WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    If I could travel - I need to go to NB to visit Mom and family, but if I had the means and time I would travel Europe. I want to see the Countryside in France, Little seaside villages in Ireland. Architecture and buildings everywhere. I would also like to go to Greece at some point. I don’t want all the tourist attractions, I want to see small towns and villages and see how people live. I guess I would prefer to drive and stay in cute B&B’s or old castles.
    My other dream is an Alaskan Cruise, but I’ve since learned that my idea of a cruise to see the northern lights probably wouldn’t work due to the times of year the cruises end and Northern Lights show their glory.

Pip - nice looking condo - congratulations!!!

Rebecca - happy you took steps to try to connect with son. I agree that family is sharing life’s ups and downs.
    Your pen pal sharing of items reminds me of a thing I did with my cousin. She and I both scrapbooked and she invited me to try this thing called “pocket pages”, we used hockey card binder pages and decorated them with little things tucked into the pockets. One pocket held a letter. I’ll post a pic of an example.

Michele - is Daytona having spectators at the 500? I’m shocked if they are.
    Could Denise just be unsure about travelling as long as Covid is around. Are the States not encouraged to stay home and not travel from State to state?

Kim - I love your ingenuity in fixing your thermostat.

Machka - I’m sorry about your husbands report. Sometimes what we see we can explain away without it being written somewhere.
    That’s a unique Christmas tree, did you buy it or make it?

Penny - what a beautiful walk you had.

Rita - those birds are thinking they’ve trained a human I bet. 😂

Allie - great news on not requiring a transplant. Hopefully the next surgery is a success.

Susie - I slept until 10 one day last weekend and my husband actually came to check on me. I don’t sleep in very often anymore.

Betsy - I don’t understand why he would be shocked or angry that you chose to get vaccinated anyway. I wouldn’t consider it selfish I would consider it smart that you did. Happy Anniversary.

Cheri - Happy Birthday.

Flea - welcome home. I would eat baked potatoes every night if I could get away with it. They are my favourite!

I have had a very lazy long weekend. When I got home from work on Thursday Rodger was watching the last few minutes of Cobra Kai, Season 3. He finished while I made supper. When he was done he told me that he thought I would enjoy it and that he would be willing to rewatch it with me. He never rewatches anything unless he really enjoys it so I agreed. He started it back at Season 1 and we ended up doing nothing else until last night because we decided to also watch all 3 Karate kid movies. The last time we watched any amount of tv together was Christmas Eve and day. I wasn’t about to discourage it. Funnily enough I am I less pain this weekend than I have been. I have had the heating pad on almost all weekend.

Today I did go and help a friend who has to move her Mom into a care facility. She is giving my daughter a 12 place set of dishes that includes serving bowls, platters, casserole pans all Corelle. All different bowls and plates. It is the pattern I had when she was growing up so her nostalgic heart is quite happy.

I am now sitting on the heating pad again and have just managed to get all caught up with you.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Tracey, I have friendship booklets, flip books and junk journals, each pen pal making theirs so unique. It makes me look at every paper item I throw into the recycling! I cut the logo of FRUIT LOOPS from the cereal box, because it looked interesting! I carefully took off my Italian mineral water label because I knew it would look interesting! I'm a paper hoarder!
    Lol
    Rebecca
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Rebecca ... Athena is a cutie!

Flea ... my 90+ year old parents are ordering from Schwanns too. They have found some favorite meals. They also use DoorDash and Uber eats for restaurant delivery and Instacart for groceries which often includes grocery prepared meals. Just within the past month they discovered their senior center is providing meals on Tuesday and Friday. Due to Covid, it’s a drive thru deal, they never get out of their car. Catered meals at $5 each! They’re ecstatic and say 90% have been delicious. Perhaps your Mom’s community has something similar. This is not income driven in their town.

Beth
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Interesting article ... a few of those are good choices, I think. Photography, languages, getting fit. Depends what kind of travel you're interested in doing if/when we can travel again!

Travel skills: 10 things you can learn while waiting for international travel to resume
    https://www.traveller.com.au/travel-skills-10-things-you-can-learn-while-waiting-for-international-travel-to-resume-h1tcry

"So, you're grounded right now. No international travel. Even crossing state borders seems dicey.

