WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,132 Member
    :) Yesterday I listened to two podcasts about New Year's Resolutions and how they tend to come from one's inner critic snapping the whip. The suggestions were to be more compassionate toward yourself and make resolutions about changing attitudes and mindsets. Thus, they were saying that those of us who chose kind and compassionate words for the new year were on the right track. One of the podcasts was titled "Dump Your Inner Drill Sergeant".

:) Another podcast was listeners' voice mails about what they were going to eat more of in 2021.

:) Listening to podcasts while walking has improved my mental and my physical well being.

<3 Barbie in drizzly NW WA
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    insomnia at about 4:30 or 5 so rather than waste time I corrected papers! yay! ready to doze again at 8ish but not possible. Went for a very short walk, about 20 minutes to wake self up before giving 4h of classes online.

Classes went well-to-fine. I was a slightly stressed in 2nd one as I hadn't had planned break, since went over in 1st class. (last of semester). Lots of students contacting me-- "oh I forgot it was last class, etc, etc..." The usual but 6 fold with distance courses.

Felt not so tired but at 3pm sit on the sofa, and whoosh, feel the relief to be reclining.

Going out for walk 2 (longer), before sun sets...at 5:18, in 2h.

Glad to have cut maple-sweetened bean brownies into half portions this time, before freezing. a tiny bit is really enough to hit the spot. The tricky part is how to heat them without them disappearing into toaster-they are so small. (I lost a bit into the toaster today-it ended up being about 1/3 portion eaten.) I need to put on a tiny plate on top of the toaster. OR- have foresight and put a tiny metal dish with tiny bitty brownie onto the heater.

They are slightly under-cooked (so: fudge) brownies. It works for me, taste and texture-wise, but it's more gooey for reheating. I thought the slight undercook would be made up with reheating but they still remain gooey. I prefer this to the slightly dry when reheated last batch.

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,582 Member
    edited January 2021
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, first 8 fire calls into NFIRS data system.
    Bonus: 1 load laundry, log sheets and blanks to call book at fire hall.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call S, W&M report, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, cancel VSP, update itunes & AAA payment info, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Tuesday: follow up call roofer, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, movie date with Joe, Garbo’s Anna Karenina.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, Happier January:
    11: Switch off tech 2 hrs before bedtime: yeah, no didin’t do that ;}
    12: Connect with someone near you, share a smile or a chat: This morning with Joe about how much fun the dogs are, how much they make us laugh.

Way short on activity/steps yesterday but got the first 8 call sheets entered into the state fire marshall’s/national reporting system. Whew, what a learning curve! First one took an hour, second 30 minutes, then 10-20 mins each thereafter. Spent the day on my butt except for one brief break taking the pooches down the drive.

Lisa so with you about ribs squeezin’s. Obviously designed by a man. If the test for prostate/testicular cancer was anything like a mammogram… a better way would have been found long ago :laugh:
    Machka what you said to Katla about an MRI, or at least an xray of the orbital sockets. Stunning waterfall!
    Julie I was wondering the same about a way for them to test Allie’s blood, but couldn’t think of the word “port”. Thanks! “intensive knitting” :laugh: Good things number 7, well done!
    Allie whooshing good thoughts for Friday, brava for continuing to take your laps and thank goodness for the expert PCA! Ask for something for the pain, your body needs sleep to cope with the trauma.
    Tina I’m with you about the blood draw bruises. My veins aren’t particularly small, and are clearly visible… at first. But the closer the needle gets, the further/deeper they “roll away.” Ugh.
    Katla looks to like you and your medically fragile DH should be eligible for the vaccine under Phase 1A, Group 3:
    “Group 3 . . . Parents, including foster parents, and other caregivers of medically fragile children or adults who live at home [18]
    [18] Need to work with program teams in Medicaid and ODDS to define who is captured in the terminology “medically fragile…”
    . . .
    https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le3527.pdf
    And from https://covidvaccine.oregon.gov/
    “If you think you fall under Phase 1a, please contact your local public health department to be connected to a vaccine provider.”
    e8vi7mmmj01t.jpg
    I sure do feel your frustration. We’re both 70+ but neither of us could be considered “medically fragile” so will not get vaccinated until Phase 1b “…and beyond.” [sigh]
    Please consider at least an Xray. Hitting your face hard enough to break your lenses could also have fractured your orbital bones. :kiss:
    Lanette Hi!
    Kay listening to an organizer’s podcast while cleaning… Priceless! Your skinny taste sweet potato pie is going on my to do list.
    Heather Iove hearing about your Hairy Bikers recipes and learning plans, not to mention your inspiring exercise routine. New phones, aaarrrggghhh.
    Meg glad to see your smiling face, sorry for your loss ((hugs)).
    Debbie in Napa Valley Oh my very dear. What a shock. While I’m glad you were there for your Mom, hope you are taking some time to grieve for yourself. How awful. :cry: (((hugs)))
    Kate great workout!
    Tracey “…and as long as it had toilet facilities inside” Oh yeah, wouldn’t consider it without. :laugh:
    Cathy in TX, can I say I have vaccine process organization envy?
    Princess Lisa, did it snow at yours? :love: the fireplace.
    Welcome @xdumler69 ! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?

