WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Heather: My husband and I used au pair services when our children were little. We had one from the time our daughter was about 6 mos old until she went to Kindergarten (my mother who lived with us retired around that time and we no longer needed help). We absolutely loved learning the culture of another country. Although some of the young ladies did not work out, we had three that I am still in contact with today and my kids are now 28,30. We still absolutely think of them as family. One from England, one from S. Africa, and one from France. Two now have families of their own and I have watched their children grow up in photos. Yes, it can be stressful to have someone live in your home, but soooooo much better than strangers who change routinely at daycare. I have always felt so fortunate that our kids were able to stay home and on our schedules. Day care in the US is hit or miss at best. The poor teachers are so underpaid and under valued, turn over is far to high, and too many try to keep the kids seated far too much. Hope things work out for your grandchildren:)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Happy Valentines Day Ladies!!!

Got a notification that one of our last two tax documents was available last night. Logged in this morning to add that to our taxes only to find out it is available to download and look at, but not to import for taxes. TOO much information for me to type, so I wait until the normal deadline to have it available for import. Grrrr.

Other than that, we are toasty at home while we wait on more ice/snow to head our way. We have a lot of tree damage to clean up, but hub says he's waiting on it to warm up so it will probably wait till next weekend. Our power was out more than it was on Thursday. It was only off a bit Friday night. We made it all day yesterday without losing power. They are "warning" us that power could be out for extended periods of time the next 3 days due to cold temperatures and ice/snow. Definitely not normal weather for the TX Hill Country.

Have a great day Ladies!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Heather - I understand what you mean about seeing the Grandchildren giving you a boost. They sure brighten our days.
    I would be nervous too about the driving. Would you feel the same with anyone driving or just dear Johnny?
    Maybe you could trade one of you go with your son and one with your DIL. I don’t know how your insurances work for others driving your vehicle.

Penny - that is scary, I hope they get the right medications sorted right away.

Barbara - I need to ask my Grandson if he is interested in Young Sheldon anymore or if I can go ahead and watch what I have recorded. It was a thing that him and I enjoyed together on sleepovers, but now that that’s not happening. I want a sleepover so badly.
    I agree it was probably much better for Dillon but terrible for his parents. I can sleep fairly well. If I lay the wrong way too long it wakes me but once I get comfortable again I fall back to sleep.

Will the work you did for the grant this year be able to be used towards a proposal for next year?

Viv - I hope the hot flushes calm down soon for you.

Lisa - I hope you don’t lose your power. I don’t know what we would do without power. It would not be good.

Machka - I could settle quite nicely in 2-3 or 5. Get me away from the city.

Margaret - great reminders about keeping pipes from freezing. We had done all of this and still struggled, but living in a mobile home is a unique set of problems in numerous ways.

Heather - I am anxious to open our curtains too. It makes a difference in my mood, so I only have the living room’s closed. I feel claustrophobic if I can’t look out and see nature.
    I was a “live in babysitter”, doesn’t sound as fancy as an au pair, I’m sure there were times the parents wished they were alone too. I left most weekends though. I learned how to keep a house from them and am still in contact with them, except the Dad who passed away.

Annie - it’s so nice to get flowers.

Barbie - how fortunate that you are so incredibly comfortable in your own home. They haven’t started any mass vaccinations here yet, but I like the way a lot of States are doing it in the drive thru way. It wouldn’t work here at this time of year. The nurses giving the vaccines would be frozen.

Kelly - I wish my girls had stayed a bit longer at home. They both left at the same time so that made it harder I think. Lauryn went to school on Sept 1 of 2009, she was 20. Kaitlyn left to move two provinces away (for a boy)a month later on October 2. Lauryn came back after school for a few months then met Ryan and that was that until 2012 when they were flooded out of their apartment, so they stayed with us with the baby for about 5 months. That same Fall Kaitlyn and “the boy” moved back to Edmonton and Kaitlyn stayed with us for two months during that stretch. They all left again in November that year and neither have been back since. The boy is now Kaitlyn’s husband and they bought their first home last July. We moved and don’t really have room for them now, but in an emergency we would work it out.

Can you remind me where you are in the States? I want to say Michigan but I don’t know that I’m correct.

Dee - what is the title of the book about the four princes? It sounds like one my grandchildren would like.
    I hope your feeling better.

Tina - what part of California are you in? I have travelled in parts of the USA with my husband when he drove truck. I saw mostly highways and mostly the Eastern seaboard but had one memorable trip to California. I was so impressed with the scenery on that trip. We lived in NB at the time.

The state of my house is getting to me. I feel bad asking Rodger to do everything and the mess gets me down. He doesn’t see that the floor needs swept and scrubbed, the toilet needs cleaned and the stuff needs dusted. I’ll get through this, I just need patience which was a line too long for me to stand in when God was handing it out.

Today is the Daytona 500, Rodger has agreed to watch it in the bedroom as I can’t get comfortable back on the bed and he knows I would like to watch something besides racing. He will be moving to there in a couple hours when the actual race starts. I don’t mind all the talks beforehand.

Tracey in Edmonton
    -27 with a feels like of -39. Tomorrow it is supposed to be -18 but they said that about today too.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Dandl1986 - All the kids are at school now, which makes it easier, but the parents both work super hard. When the children were small they had a lovely live out nanny, Alice, who they still keep in touch with. <3 Hugely expensive though. :# The last au pair was also lovely, tho not good at discipline, but I never really met this one, with the covid situation. We are not prepared to take on regular duties, although they did ask us once, but, of course, we are there for emergencies and irregular minding. At the moment it would not be allowed anyway. There are after school clubs etc. Maybe they will find a nice older woman to do some part time minding.
    We don't want to have a regular commitment, that limits us for holidays, activities etc. They are now 9, 7 and 4, soon to be 5. I think it is very hard for two very hard working parents. Fortunately they both earn good money, but a lot of the time they are very, very tired. When I was young I walked to school on my own from 5. My own children did the same from 7. That doesn't happen these days. It's a good 20 minutes walk each way. Across a main road. The 9 year old could do it, but not the others.
    One thing is that these days work extends into family time. Email, texts, etc etc. Phone going all the time. Grrr! My DDIL is also studying for an extra certificate. Child and Adolescent Therapy. Lots of work.
    I really admire their hard work.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    <3 Happy Valentines Day Ladies!! <3

Heather: I'm sure the grandchildren were HAPPY to "accidentally" run into you! What a fun idea!!

Rebecca: Athena is so cute! I'm sure you miss her so much!

Kim: that's funny about Levi "giving you a look" and knowing when you turned around that it was time to go home! They have such fun little personalities don't they? Lol.

Barbie: I'm so sorry for your walking friend. How terribly sad.

Beth: I love the icicles picture! You have a good eye!

Tracey: I'm sorry that you're still in so much pain. Hopefully you can get some relief SOON!! How funny is it that he just wanted a bottle of whiskey!? He must have been too lazy to go to the liquor store after he met with you….

Heather: My advice is to face your phobia head on. DON'T let it get the best of you. I know that's hard to do…but you must! About 20 years ago my sister had a growing phobia of driving (traffic made her nervous) and over the years she drove less and less because of it. Eventually she stopped driving altogether because her DH would take her wherever she needed to go. As the fear grew, she retreated from it more and more. She's the same way about going outside of her own home. She's terrified just to take a walk down her own street! Now her DH is in a wheelchair and is not doing well (very poor health) and she's STUCK! She'll never drive again. She's most definitely an agorophobiac! She orders her groceries online and has them delivered. They use Ubereats or DoorDash if they want to "eat out". She's 58 and totally dependent on the emergency squad (for hubby) and the local hospital transit service to get him home after he's released from the hospital. She's in Cinci and I'm 2 hours away near Columbus. It's a sad situation.

Penny: prayers for your grandson.

Lisa: Good for you on your purchase of free weights. I purchased a set of dumbbells for DH that are supposed to come today. We both need to work on our arms and upper body strength. I'm excited about it. I've been using a pair of 2.5lbs that I got at a yard sale years ago, but am ready to move up to the 5lb ones now. I use them sometimes when I'm doing my dancing/aerobics, just to add to the workout.

KJ: that is an amazing photo of the south pier house…. Where do you live? All I can say is WOW !

Dee: Sorry you haven't been feeling well… this Ohio weather has been the longest COLD spell I can remember for several years! I finally got outside for a walk on Fri evening because it got all the way up to 32(F) here! Glad your weigh in was less than you expected -- that's always a nice surprise! And thanks for the recommendation of BOOK OF LOST NAMES. I requested the audiobook from my library and there's an 8 week wait. It must be popular! I recently finished 40 Autumns which was also very good. It was about a family that is split and lives on both sides of the Berlin Wall. I enjoy historical fiction.

