• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

For almost 6 years (with just a few little breaks) I had to put on my "uni blinders"

https://equinehelper.com/what-horse-blinders-are-used-for/
    "Horse blinders work to effectively restrict a horse’s field of vision, forcing the horse to focus on what is in front of them. By minimizing possible distractions to the sides and rear of the horse, blinders often help a horse to perform with greater focus and dedication."

Similarly, I had to shut my eyes to most of the "other stuff" and focus on university. There were, of course, things I absolutely needed to do like paying bills and dealing with my husband's situation. But there are a lot of things which I just left.

So yes, some years are working years!

For me, after 3 years, I was faced with the potential of 5 more years and that was just too much so I was motivated to get through it as quickly as possible and finished in just shy of 6 years in total.

It's possible you may need to put on the "thesis blinders" and focus mainly on that to get it done.

"Additionally, horse blinders eliminate the potential for spooking, something that can cause disruption or possible injury during a race or pulling work."

Now I've removed the "uni blinders" ... and I'm feeling a little spooked by everything else that's out there!

Part of my thinks I need to prioritise and get the most urgent things done because I'm only on a short break from uni ... and then I have to tell myself that I've got time, I don't need to panic. But there are still a few more urgent things I need to do.

Part of me just simply doesn't know where to begin, so I feel a bit paralysed by choice.

Part of me wants to relax and enjoy the summer ... but then I start packing things into every minute in an attempt to enjoy it all as if there's never going to be another summer.

Part of me knows I still have responsibilities and several things with deadlines have come up in the last couple months.

I expect I will need to settle into a new routine and maybe that will happen in February. Semester 1 classes start again in February and I will NOT be attending because I'm done. Perhaps then it will sink in that I'm not just on a summer break, I'm done. And maybe by then I'll be able to settle into the new routine.

M in Oz

@Machka9 I have many times aimed to put on the "thesis blinders". I have not been very successful. I managed to do in when finishing my masters. In last 2 months I worked 11 hours a day. I had insomnia so I would get up (after being awake) at 4, meditate, then clean, then quick jog, then get to work, often by 6am (it was late spring and the days were long), work till possibly 2pm, go for a walk, run errands, and work some more...about 11 h a day, 7 days a week more or less (little exceptions) for about 2 months. I did meet with my corrector every few days (who is a friend) for a coffee, to work together, so that was about my only social life!!

BUT NOW, I'm not anywhere near that level of discipline or focus. MACHKA, you say you are on a 'short break" from uni. What are you going back for? I would most definitely not aim to finish thesis if not working in higher ed teaching. I have most definitely heard that it is sometimes frowned upon. I know one person (and 'I'm sure there are many) who didn't put her phd in certain job aps and proifiles. I often feel paralysed by choice- among excess of things to do...

I'm all for enjoying summer. After finishing my master's thesis I made it a point to NOT decide to do thesis for a year, to not do it automatically. I felt a bit out of sync, having been so much behind the computer on my one subject for 2 months, but eventually came back to normal, meeting friends for walks and drinks or talks or exhibits or meals or whatever. I'm not for overfilling free time. I like to kick back, to read and so on. I guess even for "playing" one can have easy playing and hard playing. At present, even meeting with a friend or colleague sometimes seems effortful after so many months with so little of that.

I try to not schedule things too tightly so I'm watching the clock-which I don't enjoy. to leave an hour leeway between things if possible. if I have a day of sports, I don't generally enjoy planning something for the evening...a friend used to have maximum 3 appointments per day. it sort of depends on the sort of thing. down time is of great value in the large scheme of things, in my book. <3
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Over the years, I've had to readjust my priorities. Right now my priorities are staying safe and being available to my husband. That has changed a lot of what I do. In years past, my priorities have been different. In order to stay safe, I stay home a lot and stay out of stores. In order to be available to my husband, I've stayed home, eaten foods that aren't my first choice and watched things on TV that don't interest me. I've had to let go of certain thrifty habits like shopping at different stores for the best bargain and my desire to reuse bags for grocery shopping. In years past, those would have been high priority for me.

