cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Just for you Katla!

iva6ol44dill.jpg

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Bananas We soooooo want to go to Iceland, but we won't be seeing the Northern Lights as it will be in the summer.
    Saga, our cruise company, does a cruise to Iceland, stopping at various ports. It is top of my bucket list. I don't speak Icelandic. :(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thank you for the Northern Lights! They are beautiful! <3<3<3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Yesterday I listened to two podcasts about New Year's Resolutions and how they tend to come from one's inner critic snapping the whip. The suggestions were to be more compassionate toward yourself and make resolutions about changing attitudes and mindsets. Thus, they were saying that those of us who chose kind and compassionate words for the new year were on the right track. One of the podcasts was titled "Dump Your Inner Drill Sergeant".

:) Another podcast was listeners' voice mails about what they were going to eat more of in 2021.

:) Listening to podcasts while walking has improved my mental and my physical well being.

<3 Barbie in drizzly NW WA

Agreed! to me many many people keep saying, "just focus on finishing your thesis this year"...so I'm seeing what I can do. It seems impossible without putting some pressure on self. It's not happening in a "flowing" way. (non-ease which apparently seems to not be unusual, though there are exceptions to all).

Some years I have made simple resolutions, such as, be as happy as possible, or enjoy life as much as possible, (maybe not exactly that, but something along that line)...but this might not be the year for only that, as much as I might like it to be...!!!!

I guess just like some parts of day or week or year are more for relaxations and enjoyment, some years are more working years and other more enjoyment focused, more balanced...for many of us anyway, I think.

would love to snooze right now, but it's gonna be dark soon, and curfew a bit after that. surely I'll feel better if I get a bit of exercise right now! (which I tend to quite enjoy- walking around just a bit, even in grey, damp weather, tends to lift the spirit.)

ok I stopped and did about 20-30 min paper work,, then did banking stuff...

An hour on on hold, and in the chat queue which is long and cuts me off when I get close to my turn. WTF!
    trying to find out why an annually planned transfer is no longer scheduled.

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    KJ - Yes, Bea. The nose gives it away!

Love your grandsons playing in the snow! <3<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    KJ our weatherman said some parts of Texas has more snow than us.

For those of you who are waiting on stimulus money be aware it may come as a prepaid VISA card. Ours came today and I had to look it up and make sure it was not a scam. It looked like junk mail to me so be aware. They call it an economic impact payment card and you do need to call in to activate it. Stay on the the line until they talk about activation. I thought it would come as a direct deposit like the last one did. So heads up.

Maybe they think some will just throw it away and it will save money. Who knows!
  • Katla49
    Options
    :heart:

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    KJ our weatherman said some parts of Texas has more snow than us.

For those of you who are waiting on stimulus money be aware it may come as a prepaid VISA card. Ours came today and I had to look it up and make sure it was not a scam. It looked like junk mail to me so be aware. They call it an economic impact payment card and you do need to call in to activate it. Stay on the the line until they talk about activation. I thought it would come as a direct deposit like the last one did. So heads up.

Maybe they think some will just throw it away and it will save money. Who knows!

My sister does taxes and she said if you didn’t get round two and you qualify, you have to file an extra form with your 2020 taxes. This makes me think that they are basing qualification off 2020 taxes rather than 2019. I think it’s all a mess.

Tina in CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 6min 38sec, 3.44ap, 84ahr, 122mhr, 136elev, 7.36mi= 742c
    Strava app = 892c
    Zwift bike trainer- 31.34min, 21amph, 132ahr, 157mhr, 230elev, 11.06mi= 372c
    Strava app-= 281c

Total cal 1114
  • Katla49
    Options
    So far I've spent the day running errands. I have a meeting to attend this evening, but I'm planning to try it via zoom. I've tried this with limited success in the past. Keep your fingers crossed for me to succeed this time. :star:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Ok took a nap,and starting to get a bit stir crazy.....my new roomate is an older italian lady with dementia and she ia sundowning bad poor thing.....im sitting in the recliner after my walk.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Yesterday I listened to two podcasts about New Year's Resolutions and how they tend to come from one's inner critic snapping the whip. The suggestions were to be more compassionate toward yourself and make resolutions about changing attitudes and mindsets. Thus, they were saying that those of us who chose kind and compassionate words for the new year were on the right track. One of the podcasts was titled "Dump Your Inner Drill Sergeant".

:) Another podcast was listeners' voice mails about what they were going to eat more of in 2021.

:) Listening to podcasts while walking has improved my mental and my physical well being.

<3 Barbie in drizzly NW WA

Agreed! to me many many people keep saying, "just focus on finishing your thesis this year"...so I'm seeing what I can do. It seems impossible without putting some pressure on self. It's not happening in a "flowing" way. (non-ease which apparently seems to not be unusual, though there are exceptions to all).

Some years I have made simple resolutions, such as, be as happy as possible, or enjoy life as much as possible, (maybe not exactly that, but something along that line)...but this might not be the year for only that, as much as I might like it to be...!!!!

I guess just like some parts of day or week or year are more for relaxations and enjoyment, some years are more working years and other more enjoyment focused, more balanced...for many of us anyway, I think.

For almost 6 years (with just a few little breaks) I had to put on my "uni blinders"

https://equinehelper.com/what-horse-blinders-are-used-for/
    "Horse blinders work to effectively restrict a horse’s field of vision, forcing the horse to focus on what is in front of them. By minimizing possible distractions to the sides and rear of the horse, blinders often help a horse to perform with greater focus and dedication."

Similarly, I had to shut my eyes to most of the "other stuff" and focus on university. There were, of course, things I absolutely needed to do like paying bills and dealing with my husband's situation. But there are a lot of things which I just left.

So yes, some years are working years!

For me, after 3 years, I was faced with the potential of 5 more years and that was just too much so I was motivated to get through it as quickly as possible and finished in just shy of 6 years in total.

It's possible you may need to put on the "thesis blinders" and focus mainly on that to get it done.

https://equinehelper.com/what-horse-blinders-are-used-for/
    "Additionally, horse blinders eliminate the potential for spooking, something that can cause disruption or possible injury during a race or pulling work."

Now I've removed the "uni blinders" ... and I'm feeling a little spooked by everything else that's out there!

Part of my thinks I need to prioritise and get the most urgent things done because I'm only on a short break from uni ... and then I have to tell myself that I've got time, I don't need to panic. But there are still a few more urgent things I need to do.

Part of me just simply doesn't know where to begin, so I feel a bit paralysed by choice.

Part of me wants to relax and enjoy the summer ... but then I start packing things into every minute in an attempt to enjoy it all as if there's never going to be another summer.

Part of me knows I still have responsibilities and several things with deadlines have come up in the last couple months.

I expect I will need to settle into a new routine and maybe that will happen in February. Semester 1 classes start again in February and I will NOT be attending because I'm done. Perhaps then it will sink in that I'm not just on a summer break, I'm done. And maybe by then I'll be able to settle into the new routine.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Walking - I estimate about 200 calories per hour. I walk about 5-6 km/h.

Northern Lights - I lived way up north in Alberta and used to see them quite regularly. They come in more colours than just green. :) They also have a slight sound. When I've heard them, it's been a bit like distant static.

Southern Lights (Aurora Australis) - I would love to see them, but they're elusive!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka what you said to Katla about an MRI, or at least an xray of the orbital sockets.

Please consider at least an Xray. Hitting your face hard enough to break your lenses could also have fractured your orbital bones. :kiss:

Yes!!

M in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump DVD today. Work tomorrow so I’ll just go by the steps.

After exercise came home and had breakfast, then went to the foot docs since they needed to do something with the inserts. Only thing is I won’t get them back until next week. Then went to the Salvation Army, then Aldi, then stopped at TJMaxx and found two tablecloths for the holidays marked down to $8 each, then Target to return some protein powder for Jess, then Kohl’s to see if they had any bright red or green tablecloths (I don’t want vinyl). They didn’t.

DrKatie – when Food Lion had sweet potatoes on sale (29 cents/pound) I stocked up. Been making sweet potato muffins. But you CAN freeze sweet potatoes. Unlike white potatoes, they don’t get “funny”

About the vaccine: now my concern is that I’d be able to get it, only we’ll be in FL at the time. Wish I could get it earlier

RV Rita – sending you a shovel. Maybe I should send a snowblower….lol

I wonder what will happen to my job once enough people get vaccinated??? I guess that remains to be seen

KJ – oh, I just love the pic of your grandson eating the snow

Allie – I’m sorry your new roommate has dementia and is sundowning. In one sense, she should be grateful that she’s in the same room as you, you are so compassionate.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Over the years, I've had to readjust my priorities. Right now my priorities are staying safe and being available to my husband. That has changed a lot of what I do. In years past, my priorities have been different. In order to stay safe, I stay home a lot and stay out of stores. In order to be available to my husband, I've stayed home, eaten foods that aren't my first choice and watched things on TV that don't interest me. I've had to let go of certain thrifty habits like shopping at different stores for the best bargain and my desire to reuse bags for grocery shopping. In years past, those would have been high priority for me.

:) When I have a disagreeable task to finish, I work on it first each day before I do the fun stuff.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Katla49
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Barbara & Machka: Paramedics from the fire department checked me out the night of the fall. The next day DH took me to the local clinic for a medical examination. I seem to have my wits about me now. My left wrist is still sore. My forehead bruising has significantly diminished. There are scratches on the outside of my left glasses lens, but the lens itself held together and the frame is flexible and remained undamaged. I went to my eye doctor the next day and had a thorough examination. She wrote a prescription for new lenses that should be ready in the next week or so. Thank each of you for your kind concern for me. It is great to have friends like you who care enough to speak out. I think I'm doing better now, and will be doing much better when I can get my new lenses. Katla
  • Machka9
    edited January 2021
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    About the vaccine: now my concern is that I’d be able to get it, only we’ll be in FL at the time. Wish I could get it earlier

I wonder what will happen to my job once enough people get vaccinated??? I guess that remains to be seen

Michele NC

How are you able to travel with the number of cases the US currently has?

If one of our states gets 20 cases, travel shuts down.

Even with the vaccine, we'll still have to wash our hands regularly, keep everything ultra-clean, and distance. That's just going to have to be the way of life for some time to come ..... I hope.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

M in Oz
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »

Michele NC

How are you able to travel with the number of cases the US currently has?

If one of our states gets 20 cases, travel shuts down.

Even with the vaccine, we'll still have to wash our hands regularly, keep everything ultra-clean, and distance. That's just going to have to be the way of life for some time to come ..... I hope.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

M in Oz

Some states don't have any restrictions. Others do, but it's really hard to enforce them. Since each state is sovereign, it's difficult to get them all to do the same thing, especially as divided as we are right now.

Tina