WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have to say I have never been a fan of exercise, I would much rather curl up with a great book, but if I can combine exercise into other things I guess it tricks my brain into thinking I am having fun?

I have discovered a love of hiking. I find I can walk an extremely long way if I am in a lovely environment marching up and down hills with the dog is fun. By the same token if I am on a treadmill or walking a track at the gym, I find myself dying and watching the clock until I have reached my required number of steps. When outside somewhere pretty, I WANT to keep going to see what is around the next bend. I especially love walking on the beach and when I combine that with squatting every few minutes to search for interesting shells all the better

I grew up with horse and still get on occasionally. Since I ride hunt seat it really is good exercise. I like the communication I have with the horse when I am riding. I hope to do more of it soon. My daughter purchased a yearling and he is just now being broke to the saddle for his two year old year. If he is a good boy, I might get up there in a few years once he has learned his job.

I also love kayaking. We have two inflatable kayaks that we rarely get the chance to use, but I love to go with my daughter, my husband does not care for it, so I can only do it when she is home. I am not a confident swimmer so would not go out on the water alone. A close fourth would be bike riding with the same problem as hiking, I love it when I am going somewhere and hate it when I am on my exercise bike at home.

I too did the Richard Simmons thing back in the 80s. My teacher friend and I actually had an afterschool fitness club and the kids would join us and we would all dance to the oldies, lol.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Heather

I know that you shop a lot on Amazon just as I have done over the past several years. My question is: Have you noticed a large increase in the prices that are being charged? I tried to order an 8 pack of 12 oz cokes for my brother-in-law and they were priced at almost $15. In the store, wuld cost $4.99. I'm beginning to think that most of the things I have ordered there are priced higher to cover the supposedly free shipping to Prime members.

Carol
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Barbara” Rita March 1 is me. Would you like to zoom a birthday visit? How frustrating about the DDS.”. The zoom would be awesome! I’ve never used it but have used others. Pm me!

RvRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Dream travel fly to Australia, Paris, Rome, London, Jerusalem.

Favorite food all foods, if I could eat anything and not get fat or sick, it would be French and Italian pastries!

Favorite Exercise walking and hiking. Years ago it was aerobics and karate! Lol

RvRita
  • kevrit
    Options
    Yesterday was first day I felt like my old self. Got a ton done like hand washing clothes - 90 minutes, went for 20 min walk, washed floors and rugs in camper, and made a Keto rolled eggplant meal ( turned out really good and tastes like lasagna!

RvRita
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Herd Immunity
    As many people as possible should get the vaccination. Since children cannot be vaccinated (yet), and there are additional adults who either cannot or will not get the vaccine, we need every willing adult to go ahead and get the vaccine, or we will not achieve herd immunity. There simply won’t be enough vaccinated people if well-meaning healthy adults don’t get the vaccine. This is one of those counter-intuitive things…but getting the vaccine is a civic responsibility and everyone that can get it should do so. The goal is to contribute to, not rely on, herd immunity.

Karen in Virginia

If I felt I was not taking a vaccine from someone who must have it to live or work safely, I will gladly get it. I just think, like Suzi, that there isn't going to be enough to go around. And I would feel horrible if someone else who needed it couldn't because I took it. I am definitely pro immunization, and I also get my flu shot. The recent news about the "stockpile" was distressing, and one way to deal with that disappointment is to accept that there won't be one for me anyway and move on.

There is still Johnson and Johnson to come, and that will change the metrics, I hope.

Flea
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I anyone having trouble logging food today? it's been bugging for me all day!
    Does that men I can eat whatever I want (free day?) since it's hard to count?

Corrected 16 texts yesterday and 16 today as planned.
    16 tomorrow and sending some grades tomorrow. And up to 16 next day and send the last grades due Wednesday. Then more to finish for 5 days later.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I remembers stretching to Lilias Yoga on PBS.
    e3yujk6p4p3y.png
    Saw this tee and thought of you PIP!
    ymb90gdhes81.jpg
    A gal posted this on my fasting site
    ypq5qrvpow4o.jpg
    Today I took a hot shower, and coconuted myself from head to toe. Then I just gave myself a massage. My hands neck, feet and all joint areas. I feel refreshed and ready to tackle the day!
    Favorite exercise:
    SWIMMING! My mom used to say I was part fish! When we attended the nudist resort in CA, I used to fold my arms, my legs straight down and bob in the deep end. Friends would be like where is your floatie? I would smile and look down, "these puppies"! Lol!
    Tennis!
    I have been told I have a powerful forehand, and when I do a backhand, I can slice it. But I suck at serving, and the courts need to be bigger. Last time I picked up a racket it was at the nudist resort, and I was hiring around with youngest son and middle son. I need to get back at it. Tennis isn't really a thing in Washington state. I have yet to see a court around here. There is one on base, but is off limits to anyone but active duty.
    Rebecca

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    I remembers stretching to Lilias Yoga on PBS.
    e3yujk6p4p3y.png
    Saw this tee and thought of you PIP!
    ymb90gdhes81.jpg
    A gal posted this on my fasting site
    ypq5qrvpow4o.jpg
    Today I took a hot shower, and coconuted myself from head to toe. Then I just gave myself a massage. My hands neck, feet and all joint areas. I feel refreshed and ready to tackle the day!
    Favorite exercise:
    SWIMMING! My mom used to say I was part fish! When we attended the nudist resort in CA, I used to fold my arms, my legs straight down and bob in the deep end. Friends would be like where is your floatie? I would smile and look down, "these puppies"! Lol!
    Tennis!
    I have been told I have a powerful forehand, and when I do a backhand, I can slice it. But I suck at serving, and the courts need to be bigger. Last time I picked up a racket it was at the nudist resort, and I was hiring around with youngest son and middle son. I need to get back at it. Tennis isn't really a thing in Washington state. I have yet to see a court around here. There is one on base, but is off limits to anyone but active duty.
    Rebecca

Funny, I saw this and two other people tagged me this saying the same thing.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Penny – how long have you lived in Longyearbyen? Could you redecorate yourself? Your pictures are so beautiful. Love them, only don’t love the snow.

Michele NC
    Michele - We've lived here for nearly ten years. When we came we intended to stay only three years and I figured I could stand it for that long. But like so many others we fell in love with the place so we're still here. :heart: Technically, we could redecorate as long as we paid for everything ourselves and didn't change the walls or floors. And I've done what I can with the textiles and other loose stuff. I immediately got rid of the flounced velvet curtains and the fake plastic roses! :rage: Now it's mainly the furniture I'm not pleased with. For example, we have an ox-blood red faux-leather sitting group which is comfortable but hideous, and an imitation antique kitchen table with matching chairs full of blue hearts and flowers. (So-o-o-o not me! I want either genuine antiques or modern functional furniture with clean lines.) There's no furniture store in Svalbard and getting furniture shipped here is a huge hassle. So I grin and bear it. Besides, the stuff we have is serviceable and I feel it's better for the environment if we continue to use it.
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Penny- Thanks for commenting back in regards to your homes. In your description of them, I can see why your island home feels more like "home". I would have a hard time leaving a place that I designed. Your pics are magical! B)

Well, I better fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
    Kelly - It later occurred to me that the most intense "home" feeling I've experienced in the past few decades came when I visited my sister's house in Madison, Wisconsin — a place I'd never even been before! But the house had the same feel as the one I grew up in, in Minneapolis. The same sash windows. The same narrow floorboards that creaked and gave you splinters if you weren't careful. The same little decorative bits of clear leaded glass around the front door. And of course my sister also had some of the furniture from the old house. I slept like a log when I was there.
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Penny I’d’ve been a little nervous to be that close to those antlers. Way too nervous to take such a great pic.
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Barbara - Nervous? That's because you don't know the Svalbard reindeer. They're the most placid creatures on the planet! :heart: They have to conserve energy if they're going to live off their own fat stores and a few meagre dry grass stalks from October through June. Sure, her antlers were right beside my leg, but they're tiny animals. Her withers didn't reach up to my waist, and I'm only 5'2".