:) When I have a disagreeable task to finish, I work on it first each day before I do the fun stuff.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I agree with you about the disagreeable tasks, for the most part. You are very kind to your husband.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Here in France, there is a mandate to all wear masks. almost all of higher ed has been distance since October, people are advised to work form a distance if possible. All restaurants have been closed for eating (even outdoor, but takeaway is ok, but not in front of the restaurant) since November. Most places are closed because they can't pay minimal charges by selling 15 takeaway meals for lunch, instead of 80 full meals, plus all the rest. All museums, movie houses, any cultural events are closed. apparently some galleries are open. it's all nationalised here. We can travel in France. Ski places are closed. skiing in neighbouring countries (Switzerland) is said to be forbidden...(I think you can go to Switzerland but not ski there, which is weird, hard to control of course). I think travel in Western Europe is generally allowed at present, (some students have European exchange programs next semester, in theory) but some places have more strict lockdowns and short quarantine things- which change a lot, from week to week, country to country, region to region. In Paris it has been 8pm curfew since last lockdown which was from November till mid December. in many areas curfew is 6pm.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    "Some states don't have any restrictions. Others do, but it's really hard to enforce them. Since each state is sovereign, it's difficult to get them all to do the same thing, especially as divided as we are right now.

Tina"

Tina is absolutely correct. We are the United States of America, and each of the 50 states is sovereign, with it's own State Constitution, laws and rules. Each state border is open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

Katla

Australia is also a collection of states with their own state constitutions, laws, rules, and area which they govern. Each state border is (usually) open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

However, if one state, like say New South Wales, has a sudden surge of cases ... maybe 20 or 30 of them ... Victoria and Queensland will likely close their borders to New South Wales. Other states and territories may as well. When NSW's cases drop back to 0, the borders will reopen.

Our borders are opening and closing all the time these days. If we travel, we run the risk of being stuck in another state, not able to leave that state and/or not able to return to your home state. Or we may have to quarantine for 14 days in the place we travel to or home on our return.

So it's risky to travel.

Here are the coronavirus border closure rules across all states and territories in Australia
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-11/qld-nsw-tas-sa-act-nt-wa-vic-border-closures-hotspots-explained/13047690

M in Oz

It's the same more or less here, but it's impossible to enforce. California tried closing all hotels to out of state visitors unless they stay for 14 days, but the hotels aren't going to watch to see if they leave their rooms.

It's just impossible.

Tina

We brought in the army - there are military guards outside the quarantine hotels here.

If you're a visitor, and if you come here from a medium or high-risk area, you pay to go into a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks.
    "All people undertaking quarantine in a government-designated accommodation facility are required to pay $2,800 per person."
    https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/travellers-and-visitors/quarantine

People do try to escape, but they get caught and are charged hefty fines.

"Quarantine is very important to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Tasmania. If you have been told to quarantine at home, you must do so. Breaching the quarantine process may incur a penalty of up to $16,800 or face the possibility of up to six months jail time."

So basically, we have to be very careful about where we travel.

In our case, my husband and I can't leave the state anyway, and it would be super stressful if we were stuck somewhere, so we continue to explore Tasmania. As I've said before ... thank goodness it is pretty! :)

M in Oz

(To whoever disagreed, I've provided the link so you can read it yourself and see what I've said is true).
    Wow I would hate to have to pay 2,800 to be closed in and quarantined, part of why I haven't traveled outside France for a year, and am not making any plans. and last summer, I rented a car and travelled by car (rare for me) in France, to avoid public transport and to be free to go home or someplace else if necessary, with changing virus and rules...

But I guess you guys are doing way better at keeping the virus at bay with very strict measures.