Slept from 7pm to 2am, a longer than normal (5hr) stretch for me. Gave up tossing and turning and got up at 3. Activity will be challenging, it sounds like Noah's weather outside. There will be a nap today ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 11, weigh/wii: 11/11, steps>5592=3352  vits=11 log=11 CI<CO=11 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble 5=11 Shadow 5=9 mfp=10 outside=12 up hill=10
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=2 dance=4 clean 60 mins=2 packwalk=2, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142.
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=5 play=7 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,600 Member
    KJ - Correct! :D<3
    And what about this grumpy individual? :p

mcwrta4zlccc.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited January 2021
    Did my workout this morning 500cals burned. Went for a walk this afternoon 1 hour set my Fitbit on workout because there is no setting for walk and it says burned 400cals. Don’t know how accurate this is maybe need to ask on a Fitbit thread. How many cals do you walkers reckon to burn, just an average as I know we all have different strides and pace. Not too bothered just curious but happy to get out in fresh air. Blue sky but cold.
    At least I can enjoy my Hairy Bikers cassoulet without guilt having burnt quite a few calories.

HEATHER it’s amazing how quickly the grands grow up, mine are 20 and nearly 18, seems no time since they were born

Kate UK ❤️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,060 Member
    Dlfk20200- I’m so sorry for your loss 😢
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    (((Allie))): I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

Debbie in Napa: I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

Barbara: I have no expectation for vaccine in the near future. As far as I know, there has been none available in my community. It would be a reasonable idea to contact our doctor and find out whether DH’s situation would allow an earlier vaccination. Our doctor’s office does not have it, and our local pharmacy doesn’t, either. They don’t know when they will get it. I’m more than a little disappointed in the lack of speed here. :grumble: There is another pharmacy here in town and DH gests his MS medicine through them. A call there will let us know whether there is anything available in our county. :grumble:

Heather: The northern lights in Scotland are beautiful. Thank you so much sharing. :star:

Katla in NW Oregon

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,993 Member
    Morning ladies
    They gave me melatonin and that helped so got some rest ,blood drawn vitals done,went for a walk and did some PT... im splurging and having a chef salad for lunch...with some pears.
    Debbie- so sorry to hear about your dad,its si hard losing a parent,my deepest sympathies
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited January 2021
    Kate UK- It depends how fast you walk! MFP gives about 230 calories for a moderate pace. When I 'jog' I give myself 350 as it's halfway between a run and a walk. A very brisk walk would give you around 300 I guess. Whatever it is, it's better than sitting on the couch! :D
    Today, so far, I've walked up to the pharmacy to collect a prescription and along to the Co-op for some fruit and bread. They are almost empty of people, so a better choice than some other shops. I think there was one other person in there apart from a couple of staff. She wanted me to use the self service, but I refused. No problem as she went straight to the till. ;)
    I've unpacked the shopping and done quite a bit of cooking and walking around my house, so I'm counting 100 bonus calories so far. I will take myself upstairs and do 20 minutes rowing. I can do my languages at the same time.

Tonight's meal is clearing out the bottom of the fridge. Leftover vegetables curry with a base of lentils for bulk. In it there are onions, garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes, zucchini, red pepper, and tomatoes. I've made a raita to go with it.
    May have to sleep separately tonight. Lentils do that to me. :D

All good. Here's one more photo.

9bnjcys87rdw.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Heather

Your grands are really cute!

Lisa

Love the fire in your fireplace.

Allie

Hang in there.

Gloomy day in Georgia,
    Carol

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 966 Member
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Did my workout this morning 500cals burned. Went for a walk this afternoon 1 hour set my Fitbit on workout because there is no setting for walk and it says burned 400cals. Don’t know how accurate this is maybe need to ask on a Fitbit thread. How many cals do you walkers reckon to burn, just an average as I know we all have different strides and pace. Not too bothered just curious but happy to get out in fresh air.
    Kate UK ❤️

I typically burn about 300 calories per 4 miles/6.4km at a 16ish minute pace.

Debbie - So sorry about what you've been through and are still going through. Hugs.

There is no real plan for us to get the vaccine here. They are still doing first responders and those working in medical environments and are not very far along in that process.

