WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,372 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Tracey - ongoing, unrelenting pain is exhausting. Take of yourself, my friend, and stick to the restrictions.

Penny- many hopes for good outcomes for your grandson. Thinking of you and your family.

Allie - every time I see you post, it lifts my heart.

KJ - Congrats on getting that license! It must be gratifying.

The snowstorm is showing on the weather radar, and should begin in a half hour. The high today is supposed to be 10 degrees and the low tomorrow night will be -1 F (-18 C) Four days ahead that won't rise above freezing, so we're headed into the deep freeze that those west of us have seen already. Fingers crossed the snow is powdery and not sticky--the wet stuff does so much damage to trees and power lines. Should the electric go off, we've got a generator ready and tuned up to support the freezer/fridge, etc., and can sleep in the living room by the fireplace if necessary. While we have gas heat, the thermostat is electric, so the heat will be off.

In the meantime, writing for pay in the mornings, enjoying my afternoons and reveling in the overall sense that my own health is on the way to recovering. It's tiny increments, but I feel a little better every day. Picked up a set of free weights on Friday that span from 2.5 pounds up to 40 pounds. Did a round yesterday and my upper body strength is GONE. At 2.5 pounds, I was pushing hard to get them up in the air. I'll get it back, it will just take time.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    m2yn1vgskfia.png

For me, it would be 1 or 2, depending on mood and time of year.

The thing is, I could just about have 1 at home. Hopefully by the end of 2021 I'll have things sorted and organised and kind of have a 1. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday --

Ongoing dressing room project
    Cycling in a place we haven't gone in a long time
    Dinner at our favourite Indian restaurant for <3

And I'm about to attempt to go to bed at a reasonable hour!

M in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @Machka9 #1

I'm not sure i'd want to live by the sea full time but one month definitely!

• Machka9
    Options
    @Machka9 #1

I'm not sure i'd want to live by the sea full time but one month definitely!

I love it ... been here almost 7 years and being by the sea is definitely the best part.

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Following info is for those who are experiencing cold and snow.

Lisa preventative measures so your pipes don't freeze with the cold that is coming are raising your heat a few degrees (I know the temptation is to turn it down some to save money) open up any cabinet that has pipes in it. This includes interior cabinets. I raised son's home to 70 degrees because of the cold we had last night. It also helps to create a small drip at faucets so water is moving through your system. It is bad enough dealing with the cold and the snow no one wants freezing pipes in the mix.

Beth If you are getting those icicles this means your attic area is not insulated enough. The warm air from your home goes up and melts the snow on your roof. Son's house had some of this a few years ago. I got better insultation for the atitic and a solar vent so the attic space stays at the same temperature as the outside air. Icicles are minimal now because of this. Some people use snow rakes to get rid of the snow on their roof. I have used these but they are a pain. Then so is an ice dam and the damage that causes. Even removing an ice dam is awful they use hot water and that creates puddles of ice around your home. It is also hard to get a good reasonable company to do this work because the demand gets so high.

Our thermostat battery went out last night. DH caught it and our mid level where this thermostat is went down to 59 degrees. We aslo suffered a brief power outage. Scary in this -18 actual temperature. So if you haven't changed those batteries in a while those of you who are going into the deep freeze like us, it might be worth changing those.

We unfortunately right before our deep freeze got freezing rain. I got out and scrapped our driveway and sidewalk while temps were warm enough for salt to work so we have one of the few sidewalks and driveways that do not have ice. I rarely use salt on our driveway and sidewalk but this was one of the times I made and exception because our driveway and sidewalk have an incline. Having those yaktracks have made a tremendous difference too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    Options
    #4 You had me at Pool! I would so love my own pool. Can it be in NYC or Paris please and not in lockdown.

I'm loving having the blinds and curtains open and the roof blind open. Our living room doors are open again to the dining room. Light! Warmth! The temperature has finally taken a turn for the better! Such a relief. :D DH has taken off his longjohns. :p

We had blinis, crême fraiche and faux caviar for lunch with spiced rum and soda. I've ordered the fish and chips and mushy peas for this evening. Hooray! Feels weird not to be cooking! A bottle of vintage champagne is in the fridge.
    Presents went well this morning. :p Had a minor panic when we presented each other with the same sized wrapped hard back. :o Luckily they were different.

Going to row for 30 mins and cycle for 15 while I watch Call My Agent.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,035 Member
    Options
    We have ice all over the ground today and more freezing rain coming. Another day indoors! Steven sent me flowers. Yay! The romance continues, despite the pandemic.

Tracey, hope your pain level improves. So frustrating!

Annie in Delaware
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :) None of those houses seems appealing to me. I am so comfy in my own house that nothing else seems like a good choice.

:)Barbara The vaccine clinic wasn't the one we'll go to. We don't get our second jab until March 5. I just thought it was interesting that weather would interfere with the carefully choreographed plan to vaccinate as many people as possible. Anyone scheduled for Saturday could come to the clinics Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday next week.

:) No more snow overnight. roads are sort of slick but we can walk mostly on the gravel and grass so we'll go out as usual. I'll walk with my regular friend this morning but the Sunday only friend decided to cancel.

:) Grocery pickup this morning.

:)Heather, Hooray for running a bit. I knew you would bounce back.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    m2yn1vgskfia.png

The thing is, I could just about have 1 at home. Hopefully by the end of 2021 I'll have things sorted and organised and kind of have a 1. :)

M in Oz

Machka, I'd want #5. I want the hot tub, and DH would need to FISH!! Lol.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    VIV hubby and I get that sometimes, look up ocular migraine.

Kate UK ❤️
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Watched LUPIN on Netflix, very good but can’t wait for series 2 which they say is coming soon.

Kat UK ❤️
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    m2yn1vgskfia.png

M in Oz

How about #7 A house in the mountains, on a lake, with a gym, a jacuzzi, and a good 4-wheel drive. What I will miss in this situation are various conveniences of living in a city (delivery services, Uber/Lyft, etc.).

While it isn't snowing or freezing here, it is colder than normal (in the low 60s F/high teens C) for us and we are not enjoying it. We have high wind advisories and it just makes being outside very unpleasant. Right now it's 49F/9C. We pay the sunshine tax for good weather and this doesn't meet our requirements.

French toast for breakfast today and I have no idea what we will do for dinner. I've been eating like garbage lately, so maybe something light.

Hugs to those in need. Everyone, stay warm and healthy.

Tina in CA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    I'd vote for #2 or #5 Love the sea view idea, but the the palms and hammock don't call me...

smiles Kim
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Sue in WA: I hope you have power back by now. Stay safe! :heart:

(((Penny:))) I am so sorry to hear that your grandson has had seizures. I hope that they can find the cause of the seizures and good treatment choices. It must be difficult being so far way at a time like this. I wish your grandson the best. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I would choose the sea view. :star:

Heather: Good news about the blinds and curtains! Light and heat are wonderful things. :smiley:

Barbie: We have been given a 2/22 date for our first vaccinations. I hope that they really have the vaccine and we can get our shots.

This seems to be icicle day. I’ll be bringing in bird feeders to thaw and warm up a bit and putting them back outside so the hummingbirds can have sugar water. Right now it is snowing.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,196 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    KJ - Will you have a massive amount of extra paperwork to do with your new status? Lots of regulations? You will be a small business with lots of red tape. I'm allergic to stuff that that, so it fills me with horror. I'm sure you can cope though! :D<3
    Personally I would not make my child comfortable at my house. Once mine were 18, that was that, apart from visits. I always say mine thrived on benign neglect! Actually, the eldest did find life difficult, and still does, but he has been taken in by a very nice womanfriend who mothers him. He still isn't independent. :laugh: I was not happy when he sold his house. But at least he is someone else's problem. I love him, but I could not live with him for more than a couple of days.

Penny - So sorry to hear about your grandson. What age is he? They do have very good medical treatments these days. Can you visit, or are there quarantine restrictions?

My younger son's Spanish au pair is leaving in two weeks, which is over a month early. She had a job lined up in Malaysia for April, but couldn't get a visa because she had less than six months on her passport. So she has to go back to Spain to renew it, it can't be done online. That means 14 days quarantine going out and 10 days coming back, so it's not worth her returning for a short while. I don't know quite how they will manage, as she does a lot of the school runs, but they say they will manage. They are very, very glad not to have someone else living in their house. :o It's a bit of a strain.

Love to all and hope your temperatures start to creep up. It's very unusual for the south coast to be as cold as we had it last week. Normally the sea keeps us warm. Now we are back to normal.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,526 Member
    Options
    Ooooo