GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,829 Member
    Options
    Current progression program is working, slowly but surly. Back squats all 5x3 @275. So I’ll move to 280 next week. Not an impressive weight for many. I’ve always struggled with squats.

Dude, stop right there! It's healthy to draw inspiration from others' achievements, healthy to be competitive since it drives us to push ourselves harder than we otherwise may. But you need to draw a line in the sand when it comes to comparing YOUR numbers against anybody else's. Good OR bad. Does it make me a better lifter than you because my "light" leg workout each week has 4 sets of 15 at 315? Am I a loser lifter because the guy at the bench press station right next to mine was benching over 100 pounds heavier than me and for more reps? The answer to both is NO. Your only comparison is yourself; how much weight did you lift the last time you did this same workout? Did you use better form, for more reps/sets/weight? Did you overcome fatigue and scheduling conflicts to simply get in the workout in the first place? When you look at yourself in the mirror, do you slouch in shame because you know you could've tried harder, or was today's effort the best today had to offer?

Believe me, I understand how easy it is to belittle yourself as somehow not being good enough in the weight room. I personally battle myself every time I think how when I was 30 I could lift THIS much, where now at 46 I'm lifting less. I have to refocus to NOW, how am I performing NOW.
    That's why i do not use those calculators anymore, and i do 1RM test after each mesocycle. And then restart my program using those numbers.

I used to do mesocycles, lifting based on % of my 1RM. For me this led too often to feeling like I was lifting heavier than I was ready, simply because an arbitrary calendar said it was time. I now prefer to work instead with rep ranges; when you hit the max reps two weeks in a row, you're ready to increase weight. It may take two weeks before you increase weight again, it may take two years. But I feel this gives me better control over lifting as I feel that particular day; feel weak, lift lower; feel like a monster, go for it!
    I personally use wraps. 🤷‍♂️

As do I, but only for deadlifts/rack pulls. I see a couple guys at the gym who use them all over the place, including different machines or cables.
    Not sure how i missed this, but i definatly want to be a beta-reader for you

You bet! Fire me a PM with the email address you would prefer I send a word doc to. You'll have to forgive the formatting, it's not as neat as it will be come publishing time.

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,220 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Current progression program is working, slowly but surly. Back squats all 5x3 @275. So I’ll move to 280 next week. Not an impressive weight for many. I’ve always struggled with squats.

Dude, stop right there! It's healthy to draw inspiration from others' achievements, healthy to be competitive since it drives us to push ourselves harder than we otherwise may. But you need to draw a line in the sand when it comes to comparing YOUR numbers against anybody else's. Good OR bad. Does it make me a better lifter than you because my "light" leg workout each week has 4 sets of 15 at 315? Am I a loser lifter because the guy at the bench press station right next to mine was benching over 100 pounds heavier than me and for more reps? The answer to both is NO. Your only comparison is yourself; how much weight did you lift the last time you did this same workout? Did you use better form, for more reps/sets/weight? Did you overcome fatigue and scheduling conflicts to simply get in the workout in the first place? When you look at yourself in the mirror, do you slouch in shame because you know you could've tried harder, or was today's effort the best today had to offer?

Believe me, I understand how easy it is to belittle yourself as somehow not being good enough in the weight room. I personally battle myself every time I think how when I was 30 I could lift THIS much, where now at 46 I'm lifting less. I have to refocus to NOW, how am I performing NOW.
    That's why i do not use those calculators anymore, and i do 1RM test after each mesocycle. And then restart my program using those numbers.

I used to do mesocycles, lifting based on % of my 1RM. For me this led too often to feeling like I was lifting heavier than I was ready, simply because an arbitrary calendar said it was time. I now prefer to work instead with rep ranges; when you hit the max reps two weeks in a row, you're ready to increase weight. It may take two weeks before you increase weight again, it may take two years. But I feel this gives me better control over lifting as I feel that particular day; feel weak, lift lower; feel like a monster, go for it!
    I personally use wraps. 🤷‍♂️

As do I, but only for deadlifts/rack pulls. I see a couple guys at the gym who use them all over the place, including different machines or cables.
    Not sure how i missed this, but i definatly want to be a beta-reader for you

You bet! Fire me a PM with the email address you would prefer I send a word doc to. You'll have to forgive the formatting, it's not as neat as it will be come publishing time.