Tina in CA
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited January 2021
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Did my workout this morning 500cals burned. Went for a walk this afternoon 1 hour set my Fitbit on workout because there is no setting for walk and it says burned 400cals. Don’t know how accurate this is maybe need to ask on a Fitbit thread. How many cals do you walkers reckon to burn, just an average as I know we all have different strides and pace. Not too bothered just curious but happy to get out in fresh air. Blue sky but cold.
    At least I can enjoy my Hairy Bikers cassoulet without guilt having burnt quite a few calories.

HEATHER it’s amazing how quickly the grands grow up, mine are 20 and nearly 18, seems no time since they were born

Kate UK ❤️

I burn about 80 calories per mile -- that is briskly walking (according to Goggle Fit and the treadmill at the fitness center where I used to go back in the before times.) I think it does depend upon pace, stride, and weight. Maybe age? I don't know about that one.

ETA -- I see Tina put in her pace -- When I am "workout" walking, I walk between 14-15 minute miles.

Flea
    Where it has been raining non-stop for at least 48 hours.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 966 Member
    Machka - The canoeing destination looks so serene! You have beautiful scenery there.

Tina
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,650 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Allie))): I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:

Debbie in Napa: I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

Barbara: I have no expectation for vaccine in the near future. As far as I know, there has been none available in my community. It would be a reasonable idea to contact our doctor and find out whether DH’s situation would allow an earlier vaccination. Our doctor’s office does not have it, and our local pharmacy doesn’t, either. They don’t know when they will get it. I’m more than a little disappointed in the lack of speed here. :grumble: There is another pharmacy here in town and DH gests his MS medicine through them. A call there will let us know whether there is anything available in our county. :grumble:

Heather: The northern lights in Scotland are beautiful. Thank you so much sharing. :star:

Katla in NW Oregon

I'm in a different state right now, but Washington is no better. No word on when my mother will be in line. Yet, one of my niece's co-workers, who is definitely under 50, was able to get one because he told his local Fred Meyer pharmacy that he was an 'essential' worker, and provided the code for their office. Even if he had some kind of underlying condition, he wouldn't qualify as 1A because he isn't in a congregate living facility, nor is he a medical worker. He's just an office guy. The receptionist at the hospital lab where my mother had blood drawn said that she hasn't even been vaccinated yet. And she is in contact with sick people all day long!

Oh, well. Speaking for myself, I am ready for this all to be done, and I know it can't be until most of us have been vaccinated. I would like that to be in 2021, please.

I was hoping to leave today and head back home. I discussed my plans with my mother yesterday, and she said she wasn't ready for me to leave yet. That is not like my mother, to admit to needing/wanting help. So I am staying for a couple more days.

Take care.

Flea
    On the Olympic peninsula where the rain is relentless

• bananasandoranges
    @auntiebk
    Julie I was wondering the same about a way for them to test Allie’s blood, but couldn’t think of the word “port”. Thanks! “intensive knitting”
    :laugh:
    Good things number 7, well done!
    I actually had to google it cause I couldn't remember the word port, either.

Look what they saw in Scotland last night!

@cityjaneLondon Heather, wow! awesome to see them in Scotland. I didn't know one could. I went to Iceland 2 days (stop over) in late august, to the city...no lights, though that particularly year I think there were a bit in the north even in august. I just read they go till late August! but unpredictable! When I went to Iceland for 2 days I had a bad stomach flu! so it was all I could do to go out a bit from time to time for half days. No expeditions, as I had hoped and envisioned! it was a bust! but I was still not regretful to have caught a glimpse of the place, so oft talked about over the past decade or so...and the unlimited hot, hot, hot water, and the cold cold ocean water, and the moonlike, almost plantless landscape...
  • bananasandoranges
    dozed off on sofa after a 30 min walk at leisurely pace.

now it's 7pm. illegal to go out after 8pm. It's dark, rainy, and all is closed, other than shops.

could clean, could work...

have been a little interested in making sugar free baked goods, but already have the end of 1 batch of sugar-free bean brownies in the freezer and another different recent batch and thin slices of (with sugar, bakery, no frosting) GF carrot cake in the freezer, so I think I'm good for the frozen cake bits department for this week!

I tried making creamy things with nice texture greek-style soy yogurt, maple syrup, cocoa powder, 1t of oil or tahini...maybe a few bits of blended fruit, or cardamom. Not bad. experimenting, to make a GF, Dairy free, sugar-free creamy thing. The final deal could be to make a composition with, say 2 types of compatible GF sugar-free cakes, 1 or 2 kinds of creamy or creamy-fruity bits, and a sugar free chocolate and/or caramel, all in a reasonable sized portion, to make a very fancy GF, sugar free pastry. I can do that now but it's not a perfect mix of flavours like it sometimes is at the upscale bakery. I have a long way to go to get to that perfect blend(if I ever get there-that is their profession! I just have half an hour here and there at most!)
  • cityjaneLondon
    Oh Allie, wishing you relief and love. We are there with you and cheering you on. <3

Who is the baby in the saucepan?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx