WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Katla the small dog training course I am taking mentioned how good tug of war is for chewing too. In the course she did demonstrate how to go about teaching your dog drop it first to make it fun for you and your dog. So yes it is another good idea. You can also use the rope dog for fetch too. Fetch is one of Drew's favorite games. I like it because it gets her to run and with the greyhound in her it is perfect for her.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Michele: I’ll call the eye doctor’s office in the morning and see what they have to say. The doctor isn’t the problem. There is a sight shop within the building and they’re the ones that need to get the lens replaced. They told me 2 days, and it has been longer than that. :grumble:

Margaret: Your dog training class seems to be an excellent use of your time.

US Inauguration News—skip if you wish: We spent much of the day watching CNN. The musical part of the Inauguration was amazing. I loved the music and talented singers. The visit to Arlington Cemetery and the grave of the unknown soldier was poignant. Former Presidents from both political parties were there. Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, George W Bush, Bill & Hillary Clinton, along with Joe Biden & Kamala Harris all visited the grave of the unknown soldier in Arlington Cemetery after Biden was sworn in as the 46th president of the US. I was amazed at the number of living US Presidents who were there, representing both political parties.

Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    I know this has been covered already, but if you follow a decluttering website, who do you follow?

Thanks!
    M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    (Oops—Forgot Laura Bush.)
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    They also talked about being aware of your heartbeat for calming anxiety. You can train yourself to be aware and lower your heart rate. It's a kind of mindfulness. (Heather) I had some surgery several years ago. I'd never had much to do with hospitals as an adult (other than giving birth) and so I was kind of wondering what the loud, fast thumping that I could hear was. I finally figured out that it was my heartbeat! I was plugged in to whatever that was monitoring my vitals. I was able to slow my heartbeat by taking some deep breaths and convincing myself to relax! It was kind of neat!
    Cheri, belated Happy Birthday!
    Beth, the pup is beautiful!
    Penny, so good to hear from you, the photos are lovely.
    Kim, have to say I'm surprised that your brother is still alive, I honestly figured the cancer would have taken him by now. I am sorry that your mom feels she needs to put up with the abuse.
    Katla, grrrr about mistakes made during measurements for lenses!
    Julie, commando and braless, nope, would not be a pretty site! lol The girls wouldn't be hanging out the bottom of my shirt (and I did nurse both kids til they were about 3 years old), but they are pretty droopy. Most days I wear a sports bra, but for work I wear something with better support and shaping abilities. I have found some that are quite comfortable. Please don't ask the brand name, I have no idea, I got them at a shop called Sheer Essentials. The gal actually fitted me and I must have tried on 12-15 bras before I found something that I liked and that fit properly! She really knew her stuff.
    Allie, glad to hear that you are home again, sure hope that your next surgery will fix the problem and that the surgery is soon!
    Kelly, sending the gingerbread people around the world sounds like such a fun thing for the kids! They are such a lucky bunch (and so are their parents!).
    Tracey, do NOT feel guilty about getting the vaccine already! You are in a front line position, and it is important for you to be vaccinated to protect our more vulnerable folks. I am happy for you.
    I have no idea when hubby and I will be vaccinated. Our province is still working on health care workers and vulnerable folks. And now we aren't even getting any vaccine this coming week..... Supply and transport have definitely been issues. Oh well, it will happen when it happens.
    Memory has now failed me. I'm sure there were more comments that I wanted to make, but that's what happens when I only read for 3 or 4 days and don't comment right away! And now it's late, and as tomorrow is a work day,I must get off the computer and get some sleep.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: more veg prep, called Freddie’s for letter requirements,
    Bonus: T and Shadow beach stroll, 40 mins combing Tumble (part of next leg, @#$*&amp;% cockleburs/mats)
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, AFG grant webinar, call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, volunteer firefighter letter to Cam’s employer, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, bottle return, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Thursday FEMA AFG grant application webinar, Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Happier January:
    21: Take a small step toward an important goal: SWSY, TC or BB&B during webinar breaks

Tracey “watched a roof of a business blow off” OMG! Glad you and R are safe. Hope the physio gives you immediate relief!
    Beth puppies, sons AND snow shoveling before work? You are a rock star! When my puppies put those sharp little needle teeth on my skin, I shriek “Oww!” and make sad crying sounds. Then give them a toy and play tug with smiling happy sounds.
    Machka my dream house would contain a library with ladder, an indoor lap swimming pool and a hot tub. My dream kitchen would be art moderne with Aunt Elsie’s stove the centerpiece and a baking center. A cave for Joe, an office for me, a wood burning fireplace, a sheltered deck on the view side with fire pit, a better fence around more of our property, with an electric gate at the bottom of the drive. . . the list goes on. There’d be a little guest house with bed-sit, bath and kitchenette.
    Welcome @TiredMom2021 ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Dee fingers X’d for the next level!

Thinking about eating “something” so time to go to bed instead ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 20, weigh/wii: 20/10/32, steps>5592=5811 vits=19 log=20 CI<CO=18 CI<250<CO=16 Tumble 5=19 Shadow 5=18 mfp=19 outside=20 up hill=18
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=2 dance=4 clean 60 mins=6.5 packwalk=2, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142. 1/17: 142.4
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant=1 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=12 play=15 sew=1 waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    After a blustery night with tons of rain, it's turned out to be a brighter morning than expected. I went on the dog walk this morning with my daughter (when it was still dark) and managed okay. I'm still finding it uncomfortable sleeping, in fact a few nights ago I came downstairs to try and sleep on the sofa but after about an hour took some painkillers and went back to bed for a few hours before getting up for good! But I'm getting there very slowly thanks Theresa.

Mum is having her first Covid vaccination at lunchtime today, my son Paul is driving her, I'll go too to help (she can only walk with two sticks) but not sure if I will be allowed in with her, but we'll see, she also relies on me to explain things to her as she is very deaf.

Machka I follow a few decluttering websites, The Minimal Mom, Clutterbug, and the Secret Slob. I started with FlyLady a few years ago and she helped me get into some sort of routine whilst I was working full time. I have joined the Take your house back decluttering course with Dawn form minimal Mom and Cas form Clutterbug and Dana from a slob comes clean(?) - Dana is the only one I have not heard of before this course. The decluttering has been put on the back burner since my fall, but I am trying to get back to it. I can so easily clutter a flat surface - I don't know how I do it :) I try so hard to put things away too.

Well I'd better go get a few things done.

Take care
    Love Viv <3

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    We had our jabs, very quick, very efficient setup. Yesterday arm was stiff and tender so I didn’t do my workout. Went a bit overboard on calorie front but today is another day.

HEATHER we cooked the lamb shanks in the slow cooker, didn’t use beans as per the recipe but added some barley and a few potato slices. They were ‘yummy’ as you say. Did 2 meals so not too expensive. We don’t have a proper butchers so my son (who gets his food delivered) ordered them for me. So 2 more in freezer.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon sorting photos and putting in album, I try to have one for each year. This was 2019/20. Although my photos are in the Cloud and on hard drives I like to print some out, you never know how technology will evolve. I do wonder what will happen to all my albums and packets of prints when we are gone. My Mum only had 2 albums which I’ve consolidated into 1 new one. Do we take too many pics do you think, it’s so easy isn’t it with phones etc. The old prints are more precious I think.

Flooding overnight very bad here in NW and North Wales. We were fine and dry and sunny now but cold forecast bringing icy conditions. But not going anywhere so heyho 😒

Kate UK ❤️
  • Machka9
    wizzywig wrote: »
    Machka I follow a few decluttering websites, The Minimal Mom, Clutterbug, and the Secret Slob. I started with FlyLady a few years ago and she helped me get into some sort of routine whilst I was working full time. I have joined the Take your house back decluttering course with Dawn form minimal Mom and Cas form Clutterbug and Dana from a slob comes clean(?) - Dana is the only one I have not heard of before this course. The decluttering has been put on the back burner since my fall, but I am trying to get back to it. I can so easily clutter a flat surface - I don't know how I do it :) I try so hard to put things away too.

Well I'd better go get a few things done.

Take care
    Love Viv <3

Thank you ... basically I'm looking for ideas. One thing my house does not have is storage. We have no upper kitchen cabinets, lots of space but no storage in the bathroom, no linen cupboard, a very small hall closet for coats and jackets, a small closet in the dressing room, and a teensy-tiny closet in the office.

We have purchased some wardrobes, shelves and things but I still feel like I've got so much stuff and nowhere to put it. Some stuff will have to go but I suspect the remainder will fit if it is organised well.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited January 2021
    My ideal house would have an indoor/outdoor lap pool, but otherwise I find my house pretty much ideal for the two of us. It needs decorating, but we are slowly getting round to it.
    I also like the fact that it is on three levels as I believe going up and down stairs is good for you, but for our future I would like to put a walk in shower room in the utility room. There is plumbing out there, so it's not a huge job. Then we could live on one level in our old age.
    Otherwise I love my house. Oh, I would like a patio area, but DH isn't keen. He likes the green grass up to the French windows. I would also have a retractable awning as I am not a sun lover.
    We have masses of storage. Plenty of room for us both to spend much of the day in different areas, on different floors. We have an exercise room. And the location is perfect.
    We worked hard to find this house, it took us two years of stress and worry, we knew exactly where we wanted to move to, and we are both very happy here. I can't think of anywhere I'd rather live. Just need to find the money to decorate. :o:p

