WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Heather - It sounds like a beautiful day.

Machka - backpacks are a big source of prolonged injury. They don’t recommend them for children anymore.

Allie - I think you need to be like when you had babies, sleep when you can regardless of time of day.
    Tom sure has poor timing, you need peace to recover and heal not more stress for something that’s going to be a year down the road.

Barbie - That is exactly my problem, muscles and tendons are working that haven’t worked for a long time.
    I have overall felt better since Thursday though. I bet it was nice to catch up with your walking friend.

Barbara - “Friendly February:
    21: Actively listen to what people say, without judging them: sound advice for today’s Council meeting”.
    I need to do this in meetings, I have such trouble keeping judgement out of my mind sometimes.

This map talk makes me thing how interesting it would be to have a map showing where we all are. Not specific address but county, nearest city or larger areas.

Katla - I really hope you get the vaccine soon. It is just opening up to those over 75 not living in a congregate style home tomorrow, then the rest of the over 75’s next weekend.

Rodger and I are doing laundry, he put the baskets on the counter so I could load the washing machine. I the. Emptied the washing machine and handed clothes for him to out in the dryer. This way I feel useful in some way without doing anything I’m not supposed to.

I think I’ll work on my Diamond Dots today, I may get it finished.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,194 Member
    edited February 2021
    When I look at the USA map I'm mentally placing the US folks on there. :D<3

I rang an old uni room mate friend this afternoon. I'd watched enough series on my tablet. Nice to talk. She lives in Wales and it was pouring with rain, while here we had bright sunshine and warmth. Strange how time falls away when you've known someone so long.

DH's younger daughter moved into her new apartment this weekend. Her sister's two ex husbands helped her move in. :D It’s a fabulous, expensive, one bedroom apartment in Wimbledon, in a lovely converted Victorian school. Very happy for her. She was so unhappy in her old apartment that we feared for her mental health. Just hope she stays employed.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx in Brighton and Hove on the South Coast of England.

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,444 Member
    💖
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    Eeeee
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    HEATHER Think I would enjoy Call my Agent, have to watch when Tom in bed or on my iPad

Kat UK ❤️
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    exermom wrote: »

When we first got to FL gas was $2.29. One week later we bought gas, it was $2.59. I’m afraid it’s only going to get worse!

Michele now in fl

Our per gallon cost is always over $3.50 these days. I think it's around $3.69 right now, though I haven't had much reason to pay attention. I have 800 miles on my car and still haven't put gas in it. :smiley:

Enjoy your time in FL.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2021
    Barbara: We are supposed to get our first shots tomorrow. I’ll believe it when I have a poke in my arm. I hope we will get the vaccine, but I lack trust. They say that they will call us. :ohwell:

Flea: Your suggestion to Allie for getting books through audible.com is a good one. I used to listen to them for the long commute to and from work. I also listened on long road trips to visit distant relatives. :star:

Tracey in Edmonton: We are supposed to be getting our first vaccines though the county health department on Monday. They said they were not sure when the vaccines would be available. DH and I are both in the 70+ group. It should be our turn. The county health department didn’t know when the vaccine would arrive. The last time I talked to them was Friday. :grumble: Your diamond dots is lovely!!! :flowerforyou:

Katla in overcast NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,521 Member
    Stat for the day

Other- 3hrs 10min 35sec, dusting, vacuum, cleaning cabinets in apt. = 870c
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    Machka - backpacks are a big source of prolonged injury. They don’t recommend them for children anymore.

Tracey in Edmonton

I didn't use a backpack as a child ... I used a duffle bag. But here, I see small children wearing backpacks that are almost as big as they are and I really wonder ...

I've been thinking about it, and I've probably used a backpack for the past 25+ years. Since about the mid-1990s. I've had some large ones stuffed with text books ... I recall a time going to university where the only way I could get into my backpack was to hoist it onto a higher surface and then put it on and stagger forward to start walking. They've been so big and heavy I have not been able to crouch and pick something up or I'd topple over.

In recent years, I have started to downsize. The backpack I just "retired" was a largish child's backpack. The one I'm trialling now is about 1/3 that size - a small leather one.

However it does present a problem. I can't put a rolled up rain jacket in it, or my lunch.

So it has got me wondering ... I've been wearing backpacks for 25+ years ... what do other women use to transport stuff to work and back??

Machka in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    :)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,034 Member
    I had a large leather bag for work, big enough for a lunch and some papers. But when I had textbooks year ago, I had a bookbag. I always carried my coat separately.

My mom bought jelly beans. I didn't have any cookies today. If it's not one thing it's another. I gained half a pound which is not very meaningful. I just have to try harder tomorrow.

Annie in Delaware
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,730 Member
    Machka - my commute currently is only about 5 minutes and I drive.
    When I took the bus for 10 years though, I carried a big tote bag, similar to a beach bag. I usually only stuck my wallet in that bag.

I hated carrying anything and if it called for rain or snow I would just wear the coat or carry it over my arm.

Tracey
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

So it has got me wondering ... I've been wearing backpacks for 25+ years ... what do other women use to transport stuff to work and back??

Machka in Oz

I use this.
    eiz9wqkspyx3.png

I haven't had to use the charger yet, but it is nice to know it is there. There is a lap top compartment, as well. I don't know if it's any easier on my back than a back pack would be, probably not, but I still like it.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,684 Member
    Well I did walk with my walker and did 3 walks today plus my PT..and took a 20 minute nap before noon..
    So going to make it until 9 watching Hometown.. and then take the melatonin and tylenol.. im hoping tonight is better..
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,335 Member
    Did a yoga dvd. I’m thinking that tomorrow I’ll take my laptop to the gym and do a step DVD that I brought down

Cathy TX – one time when we opened our pool there was a dead “critter” in it. Have no idea what it was, it was decomposed beyond recognition. And did it ever smell!!! After we got it out we noticed that there were these stains on the bottom of the pool. The only thing we could think of was that this was where it’s teeth ended up. We have a fiberglass pool and, fortunately, we were able to get those stains out.

M – is there a fairly simple way to convert kj’s to calories? I hope the neurosurgeon is able to help you

Heather – congrats. And this isn’t the first time this has happened, either.

Allie – Tom should continue to pay you what he has been paying you. That may mean he has to give up some things. But he doesn’t HAVE to retire, he WANTS to. You are a good-hearted person, but think of your own bills, etc. After all the years you were with Tom, you deserve at least this much. Elana can continue to work, that should help them. If you give in now, what will happen when she retires? Will you have to get even less while they continue to go to FL and such? Even if you have to get a lawyer, in the long run what you pay the lawyer will help you in the future, you can probably get at least the same amount of money. I wouldn’t put it past Tom to use the fact that he’ll take care of Alfie when you need it in exchange for less alimony. You can find someone else just as loving to take care of Alfie. Take care of yourself! I don’t want to see you having to constantly cut corners. You say you don’t have money for a lawyer. If I were you, I’d even take out a loan. You’ll come out ahead.
    Yes, check your library for audio books. I do it all the time. One thing I find really good is that you don’t have to go to the library to get the book or to return it.

Tracey – isn’t the Diamond Dotz fun to do? Beautiful picture!

Michele now in fl
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    M – is there a fairly simple way to convert kj’s to calories? I hope the neurosurgeon is able to help you

Michele now in fl

Divide by 4.

And I hope so too! But I am kind of bracing myself for him telling me that nothing showed up on the scan and I should just lose some more weight, keep active and do some physio exercises, but otherwise live with it. :neutral:

M in Oz

• Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »

:)Allie, I gather from your posts that you are not a reader. Reading is what helped me weather the long recovery from my back surgery in 2016 and my back injury in 2018 when I had to spend so much time inactive.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

That's a great idea. My middle son works nights as a stocking clerk at a big box hardware store. When they are unloading the truck, I gather it is quite social and lots of talking, but once the truck is unloaded, each worker goes to his/her own area of the store and stocks or down stocks. It can get rather boring, so he started listening to pod casts. He grew tired of that, so he subscribed to Audible. He loves it. So you might look into that, Allie. That way you could be resting, with your eyes closed, listening to books, and you might relax better. They have all sorts and many of the books are free, with a basic subscription.

I am sorry to hear that it sounds like Tom is going back to court to reduce your alimony. I hope you can get that taken care of to maintain your living situation.

Everyone take care!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

Just FYI..... I use the Libby app on my smartphone (Android) which links to my library card and I get my audio books from the library for free without a monthly charge (Audible). There are hundreds and hundreds of choices in audiobooks from the library.

:heart: Teresa in OH
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    <3