☘️
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    b6n2c0oqklkh.jpeg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Cathy so glad you were not involved in pile up. Icy roads are the worst along with icy sidewalks.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

And I don't think people would particularly notice me sweating.

Hot flashes are more about how I feel inside. I feel like I'm burning up but my husband has touched my face and arms during a hot flash and they're cool.

On the outside, I know my chest and neck turns red like I've had a bit of sun. If you didn't know me well, or if I were a guest speaker somewhere, you would think I'd been out in the sun on the weekend.

And my face "glows" like I've got makeup on - reddish lips, a flush on my cheekbones. I've gone into a hot flash in front of a mirror a couple times and have seen it.

The only sweating I do is to become slightly damp, and there's usually a or two trickle that goes down my back. So when I'm at work, I wear a bra, a tank top to absorb the trickles and a loose, very lightweight top over it.

M in Oz

Machka: Unfortunately, I've been experiencing hot flashes several times/day for over 10 years - easily. My DH has been sitting next to me on the couch when I begin to have a hot flash and told me that HE can feel it!!!! I often joke and say that I'm having a nuclear meltdown or I'm about to self-combust!! It starts like a low warming in the very center of my body and just continues to build in strength and temperature until I break out in a sweat! First little beads of sweat all over my face, forehead, neck, chest and back..... and if I do something to stop it, then it will continue to build until I'm sweating like I've just come in from running a 5K race! I've looked in the mirror and see NO red whatsoever on my face/neck. Just sweat!!

In the winter I'll sometimes step outside on the porch and the cold air will help to stop my meltdown "in its tracks", which only means that it won't continue to build and get worse.... but it still takes several mins (3-5 mins) to go away. If I'm in church or out somewhere else, I've also used pure Peppermint essential oil to bring my body temp down. I put a drop or two on my tongue and hold it in my mouth for 10-15 seconds before swallowing. Peppermint eo is very good for bringing down fevers too - I've used it on my grandbabies. Put a drop on the back of their neck or the soles of their little feet. It works!

But you are right, we are all very different. I even exercise quite a bit, and I still get them. I drink 1 cup of decaf every morning.... makes no difference. I have noticed that I don't get them while I'm doing any kind of exercise or vigorous activity... it's usually when my body is "at rest" like sitting or lying down.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Margaret: Thanks for the advice about the shot at Walgreen's. I will tell DH. He was a pharmacist for 40 years so he's always right on top of his own health care. :smile: I told him and he said he was on their website just yesterday and had to create a profile.

Barbara: Thanks for your prayers for my DH spontaneous remission! That would be WONDERFUL!! 🙏

<3 Teresa in OH
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️💜🟠🔵
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have snow! I can’t actually remember how long ago the last snowfall was. DH says it was 2017. We’ve had skiffs but no measurable snow until today. 🌨🌨🌨
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, Wed:got as far as I could then consolidated vehicle grant questions and emailed, board meeting prep and meeting. Thu: chiro, Freddies.
    Bonus: Wed:2 loads laundry, Board agreed to withdraw application, continue working towards applying next year. Thu: Christmas decorations down and away ;)
    Get to do:, take BP, dogs to powerline, fire district: minutes, withdraw vehicle grant app, start taxes, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; call S, call C, call R, FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    11: Send an encouraging note to someone who needs a boost: emails with music to B.

Whoo ah! After 5 grueling all day sessions working on the fire district’s vehicle grant application the pressure is off. Explained to the board there was simply too much missing information to complete the application by deadline 2pm PT Friday. Will keep slogging away and filling in the blanks and showing up Mondays to make sure new NFIRS forms are filled in for all calls. When they thanked me for all the hard work, I said, that’s ok, learning experience, just come to my house first and save my husband and dogs! ;) Now to get back on track with steps and CICO.

Rita ((hugs)) have the docs suggested any next steps? How frustrating! Good luck Saturday!
    Debbie that’s why after losing one cat to traffic all my cats were indoors only. Transitioning the born-feral Petunia was excruciating but I’d just lost Jasper so persisted. She lived 17 years.

Cathy glad you stayed safe.

Sure felt good to do absolutely NO fire district work today. ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 11, weigh/wii: 11/ Wed:13/40 Thu 1/0, steps>5627=3000, vits=11, log=11, CI<CO=9, CI<250<CO=7, Tumble=5 Shadow=6 mfp=11 outside=5 up hill=5
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=1 dance=1 clean 60 mins=.5 packwalk=1, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7:142  2/14: 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=5 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=5 play=8 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

All seven of ours that we have now were born feral but six of them were kittens when we found the(or they found us- four were born in our yard), only one was an adult that we had been feeding for years. It took her a day of being in the catio window before she started getting comfortable in the house. Now she sleeps on our bed and usually ON us every night. She is the mom to two of the other cats here.
    The last two kittens we brought in we were not going to bring in/keep but their sibling got hit by a car right in front of the house and my son saw it-He was crushed- that day I went out and caught the other two and brought them in- supposed to be until we found a home, that didn't happen. Got attached to them, like the others(the two from the one mom we brought in and were only going to keep one because we already had two cats. She is totally deaf so couldn't survive outside for sure. BUT, her and her brother are so bounded-always together even now.
    Thankfully, both husband and son said no more, even though we are now feeding four ferals outside, two which must belong to someone, pretty friendly but super thin and hungry.
    Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    We're all slightly different.

M in Oz
    For sure, if there were a rather simple cure all for hot flashes I think we would know it.
    auntiebk wrote: »
    - Thu: Christmas decorations down and away ;)
    -make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances
    - finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas,
    - get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup,
    - rewards: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,

Julie 2 hours is better than one! Changing morning routines can be a challenge. Any tricks that work for you? A special coffee for sitting down and starting? A timer for 10 minutes at a time? Or??? IMHO re: the therapist 30 mins 1x/month with someone I trust and resonate with would be more beneficial than more frequent less satisfying sessions. "writing, writing, writing..." Bravissima!
    [
    Sure felt good to do absolutely NO fire district work today. ;)
    Barbara

@Auntiebk Barbara, many times I try to read in your spoilers but I don't totally understand if they were things done today, this week, this month, or goals for this month or a mix....
    good job on xmas decorations. how was the almond paste? yay for decluttering. what dance did you practice. Mulching now! that's SoCal! You sound like a good citizen helping with fire district work.

Thanks for your encouragements. much needed. for sure it's not easy to stick to a major change of schedule in this way. A special coffee, no. I used to get up early, clean, meditate jog, breakfast and start, all very early. That was kind of a ritual, tending to home and body to feel ready. It was in late spring, though. It was way easier to get up and be active very early with 5 am sunrises. I think the cardio helped/helps clear the mind too. So far that is not happening. I wake early but, so far, I don't have it in me to get up and do all that prep stuff to make me feel "in shape" and ready. I tend to answer other emails etc, or read the nytimes.com for example and "relax" when I wake up very early these days, rather than work on the big writing project.
    Sometimes lighting a candle has helped. I DO set a timer. For whatever reason timer sessions in this area are called "pomadoros" after tomato shaped old timers in Italy. The common recommendation is 25 min writing, 5 min break, 4x then longer break (20 for example) then repeat.
    You are right about the therapist. the 1x a month one is covered by health insurance, whereas the not satisfying one costs about 30 euros out of pocket after health insurance, finally. Ok for one time but 4x a month that makes a big chunk out of a modest budget, especially if not satisfying.
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Friday
    Depression, migraine, frustrations, bitter cold, snow, ice......I need SPRING! Actually, maybe I need to work less! Too cold to get in hot tub! Exhausted. Eating sucks. Apparently whiny 😞
    Trying to figure out how to change my attitude about work. Same old, same old. The owners just don't get that they need to be respectful, thankful, and appreciative of the two employees that are carrying their shop! Feel like I made progress yesterday with some paperwork, but am mentally exhausted when I get home at night.

I am thankful for all you ladies! You help me feel I am not alone. You help me realize my feelings are not unusual or weird. THANK YOU!

Going to try to get something necessary (paying bills) done. Maybe shopping list made for pick up. And clean up kitchen before work.

❤🦋
    Kylia loving the prettiness of snow but soooooooo ready for warmer weather in Ohio

Kylia (((hugs))) are you able to get outside during daylight hours ?; a friend said his GP recommended going outside for 45 around midday to combat depression. Of course it's not a cure all. we all have our own solutions, medical or complementary or "other".
    How cold is too cold for hot tub? I have never had a hot tub but my sister yes. Her life is rather simple but they have a hot tub. In snowy winter even VERY cold she does hot tubs. I did one at least when It was like 10°F outside, and the proverbial roll in the snow after. it was fun to do that crazy thing but also nice to be in hot but amidst the cold weather and snow. her back door is RIGHT next to the hot tub though so there are only a few steps in the cold. It's doable.
    Owners or directors unappreciative of those who are making the place run...sounds familiar! Doesn't make it better. An unappreciative boss doesn't help energy level. Do you have some rituals to disconnect with you get home, like : shower or bath and change...music, candle, etc.? I think it's normal to be really tired after a day's work. I guess at 30 or so I often had many lively hours in me after 8h day of work for example, but as years go on, kicking back at the end of the day seems more up my alley.

We used to love going in the hot tub at my now former inlaws. During the winter was the best except that they lived in a trailer and had metal steps going into the house from the yard. Father in law stepped on them with wet feet once and they started to stick- he warned us about that after it happened to him. I loved sitting there with the snow falling on us. They lived in Reno so got some good snow during the winter but pretty warm during the summer.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Friday --

Today, my husband and I attended a beekeeping course.
    http://www.naturalbeekeepingtasmania.com.au/

My husband has been interested in bees since he started working in orchards back about 15 years ago. Bees are an important part of fruit production!

Since his accident, his interest in bees has increased. He has read things about bees, and that's great, but I know his memory and understanding ...

So I finally decided to book us into a class. I also wanted to attend the class to help be his memory and understanding where necessary, and to learn what's involved in case I need to take over at times.

The class was full on from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm!

It was a bit much for my husband ... his battery level dropped toward the end.

However, it was very interesting. I learned a lot (and so did he) and we got to see inside hives for the first time ever! I could attend a class like that every day for a week and still not learn it all!

Plus it was an interesting and different way to spend a day. :)

Machka in Oz

My dad thought it would be great to have a few hives- we plant an acre of garden every year so they would be very helpful. We did have them for a short time. NOT a good idea for someone who is highly allergic to honeybees.
    One time he got stung and the doctor said if it had taken even 5 more minutes to get him to the hospital he would have died. They always had epi-pens all around. I am not sure (don't remember) why he thought it would be a good idea, with his allergy, but know they didnt stay on the property very long. I think mom must have said something. Over 40yrs ago, memory isn't there like it should be.
    Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but a hot tub does not appeal. :noway: I don't like getting wet, unless I'm going to do distance swimming. I know a lot of people love it. :*
    I love swimming, but hate getting in and out. Hate all the bother. Showers give me horrible prickles on my lower legs which drive me crazy. Baths are tolerable, but really don't like the after effects. Not a fan of water. :o
    Tandoori chicken and roasted cauliflower tonight with raita. Yum.
    We have managed to arrange the park meeting for tomorrow. I will take the coat to give to Bea. <3
    This afternoon DH said he was going for a walk on the seafront in wind chill of - 5. He suffers from horribly cold hands, so I gave him one of his Valentines presents a bit early. Winter sports gloves. He said they were great,but the finger tips were a tiny bit cold. Normally he is icy.

Binge watching French shows. Managed 365 calories for one of them.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I think I spent about 8 h or not far from that on and around writing. I worked maybe 4-5 hours on writing organising, etc and then some hours around- I revisited some sights such as 'the thesis whisperer" that give tips. got more into it today.
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    Pip--Sure looking nice with the red rock and greenery. Does it have a fire place?
    Rebecca--WOW!
    Cathy--Terrible accident. I saw pictures. Scares me as I have a son and grandson that drive truck.
    DH called the window company and going to wait a week and see what the weather is before they come to put the last 2 windows in. We have only been waiting since last August. Once these are in will have all new windows on the main floor. Next we want to replace the basement windows.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am feeling cozy and warm at home and love watching the snow falling. It has been a long time since we had snow that stuck so this is a treat. Luckily, we are well stocked and don’t have to go anywhere unless we want to go. :bigsmile:

Katla in snowy NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    No snow yet on Whidbey Island Washington!🙃😔😕🙏🙏💌💕