Plus watch a sappy Christmas movie.

I wanted to look for a Lauren Bacall movie, but most you have to buy or rent. It's interesting to see each actors movies all listed out. I can say into my Xfinity remote, "show me Cary Grant" and there are a lot of movies free to me, yet Lauren's forget about it. Maybe in their contracts, or wills, it says that movies can't be out there for the general public, who knows.

I watched "Hans Christian Anderson" with Danny Kaye yesterday. And yes I sang along. "Inch Worm, Inch Worm....." He's always been one of my favorites. I looked up Bing Crosby and BOY there are a lot of movies that start out with "The Road To......" I like the one to Morocco, but I haven't seen a lot of the others. :-)

Enjoy the evening all!
    Rebecca

I love the classics. I used to spend New Year's Eve at home watching them with my cats. It was very nice. Danny Kaye is one of my favorites too, as are Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

Tina

Audrey Hepburn is wonderful in that westeren with John Wayne, "Rooster Cogburn", and of course so endearing with Peter Fonda in "On Golden Pond". I have a tendency to watch movies over and over, like a good book, but for your eyeballs:-)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Rebecca, Thanks for letting me know that you got the Christmas card. You're the only person who got a card from me. I loved that you wrote a personal message and enclosed a little ornament cut out. Your display of cards sounds great.

:) I listened to "A Christmas Carol" as an audio book during my walks. Now I am watching several versions of the movie starting with "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol". In only an hour it stayed close to the original story and used a lot of the language of the book, and it has some great songs.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Well, I buy the cheap 20 pack of cards for a $1 at the dollar store, I always feel like I need to write MORE <3 I bought 4 20 packs for next year today. All the cards I receive this year will be cut up for bookmarks or to just take on the cards next year. My husband just rolled his eyes at me when I told him I needed to go to the Dollar Store today before they all get sold out. I told him flat out, "Card writing and letter writing keeps me outta YOUR hair dear, so your welcome"! Haaahaa!
    Rebecca