@SuziQ113 I'm glad you went to meet your friend and had a nice time! You don't have to read all 400 posts. you can jump in catch up as you go along.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Some people suggested that there may be another "roaring 20s" once the virus is calmed down (supposing that is the case), that people will be going out dancing, and so on. Of course we don't know how the virus nor the world is going to evolve, but that seems conceivable. Presumably not same fashion styles, but a hearty need to dance and just enjoy life together, especially for the quite young people who have been almost totally locked down for a year. (almost no higher ed classes live in France for about a year now)...so some are in their tiny studio apartments all alone almost all the time...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Bananas – The divider is lovely. So bright and light.
    @SuziQ113 thanks for taking the time to read back. you don't have to! thank you! I kind of like it. some thought it was a virtual screen! It kind of looks like some of what's offered online. it goes ok with prune coloured curtains...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I fell asleep early yesterday evening, woke, corrected some papers online fell back a sleep, woke at about 3 or 4 again. I couldn't stomach correcting any papers. I watched a clip, dozed, and woke late-ish (maybe 8am and slowly). I used to be SUCH a morning, person. madly so. In snowy winter in Quebec I would get up at 5 and go out and do 2h of sports outside in dark in snow in park (no one else was there!) and then often cycle 30 min to uni (in VERY cold weather- after daily HIGH in Quebec in winter was about 12° farenheit, minus 12° Celsius)...to go to 1h swim class, before going to class or coming home by bike to start day. Now, I have curtains, have trouble getting lively before daytime. I did however do some filing and financial stuff yesterday evening. That's good!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Grateful
    1.pleasant walk this morning
    2. O. and M. are both available for work telephone appointments today
    3. change of complimentary health insurance seems like it'll save money relative to projected health care expenses this year.
    4. new wool socks bought online seem good quality
    5. yuzu- discovered a new flavour I like.
    6. home is in ok shape

Good things done
    1. About 30 min paperwork yesterday
    2. TRIED to take care of financial thing (more than 1h on hold with bank!, they answered after an hour, said they'd call right back on cellphone for security reasons--- and didn't !!!, impossible to make contact online either!)
    3. went for 30 min walk today
    4. have mostly avoided sugar for about 10-15 days
    5. have tracked for about 2 weeks straight
    6. made some progress on correcting papers
    7. got other members of collective to be active in collective, and take up writing some of the letters
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Another good thing done- paid a bill today. no big deal, but I've been backed up on little stuff, which become numerous in the long run.

Truly I'm still dragging, going slow. Which is why I'm writing here, rather than working on x, y, and z. I was catching up on the news from last weeks, some of the videos that came out in the last days. I guess I find that upsetting. Not going into any specifics.

Ok, breakfast first ! (late!) then some cleaning, then planning 3pm and 4pm calls (important), then, 15 minutes decluttering (that is uplifting), 15 min paperwork. Try calling the bank again. (expect to be on hold for a long time and do other stuff at same time). And transfer yearly, monthly, weekly goals into new planner. (ordered online received late). At least 1h on thesis work. (not a lot at this point but as F said, it's already that!). And hopefully correct 8 papers. (8 is a good number not to get too bored or distracted with correcting essays).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,919 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

For almost 6 years (with just a few little breaks) I had to put on my "uni blinders"

"Horse blinders work to effectively restrict a horse’s field of vision, forcing the horse to focus on what is in front of them. By minimizing possible distractions to the sides and rear of the horse, blinders often help a horse to perform with greater focus and dedication."

Similarly, I had to shut my eyes to most of the "other stuff" and focus on university. There were, of course, things I absolutely needed to do like paying bills and dealing with my husband's situation. But there are a lot of things which I just left.

So yes, some years are working years!

For me, after 3 years, I was faced with the potential of 5 more years and that was just too much so I was motivated to get through it as quickly as possible and finished in just shy of 6 years in total.

It's possible you may need to put on the "thesis blinders" and focus mainly on that to get it done.

"Additionally, horse blinders eliminate the potential for spooking, something that can cause disruption or possible injury during a race or pulling work."

Now I've removed the "uni blinders" ... and I'm feeling a little spooked by everything else that's out there!

Part of my thinks I need to prioritise and get the most urgent things done because I'm only on a short break from uni ... and then I have to tell myself that I've got time, I don't need to panic. But there are still a few more urgent things I need to do.

Part of me just simply doesn't know where to begin, so I feel a bit paralysed by choice.

Part of me wants to relax and enjoy the summer ... but then I start packing things into every minute in an attempt to enjoy it all as if there's never going to be another summer.

Part of me knows I still have responsibilities and several things with deadlines have come up in the last couple months.

I expect I will need to settle into a new routine and maybe that will happen in February. Semester 1 classes start again in February and I will NOT be attending because I'm done. Perhaps then it will sink in that I'm not just on a summer break, I'm done. And maybe by then I'll be able to settle into the new routine.

M in Oz

@Machka9 I have many times aimed to put on the "thesis blinders". I have not been very successful. I managed to do in when finishing my masters. In last 2 months I worked 11 hours a day. I had insomnia so I would get up (after being awake) at 4, meditate, then clean, then quick jog, then get to work, often by 6am (it was late spring and the days were long), work till possibly 2pm, go for a walk, run errands, and work some more...about 11 h a day, 7 days a week more or less (little exceptions) for about 2 months. I did meet with my corrector every few days (who is a friend) for a coffee, to work together, so that was about my only social life!!

