WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    No formal exercise since I work today, just the steps. Have a dentist appt tomorrow (I’d made this about a year ago) so have the day off. The plan is to do Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD.

M – some states have requirements before you enter it (like quarantine, or you have to have a negative COVID test. FL doesn’t have any requirements. Is there maybe an app that your states have that is up-to-date on the requirements to/not to enter each state? Then again, that wouldn’t help you much if things changed while you were in the state. It seems that kids who were allowed to do things like drink water out of a hose, be outside, etc seem to have fewer allergies. The Amish people have fewer and the thought is because they are out in the fields as kids and exposed to the different elements (hay, bacteria in manure, etc).

Tracey – I guess some men are just stubborn about going to the md. Now Vince is just the opposite. If he’s feeling even the slightest bit under the weather, if this lasts for a few days, he’s right at the md. When we moved to NC and had our medical files transferred, his was inches (multiple) thick. Mine was maybe an inch thick

Good day at work today. Over 6,000 steps. PLUS…Newcomer bowling is tonight

SuziQ – great bonfire. Oh, how’s getting the vaccine going in FL?

KJ – you have been waiting a long time for that license. I’m so glad you’re finally getting it. Woohoo on the walking. Bet you don’t have any overweight kiddos

Barbie – how wonderful that you’re getting the vaccine! I can’t wait to be able to get it. I know some people won’t take it. I guess if I were 20 or 30 I’d be concerned about the long-term effects. But at my age? Not so much

Baking a loaf of sourdough bread right now. A lady from Newcomer bowling asked me for some of my starter so I’m also making her a loaf of bread. Only thing is…it’s been rising for quite a while. I’m sure it’ll turn out OK. I made a small one in a ramekin for myself so I’ll try it and if it isn’t decent, I won’t give it to her Update: it did

Bananas – we sent a package to Denise on 12/15 and she STILL doesn’t have it. I’m so sorry that your results were lost

Newcomer bowling this evening.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Oh, my, Machka. I am all in favor of public health and obeying the rules, but I would have a difficult time supporting those measures. We really are a different breed in this country.

Thanks for explaining!

Flea

I think most people here are quite happy with what our states have done. Of course, a few think there should be stronger lockdowns and a few think things should be more open.

Right now, there's a call for Tasmania to "pull up our drawbridges" again and keep mainlanders out, but so far we're somewhat open to them.

I don't find the measures particularly restrictive. The Worker's Compensation measures are stricter and personally, I'm "imposing" more restrictive measures on my husband and myself in the interests of our own health.

exermom wrote: »
    M – some states have requirements before you enter it (like quarantine, or you have to have a negative COVID test. FL doesn’t have any requirements. Is there maybe an app that your states have that is up-to-date on the requirements to/not to enter each state? Then again, that wouldn’t help you much if things changed while you were in the state.

Michele NC

Each state has a website, app, etc. with the latest information for that state. But we can't predict what's going to happen tomorrow.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    Oo
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I love the photo of the cliffs, the hiker, the lake and canoe. Beautiful! :star: I admire your walking trails and paths. They're beautiful, too. :star:

Tracey: We don’t have a public health office to call. As far as I know, there has been no vaccine available in our county so far. I’ve heard that Walgreens will be the pharmacy to use, rather than our usual pharmacy. DH is likely to be vaccinated well before me--if vaccine ever arrives. Our daughter in Illinois got her first covid vaccination the other day. I count that a blessing. :heart:

Pip: “Our fur kids like to have stuffed animals.” Thanks for sharing the lovely photo. :bigsmile:

SuziQ: There are living trees, cut trees and artificial trees. I get a kick out of growing a live tree and bringing it in for Christmas. Living trees are growing in dirt—in my case the tree is growing in a pot. It is far less likely to dry out and become a fire hazard than a cut tree. I don’t know of many others than me who bring a living tree in for Christmas. Several of my neighbors have very nice artificial trees that they can use year after year. :smiley:

(((Allie))): I hope your surgery on Friday is a total success. Waiting is soooo hard. You will continue to be in my prayers. I am looking forward to seeing you back at home, dancing a jig and happy. :heart:

Lisa: We recently found a new dentist after our previous dentist closed his practice because of health problems. The new dentist is a woman and very good at what she does. I hope you are able to find someone who is right for you. :star:

I spent time this morning watching the US House of Representatives on CNN. I found the procedure for discussion was interesting. Sometimes one of the representatives would give another representative some of their personal allowed time—one or two minutes at a time in some cases. I believe the next hearings will be held in the Senate. We live in challenging times. :ohwell:

Katla in NW Oregon, where the river is "three feet high & rising"--- (I can hear Johnny Cash singing this in my mind as I look out.)
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am feeling really grateful for the mild winter we are having so far. It was so nice this past weekend that dh, doggo, and I walked a total of 8 miles. We met up with daughter and son in law on Saturday, all masked up and outdoors. My daughter is an emergency room pharmacist so she is adamant about how we can get together during the pandemic. So, it was uplifting to see them this weekend and BUMBLE dog was ecstatic to have young people who would run with him. We also visited Caesar Creek State Park and hiked to a small waterfall, it was lovely and puppy was so happy. He came home a very muddy but tongue out happy dog. Today we got in another 3 miles on our local path. Expecting some bad weather to come through this weekend, but sure can't complain about being in Ohio in January and being outside and comfortable with a light jacket, beanie, and gloves. Feel pretty positive about will power right now too. Sticking with the program. Had a job interview this week and got asked back for a second so that also made me happy. Lots to be grateful for this month so far.