I got beautiful flowers for V day from DH. Grocery store flowers, but it's the thought that counts. I made a big breakfast for him and had it ready when he got up this morning. He was surprised. We will order from a restaurant for dinner tonight and then go pick it up and bring it home to eat. As long as I don't have to cook, I'm happy! :smiley:

:heart: Teresa in OH
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Options
    Carol: that's beautiful! She's a natural! And for 9 years old! Very nice - you should be proud!! :smiley:
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    m2yn1vgskfia.png

Tina in CA
    @Machka #2 or 3 for me. Like quiet and reading and the mountains.

KJ we had snow last night and 18 degree weather! Around 8 pm and wind and light snow, the power went out in the whole park! We thought we blew a fuse cause of the heaters but found out otherwise. Got our generator running just in time for the power to come back on. We were lucky in that our RV is well insulated and stayed around 60 when lights went out. It is 10:30 am and only 14 degrees out! Hard to believe it was 80 last week and people were swimming in the lake!

Shots went well. My arm is swollen and black and blue from the shot but no real pain. We shall see... DH is swollen and arm is sore.

I finished a crocheted Afghan for my DMD birthday yesterday and started making a mandalorian with baby Yoda yesterday for fun. Too cold to go outside! I’ll post pics when I get it done!

RvRita
  • dandl1986
    Options
    Tracey: 3o7zfrv6nvje.png
  • dandl1986
    Options
    Teresa: Do you do regular books or do you do kindle? I am almost exclusively kindle now. I use the Columbus library system to borrow ebooks through kindle unlimited on amazon. It has saved me a fortune on buying books and so convenient. I can find a book at 10 at night. I keep a list of books I am interested in on BookBub, so I am always ready for something new. The library also allows me to put books on hold and alerts me through email when a book I want comes up. I love finding books this way. I know a lot of people really love hard copy books and I get it. But I have become a total convert to ebooks during the pandemic.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Carol - your granddaughter is quite talented.

Dee - thank you.

Tracey
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Dee: I do mostly Kindle as well.... and I also go through the Cols Library for them. I also get my audible books on the Libby app through the Cols Library too. I do very few actual books any more. Thanks!!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Upset tummy today. I don’t have any idea why. Staying cozy inside.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    i have a hammock on the balcony of my city apartment! LOL

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Teresa - You are right, it has become a problem. I haven't driven since we moved here, over 2 years ago. I don't like DH driving. :# I'm better in other people's cars. I hate motorways altogether. I love trains.
    Normally it's not a problem as we live in a city with excellent public transport, but there are occasions when we might need to travel by car.
    I am slightly agoraphobic. I don't often go in the garden and only like walking alone when I am in city streets. I spend a lot of time indoors. I don't really like sitting somewhere without at least a parasol over me. I am happiest in the city, or running by the sea.
    I will grit my teeth and sit in the back if we need to drive next weekend. I think I would drive if we had a small city car. Ours is a big 4 wheel drive, bought when we lived in the countryside. Much too big for our tiny streets. DH needs it for when his cricket resumes. It's at least 90 mins each way.
    I'm basically anti car, but I know they are occasionally useful. I haven't needed one in over a year. ;)

Tracey - They are only au pairs because they are foreign, on special work contracts. DDIL employs Spanish ones because the children go to a bilingual school. Unfortunately they don't speak Spanish to her. They are reluctant to speak it to me. They seem to think of it as something they do at school! :o Very annoying to me! :p I even did special revision before we met up yesterday, but they were very reluctant to speak it. I prattle away. >:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    if you want some French Pet names for your significant other for valentine's day here are some ideas! (oh! there's about 1min 20 seconds plug for a language learning thing, that i always skip- this time from about 50 seconds in till about 2min 20 seconds in)

one term of endearment is "my dear little flea"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kZ_2rkSgk
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Tracey and Teresa - I live in Michigan, on the shore of Lake Michigan in a small resort town called Grand Haven.
    Heather- I will only have additional paperwork as it pertains to additional children. So, really no. I will just need to have extra copies of contracts, and child info forms on hand.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Carol love the paintings!