Five beautiful things outside
    1) Tiny sparkling ice crystals on the snow
    2) The faint translucence in the inky sky that signals astronomical twilight (=the sun will rise in just four weeks!)
    3) A bunch of day-care kids in the car's headlights - all those little reflector vests!
    4) The Big Dipper, and if I lean back and look straight up, the North Star
    5) The calm liquid eyes of that reindeer :heart:

Nope, no Northern Lights this week. Otherwise they would be on the list.

/Penny, not feeling the least bit deprived at the
    t07190.gif

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Machka

This is from your neck of the woods and is amazing:
    Carol from GA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Carol - I agree about the Amazon pricing. It sure is convenient though.

Karen -
    I was surprised to learn that even if you had Covid you should get vaccinated. I was under the impression that if you had it you couldn't get it again. I guess I was wrong.

Tracey
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: I’m delighted that you are feeling lie your old self. ! Good news! :star:

(((Allie))):

Carol: Your comments about Amazon make sense to me. We order things form there more often than I thought. DH placed an order for KIND Bars from there recently. He was happy with the process. We have Amazon Prime. It can reduce or eliminates shipping costs, depending what it is. :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: We hope to get vaccinated in February. I have been grumpy about the process that has been outlined, although I do realize that vaccine has to be made and shipped. :ohwell:

Flea: I’m more than a little grumpy about the vaccinations here in OR. If we’re lucky, DH & I are listed for some time in February. I want the vaccine in a pharmacy or doctor’s office. I do not want to be in a large, drafty building with hundreds of strangers. :noway:

Lanette: Nice to see you! I like the sunglasses. :wink:

I am looking forward to getting new glasses tomorrow. I will be getting new lenses and want them to be put in the frame I’m currently using. It is light weight & very comfortable for me. My face is healing from the fall I took a couple of weeks ago. The black eye has healed. Only my left wrist is still grumpy. :ohwell:

Katla in Sunny NW Oregon
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Karen -
    I was surprised to learn that even if you had Covid you should get vaccinated. I was under the impression that if you had it you couldn't get it again. I guess I was wrong.

Tracey

My understanding is that they have not found anyone with immunity for longer than a couple of months.

Tina
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options

Karen -

Tracey

In the beginning they were saying the protection from having COVID would last 3 months. Then it was 7 months. So if the vaccine lasts about that long or slightly longer to cover the winter period that would make sense.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Immunity - Over here they are saying about five months, maybe longer. ;):* That's for antibodies, T cells may be longer term.

I think there will be plenty of vaccine to go round. They are saying everyone over 18 will be done by August. The older age group, over 80s, is making good progress. It's being done in strict order so the highest mortality risk gets it first. It's not a free for all. The over 70s are only just starting. Supply is not the problem, distribution may be. The South East of England is lagging behind. My major motivation is to see the grandchildren.

I really fancy a river cruise in Holland and Belgium in my brochure. Some towns I've missed and wanted to visit, like Antwerp, plus one of my favourite celebrity antique experts on board. Plus we have good friends in Amsterdam. But it's May 10th. Not sure what the situation will be by then, so don't want to risk a deposit. Such a worry trying to get it back. Who knows what the rules will be by then, but it's definitely a thought for next year. As soon as the rules are clear we will try to book an ocean cruise somewhere, anywhere at all.

Tomorrow my singing group is having a Zoom meet up and then the leader, Jason is muting us and playing and singing for us to sing along in the privacy of our own homes. :D Should be chaos, but fun!

Love to all. The end is nigh! (In a good way)

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I nearly always find Amazon much cheaper, except when they have supply blips. I wouldn't buy it if it were more expensive. I just wait a bit for the price to go back down.