WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,049 Member
    Options
    Dream house would have a floor plan like sons's house with an attached gargage, slightly bigger bedrooms, Laundrry in mud room off the kitchen. His house has a mainfloor bath and two bedroom/office on main level. Our home I would like a mainfloor bath with tub and laundry on main level off kitchen. I would also like a better access to outdoors from kitchen like son's house has. I would not like extra storage because it just encourages me to hold onto things.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I like my current house that I share with DD. It is all on one level. It has a large central area that includes living and dining area, entry way and guest bath, coat closet near front door. It has large kitchen with lots of counter space and dining area. there is laundry area with a large sink and room for boots, coats etc. Needed since we come in that way from animal areas. Some of the cupboards are very high and basically unusable. It has a walk-in pantry. On each side of the central area are bedroom areas. I have a bedroom, large bath and sitting room. there is a walk-in closet, very large. Bath has walk-in shower and soaker tub, with 2 sinks which I now don't really need but did when DH was alive. My DD has the other side which has 3 rooms and a bathroom. One room is her bedroom, one a guest room when needed otherwise hers and one is a library with floor to ceiling shelves and small walk-in closet. We have the computer in there also. The one thing I would change is that it is a modular home so nothing is standard and very expensive to replace as we found out with the water heater but overall I think it is a good age-in-place home.

Allie - Hope you get to bring Alfie home soon.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: It is great to see you posting! :smiley:

Sue: It is great when a person truly enjoys their home. It sounds like you are lucky enough to enjoy yours. :star:

I called an old friend today and we had a lovely chat. She is happy and doing well. She works at the school district where I used to teach. It was good to hear her voice. :heart:

I took my broken glasses in to the optician office within my eye doctor’s building. They said they’d send them to us, but it hasn’t arrived here so far. I’d really like to get my glasses back. DH says I need to be patient. :ohwell:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    -
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,734 Member
    Options
    Barbara - I don't know if it will be the same rules down there as here, but we couldn't receive our Covid Vaccine if we had had another vaccine of any kind within 28 days, and we can't get one for 28 days afterward either. I noticed you mentioned the Shingrix Vaccine so thought I would mention it.

I don't think I've dreamed large enough for my dream home. I will have to give it some thought with the mindset that "if money were no object".

Viv - I clutter flat surfaces too. I don't know how it happens either.

Ok, get to go home from work now, will catch up later on page 64.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Today was nonproductive! Tried to hook up new laser printer. It didnt work, boxed it up and sent back to staples. Different model should be at shop tomorrow. That was an hour and a half wasted. Moved to setting up the receipt printer- rrrrrrrr! Still not working. So frustrating! Tomorrow is a new day.

Machka- when we moved in together, my closet was in the guest room and I used the hall bathroom most of the time. Since then we added a room off our bedroom with a walk in closet that is half mine. Yes, only half. The other half is his hunting gear. I was thinking that two sinks would make things nicer when we have guests. But.....then someone else said something about two bathrooms even on vacation. I thought about that statement and realized that we have each almost always had our own bathrooms. Hotels are usually the worst fitting his stuffs and my stuffs. Maybe a single sink will work in there. The two things i know will be leaving are the carpets and the tub. My bathroom has walking shower and heated tile floor. I will try to post pictures when i get on computer.

Need to put away dinner and clean kitchen, then will post pics.

Healing thoughts to those hurting.
    Smiles for all as you are AWESOME!

Kylia in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Regarding stairs - I would love to be on all one level for my husband's sake. Because his left leg was affected by the brain injury, and because of his BPPV (basically dizziness), and because of his double vision, getting up and down stairs is really difficult for him. We have way too many levels here!

Regarding sinks - I would not want a kitchen without double sinks! In fact, I'd probably add a third sink for food prep.
    But I've been puzzled about the second sink in bathrooms. I'd prefer the extra counter space, or even better, a tall cupboard to put things in.

Regarding bathrooms - 1 and 1/2 is all I'd want for the 2 of us. Any more than that just means more to clean.

Regarding pools - I would not want a full swimming pool but maybe some kind of lap pool would be nice.

@kevrit ... I like the screened outdoor room too. You reminded me of a room like that at a place I worked long ago and it was fabulous in summer. I'd go out there and work.

This is an old photo of what we've currently got with its many levels. The trees and bushes are quite a bit bigger now!
    hcyejw56vwmx.png

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,049 Member
    Options
    I did end up putting grips on my boots to help with all the ice. The boots I have just needed more for all the ice we have on the sidewalks here. It is has made it much better. I still have to be careful even with the grips because it is so icy here. At least we got out for a good walk today. Both Drew and I took a long nap as a result.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    9vnvhuifg6ls.png

Except for finishing the To Do list. Whose To Do list can be completed in a weekend?? I'm hoping I might be most of the way through mine by the end of the year!

M in Oz
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,734 Member
    Options
    Kate - I have gone through the 20 or so albums of my Mother’s and Grandmother’s. I kept most pictures that were labelled with who they were. I threw most landscape, parade, gathering pictures away. I did the same with my own albums. Looking at pictures from 20 years ago I couldn’t name some children I had taken pictures of, didn’t know where the picture was taken and chucked them. I do print pictures still as I’m a scrapbooker (lapsed right now) but I’m more selective about what I print.

Machka - I can relate! I miss storage. I have become quite creative but it’s never enough.
    I don’t understand the two sink thing either. I have no interest in it. I do wish I had a second bathroom though. We make out well most of the time as we aren’t trying to leave or use it at the same time but sometimes we both “need” it at the same time.
    My to do list couldn’t be completed in a weekend either.

Heather - I love how you describe your house. I remember when you were going through the search for it.

Kylia - I get pissy too when my mind readng skills are on the blink and Rodger wants me to do something a particular way. It’s why we don’t do a lot of projects together.

Allie - I’m sorry you put in a tough night. Are you allowed to drive so soon after your surgery and heart issues? My MIL wasn’t allowed to drive for 6 months when she had her heart attack. They actually put a medical suspension on her license so if she did and was caught would have had to pay a huge fine.

Lisa - Egg wants to make sure you’re still there. Sort of like reaching for a spouse in the night. That’s really cute.

Katie - I took a screenshot on your favourite people for decluttering. The Sentimental Clutter intrigued me as this is my #1 area that I can’t be ruthless.
    I think it comes back to my childhood, my Mother kept a floor so clean you could eat off of it, there was never a dirty dish left in the sink after a meal, overnight or especially if she was leaving the house, her laundry never piled up and she had the whitest whites, but she was terribly messy. One reason is because there was no storage when we were growing up. There wasn’t a closet in the house, it had open shelf cupboards and a dirt basement. She would keep newspapers, magazines, trinkets but give away or throw away things that were bought for her, things that were inherited, none of that stuff mattered. I used to cry over some of the things she threw out. My whole bedroom except the bed came from my Great Grandmother’s. I have diaries from both Grandmother’s, Mom’s and Dad’s. All of this plus dishes, vases, jewelry and the rest of the sentimental paper and pictures (some tin but labelled) fill my hope chest, several boxes and a china cabinet. That’s what I need with.

Kim - I loved when I got a bigger bathroom after our first apartment. To enter you had to step into the shower stall and turn around to be able to shut the door and you couldn’t sit straight on the toilet without hitting your knees on the shower.

Kim - that’s a great idea for Kelly.

Carol and Katla - I’m on both sides of the fence on stairs or not. I like being all on one floor but also miss some of the stairs. I think if I went to stairs again it might only be one story with a basement, not two story with basement.

Rita - I love a porch, great idea

I took my car in for a radiator flush and new headlights today. My regular car guy told me the radiator flush should correct my heater not working. They called me to tell me I needed new front tires and had a wheel bearing in the back, so the $250 I was expecting ended up being $1636. It’s been an expensive week as I also found out our dishwasher needed replaced yesterday. It couldn’t be fixed for much less than the price of a new one. So it’s be delivered tomorrow. Thankfully, Rodger can install it himself.

My arm is still quite sore from the 2nd dose of vaccine, I think I’ll go take some Tylenol and have a bath.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    6j3ukhog38vn.jpg
    This is my bathroom. We redid it about 12 years ago. I love the high sink and the big shower. The heated floor is nice too. The only downside is it is slippery when wet!
    2gewlgwdjj0m.jpg
    This is the master bathroom. Typical late 60's no door. We painted about 7 years ago as the wallpaper he put up in the late 80's was peeling off. The sink is low and the tub needs to go. I dislike cleaning it and it hasn't been used as a tub in the past 10 years.

We do have a 1/2 bath with a corner toilet in the man cave/garage. He cleans that one.

Love the double sink in kitchen. That will always be a must. Will think about the double sink in master though.....

The only reason I would want stairs in the house is for the exercise. Every house I lived in with them growing up and first marriage with steps, ended up as a junk collection spot as no one wanted to run up and down stairs. :)

Rest well all!
    Kylia

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Worked today so no formal exercise. The plan for tomorrow is to do a 20, 40, 60 workout on the treadmill. Colder today than I thought it would be. I’ve now pretty muchly gotten to the point of preferring to be outside to do my job. I just don’t want to be bothered with all the political stuff (who is watching you ready to complain about what they told you to do yesterday, etc). Just leave me alone, let me do my job.

I remember when I was helping Jess train the service dog. We had to play tug-of-war with him. Makes sense. Sometimes the service dog needs to pull things like a laundry basket

Does anyone have the air fryer top for their IP? What do you think of it?

My dreamhouse is pretty much the one I have. Can’t really think of something else that I’d like a house to have. Maybe get a new counter for the kitchen. Different cabinets for the kitchen/bath

Allie – I’m sorry you were in so much pain. Let’s hope it doesn’t happen often. Can Tom and/or Elena bring Alfie by just for a visit? Update: I see you’re going to go for a visit. Good for you, I’m sure it’ll make you feel a whole lot better.

Just went to the farmer’s market. They advertised but didn’t have what I went for. So…I stopped at the salvation Army. Got 2 more DVD’s. Just what I need, eh? And a pair of pj’s for down at the condo since the ones I have right now have a bad stain on them. Also some yarn that I can probably use for towel toppers.

Dolphin – welcome!

A friend from down in FL told me that the Y there is at least suspending their “Away” program. Of course, that MIGHT change. But I did find another gym down there that costs $68 a month. So I can get a month’s membership and be able to use the equipment. I do need to call them again to find out if they have dumbbells that I can use, a step, a mat, is there someplace with electricity where I can workout to a DVD on my pc? Well…I have time.

Michele NC
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

What rooms or areas would your dream house include?

An art studio
    Big storage room for art and other stuff
    Office
    Pretty eat-in Kitchen.
    Living room
    Guest room
    Master bedroom
    Sports, yoga, meditation room
    Big terrace
    smallish yard (low maintenance) with lovely view of nature (like on a hill or over a park or
    tiny garage for bicycle and scooter and maybe outside things and shoes
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I know this has been covered already, but if you follow a decluttering website, who do you follow?

Thanks!
    M in Oz

I don't really follow much but I use flylady's 15 minute sessions, and I do sometimes check what part of the house they are on this week and work on that. I don't read the rest nor get the emails.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    On and off sleep, at night, now at 9 am very sleepy. was majorly caught in the rain last night.
    lots of scooter and it was either cold or rainy. In evening I had 5:30 dentist appointment (just at sunset), and then drove home about an hour later in dark and it was really raining quite a bit. Usually in such rain-not sooo common, and usually doesn't last more than 15 min at that rate if possible I stop somewhere, and get a coffee or do something to wait it out. But since ALL is closed at 6pm now, that was scarcely an option. I saw that ONLY some pharmacies were open, but it would be difficult to stay for 15 minutes. The curfew is really unfair to some people who work in the evening/ at night. You can't buy any meal, nor go anywhere for shelter before or after work, or for a break. In this time of year that is rough.