BUT NOW, I'm not anywhere near that level of discipline or focus. MACHKA, you say you are on a 'short break" from uni. What are you going back for? I would most definitely not aim to finish thesis if not working in higher ed teaching. I have most definitely heard that it is sometimes frowned upon. I know one person (and 'I'm sure there are many) who didn't put her phd in certain job aps and proifiles. I often feel paralysed by choice- among excess of things to do...

I'm all for enjoying summer. After finishing my master's thesis I made it a point to NOT decide to do thesis for a year, to not do it automatically. I felt a bit out of sync, having been so much behind the computer on my one subject for 2 months, but eventually came back to normal, meeting friends for walks and drinks or talks or exhibits or meals or whatever. I'm not for overfilling free time. I like to kick back, to read and so on. I guess even for "playing" one can have easy playing and hard playing. At present, even meeting with a friend or colleague sometimes seems effortful after so many months with so little of that.

I try to not schedule things too tightly so I'm watching the clock-which I don't enjoy. to leave an hour leeway between things if possible. if I have a day of sports, I don't generally enjoy planning something for the evening...a friend used to have maximum 3 appointments per day. it sort of depends on the sort of thing. down time is of great value in the large scheme of things, in my book. <3

I'm not on a "short break" from uni, I'm finished uni.

Part of me thinks I'm on a short break because that's all I've had for so long, so I feel an urgency that isn't there to get things done.

I'm not planning to go back to uni for now. I've got things to learn outside of university. And after 6 years working on my master's degree, and the last 3 years straight through with no breaks, I have no desire at all to take more classes now.

However, I do work full-time, as I have done since 2013.

Where I work, several people are Drs, as in PhD doctors. Some are both medical doctors and PhD doctors. Upper management are usually PhD doctors. One day, I may go that route, but for now, I want hands-on skills.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,919 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »
    "Some states don't have any restrictions. Others do, but it's really hard to enforce them. Since each state is sovereign, it's difficult to get them all to do the same thing, especially as divided as we are right now.

Tina"

Tina is absolutely correct. We are the United States of America, and each of the 50 states is sovereign, with it's own State Constitution, laws and rules. Each state border is open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

Katla

Australia is also a collection of states with their own state constitutions, laws, rules, and area which they govern. Each state border is (usually) open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

However, if one state, like say New South Wales, has a sudden surge of cases ... maybe 20 or 30 of them ... Victoria and Queensland will likely close their borders to New South Wales. Other states and territories may as well. When NSW's cases drop back to 0, the borders will reopen.

Our borders are opening and closing all the time these days. If we travel, we run the risk of being stuck in another state, not able to leave that state and/or not able to return to your home state. Or we may have to quarantine for 14 days in the place we travel to or home on our return.

So it's risky to travel.

Here are the coronavirus border closure rules across all states and territories in Australia
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-11/qld-nsw-tas-sa-act-nt-wa-vic-border-closures-hotspots-explained/13047690

M in Oz

It's the same more or less here, but it's impossible to enforce. California tried closing all hotels to out of state visitors unless they stay for 14 days, but the hotels aren't going to watch to see if they leave their rooms.

It's just impossible.

Tina

We brought in the army - there are military guards outside the quarantine hotels here.

If you're a visitor, and if you come here from a medium or high-risk area, you pay to go into a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks.
    "All people undertaking quarantine in a government-designated accommodation facility are required to pay $2,800 per person."

People do try to escape, but they get caught and are charged hefty fines.

"Quarantine is very important to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Tasmania. If you have been told to quarantine at home, you must do so. Breaching the quarantine process may incur a penalty of up to $16,800 or face the possibility of up to six months jail time."

So basically, we have to be very careful about where we travel.

In our case, my husband and I can't leave the state anyway, and it would be super stressful if we were stuck somewhere, so we continue to explore Tasmania. As I've said before ... thank goodness it is pretty! :)

M in Oz

(To whoever disagreed, I've provided the link so you can read it yourself and see what I've said is true).
    Wow I would hate to have to pay 2,800 to be closed in and quarantined, part of why I haven't traveled outside France for a year, and am not making any plans. and last summer, I rented a car and travelled by car (rare for me) in France, to avoid public transport and to be free to go home or someplace else if necessary, with changing virus and rules...

But I guess you guys are doing way better at keeping the virus at bay with very strict measures.

Here, if you don't want to pay 2,800 to stay in a hotel room for 14 days in quarantine ... don't travel outside your state.

My husband and I can't leave Tasmania anyway, we haven't been able to leave since March 2018, so it's no big deal to continue to stay here and just travel around this state. We're free to go anywhere in Tasmania. :)

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening all,

Allie -
    Oh honey, if I were you, I'd be stir crazy too... Here's hoping Friday's surgery is completely successful and all goes really well. It is disturbing, though, that a hospital, which should have the strictest anti-infection protocols in place, doesn't believe they can insert a port for you without incurring another infection. SMH.

SuziQ in Florida -
    Glad to see you, and glad you got to break your self-imposed quarantine and enjoy your friend! Yes, that bonfire is a little scary considering it's Christmas trees going up.

I'm a little off-kilter this morning, with a dental appointment at 10 a.m. My teeth seriously need cleaning, or I wouldn't even consider it. Finally found a dental plan that works with the VA to provide individual dental insurance. It's only $6 a month more expensive than my insurance when I was employed, and a free yearly exam and cleaning are included. Most of the individual plans are merely discounts on services, and quickly add up to more than I'll be paying through Delta, even just for the annual services.

Unfortunately though, scheduled appointments always throw me off my game. I think it's because I mistrust my own time sense, so I'm clock watching all the way up to getting in my car to drive to the appointment. It's one of the reasons that, if I have the option, I always ask for the first appointment, so I have less of my day in a kerfuffle. I need to take more advantage of the alarms on my phone, so I can forget about appointments, knowing I'll be reminded.

Which reminds me, I need to go take my morning medications--that alarm will be going off in 10 minutes. In the last year, I've had to add iron, zinc, a diuretic, potassium and blood pressure medication, so it's a handful now. Better than the alternatives if I don't take them, but I still balk at the thought. It hasn't become routine quite yet. Eventually it will.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday,

Those of you who are taking classes, just finished classes, learning new languages....you are AMAZING! I am working on training for work and struggling! It is online slides/videos. I struggle with electrical and hydraulics. The one I just finished took me 5 hours to finally pass the assessment test! That is crazy! I knew most of the answers, but struggled with three and could only miss one to pass. I took the master tests for electrical, hydraulic, two cycle, and four cycle engines about 15 years ago. These were times and proctored tests. Two and four cycle tests I aced. I passed the other two barely! Like Julie. I feel my brain just isn't wanting to take anything else in. Started on advanced electrical yesterday. I am sure part of the issue is doing it at work (phones, customers,employees). But....I dont want to do it at night. I need to get other things done. Y'all are inspiring!

Online zoom training tomorrow, wo staying home for that. Repair person will be here tomorrow also for washing machine and microwave. I hope they fix at least the microwave. I miss it! The washing machine is just super loud when spinning.

Healing thoughts to all who need!
    Hugs for all!

Kylia in Ohio getting ready for work
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,934 Member
    Options
    :)Flea, we had the same scary winds last night. The noise woke us all up and Bessie, our rescue dog, was especially agitated. Fortunately she was willing to go out at our usual 12:30AM to pee. Then after we all had our snacks, Jake put her back in bed and we all slept soundly until 5 AM. It was less windy this morning so we had our usual walk. I won't know until daylight, just how much debris has been spread all over the neighborhood. Fortunately, it's not my job to clean up most of the mess, just the little bit in our yard.

:) I am 74 years old. Jake is 75. He has lots of heart issues including an implanted defibrillator as well as COPD, and a blood cancer that is currently not too active. I don't want to ever look back and wish I'd spent more time with him. With shelter at home, he doesn't get to go anywhere except the chiropractor and the parking lots at the grocery store, post office, and library.

:) Going to the community event tomorrow to get our Covid 19 vaccine will be a big adventure. We have no idea how long we'll be in line but we plan to drop the dogs off at grooming at 8 and get in line right after.

:'( I think there are too many people who aren't thinking about how to keep themselves and others safe, they are just thinking about how to get around the rules so they can do whatever they want.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💛💚💙❤️💜