Dogs: love them! My feelings about dogs is there is no bad dogs only owners who do not respect the rights of others. Dogs need to be trained, exercised, and loved. If a dog is spending 8-10 hours to day in a crate or alone in the house, then it is bound to be unhappy, easily excitable, and not really trained for public. I highly recommend AKC classes to everyone I know. My dog and I have been through all star puppy class, canine good citizen, and advanced canine good citizen. These classes teach the skills you need to really bring up a well socialized and happy dog. Even though we have passed each test, I am taking the advanced class again just because it keeps me practicing skills. I learn so much about how to work with my dog. Once the pandemic ends, we hope to take the urban canine good citizen test and therapy dog test. I feel very confident about taking my dog on all sorts of adventures because he is a trustworthy and polite companion. It is and should be as much work to raise a good dog as it does to raise a great kiddo.

What was my first job? Babysitting, but my first real job was as a cashier at Burger King.

What makes me laugh? My son can probably make me laugh harder than anyone I know. He has a wicked sense of humor and he knows how to use it. When we play games as a family, he has us all in stitches with his sarcasm and silliness.

Could I give a 40 minute presentation? Absolutely, I led professional development for teachers for many years and had to do lectures that lasted full days or multi-days on a variety of education topics. These days I could probably lead a lecture on scrapbooking, horse showing, or travel.

Hope you all are having a great month!
    dee
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    It seems that kids who were allowed to do things like drink water out of a hose, be outside, etc seem to have fewer allergies. The Amish people have fewer and the thought is because they are out in the fields as kids and exposed to the different elements (hay, bacteria in manure, etc).

Michele NC

I grew up in a rural area in the midwest, drinking out of the hose, running around in the pastures, throwing hay, taking care of farm animals, etc. and I am filled with allergies. I wasn't when I was a kid, but now I seem to be allergic to every pollen in the southwest.

Tina in CA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    It seems that kids who were allowed to do things like drink water out of a hose, be outside, etc seem to have fewer allergies. The Amish people have fewer and the thought is because they are out in the fields as kids and exposed to the different elements (hay, bacteria in manure, etc).

Michele NC

I grew up in a rural area in the midwest, drinking out of the hose, running around in the pastures, throwing hay, taking care of farm animals, etc. and I am filled with allergies. I wasn't when I was a kid, but now I seem to be allergic to every pollen in the southwest.

Tina in CA

Yes, me too. I was (and still am? :sunglasses: ) very much and outdoor kid. In the yard, in the grass, in the mud, in the garden, riding my bicycle, walking, running, hiking, swimming in lakes, streams, etc. ... and yet ... allergies.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Another "Getting to Know You" Question:

If you could have anything for dinner tonight, what would it be?

My Answer: :)

Main Course
    Mexican food - a sampler plate of Chimichangas, Enchiladas, Tamales, Taquitos etc. with Guacamole and Refried Beans.

Dessert
    Chocolate Lava Cake with Chocolate Ice Cream topped with Chocolate Sauce

Something like that is often my birthday meal. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Well my cardiologist just stopped in...no surgery friday would only weaken heart more.i will start evaluation for heart kidney transplant.. now this is all just preliminary but another at least week in the hospital

You may need both a heart and a kidney transplant?

I'm really sorry to hear that!

Are your family able to see you now and then?

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Options
    Machka - it would be a real toss up between a Pizza Delight pizza (a NB chain) or a roast beef dinner.

Tracey
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Allie:))). I wish you well. I hope for a excellent doctor, a great surgical outcome and a long & happy life. <3<3<3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,605 Member
    Options
    Allie- continued prayers!
    Tracey- thank you for your kind words. Just an idea on pain...I was having all kinds of issues last year. My dr suggested no pork, lots of water, less salt (not usually an issue), less simple carbs. Just a thought. I have done better since limiting pork to no more than twice a month and then usually only 2-3 pieces of bacon, nitrate free, on BLT.
    Dee- Ceasar's creek is right around the corner from me! I am in Bellbrook.

Favorite dinner- Homemade chicken and dumplings. Not that flat noodles things ohioans call dumplings, but fluffy biscuits cooked in the stew. So yummy! Birthdays, Christmas, and cold weekends. Oh, I should take the chicken out of the freezer.😊

Dinner tonight was good. Husband was great on our errands. No lolly gagging. In and out!

Sleepytime calling my name!

Kylia in Ohio where winter is trying to make an appearance