We had a short meeting before a meeting yesterday. Fortunately one of the guys had a car, so 3 of us sat in the car with masks. It was really too cold to meet outside for 30 minutes.

Dentist: good news-ish. My previous dentist had retired. I checked 2 new ones, one recommended by the retired dentist and another recommenced by his excellant dental hygienist. The first seemed ok. most notable were his fancy 3D X-rays ready immediately. I think he didn't look at my mouth directly all. He had me get an x-ray and then interpreted it.

He said, very probably 3 crowns and 1 implant, and wanted to make the appointment for the 1st crown immediately, before giving me an estimate.. charge he said: 1000 to 1100 per crown, more or same per implant. Then sent me an estimate of 700 for only one of the teeth, the most urgent for an Onlay rather than a crown. Not great. He said only 100 or so euros should be covered by health insurance.

The other dentist is farther away -a good 45 min on scooter, compared to a half hour for the other.
    But looked at my mouth, did normal x-rays (sufficient) gave me an overall estimate for all teeth needed quick service: 4 crowns rather than 3 for him, and no implant. And crowns at 550. He said it should all be covered by complimentary health insurance. Weird in terms of health insurance coverage. I know that they have recently changed standard reimbursement rate.
    In any case, dentist 2, despite being farther, seems way better. That would be such a treat to have it covered by health insurance. Anyway it is nearly so as new health insurance policy definitely covers a few hundred per crown. It's hard to get and retain all because there are different rates depending on place in mouth.

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline,
    Bonus: 20 mins decluttering MBth, 2.5 hr AFG grant walk-through webinar.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, volunteer firefighter letter to Cam’s employer, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, bottle return, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Thursday FEMA AFG grant application webinar, Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Happier January:
    21: Take a small step toward an important goal: SWSY, TC or BB&B during webinar breaks: no breaks. Try again tomorrow.
    22: Try out something new to get out of your comfort zone:

Lisa :love: Egg touching your mouse hand with her paw.
    Barbie 200 miles, WOW!
    Allie ((hugs))
    Katla we had one of those portable dishwashers too… until it overflowed the sink and caused a big mess… ;} I love your bathroom sink, all one piece with the countertop. No edges to attract gunk. I’d like the same in the kitchen too.
    Carol I’d hate having to carry groceries up more than the three little steps we have.
    Heather are there no other haggis sources?
    Tracey thanks for the 28 days vaccine free each side of Covid inoculation. Haven’t pulled up my big girl panties to get the Shingrix yet so may put it off until well after Covid. So sorry about your unexpected expenses. :cry:
    Kylia heated bathroom floor? A dream come true!
    Welcome @dolphin041568! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Julie glad you found that second dentist!

Double sinks: imho a requirement in the kitchen but in the bathroom, like Machka, I’d rather have the counter space. Of course it helps that Joe has his own bathroom ;)

Tracey and Kim, I lived a long time in a studio apartment whose bathroom was so small that to sit on the toilet your feet had to be in the shower. And stairs? It was on the fourth floor of a walkup. Carrying cat litter up those stairs kept me skinny back in the day.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh/wii: 21/11/32, steps>5592=53704 boo vits=20 log=21 CI<CO=19 CI<250<CO=16 Tumble 5=20 Shadow 5=19 mfp=21 outside=21 up hill=19
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=2 dance=4 clean 60 mins=6.5 packwalk=2, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142. 1/17: 142.4
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=1 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=12 play=16 sew=1 waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW