WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, draft Worship and Music annual report, follow up email to roofer, movie date with Joe, Garbo’s Anna Karenina.
    Bonus: 1 load laundry, veg prep,
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call S, finish, W&M report, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, cancel VSP, update itunes & AAA payment info, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Wednesday: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Happier January: 13: Be gentle with yourself when you make mistakes: That would be yesterday’s excessive wine/sweets choices and today’s “where the heck did I stash the new faucet???

Heather, grumpy never looked so loveable! Wow the northern lights. Saw them twice when we lived in Idaho but those were unusual events and nowhere near as spectacular as Heather’s in Scotland. Julie sorry to hear your thesis is not happening in a flowing way. Do you feel something is blocking you?
    Katla Relieved you were thoroughly checked out by paramedics, local clinic and eye doc. Glad to hear your doing better and hoping those new lenses arrive SOON! :sunglasses:
    Machka you would be appalled at the lack of coordination/travel restrictions/public health regulations between the states here. In Oregon, different counties have different risk levels which allow different gathering sizes and levels of restaurant openings. There are no hard and fast travel restrictions I know of, except that some states require a negative test within a few days of arriving (Hawaii). Like Katla and Tina said, enforcement is impossible. Think it was Karen who mentioned our rampant “Live free or die” mentality, and Flea our emphasis on individual over community. Me, I tend to think of it as evolution in action. If the National Guard were brought in it would trigger even more violent protests than what we suffer now. Like Barbie, I stay home as much as possible. :cry: In the pics the water is so serene, your smiles so jubilant. :love:
    SuziQ so sorry the puzzle box’s quality was so poor. It was a great idea. Do you have any woodworking/cabinet making friends?
    Allie what Lisa said about the hospital/port/infection, what Michele said about your compassion, Evelyn said about let the medical staff settle your roomie and what Terri said about continuing prayers. Love hearing that you keep up with your laps. You are a wonder woman.
    Lisa good luck at the DDS.
    Kylia you’ve been through a lot this year, it’s understandable that your brain feels to full to take any more in just yet.
    KJ love the snow pics, excited for your license. Been a looooong time comin’
    Barbie I think you’re right about what too many people are thinking about. It’s like your meme about sacrificing what is wanted most for what is wanted now.
    Rebecca, where are you?
    Was it Flea or Tina who mentioned about quarantine enforcement here in the states? One of my friends was talking to a gal in the grocery store who she recognized as a care giver in her mom’s memory care facility. The gal told her that because of an outbreak she was on day 12 of her 14 day quarantine. :noway: What is it about the word quarantine that people do not understand? ? ? ! ! ! ? ? ?

Plumber will be here soon to install new kitchen faucet, rearrange piping below sink, test dishwasher and double check laundry spigots. Means I need to get up off my duff, empty the under sink area, clear the counter tops, and unload all the plasticware stored in the dishwasher. Yikes!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 13, weigh/wii: 1/, steps>5592=1961 :noway: vits=11 log=12 CI<CO=11 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble 5=11 Shadow 5=10 mfp=12 outside=12 up hill=10
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=2 dance=4 clean 60 mins=2 packwalk=2, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142.
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=5 play=7 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    "Some states don't have any restrictions. Others do, but it's really hard to enforce them. Since each state is sovereign, it's difficult to get them all to do the same thing, especially as divided as we are right now.

Tina"

Tina is absolutely correct. We are the United States of America, and each of the 50 states is sovereign, with it's own State Constitution, laws and rules. Each state border is open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

Katla

Australia is also a collection of states with their own state constitutions, laws, rules, and area which they govern. Each state border is (usually) open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

However, if one state, like say New South Wales, has a sudden surge of cases ... maybe 20 or 30 of them ... Victoria and Queensland will likely close their borders to New South Wales. Other states and territories may as well. When NSW's cases drop back to 0, the borders will reopen.

Our borders are opening and closing all the time these days. If we travel, we run the risk of being stuck in another state, not able to leave that state and/or not able to return to your home state. Or we may have to quarantine for 14 days in the place we travel to or home on our return.

So it's risky to travel.

Here are the coronavirus border closure rules across all states and territories in Australia
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-11/qld-nsw-tas-sa-act-nt-wa-vic-border-closures-hotspots-explained/13047690

M in Oz

Honest question -- how is it enforced? Do you have to go through a border check all of the time when going into another state? Do you have special checkpoints set up for this situation? Or do people just obey the rules and don't test them?

Allegedly, we can't even make sure people quarantine for the required/recommended amount of time. It used to be 14 days, then went to 10, and where I used to live, in Kansas, the county health officials reduced it to 7, in the hope that people will obey the recommendation if it isn't too draconian. They don't.

When the state borders are closed, there are border checks with police, SES and sometimes military. People need to show their identification and papers. If they don't have the right information, they are turned back or fined.

One such bit of paperwork is the G2G Pass:
    https://www.g2gpass.com.au/initiative

If people have to be in quarantine, they either go to a quarantine hotel and are guarded by the military (if they are not a resident of the state) or they go to a private residence (if they are a resident of the state) and the police, military and SES will check that they are where they are supposed to be. There has been discussion about ankle tracking bands but so far that hasn't happened. If people aren't where they are supposed to be, they are found and fined.

Businesses (like hotels, restaurants, etc.) can turn people away if they don't have the right paperwork. A group of Queenslanders were "caught" that way last weekend. A local street food festival checked everyone's paperwork before letting them in and they discovered that these Queenslanders were from a "hot spot". They weren't allowed in and I suspect that the authorities were notified. I don't think anyone was fined because the rules had just changed that day and these people claimed not to know.

Here are a couple photos of state border crossings:

6azdpqxgd008.png

kclgyv7dbqxs.png

M in Oz

Oh, no. That will never happen in the U.S. Some governors may try, but it won't succeed.

Tina
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    73kykb867neu.jpeg
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,604 Member
    Options
    Julie-that sucks! Hugs!
    Machka- that looks lovely!
    🦋❤
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Julie sorry to hear your thesis is not happening in a flowing way. Do you feel something is blocking you?

@auntiebk it feels like everything is blocking me. partly anxiety. partly fatigue. like today I was slow to get going then was finally in good mood, a bit slow. I did 20 min on the recumbent which helped a lot. I had a few rather important calls. 1 planned, (1 other planned was cancelled) 1 from dr, unplanned but important, 1 from colleague not important but upsetting. With colleague we started getting into a strong disagreement again. It's basically all men among the active members of the group and among the core members, there is somewhat of a tendency for some of them to interact between themselves, not keep me in the loop. When the subject comes up, (I don't bring it up but sometimes it arises) there's a tendency for guys, to say "no you are imagining things". of Course statistically it's true that there are biases everywhere, but EVERYONE says, without exception, us/me, no, we are/I am perfectly balanced and don't have a trace of lack of equality (male-female)... "you're getting ideas in your head" it makes me furious! these are guys who are married to surely somewhat feminist school teachers, so are surely somewhat familiar with such discussions.

Then my doctor called and said they lost my aspiration results were never transferred-were lost; I had to argue with him a bit. I got the impression he wasn't even going to program a redo, saying not biggest deal. He was totally downplaying everything, that was quite uncertain, due to partial results. It was annoying. For example, he said, we didn't find X, and in 2/3 of serious cases we find X, so that's a good thing. True it's better than the opposite, but hardly conclusive. finally after discussion, he reprogrammed it, and also advanced his live appointment with me to explain results which had previously been programmed for May!

I feel more consciously upset about argument with colleague though. It's not even useful. He started fights about a certain (illogical subject many times) and denies it totally and doesn't remember it at all. he says that's ridiculous. he's not evil, but wow, very unpleasant.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @auntiebk so now I just feel stressed and like hiding out. the curfew, semi-lockdown doesn't help. I can't see a friend, go to the gym, get some air, other than going to the supermarket!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Julie, I find myself using email a lot with the "forgetful" folks - some are conveniently forgetful and some are truly forgetful so if when needed I can just forward the appropriate note back to them to help them remember.... the trick then is to word it so it's not to snarky....

Often I will do it with the "I get busy and sometimes forget, so can we put this in a written form so I can go back to remind myself?" and then "I looked this up as I was concerned I had mis-remembered...." It's harder for folks to get defensive it you have already taken the responsibility

Kim
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Julie, I find myself using email a lot with the "forgetful" folks - some are conveniently forgetful and some are truly forgetful so if when needed I can just forward the appropriate note back to them to help them remember.... the trick then is to word it so it's not to snarky....

Often I will do it with the "I get busy and sometimes forget, so can we put this in a written form so I can go back to remind myself?" and then "I looked this up as I was concerned I had mis-remembered...." It's harder for folks to get defensive it you have already taken the responsibility

Kim

For work stuff I actually do email stuff a bit since there can be confusion about remembering especially details, and there can be convent variations on remembering.

Just to confirm, xyz

but this is a thing he was getting angry about, that he yelled at me for 3 times about (quite unreasonably) and then agreed with me about and then did the same a month later.it was a bit nuts. And then he totally forgot. i did send an sms about it back then but seem to have lost or accidentally erased it.

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Oh, my, Machka. I am all in favor of public health and obeying the rules, but I would have a difficult time supporting those measures. We really are a different breed in this country.

Thanks for explaining!

Flea
  • pipcd34
    Options
    5na7n1s50b5z.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    Had a good Zoom with my girlfriends. We haven't got a lot to say as we haven't been anywhere/done anything. We have been isolating since last March, no matter what the government says. I have behaved as if everybody, including family, has the virus. No going indoors with anyone since March, apart from masked and distant work people in another room. Shops only with two or fewer people in them. No supermarkets. Always masked, sometimes double masked.
    We are currently not allowed to travel further than our local area. A few miles only. Nothing is open, except for food shops, takeaways and pharmacies. All fine by me. :D We are perfectly happy as we are, but would enjoy seeing the grandchildren in real life. :s

Everyone should behave as if they, and everyone else apart from their immediate continuous household, has the virus. Anything else could result in death of someone we love. No visiting.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,604 Member
    Options
    Lacking motivation and concentration today! The sun is shining and I just want to curl up in its rays with a book. Lol!
    Really dislike going back out after I get home from work, but have several stops we need to make and dinner in the crockpot. 10 hours is my max. So tonight we will make one quick stop(close to work), go home and eat, then go back out to finish errands. Too bad i can't just leave work whenever I am bored or have things to do not work related or just because "my" work is done (oh wait....my work is never done!) Sorry, that was catty. Anyway, venison roast, potatoes, and carrots in crockpot. Pair with salad. Dinner will be done.😊

Kylia
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    PIP
    The scenery is just beautiful!

REBECCA
    So sorry about your power loss and the mess it made.

KYLIA
    Your crock pot meal sounds great!

Carol in Georgia
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/yogi- 2hrs 13min 24sec, 3 74ap, 186elev, 98ahr, 127mhr, 8.38mi= 807c
    Strava app = 1015c
    Zwift bike trainer- 28.56min, 20.9amph, 213elev, 135ahr, 158mhr, 10.06mi= 289c
    Strava app = 266c

Total cal 1096
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Lost power last night at 11 pm, just came on at 11:30 am this morning. All the island out, crazy. Listened to the wind, broken limbs hitting the roof. A couple of them as big round as my arm, and 8+ ft long. We are getting quite the piles around the yard! Green waste is already filled up, so there they will sit.
    Rebecca

It was quite a storm! We were out for about 5 hours, and very thankful to have power back. My mom didn't lose any more trees -- like you, we just have quite a few branches and tree debris.

Flea