Thanks for the inspiration brother. I too only use wraps on dead’s or racks.
  • ClownsScareMe
    ClownsScareMe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    my achievement is today... its the first day of my journey
  • nossmf
    Options
    Welcome, welcome, welcome @ClownsScareMe!! Just getting started doing ANYTHING is often the hardest part!
  • ClownsScareMe
    ClownsScareMe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Welcome, welcome, welcome @ClownsScareMe!! Just getting started doing ANYTHING is often the hardest part!

thanks i appreciate it! i wish all of you a great journey in 2024!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,649 Member
    Options
    my achievement is today... its the first day of my journey

Welcome here! Looking forward to seeing how things go for you!

I've been rather quiet the last month and a half of 2023. Not overly happy with how things have gone for me lifting wise, but life wise has been pretty awesome, so winning overall.

It's time, however to be back. I'm not overly happy with my plan for total body workouts... maybe I should just go back to stronglifts until I hit max again and then resume my former programming. I'm not sure.

I really do hate how my brain derails me when I deviate from plan. it's something I always have to battle.

Anyhoo... Happy 2024 folks! Hope you all had a fabulous holiday season and a safe new year and I'm looking forward to what the next year brings!

Also thank you to all those who engage with this thread from time to time. It's so great to see the camaraderie that has built and the encouragement that is constantly being shown. You are all superstars!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,220 Member
    Options
    Tallawah_ wrote: »
    Happy New Year Everybody. Starting 2024 right!...my grandaughter is helping with my shoulder press! 😉

l4bi74g8f3if.gif

Beautiful brother! Happy New Year!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Rather jealous...my boys are busy getting their careers started, and my girls are still in school (one high school, one college). My wife wants grandkids yesterday, but I'm willing to wait a few years.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Happy New Year Everybody. Starting 2024 right!...my grandaughter is helping with my shoulder press! 😉

l4bi74g8f3if.gif

Love it! Babies love helping with workouts! I used to get a lot of core work flying them around on my legs and feet! Haha

Happy new year and congrats on the beautiful grandbaby!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Well... First workout of 2024 done. Already feeling it. 🤪

phye1yndmcd3.gif

Going to try to commit to two workouts a week for now. Really struggling mentally with some stuff and having a hard time getting of my couch and out from under the covers into the dark cold-ish night.

But I have to do this.
  • R3d_butt3rfly_
    R3d_butt3rfly_ Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

l4bi74g8f3if.gif

🥰🥰🥰
  • nossmf
    Options
    When my kids were little, they found it hilarious to sit on my feet, wrap their arms around my calves, and serve as ankle weights while I moved around the house. Only problem was I was fat and out of shape at the time, lol. If my future grandkids try the same trick, I intend to be strong enough to easily swing them around at the ends of my legs as I walk all over the place, up stairs and down.
  • nossmf
    Options
    But I have to do this.

You can always blame us, your rabid fan base. 🏋️‍♂️💪
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,405 Member
    Options
    When my kids were little, they found it hilarious to sit on my feet, wrap their arms around my calves, and serve as ankle weights while I moved around the house. Only problem was I was fat and out of shape at the time, lol. If my future grandkids try the same trick, I intend to be strong enough to easily swing them around at the ends of my legs as I walk all over the place, up stairs and down.

Get your grandkids some helmets as well 😂
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,913 Member
    Options

Get your grandkids some helmets as well 😂

And body armor. Can you imagine being swung around by @nossmf ? That’s a compliment btw.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Body armor maybe, but if they're related to me then helmets should be considered not required. I remember growing up having the following conversation more than once:

"What happened?"
    "I hit my head."
    "Oh, then you're fine..."
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Body armor maybe, but if they're related to me then helmets should be considered not required. I remember growing up having the following conversation more than once:

"What happened?"
    "I hit my head."
    "Oh, then you're fine..."

my boyfriend played football when he was a teen. after his 15th concussion the coaches told him to just not tell anyone if he felt dizzy after a hit because then he'd be taken out of the game. "You'll be fine" they said. sigh.

Take care of those melons, guys! haha
  • nossmf
    Options
    My mother was paranoid about me getting injured playing contact sports when I was in school, so no football or wrestling. To be fair, at the time I was a string bean which would likely be snapped in half if I did try out for the football team, but it still irked me to be told "no" rather than allow me to come to the same conclusion through discourse. She did allow me to join the track and cross country teams, where I earned my letterman's jacket.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    My mother was paranoid about me getting injured playing contact sports when I was in school, so no football or wrestling. To be fair, at the time I was a string bean which would likely be snapped in half if I did try out for the football team, but it still irked me to be told "no" rather than allow me to come to the same conclusion through discourse. She did allow me to join the track and cross country teams, where I earned my letterman's jacket.

I don't blame her. My bf loved his football days, but those concussions came at a cost. Docs have told him that it wouldn't be surprising if he died of an aneurism or stroke before he's 65. Too much brain trauma. :(