You could spend this enforced layover wallowing in your own wanderlust-driven misery, which would be reasonable. Or, you could take the opportunity to better yourself, to gain new skills and qualifications to ensure that the next time you leave Australia's shores you'll get far more out of the experience than you would have before.

This enforced break is the ideal time to "upskill", to learn to do things you previously couldn't, to open up new ways of seeing, new ways of doing, and new ways of appreciating."

Next "getting to know you" question ...

If you could travel, where would you like to go? You can name a few places if you want.

How would you like to travel?

Backpackers style - public transportation & hostels?
    Cycletouring - bicycles & campgrounds?
    Luxury - car rental & hotels?
    Some combination?
    Other?
    Machka in Oz

My husband and I did a lot of travelling up to early 2018 ... and then it all came to a screeching halt.

If we could travel again the first thing I'd do is to fly to the mainland and see how my husband did with that. There are several places I'd like to see again, and I'd love to do at least one of the rail journeys: https://journeybeyondrail.com.au/

Then perhaps New Zealand. I would love to spend a couple weeks there.

Then we would give Canada a go ... to see my family. I expect I'd have to create an itinerary there with the shortest times in the air as possible.

If he was OK with travelling, our list included travel by air, train and bicycle:

Japan - again but more
    South Korea
    UK - again but more
    France - again but more
    Switzerland - again but more
    Italy
    Serbia
    Greece
    Romania
    The train across Russia - Trans-Siberian Railway

And then perhaps without the bicycles various other spots around the world.

If/when we move to Canada, I'd like to move to the lower mainland BC/Vancouver Island area, but I would like to spend some time exploring Quebec and the Maritimes.
    M in Oz
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I am curious about your DH's not wanting to travel. Is there a health reason behind it? Or is it a new fear/anxiety since his brain injury? I wonder, as COVID restraints lift, if you are able to take little jaunts and gradually widen the adventure territory; if he might grow more comfortable with it. I wonder if reminiscing about some of your old adventures might ease the anxiety? Sorry if I pry or assume; just my brain thinking about you. <3

KJ (Kelly)
    He wants to travel!

But because of Worker's Compensation law, we have not been able to leave Tasmania without penalty since 2018 and for the foreseeable future, so here we stay.

We do travel around Tasmania a few times a year and that's mostly OK.

However, because of his brain injury, he suffers debilitating fatigue so we have to plan everything around giving him time for a nap in the afternoons. Even long drives wear him out ... if it were me, I'd fall asleep but he feels like he needs to be on the alert.

He also likes routine much more now whereas I like to just go with the flow while on holiday, so we're trying to work out a compromise on that.

In the past, we would plan a trip around Tassie that would have maybe 2 days in each spot. Get to a spot, do one thing, go on to the next, etc. Now we stay in a spot for several days so that we can establish a bit of routine.

We have been warned about air travel, that he will likely struggle with it. Being cooped up, the changes in air pressure, information overload in the airports, dealing with people, etc.

M in Oz

@KJLaMore ... just a bit more of an explanation of the debilitating fatigue ...
    Think about when one of the kids you take care of gets super tired and what happens. That's pretty much what happens with him too.

"Common associated symptoms include: impaired memory and concentration capacity, slowness of thinking, irritability, tearfulness, sound and light sensitivity, sensitivity to stress, sleep problems, lack of initiative and headache."
    https://www.intechopen.com/books/traumatic-brain-injury/long-lasting-mental-fatigue-after-traumatic-brain-injury-a-major-problem-most-often-neglected-diagno

"Signs of fatigue can be a drawn, a tense look, a pale or greyish pallor, glazed eyes, irritability and, ironically, too much activity. (the person may become restless, more distracted or more talkative and make an increased number of mistakes.)"
    https://www.braininjury-explanation.com/consequences/invisible-consequences/neurofatigue

Those sorts of things combined with frontal lobe damage can send him into one of a few different sorts of meltdowns, right there, wherever he is at the moment when the fatigue overtakes him. We could be in the car, in a store, or wherever.

So it takes some planning and preparation on my part for us to do anything and it gets rather complicated.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Getting to Know You Question:

What is your favourite exercise? Or maybe top 3, if you do several things.