Saga cruises are saying you definitely have to have the vaccine to go away with them. They have postponed everything until May. I'm sure most holiday companies and airlines will be the same.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Good Thursday!
    I was in a pissy mood last night. Husband decided it was time to split up his football and baseball cards between the two boys and needed my help. I get it based on his vision, but apparently I wasn't doing it right- grumble. My mind reading skills are on the blink-lol! I am sure his mood was based on the fact that our pick up and delivery guy gave us notice yesterday. Now we need to try to hire a mechanic, a driver, and another "guy Friday" (could be female). These would be part time positions. I am sure he is worried. We will see. Driver could also be guy Friday. Wait and see. They aren't easy to work for..

Anyways- Braless/commando. Almost always commando, usually braless in winter. Always both at home.

Gain in 2021- I think I want to gain a better work/home balance

Dreamhouse- I think I am living in it. There are some updates I want to do. Getting rid of tub/shower, putting in double sinks, and putting a door on the master bathroom. Oh, and getting rid of the carpet in there. While not around the toilet, still not crazy about it. Some updates to kitchen, but nothing drastic. Would LOVE to get rid of some furniture, but husband loves seeing his collections-all of them!

Decluttering- Cas with Clutterbug is my go to. I own her books and she has helped me recognize my style and my husband's style and merge them together.

1 % off protein goal yesterday. I struggle with protein, so am still happy. "Should" be 20%. Usually around 13%. Once I can get that fairly steady, will work on fat which "should" be 30% but tends to be around 50%

Guess I better get ready for work. I love you ladies!

Kylia taking one moment at a time in Ohio and yet planning for future.
  • Machka9
    kymarai wrote: »
    Dreamhouse- I think I am living in it. There are some updates I want to do. Getting rid of tub/shower, putting in double sinks, and putting a door on the master bathroom. Oh, and getting rid of the carpet in there. While not around the toilet, still not crazy about it. Some updates to kitchen, but nothing drastic. Would LOVE to get rid of some furniture, but husband loves seeing his collections-all of them!

Kylia taking one moment at a time in Ohio and yet planning for future.

Why double sinks? I've watched home shows and occasionally see people requesting that but I've wondered why. I thought it might be to be able to soak some laundry, but we've got a laundry sink for that.

M in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited January 2021
    We each have our own bathroom and did in our last two houses. I use DH's for night time wees, (mine is on the top floor) but otherwise I love having my own. Plus there is a downstairs toilet and washbasin.
    If we rent a holiday apartment/house I really like it to have two bathrooms. Of course we have to share on a cruise! :grumble: But they often have two washbasins.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening all...

Yesterday was just all cranky pants, all the time... only slept about three hours, up at just after midnight. Got Corey off to work, and then crashed in my recliner for a couple hours. Woke up stiff and sore and chilled to the bone, even though the house wasn't any colder than any other day. Watched the inaugural stuff live on YouTube and then just dinked all afternoon. Some days are just a waste. Ah well...

More sleep today, feeling better all the way around. Corey's off to work, have written one article and sent it off to the requester, and have to catch up on my cleaning after being a complete slob yesterday.

:wink:

Also time to get my eating under control. For most of January I've eaten pretty much what I wanted and not gained... but that honeymoon is now over, according to my scale this morning. Everything I ate this last few days apparently jumped on my butt and is now clinging for dear life. I think I'll see if I can't shake them off on the elliptical, and then start cleaning...

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning ladies
    Oh i was in so much pain to try and sleep last night.tossed and turned most of the night..
    Will take my car tomorrow to run a few errands and then will drop it back off with my son..
    I am not up for doing much ,but will try and get some walking in..

• Machka9
    We each have our own bathroom and did in our last two houses. I use DH's for night time wees, (mine is on the top floor) but otherwise I love having my own. Plus there is a downstairs toilet and washbasin.
    If we rent a holiday apartment/house I really like it to have two bathrooms. Of course we have to share on a cruise! :grumble: But they often have two washbasins.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I like holiday accommodations to have two bedrooms, but I'm all right with one bathroom ... just as long as we're in there one at a time. My time in the bathroom is my time alone in the bathroom!

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    Put down a fleece blanket for Egg. Every so often, she'll reach over and touch the hand I'm using for my mouse (irony!), then curl back up.
    rorcm3cau8uu.jpg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Awww isnt she adorable Lisa,miss my Alfie here is hoping i can get him home soon..