Mine would be:

Cycling
    Walking

And then I run into kind of a tie between hiking, running, and rowing inside or canoeing outside.

M in Oz
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Rebecca ... Athena is a cutie!

Flea ... my 90+ year old parents are ordering from Schwanns too. They have found some favorite meals. They also use DoorDash and Uber eats for restaurant delivery and Instacart for groceries which often includes grocery prepared meals. Just within the past month they discovered their senior center is providing meals on Tuesday and Friday. Due to Covid, it’s a drive thru deal, they never get out of their car. Catered meals at $5 each! They’re ecstatic and say 90% have been delicious. Perhaps your Mom’s community has something similar. This is not income driven in their town.

Beth

That is so wonderful, Beth! Unfortunately, my mother lives in a quite remote area, so Uber eats and Door Dash are not available. (I checked while I was there because I was craving curry and pho.) However, Instacart is available, and she does use that for grocery delivery. She can't drive anymore, which is going to be really sad when her senior center starts having events again. She enjoyed that community. The Inn attached to the country club where she lives does deliver, however. And she has had them deliver a meal once in a while. They are a bit spendy but because the servings are so large and she is so small, she can usually make one of their meals last 3 or 4 meals!

But thank God so much is actually available to her. She doesn't shop Amazon, but we have sent her things using that method through our accounts.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options

M in Oz

Hiking
    Kayaking
    Walking

Walking is all I've been doing lately. I was hoping to get some kayaking in while I was at my mom's, but the weather was not conducive. Both my niece and I keep our kayaks in my mother's garage since she is the one with the lake!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    M in OZ: My favorite exercises include yoga, horseback riding, sailing, riding my terratryke, & going for walks along a sandy beach. :star: Unfortunately, I haven’t had much of a chance to do many of those things in quite a while. I have been able to ride my terratryke on its trainer in the garage. I don’t go anywhere on the tryke, but I get to burn calories and stress away in my own garage regardless of weather. Other than that, I get a lot of walking in while shopping for food. :ohwell:

I am envious of those who’ve had their Covid vaccinations. We aren’t likely to be able to do that before some time in February.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: Athena is a cutie. It was fun to see her photo. ❤️
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Cheri!

Congrats on the new homePip!

Allie - I agree with whomever suggested a patient advocate or navigator. I know they had such people in Sioux Falls.

Betsy - Happy anniversary.

Quiet day here today. Recording for virtual choir tomorrow. Joining step challenge with DD and friends again this week. My goal last week was 7500 steps a day and I averaged slightly over 7000. I will try for 7500 per day again.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Exercise - my first is dancing, but the Lindyhop group I go to is closed for the covid. DH comes with me and likes the people, but doesn't really enjoy the dancing. I have danced, in one form or another, all my life. I started at the age of three. :D My knee doesn't like it, but I am careful. On cruises I'm dancing three times a day!

My second is running, but I have only done it once since I injured my gluteal tendon in November. I really only shuffle along, but I love it. I feel like a clockwork bunny once I get going. Running on the seafront is glorious.

I also adore swimming, but the circumstances have to be right for me. The business of getting in and out of the water is not fun. I swim on cruises and in good hotels as it's very civilised. I am a rather good swimmer and do it properly, hat, goggles, breathing rhythm etc. Once I am in, I'm in heaven and can go for ages.

If I won the lottery (!!!!) a luxurious private pool would be a priority. One I could use all year with some kind of sliding roof/door arrangement. :D I have looked at villas to hire abroad for a week or so with very big pools and may do that in the future for a special treat. Unfortunately, the big pools usually come with enormous houses, and enormous prices, but there are exceptions. Plus, I'm going off flying and all the hassle of airports. We can cruise from local ports and have chauffeur driven transport there with pick up from the front door. I'm all for the easy option these days. :)

I have very much enjoyed kayaking in the past, a long time ago. On French rivers.

The exercise I actually do is on my three machines in our tiny spare room. Rowing, elliptical and recumbent bike. I can say they have literally saved my life. Every day I am on them for an hour and a half in the morning. I then usually do a half hour, or more, in the afternoon if I'm not running or walking by the sea. I love them all and daily thank them for their service in keeping this old lady fit. This old lady used to be obese and almost crippled with knee and hip problems.
    Thank you machines and my DH who encouraged me to change my life.
    The best thing about the machines is that I can eat!!!

I used to despise exercise, apart from dancing and congenial swimming, but now I love it and need it every day. I also spend time every day on yoga and pilates type floor work, with strength training and weights. About 20 minutes.

One exercise I really am not keen on is hiking. For some reason everything hurts. I'm not built for walking. I find running 3 miles much easier than walking and more than about 4 or 5 becomes very painful. I've always been the same, so it's not an age thing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Bit breezy out there!

rx0msea1o314.png
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Good Morning
    Managed to get my mum booked in for her first Covid vaccination on Thursday (over here in UK you get a letter from NHS inviting you to book an appointment) Brilliant news -just heard on the radio that they will now start vaccinating the Over 70s. A new vaccination centre has opened up to help with the demand, that's where we'll be taking mum on Thursday, sounds as if everything is very organised, they said to allow 30 to 40 mins for the whole process.

I went for a little walk yesterday to meet up with my daughter who was walking our dog. Still feels a bit achey when walking so don't quite feel up to a long walk yet, but thought I'd test a small walk. I quite enjoyed it, the weather was cold but bright and it was good to be out in the fresh air. As long as it's not icy, I'll try and get a longer walk in today.

Allie good news about not needing a transplant, sorry you were having a bad night due to other patients.

Exercise
    I don't really enjoy exercise :D I tried running but it didn't agree with me, and I can't swim so anything with water is out. Just before I fell I joined an on line exercise class/challenge with trainer Anna Cousins I was getting into the swing of things too, I'm hoping to get back exercising soon - I know it is good for me!

Travel
    I've only been abroad once - to Tenerife with my hubby, we went to visit his mother who had retired there. It was a lovely experience.
    I'd love to visit more places in the UK, there are so many interesting places to see.
    I would love to go on a cruise though, (don't know if I'd be okay with sea sickness or not), but from what I've heard a cruise has everything going for it. Who knows, maybe one day .......

Better make a start on the day, lots to do and I have to do things slowly/carefully, still can't stretch out my right arm as I found yesterday when trying to put clothes away in the wardrobe - ouch!

Take care
    Love Viv UK <3

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    @dandl1986 - You are so right about finding beauty in our grey winter. I will say that the snow today makes it look like we are inside a living snowglobe.

@cj3teach - Welcome. Stick with us and you will find lots of support!

So the book I am reading is "sugar shock" . With hypoglycemia and yeast issues, I thought it was a great idea. I generally do eat fairly healthy. Few processed foods, little alcohol, and the only sweetened drink is honey in my coffee or hot tea. However, the book has made me second guess some of my choices. I do reach for chocolates when I am bored, hungry, and or thirsty. I was sitting here thinking I am hungry, went to grab candy, told myself I needed food. I made egg burrito with power greens and tomato with a side of unsweetened applesauce. Non-scale victory! Dinner is out with friends tonight. Last night shared with husband at dinner. It was perfect serving size. He won't share tonight. 😉

Kylia

@kymarai I find sugar so short-term addictive. I was eating chocolate and desserts pretty freely and often especially since lockdown. No binges, not dramatically but a bit here and there -particulary during 1st severe lockdown, for entertainment: new treat. But for past weeks I've had very little and my craving for it changes dramatically in a couple of weeks. when I bought this fancy pastry last week I didn't even like it that much. What do they say about wine? I like to have a glass as a remaining treat on occasion.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options

Mine would be:

Cycling
    Walking

And then I run into kind of a tie between hiking, running, and rowing inside or canoeing outside.

M in Oz

-Walking
    -Swimming outside in nature in not cold water with friend or family

-I used to like running but can't anymore, so not sure it's good to count that.
    - I haven't done it in ages but I used to quite enjoy cross country skiing. I bit like walking but more slide-y.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    oh, yeah! dancing replaces cross country skiing. I love it!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Exercise

If I won the lottery (!!!!) a luxurious private pool would be a priority. One I could use all year with some kind of sliding roof/door arrangement. :D I have looked at villas to hire abroad for a week or so with very big pools and may do that in the future for a special treat. Unfortunately, the big pools usually come with enormous houses, and enormous prices, but there are exceptions. Plus, I'm going off flying and all the hassle of airports. We can cruise from local ports and have chauffeur driven transport there with pick up from the front door. I'm all for the easy option these days. :)
    The exercise I actually do is on my three machines in our tiny spare room. Rowing, elliptical and recumbent bike. I can say they have literally saved my life. Every day I am on them for an hour and a half in the morning....

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

NICE POOLS
    It's not a private pool, but if you go to trouville or deauville, just across the channel some day, (trouville I find much more down home with more cozy reasonable places to eat, buy food, have coffee than the upscale deauville a few hundred meters away) deauville has the best public pool! olympic size, fed with (heated) ocean water, (ocean just meters away), glass ceiling. I went 2 or 3 times last summer when in trouville and it was 5 star for me. such a nice moment, for laps...they had much reduced numbers and strict circulation rules during the summer. it is said that cover doesn't spread in water but could spread on surfaces.

We went to the Fairmount princess in scottsdale AZ one time and they have nice pool too, and option for SMALL private pool. We went in off-off-off season in August (no-one goes visiting Phoenix in august since you can barely walk outside) cause that's when we were free and we needed to see family, so it was very very cut rate...and they upgraded us. no need to take the sauna though, just walk out the door for 30 seconds or more between 7 am and 6pm...

@HEATHER @cityjaneLondon You have surely said it before, but what do you do while on the machines? is that when you do your language stuff, or other stuff. I like exercise, and machines is ok, but quite boring if not doing something else for me. For walking or swimming I can just get into the movement and sensations and feelings and that is really enough. but on machines, not so much. And do you do 30 per machine most days? I would go for a rower if I got a second machine I think. elliptical is what I used most at gym but I think a good one would take up so much space.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    Back from hospital. Got my second bone marrow aspiration. They had lost my last one, done about 8 weeks ago. The Dr told me to go on monday as a really experienced guy would be doing the aspiration. It was the same intern as last November. He started doing this...last November! At the time there were 2 people and they were asking one another how to fill in form and saying to one another that they didn't know how. And the sample was not sent to xxx for work, to get results weeks later...so nearly 7 weeks later redo. I was not reassured. Plus there was a lot of misinformation at registration. I was in the right building and one person registering told me I was in the wrong building and I should have checked, and was quite unpleasant. This is unfortunately part of the unfriendly non-customer service that is common in France. (as much as it has many other good sides). Rosy a francofile on expat youtube channel, "Not Even French" rightly explains that in France adults don't hesitate to "give lessons" to other adults and treat them like children. I find it no end of disrespectful compared to customer service in the usa (and maybe other places too), but that is part of the culture, love it or leave it!

Lots of papers to correct...and classes to teach...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Grateful
    1. Bone Marrow aspiration went quickly. Appointment at 10:10 (arrived 30 min early) and out before 10:40. Less stressful 2nd time, and I knew not to plan to walk the 30 min home this time (one can -it's not dangerous - but it felt uncomfortable). It was not painful. and not to plan other non-required stuff for day. Glad to stay home today.
    2. Got to speak Italian a bit today. Fun! I don't speak well! but I get by. a family member of the owner of the café I go to was serving today and speaking a bit of Italian not much French, so I got to speak a little Italian; it was really fun since we can't travel. Italy tends to be my favorite place to travel too.
    3. Mutually supportive colleagues
    4. tasty GF Toast (yesterday)
    5. butter
    6. morning cereal
    7. Bananas !
    8. plain soy yogurt with nice texture

Good things done
    1. followed up on blood work actively
    2. Corrected about 20 texts yesterday and during early insomnia today (I'm aiming for about 16 per day, so 16 yesterday and 4 in wee hours today-12 more- they take about 10 minutes per text!)
    3. Have been keeping cane sugar consumption to a real minimum
    4. have been keeping home okay and doing decluttering sessions, so making headway
    5. Made bank transfer (very time consuming: 1h on hold, then 1h45 min on hold before getting someone..!)
    6. Worked on tricky letter w colleague this weekend
    7. bought cloth for trundle sofa bed to go with curtains..it's not perfect but better and ok for now;